Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

CommieGIR posted:

Transmission? From what?

Saw this somewhere else. It was quoted as being what $35K in damage to a GT-R looked like.

edit: Found it on reddit. "It's the VR38DETT from a 2010 Nissan GT-R The crate motor we ordered was just over $35k after taxes."
http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/15l1fj/this_is_what_is_left_of_a_35000_motor_after_it/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like an engine, not a trans. Just has the front drive axle going through. Early AWD BMW? You can see the gudgeon pins in the sump and the oil pickup.

I recognise that sump but just...can't....put my finger on it.

edit: beaten.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 29, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

Transmission? From what?

I want to say transfer case from the weird shape, can't read the stamping or tell for sure what it is though.

Edit: :aaaaa:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slack3r posted:

Nah.. Pull the plugs and drain the coolant out of the cylinder(s). Then replace head/gasket and drive 350K miles more.

Calling shenanigans on the seized 4.0L.... Unless there are moving parts that left the crankcase, the 4.0 is unstoppable.

I thought my dad was the only person I knew who blew up a 4.0, he had a temporary drain plug in the oil pan, and when he went to remove it to put a replacement on, somehow it went into the pan instead of off it. He said "who cares", put the new plug on, filled it with oil, and got over 50k miles more until the temporary plug traveled into the rotating mass and eventually windowed the block. He then drove it twenty miles to the dealership when he got his new truck. It was seriously impressive. When the nuclear apocalypse comes, I'm not getting the last of the V8 interceptors to roam the wasteland, I'm finding a 4.0 instead.

Christ allmighty :suspense:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 29, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Holy poo poo people on reddit dont understand how air pressure works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lord Gaga posted:

Is that a revelation to you? :confused:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Doing some woodwork today, making a small shed for storing my garden tools in. Circular saw had other ideas.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Is that a revelation to you? :confused:

I cant figure out how reddit works or tolerate reading it for more than like 30 seconds so yes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InitialDave posted:

Doing some woodwork today, making a small shed for storing my garden tools in. Circular saw had other ideas.

So-long, unnamed Da-Glo tool. We hardly knew ye.

Recommendation: Porter-Cable...if they sell them in the UK.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PainterofCrap posted:

It's an Evolution one from the "Fury" DIY range (they have a higher end "Rage" model too). Actually been perfectly good up to now. If I can't nail it back together, I'll buy another next time I need one.

I don't think we get Porter Cable here, I was looking to see if anywhere had one of their DA polishers a while back and I couldn't find one.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Any brand of tool with product lines named after late 90s ATi graphics cards has to be pretty dodgy, no?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

rscott posted:

Any brand of tool with product lines named after late 90s ATi graphics cards has to be pretty dodgy, no?

Maybe they are branded that way to appeal to murderers?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe they are branded that way to appeal to murderers?
I would buy power tools that were promoted with "As used in Law Abiding Citizen!"

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

gently caress that poo poo, Milwaukee is the way to go

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
gently caress that poo poo, Makita is the way to go.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

I'll agree with this. I got my angle grinder some time in the mid '90s and it still works and looks pretty much as new. Had a lot of use too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Geirskogul posted:

This is the truth. You'll pay a lot more for a Makita tool, but they're far and away better than any other consumer-grade power tool out there...actually, they're better than most contractor-grade tools too.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Harbor freight: for when you only need a tool once.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrChips posted:

This is the truth. You'll pay a lot more for a Makita tool, but they're far and away better than any other consumer-grade power tool out there...actually, they're better than most contractor-grade tools too.

This used to be the case, but their newer inexpensive grinders don't hold up like the old ones. I've got a new four inch that I use with flap discs. It's does ok, but if you really push, it gets uncomfortably hot pretty darn quick. My old rear end four inch is still kicking, never gets hot.

Other than grinders, I'm a huge Makita fan. Their cordless tools rock, their circ saws last forever, and their drills seem to be bulletproof.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seatbelts posted:

gently caress that poo poo, Milwaukee is the way to go

Geirskogul posted:

gently caress y'all, a magnesium-framed P-C circular saw knocked this out in six months with nary a bad cut.

(Milwaukee rocks btw)

General_Failure posted:

I'll agree with this. I got my angle grinder some time in the mid '90s and it still works and looks pretty much as new. Had a lot of use too.
Seconding my Makita angle grinder

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 29, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Ive gotten a tun of mileage out of the BLUE harbor freight 4.5" electric angle grinder, Ive seen the RED one take a poo poo though. Ive had the green one since I was about 16 (8 years) and fabricated a lot of poo poo with it. Its getting rather rusty and was only $10 back in the day.

Ive used the Milwakee 18V lithium ion toqrue driver/drill set that was posted on here a couple times since I bought it. Very happy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Harbor freight: for when you only need a tool half a time.

Fixed that for you.

Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi, Ridgid, and Sears Craftsman have all done me well. Hell even Husky does ok.

My angle grinders are all Ryobi or Craftsman. I prefer the Ryobi ones and I'm not exactly easy on them.

Chopsaw is ridgid. It does well, not as powerful as a high end saw but it'll go through 2x4 quarter wall box tubing easily and cuts 1.75x.120 DOM like butter.

Sawzall is Milwaukee. It's a cross between Chuck Norris and a honey badger and will shake me to pieces before it stalls out.

Circ saw is Makita. Works great, dropped it off the roof a few times and it's fine.

And my palm nailer and framing nailer are Husky. I've been beating the poo poo out of them for nearly two years now and no problems yet, even though my compressor and tool oiling schedule tends to be "ahhh gently caress I forgot again, it doesn't work anymore, better pour some used motor oil in the quickdisconnect, bash it on something to free it up and start framing again!"

My junkyard sawzall is a cordless 18V Ridgid that CommissarGribbs surprised me with after my craftsman one took a poo poo (it owed me nothing, lasted two or three years of horrible abuse and I made more with it than I paid for it.) Works great, battery life annoys me but that's because lithium ion battery charge management is infuriating not because of the saw itself. And batteries cost a mint.

My junkyard angle grinder is a cordless 18V Ryobi One+. Same complaint about the batteries as the Ridgid sawzall, the lithium ion battery that I got for it loves to cockblock me just before I finish cutting something out while the nicads I got for even cheaper at least warn me by slowing down before they die. I haven't had it for long enough to really tell how it is durability wise but if it's the same as my two Ryobi corded grinders, I'll be a fan.

Not sure how but I did manage to kill my HF right angle die grinder before I even got any use out of it, drat thing just straight up wouldn't work.

Oh, the HF air nibbler is pretty cool. It certainly made cutting out a transmission tunnel opening a bit easier, I need more practice before I can make a clean hole with it but it was still better than the alternative, doing it by hand.

We should probably continue this discussion in the tools thread, if anywhere...

My house is like my jeeps, the sills rot out.

structural air.jpg

And a beautifully heat treated U-joint. Check out that bluing!

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 29, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

My house is like my jeeps, the sills rot out.

structural air.jpg

Good thing there's name-brand Tyvek on the adjoining wall.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lord Gaga posted:

People on reddi don't understand how a lot of things work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Good thing there's name-brand Tyvek on the adjoining wall.

That would be my work - the foundation under it is my work too. That wall was just as bad as the one pictured so I tore it completely out, took it down to ground level and rebuilt the foundation, then rebuilt the wall over it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
From local news today. Wrong way DUI.

:stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

Oh yeah, that guy is either dead or paralyzed. Who was the DUI?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

People on reddi don't understand how a lot of things work.

There's more than one reddit? :monocle:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Oh yeah, that guy is either dead or paralyzed. Who was the DUI?

Truck was the DUI. And yeah, dead on impact.

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
These drat bugs that clog up the cooler....

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Chinatown posted:

There's a good reason right there why not to drive old compact cars. I sold my '88 Civic after seeing one get completely destroyed by an Isuzu Rodeo. Both Civic passengers died, and the Rodeo driver walked away.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To be fair, it's not like there's an engine up there to absorb some of that impact.

I've seen lots of mucked up AW11 MR2s, and they generally stand up pretty well (I hope for my sake :ohdear:).

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

leica posted:

There's a good reason right there why not to drive old compact cars. I sold my '88 Civic after seeing one get completely destroyed by an Isuzu Rodeo. Both Civic passengers died, and the Rodeo driver walked away.

It's actually old cars, full stop, size notwithstanding.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Chinatown posted:

Truck was the DUI. And yeah, dead on impact.

I was sitting here thinking "serves the fucker right" because I was assuming the bug was the DUI. Then you had to go and make me feel like a turd.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

Yeah well. You could argue the problem isn't with the compacts but rather with the huge high riding road monsters. It's become an arms race to protect people from having their heads removed by an SUV. Yes I know the vehicle in the crash wasn't an SUV but my point stands.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Same, I saw what appeared to be a US-size license plate and what looked like the truck driver on the right side of the road and assumed the bug was the DUI. Sucks :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

General_Failure posted:

Yeah well. You could argue the problem isn't with the compacts but rather with the huge high riding road monsters.

Agreed, I wouldn't put good odds on chances of survival in a modern compact car in a high speed head-on collision with full-size SUVs/trucks.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was shopping for a new grocery go-getter/child transporter and was considering a Mazda 5 until he saw rear end crash test footage vs. a box truck at speed. I pointed out that it doesn't really matter what you're driving, people sitting in the back (well really, anywhere) of pretty much anything are going to get hosed up if you get rear ended by a box truck at speed. Some scenarios it doesn't matter how big or well-built your vehicle is, if the other vehicle in the accident weighs several times more than yours severe injury or death is inevitable.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Geoj posted:

Agreed, I wouldn't put good odds on chances of survival in a modern compact car in a high speed head-on collision with full-size SUVs/trucks.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who was shopping for a new grocery go-getter/child transporter and was considering a Mazda 5 until he saw rear end crash test footage vs. a box truck at speed. I pointed out that it doesn't really matter what you're driving, people sitting in the back (well really, anywhere) of pretty much anything are going to get hosed up if you get rear ended by a box truck at speed. Some scenarios it doesn't matter how big or well-built your vehicle is, if the other vehicle in the accident weighs several times more than yours severe injury or death is inevitable.

I'm pretty certain that trying to design cars to survive side impacts with SUVs is exactly why modern cars have such high belt lines and tiny winy windows compared to before.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

General_Failure posted:

Yeah well. You could argue the problem isn't with the compacts but rather with the huge high riding road monsters. It's become an arms race to protect people from having their heads removed by an SUV. Yes I know the vehicle in the crash wasn't an SUV but my point stands.

The problem is both. And yes all old cars are unsafe, but compact cars even more so. I'm pretty sure a modern compact would fair much better against their SUV counterparts. Like I said, the results I saw from the accident I mentioned really opened my eyes to the safety of the car I was driving, the Rodeo had some front end damage and the Civic just fell completely apart. I have pictures of it on my desktop at home and could post them later.....I highly doubt that would have happened in a modern Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

The problem is both. And yes all old cars are unsafe, but compact cars even more so. I'm pretty sure a modern compact would fair much better against their SUV counterparts. Like I said, the results I saw from the accident I mentioned really opened my eyes to the safety of the car I was driving, the Rodeo had some front end damage and the Civic just fell completely apart. I have pictures of it on my desktop at home and could post them later.....I highly doubt that would have happened in a modern Civic.

I'm certain modern cars have better safety, but nothing really holds up well against an oversized hunk of metal designed to make inattentive people feel safer.

Personally I'm scared of driving. But about half the vehicles on the roads I travel on are trucks so it wouldn't matter what the hell I'm driving. If one of them hit me I'd be a meat paste with a high iron content.
Might as well attach a semi related rant about cameras, proximity sensors, stability control, auto parking etc.
I don't need that poo poo because I learned how to drive. How are people getting licenses that rely on this poo poo to not kill everyone around them? People getting lazy about driving are as dangerous as the hunk of metal they are piloting.