Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Peven Stan posted:

Just set my rMBP to the scaled 1680x1050. This should've been the resolution at launch :cool:

The only problem is that it feel slower due to the sheer amount of pixel processing. That being said, I'm right there with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

For those with 13inch rMBPs, how is the performance with screen space maxed? Do Mission Control/fullscreen animations play well/at all? Part of me assumes they must since Apple shipped the product, but they also shipped laptops with GMA950s, so I have no idea what to think.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yep, all the animations seem fine to me. It's really useful to have this option available. Some great uses for it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My understanding of TIme Machine is that it backups my whole hard drive so in case it crashes, I can look at my backup and just start from where I left off. I would rather just want something that automatically backs up specific folders that I can just drag and drop on a new computer. Is there a software that does this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

My understanding of TIme Machine is that it backups my whole hard drive so in case it crashes, I can look at my backup and just start from where I left off. I would rather just want something that automatically backs up specific folders that I can just drag and drop on a new computer. Is there a software that does this?

Carbon copy cloner or super duper.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Busy Bee posted:

You can also tweak what Time Machine backs up in System Preferences > Time Machine.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

There isn't a facepalm big enough, but I just realized today that you can drag and drop directly from the spotlight dropdown. And then I figured of course, if you just hold down command + click, it'll reveal the location of the file in the finder.

Anyways most people probably know this, but figured I'd mention it for the few that don't. It's a time saver, and so much better than running search in the finder to find the path of a file.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Oddx posted:

There isn't a facepalm big enough, but I just realized today that you can drag and drop directly from the spotlight dropdown. And then I figured of course, if you just hold down command + click, it'll reveal the location of the file in the finder.

Anyways most people probably know this, but figured I'd mention it for the few that don't. It's a time saver, and so much better than running search in the finder to find the path of a file.

I did not know this! Previously I'd just let spotlight finish then click the "show all results" or whatever button at the bottom then sift through to find the real file. This will be a huge timesaver

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm looking to extend the life of an external backup disk, and one of the steps I'm taking is to unmount the disk from OS X every time it is done backing up. This should prevent things like read/writes from the drives (which should obviously increase the mechanical parts lifespan)... but does a disk spin up/have activity if a disk is unmounted? Is unmounting a disk post-backup a non-needed step?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm looking to extend the life of an external backup disk, and one of the steps I'm taking is to unmount the disk from OS X every time it is done backing up. This should prevent things like read/writes from the drives (which should obviously increase the mechanical parts lifespan)... but does a disk spin up/have activity if a disk is unmounted? Is unmounting a disk post-backup a non-needed step?

Depends on the drive. Example, my cheap WD external spins down when not in use, mounted or unmounted. My LaCie Porsche drive never stops spinning, no matter what.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's also a feature of the USB spec being used- if it's a USB 3.0 drive, there are now idle, sleep, and suspend modes in USB 3.0. The good USB 3.0 controllers will auto-sleep a drive if it detects no significant I/O activity coming from the host, like the ASMEDIA chipset in my super cheapo Inland USB 3.0 enclosure does.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I want a Calendar that works with google Calendar that will show me a weekend only view, including 3 days weekends, for the whole year. To help with planning climbing trips. Could be OSX native or web based.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Something that has bugged me since I purchased my Macbook Air, when I highlight text and immediately start typing the first few letters that I type are automatically highlighted and then deleted. Has anyone else noticed this bug?

For example: if I write "hello world" and then highlight it and start typing "goodbye world" it comes out as "odbye world". This only seems to happen with drag highlighting, if I double click to highlight a word it works fine.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

tofes posted:

Something that has bugged me since I purchased my Macbook Air, when I highlight text and immediately start typing the first few letters that I type are automatically highlighted and then deleted. Has anyone else noticed this bug?

For example: if I write "hello world" and then highlight it and start typing "goodbye world" it comes out as "odbye world". This only seems to happen with drag highlighting, if I double click to highlight a word it works fine.

My late 2010 MBA has never done anything similar.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

tofes posted:

I got my first Mac earlier this year and have been experiencing this as well. It seems to only happen if I drag highlight from right to left AND start typing less than a second or so after highlighting. Doesn't seem like that huge a deal, but if I'm working quickly it can be very annoying. Googling hasn't yielded a fix, so I've just started getting used to highlighting left to right.

Edit: Just did a little more testing. It seems to be a problem with 3-finger drag. Click dragging with the trackpad and using a mouse don't cause this.

Also, dragging left to right doesn't work as well as I've been thinking. I've almost always had to highlight to the end of a line so I didn't realize it's buggy as well. If you left-right highlight in the middle a line and type, it'll start selecting entire words to the right of your highlight. For example, I type "hello world and stuff" left-right highlight "hello" and start typing "goodbye" and it comes out "goodbye stuff."

Supgaiz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 31, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sounds like either a defective trackpad or keyboard (I've seen dozens in the past two years) or you might be wearing some jewelry that's interfering with the pad (rings and bracelets can do this) or you are using some kind of emollient on your hands/fingers that's also causing issues.

Might want to make an appointment at the nearest Fruit Stand and take it in as they have testing software that can check for bad keyboards/trackpads.

I have seen trackpads behave in varying ways, one was so bad that it was as if a poltergeist was randomly selecting icons on the desktop, dragging items to the side to random distances, and creating untitled folders to the point where there was a mountain of them obscuring the hard drive icon.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It isn't defective. When you three finger drag, there is a delay after you lift your fingers before it stops considering it a drag. This is so you can drag, run out of room, plop your fingers down somewhere else and continue dragging.

Surely there is a setting for the delay that you can change via the command line, as is the case for a lot of this kind of stuff, but I don't know what it might be. Or not, I guess, I took a look through the defaults and didn't see anything that looked like it and haven't been able to dig anything up with google either.

breaks fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 31, 2012

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I'm not sure why you provided a link to an iPad wallpaper site. If you have a Retina Macbook Pro, check out Interfacelift: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/

It should automatically determine your wallpaper size and show you the images that match it.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

breaks posted:

It isn't defective. When you three finger drag, there is a delay after you lift your fingers before it stops considering it a drag. This is so you can drag, run out of room, plop your fingers down somewhere else and continue dragging.

Surely there is a setting for the delay that you can change via the command line, as is the case for a lot of this kind of stuff, but I don't know what it might be. Or not, I guess, I took a look through the defaults and didn't see anything that looked like it and haven't been able to dig anything up with google either.

You would think OSX would be smart enough to know when you start typing you're probably done dragging.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I'm not sure why you provided a link to an iPad wallpaper site. If you have a Retina Macbook Pro, check out Interfacelift: http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/

It should automatically determine your wallpaper size and show you the images that match it.

Da fuq? I just thought it was a nicely curated retina wallpaper site. It never made the point across that it is iPad centric.

Wow.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

jink posted:

Da fuq? I just thought it was a nicely curated retina wallpaper site. It never made the point across that it is iPad centric.

Wow.

It's sort of implied in its name; "2048px" comes from 2048x1536, the Retina iPad's display resolution.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
If anyone is a fan of total finder or was looking for a program that gives finder tabbed browsing i highly recommend checking this out. Its free and it feels quite a bit smoother and bug free than total finder does.

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 1, 2013

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

bonzaisushi posted:

If anyone is a fan of total finder or was looking for a program that gives finder tabbed browsing i highly recommend checking this out. Its free and it feels quite a bit smoother and bug free than total finder does.

All I want is something that pretty much exactly replicates the functionality of Total Commander, in particular in that it makes using a mouse completely meaningless and inefficient. :eng99:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I separated my Mountain Lion install with the OS on my solid state drive, and my user directories on the HDD. I'm seeing some weird issues that rebooting isn't helping: clicking 'Show in Finder' in any app doesn't actually do that, clicking on links in, say, Notes.app doesn't open them in the browser, I've borked my homebrew install, and I basically want to format the SSD and re-install the OS. However, everything in ~/Library would still be predicated on the old installation. I'm thinking about removing everything in ~/Library except Application Support/. Does that seem sane?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

bonzaisushi posted:

Awesome, thanks! Definitely less laggy and buggy than TotalFinder (plus now I can right click to make a text document which is the one Windows habit I never broke over the past seven years).

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Is the Network tab in Activity Monitor considered inaccurate? I don't know how I could have sent 14 GB in 2 days. Are there any programs that track apps data usage? I installed Little Snitch to see what's running but I don't think it has that info.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Prate posted:

Is the Network tab in Activity Monitor considered inaccurate? I don't know how I could have sent 14 GB in 2 days. Are there any programs that track apps data usage? I installed Little Snitch to see what's running but I don't think it has that info.

It should be accurate, I assume it uses some kernel-based network activity measurement. Does your router have traffic statistics you could verify those numbers against?

Not sure if Activity Monitor tracks loopback traffic or not.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It should be accurate, I assume it uses some kernel-based network activity measurement. Does your router have traffic statistics you could verify those numbers against?

Not sure if Activity Monitor tracks loopback traffic or not.

Not clearly. It's a 2wire gateway and I think this is all it has for usage statistics:
code:
Transmit and Receive Data
IP		Bytes			Packets		Errors
Transmit:	861278305		7366225		0
Receive:	239725320		9541695		0
Of course I should mention I have an outgoing connection of 512 kbps so.... 14 GB in 2 days.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Since Mission Control won't show minimized applications like Expose in Snow Leopard, I'd like to make one of my "Hot Corners" in Mountain Lion show me Expose. That doesn't seem to be an option though. I can set four-fingers-down to Expose in Trackpad settings though, so it's not like Expose no longer exists. Anyone know how to assign Expose a hot corner or get mission control to shoe minimized apps?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 2, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Prate posted:

Not clearly. It's a 2wire gateway and I think this is all it has for usage statistics:
code:
Of course I should mention I have an outgoing connection of 512 kbps so.... 14 GB in 2 days.

You've transmitted 861MB according to that. Has it reset recently? It's still 4x your received amount.

It could be loopback traffic.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Is there a way in Mountain Lion to show all screen resolutions instead of just the ones Apple displays? I'm trying to get an external monitor to run at 1920X1200 on a late 2011 11" MacBook Air but not having a lot of success.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
I'm about to replace my drives in my early 2011 MBP (from 256 ssd/500gb platter to 512 ssd/ 1tb platter). Doing a fresh install of ML from a USB key.

Is it feasible to install with case-sensitive filesystem these days?

Other than insuring a more UNIXy system I suppose it's not terribly necessary, but I'd feel good about it. Though in these days I'd find it hard to believe that anything outside of Carbon apps would care about it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Prate posted:

code:
Do you stream anything from your computer to a local network? Like an Apple TV or a PS3 or something? Activity Monitor tracks everything that goes in or out of a network port, not just traffic that makes it to the Internet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LordLobo posted:

I'm about to replace my drives in my early 2011 MBP (from 256 ssd/500gb platter to 512 ssd/ 1tb platter). Doing a fresh install of ML from a USB key.

Other than insuring a more UNIXy system I suppose it's not terribly necessary, but I'd feel good about it. Though in these days I'd find it hard to believe that anything outside of Carbon apps would care about it.

I wouldn't do it. You could break anything that isn't expecting it.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

LordLobo posted:

Stick with not case sensitive. If you need something that uses it (i.e. compiling certain linux stuff), you can create a disk image in disk utility that has a case sensitive file system on it and run your stuff in there.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

You've transmitted 861MB according to that. Has it reset recently? It's still 4x your received amount.

It could be loopback traffic.
Around 2 days 13 hours, I think. Since I've posted that the receive traffic data has doubled while the transmit has barely increased so I don't know what the gently caress.

Sonic Dude posted:

Do you stream anything from your computer to a local network? Like an Apple TV or a PS3 or something? Activity Monitor tracks everything that goes in or out of a network port, not just traffic that makes it to the Internet.

Nope. I use dropbox but haven't added anything to it. Would iCloud use a lot of data backing up or syncing data in the background between my Air and iPhone? I haven't added or streamed anything from iTunes Match. I suppose it's nothing serious, just curious where all this data supposedly is coming from. Right now, I have an uptime of 6 hours and Activity Monitor is at around 2 GB sent and received.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Prate posted:

Around 2 days 13 hours, I think. Since I've posted that the receive traffic data has doubled while the transmit has barely increased so I don't know what the gently caress.

Nope. I use dropbox but haven't added anything to it. Would iCloud use a lot of data backing up or syncing data in the background between my Air and iPhone? I haven't added or streamed anything from iTunes Match. I suppose it's nothing serious, just curious where all this data supposedly is coming from. Right now, I have an uptime of 6 hours and Activity Monitor is at around 2 GB sent and received.

Unplug your ethernet cord (or disable your wifi) and see if it goes up.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

TheState posted:

Is there a way in Mountain Lion to show all screen resolutions instead of just the ones Apple displays? I'm trying to get an external monitor to run at 1920X1200 on a late 2011 11" MacBook Air but not having a lot of success.

Really weird. I unplugged the laptop to do something else and came back an hour later and it automatically went to 1920x1200.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
To go in the opposite direction of the thread a bit, I installed OS 9 on an old iBook G3 I had knocking about. Out of curiosity I decided to test out Sherlock 2. I was floored when I saw a few search plugins still work. That said, it's rather disconcerting that some of these sites still use the same search code as they did in the late 90s. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Pertplus posted:

Anyone know how to assign Expose a hot corner or get mission control to shoe minimized apps?

I believe what you're trying to achieve can be done with the following (run in Terminal):

code:
defaults write com.apple.dock expose-group-by-app -bool false
To revert back run this:

code:
defaults write com.apple.dock expose-group-by-app -bool true