Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Until everyone drives those, there's always gonna be danger out there. I imagine these to be filled with a fat-like substance. When you grab the door handle, it's like squeezing a loosely-stuffed sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If it threads properly that owns.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The very definition of think-outside-the-box, ohshitohshitohshit roadside repair creativity. Why I carry paperclips, golf tees and at least one wire coathanger along with the usual tools.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Sockington posted:

To be fair, it's not like there's an engine up there to absorb some of that impact.

I've seen lots of mucked up AW11 MR2s, and they generally stand up pretty well (I hope for my sake :ohdear:).

They are pretty stout for their age and size. I feel safer in it than my third gen camaro.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I bet that made a noise :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I bet that made a noise :stare:

What WAS it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The picture links to the related article (and more pics) :v:

78L V16 Caterpillar

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 30, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CommieGIR posted:

What WAS it?
I think the second commenter got it:

quote:

Did it get hit with a sidewinder.?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Go, crankshaft. Run free!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought I knew a decent amount about machines and engines but I'm constantly looking at photos in this thread and saying, "What the HELL is that!"

I thought a crankshaft had somehow become lodged in the boiler room of an old building.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I thought a crankshaft had somehow become lodged in the boiler room of an old building.

That's about the scale you're working with there; we have 60L Cummins diesels at work and each one is barely small enough to be trucked in on the back of an eighteen wheeler.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General_Failure posted:

I'm certain modern cars have better safety, but nothing really holds up well against an oversized hunk of metal designed to make inattentive people feel safer.

This always makes me wonder about the Smart car. No crumple zones, just a really rigid cage, under the design philosophy that well the other car you're in a collision with will have crumple zones and those will dissipate the energy of the crash so we just need to put you in a stiff cage and you'll be fine.

But putting aside what happens if you crash into a bridge abutment, this is Amurrica, dammit, and we have a huge number of big body-on-frame vehicles that *have* no crumple zones. It's easier to make a small structure stiff than a large one, and so compact cars frequently do better in crash tests then SUVs do, but in a crash *between* a small car and an SUV I'd rather be in the one that has twice as much mass.

PainterofCrap posted:

Why I carry paperclips, golf tees and at least one wire coathanger along with the usual tools.

Your girlfriends must love you.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phanatic posted:

This always makes me wonder about the Smart car. No crumple zones, just a really rigid cage, under the design philosophy that well the other car you're in a collision with will have crumple zones and those will dissipate the energy of the crash so we just need to put you in a stiff cage and you'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3bFhVvdlaI

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tiff's voice is still annoying as all gently caress.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thats pretty impressive for such a small car.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Do these count?

Basically a container ship got hit in a tropical storm and the lashing failed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Those pictures always impress me regarding the strength of the connectors between containers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Devyl posted:

Until everyone drives those, there's always gonna be danger out there. I imagine these to be filled with a fat-like substance. When you grab the door handle, it's like squeezing a loosely-stuffed sausage.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say the Fram extra guard filter is the mechanical failure
on this one.

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it."
-from http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

8th-samurai posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and say the Fram extra guard filter is the mechanical failure
on this one.

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it."

Yes, the Knize family in 2008 did the most comprehensive, scientific and exhaustive study of filters. That's why (both then and now) you see engines failing because of Fram oil filters. He literally cut open tens of filters! His conclusive finding of the oil filter being at fault for his previous car blowing up had nothing to do with lack of maintenance or any other potential failure, it was obviously the filter. :rolleyes:

Let us now consider his wisdom from the same page on Carquest filters:

quote:

Carquest

Like NAPA, they sell two lines of oil filters. One is painted red and the other is painted blue. They are both made by Dana/WIX and the blue one is supposed to be better.

With hard-hitting analysis like that, I don't see how you can question his method.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 30, 2012

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Phanatic posted:

I'd rather be in the one that has twice as much mass.

I'd rather be in the car with half as much mass and be nimble enough to just avoid an accident. Viva Miata :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd rather be in the car with half as much mass and be nimble enough to just avoid an accident. Viva Miata :3:

You can tell who has been to the soccer field and who hasn't. :colbert:

All kidding aside, I agree with you. It's a cold-war style arms race of high belt lines and reduced greenhouses.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Luckily bmws i3 is addressing both issues by making the doors entirely transparent :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

on this one.

Many of them are constructed that way, but not all of them. I have no idea how you tell the difference, but I know that several models that fit on Porsches looked a whole lot like Mahles when I cut them open (I use whatever is cheap for the first start on new engine builds or major work that's going to get an immediate oil change).

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

WebDog posted:

Do these count?

Basically a container ship got hit in a tropical storm and the lashing failed.

Sadly this is more common than most people think. High seas aren't joyrides. I see no mechanical failure though.

Cakefool posted:

Those pictures always impress me regarding the strength of the connectors between containers.

Pretty much this.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Motronic posted:

Many of them are constructed that way, but not all of them. I have no idea how you tell the difference, but I know that several models that fit on Porsches looked a whole lot like Mahles when I cut them open (I use whatever is cheap for the first start on new engine builds or major work that's going to get an immediate oil change).

I always wondered about this. Wouldn't you want the BEST filter after a rebuild to catch everything that shouldn't be in there?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

meatpimp posted:

Yes, the Knize family in 2008 did the most comprehensive, scientific and exhaustive study of filters. That's why (both then and now) you see engines failing because of Fram oil filters. He literally cut open tens of filters! His conclusive finding of the oil filter being at fault for his previous car blowing up had nothing to do with lack of maintenance or any other potential failure, it was obviously the filter. :rolleyes:

Poor construction is poor construction, and you can get better filters for less money. There's no reason to ever touch Fram.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockington posted:

I always wondered about this. Wouldn't you want the BEST filter after a rebuild to catch everything that shouldn't be in there?

I'm not counting on the filter to catch much of anything. I'm counting on it to come out in the oil change and need something on there to make it run without dumping oil everywhere.

This is the initial start oil I'm talking about. It's running mostly while standing still and sorting things out, bringing it up to temp once or twice.

It goes back to quality filters for the change after that, which is usually a 500-mile interval before going back on a normal change schedule.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That still doesn't make sense to me...it sounds a lot like "well, it won't do too much damage."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Godholio posted:

Poor construction is poor construction

But I don't let the fine work of the Knize family and their ability to hacksaw apart an oil filter be the arbiter of filter construction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

That still doesn't make sense to me...it sounds a lot like "well, it won't do too much damage."

It's to remove contamination. I'm not about to waste a filter and good oil on a couple of starts and 10 minutes of running when the fact that I even do that is already what many would be consider to be overkill. I consider it good practice because if there were any large pieces I'd find them quickly in the drain (and know it's time to open up again because I done screwed up) and arguably the primary purpose of this oil change is to "wash" solvent and other contamination out before it get it's "break in" fill (with a proper filter).

This is especially important when recovering from something that had coolant or ATF contamination.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Ya know, Meatpimp, it's time for you to graduate above Ad Hominem..

It's kind of hard to tell sometimes if Motronic is serious, but most of the time he is giving useful information so it really tips the scales.

It's universally accepted that many filters are crap, and the fact that WIX does do many OEM filters for :siren: turbocharged European vehicles :siren: makes me believe they're at least trustworthy enough through the warranty period.

Just because FRAM (and Pennzoil) is chosen at Wal-Mart and JiffyLube doesn't make it worthwhile.. but hey, you saved $20 over buying something better, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

It's kind of hard to tell sometimes if Motronic is serious, but most of the time he is giving useful information so it really tips the scales.

It's universally accepted that many filters are crap, and the fact that WIX does do many OEM filters for :siren: turbocharged European vehicles :siren: makes me believe they're at least trustworthy enough through the warranty period.

Just because FRAM (and Pennzoil) is chosen at Wal-Mart and JiffyLube doesn't make it worthwhile.. but hey, you saved $20 over buying something better, right?

I use K&N oil filters, but stock air filters.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Viggen posted:

And Pennzoil platinum is darn good oil.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

I use K&N oil filters, but stock air filters.

Why can't they make a good cabin filter with a waft of vanilla, anyhow?

sharkytm posted:

And Pennzoil platinum is darn good oil.

I have a graph made that shows that Rotella is truly the best, cheapest oil. Granted, a buddy did it and he just seems to change oil every 2,000 miles at random, but this is what Blackstone had to sa...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Why can't they make a good cabin filter with a waft of vanilla, anyhow?

I see a new market opening up.

And all I use is Rotella, so that makes me feel better...:(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

meatpimp posted:

But I don't let the fine work of the Knize family and their ability to hacksaw apart an oil filter be the arbiter of filter construction.

Nothing you've said disputes their claim.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I would love to see some actual performance comparisons on those oil filters besides "This one's blue and has a thing" and "Got this one from Murray's".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some of the Subaru forums have some comparisons between various oil filters but it mostly has to deal with stuff like drainback pressure, filter volume and filter material. I'm not entirely sure how you would quantitatively measure an oil filter without having a pretty complicated test apparatus.

Here's one thread, if you're curious: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/subaru-oil-filter-comparison-99130/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lowclock posted:

I would love to see some actual performance comparisons on those oil filters besides "This one's blue and has a thing" and "Got this one from Murray's".

This is my point, sorry if I offended the Knize family supporters.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the Subaru forums have some comparisons between various oil filters but it mostly has to deal with stuff like drainback pressure, filter volume and filter material. I'm not entirely sure how you would quantitatively measure an oil filter without having a pretty complicated test apparatus.

Here's one thread, if you're curious: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/subaru-oil-filter-comparison-99130/
This looks like a much better attempt at quantifying the various filters.

Viggen posted:

I don't think "ad hominem" means what you think it means.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you guys all have cars with wierdo expensive oil filters or something? The OEM filters with the actual car maker's stamp on the side is usually cheaper or the same price at the dealer as the orange FRAM ones from Canadian Tire. Why would you use anything else? An oil filter for me is like $5 at the dealer, even if the FRAM one was half the price at $2.50 why would you bother? I'll slurge on the extra $2.50 in case I have to sell the car to some rear end in a top hat like Godholio.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 30, 2012