Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh I have not listened to anything this year based on these lists :/

I'm horrible at keeping up with stuff, I'll wait until end of year lists are out and use those :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm always on the look out for woman fronted metal bands that aren't the epic, melodic opera sounds like Leave's Eyes, Edenbridge, Nightwish etc. Abnormality is your typical death metal with a woman growler that doesn't sound terrible! It's like woman death metal singers are slightly more audible than men because they don't get so guttural and low in their tones.

:staredog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttVe6v31Yk

More hard rock, but still fun to watch ;)

Protons fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 30, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mr. Heroes posted:

I'm always on the look out for woman fronted metal bands that aren't the epic, melodic opera sounds like Leave's Eyes, Edenbridge, Nightwish etc. Abnormality is your typical death metal with a woman growler that doesn't sound terrible! It's like woman death metal singers are slightly more audible than men because they don't get so guttural and low in their tones.
Okay, sure. Generic, but whatever.

quote:

This is not hard rock but it does make me think you're only interested in metal videos that have pretty girls that give you a boner. (also it's terrible poo poo)

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

het posted:

Okay, sure. Generic, but whatever.

This is not hard rock but it does make me think you're only interested in metal videos that have pretty girls that give you a boner. (also it's terrible poo poo)

Thanks for your opinions I guess. I wasn't trying to say they were good, and I thought the staredog gif would sort of hint that I wasn't being serious. I'd hate for you to keep thinking about me having a boner, so here is a folk metal band from the Czech Republic that is fronted by a woman. I know there are lots of you in this thread that like folk metal.

Silent Stream of Godless Elegy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_jXZayVwHQ

Protons fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 30, 2012

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Mr. Heroes posted:

Thanks for your opinions I guess. Is there perhaps a list of acceptable metal bands that are OK to post in this thread? I wasn't trying to say they were good, and I thought the staredog gif would sort of hint that I wasn't being serious. I'd hate for you to keep thinking about me having a boner but whatever.

We could always stick to posting good music that we can appreciate on those terms alone.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh I have not listened to anything this year based on these lists :/

I'm horrible at keeping up with stuff

I agree with this. I'm very picky about music I listen to and taking some time to get to stuff helps sift the fillers.

Then there is that one great band from the eighties you've didn't hear until recently. One or two albums can hold you over for the entire year.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
It feels like it wasn't a particularly good year for metal this year, but if I was to choose two which I would consider 'album of the year' material, it would be Diablo Swing Orchestra's Pandora's Piñata and Sigh's Insomniphobia. Both are eclectic, varied and not what you'd expect from a metal album, but both are absolutely brilliant, and neither album has a track I'd skip. Here are some examples: -

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Voodoo Mon Amour, Justice for Saint Mary and Guerilla Laments.

Sigh - Amnesia, Purgatorium.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I got the pleasure to see reunited thrashers Morbid Saint last night at a tiny venue here in Columbus, and they were amazing. If you get the chance to check them out I most definitely would.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Mr. Heroes posted:

This is the track that I usually use to stitch up my uptight friends who are trve cvlt brvtal about anything. My favourite all female band, and my favourite track of theirs:

Gallhammer- Blind My Eyes

There are less fruity tracks but I really think this song kills.

Certainly not up everyones alley but it is what you asked for plus more to deal with your weird fetish of women fronted metal bands (why don't you care about women participating in any other way?)

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
For me this was an amazing year for metal, because I discovered so many new bands and got new headphones so I can actually appreciate the music better. Here are my ten favorite albums from the year.

1: Black Breath: Sentenced to life. A "death and roll" style album that nails the feel of Entombed without being a direct copy. Mixes metal with punk and a clear sense of fun to the lyrics. Some of the guitar riffs wouldn't sound out of place on an old Motorhead album, even Guns&Roses or Van Halen at their hardest. It's not the most technically complex album out there, but it's just loving good and I have a feeling these guys would be a blast to see live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42ffpQFHZY

2: Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind. Wow. My first Converge album, now I'm frantically going through their back catalog because this is loving brilliant. It opens with an awesome rope-a-dope. "Aimless Arrows" is heavy, but catchy. It's a good emotional song. Then comes "Trespasses." Jesus christ, this is one of the heaviest songs I've heard all year. The whole album is fantastic, Kurt Ballou is superb guitarist. The vocals are good, the lyrics are great, and it's catchy and heavy as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGHKsClB7Nk

3: Lord Mantis: Perverter of the Will. The most genuinely hateful and vile sounding record I've heard all year. I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX73dGH08dU

4:Royal Thunder: CVI. Excellent retro sounding metal band. Harkens back to Zeppelin and Sabbath, except with a female singer. And this woman can loving belt it out. She's got a great smoky voice, and I can't wait to see them live in three weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0r2d5xPFOo

5: Sylosis: Monolith. Excellent Death/Thrash metal band from England. These guys are young but sound polished well beyond their years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocEwt4HHOg

6: Nachtmystium: Silencing Machine. Takes the raw metal of Instinct and fuses it with the more progessive/experimental nature of Addicts to form. Brings a sense of urgency to black metal, sort of the polar opposite of the meandering nature of say Wolves in the Throne Room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsLtZi9438

7: Woods of Ypres: Woods 5. Of course I find the band only to find out that the singer died in a car crash. Fusion of black, funeral and doom metal. The singer had a fantastic voice, very similar to the singer of Type O Negative. A very introspective metal album, it rocks but not with the frenzied energy of Converge. More like rainy day metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMvL-ZoZXU

8:Enslaved: Riitiir. Another band who's back catalog I have to work my way through. I love the mix of growling and clean vocals, the balance is perfect between the two. Long, thundering songs with excellent riffs and drumming. Just a solid, well written and well produced record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQz0_m16SaU

9: Goatwhore: Blood For the Master. Some days you just want to rock out to some over the top, loud as poo poo hysterically blasphemous metal. On those days, this is the go to album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTBJ26P80U

10: High on Fire: De Vermis Mysteriis. A blisteringly fast stoner metal masterpiece about Jesus' time travelling twin brother. If this sentence didn't pique your interest, nothing else I could write would. Just watch this video. It won't explain a goddamn thing, but it needs to be seen anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1gb50iobU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mr. Heroes posted:

here's something that isn't awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zodEXAthDo

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Based on those lists, more people in this thread (and in general) should really listen to the Charon album from earlier this year.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf1HvHq43mw

grindin'

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

gently caress yes. I've been slack for following grindcore this year, could someone give me a run down on good albums released?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

This is the track that I usually use to stitch up my uptight friends who are trve cvlt brvtal about anything. My favourite all female band, and my favourite track of theirs:

Gallhammer- Blind My Eyes

There are less fruity tracks but I really think this song kills.

Certainly not up everyones alley but it is what you asked for plus more to deal with your weird fetish of women fronted metal bands (why don't you care about women participating in any other way?)

Brvtal Pikachv. Holy poo poo.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Big Willy Style posted:

gently caress yes. I've been slack for following grindcore this year, could someone give me a run down on good albums released?

Afgrund - The Age of Dumb
Cellgraft - Cellgraft
Dead Instrument - Violent Death
F.U.B.A.R. - Lead Us to War
gently caress... I'm Dead - Another Gory Mess
Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet Than Live on Your Knees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLw2xhcFVE
Murder Construct - Results
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Noisear - Turbulent Resurgence
Phobia - Remnants of Filth
Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

And just in case, from 2011 since it was a better year for grind:
Brutal Truth - End Time
Defeatist - Tyranny of Decay
Feastem - World Delirium
gently caress the Facts - Die Miserable
gently caress the Facts - Misery
Gridlink - Orphan
Lock Up - Necropolis Transparent
Noisear - Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
Rotten Sound - Cursed
Total loving Destruction - Hater
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
Vicious Bastard - Post Abortion Lust
Wormrot - Dirge
Wormrot - Noise

TeamJesus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 31, 2012

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It was a crazy year for metal, but I am surprised that the Neurosis album is what I keep going back to more and more and liking more each time.

Also the High on Fire reissue of Art of Self Defense blew my mind as much (afraid to say 'more') as De Vermis Mysteriis.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

TeamJesus posted:

Cellgraft - Cellgraft

These guys are from Tampa and are SO GOOD live. I wish they hadn't called it quits this year :(

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
These are some of my favorites that are in no particular order, and some may be accompanied by quotes from reviews I have written for the albums:

Coprophiliac - Whining Bitch Treatment

quote:

What I find to be the most engaging factor as to how Coprophiliac administers their brand of brutal death metal is even though they follow a lot of the same parameters that their predecessors helped create, they are able to sustain an aura that is all their own. As “Whining Bitch Treatment” barrels onward I don’t feel like I’ve heard the music done in this exact same way before. Literally every single track is able to show this off perfectly, but I think my favorite tracks have to be ‘Stump hosed Piss Flaps,’ ‘Menstrual Muck Pancake,’ ‘Ball-Gag Punishment’ and ‘Licking A Treacly rear end.’ I could keep naming off songs that I enjoy, but at this point I would just be listing every song on this album.

The way that Mario and David both spar with each other in terms of their shared vocal duties really helps to give the music a lot of extra brutality, particularly in the cadences themselves. Ranging from high and low vocals, both of the men do an excellent job in helping to show why they are among the best in Italian brutal death metal. I will say that I do get some Syphilic vibes here and there, but as I mentioned above, Coprophiliac are easily able to make this disgusting display of brutal death metal their own. Some of you may be thinking that this could be in a very similar vein to Vulvectomy and I wouldn’t fault any of you one bit for having that assumption. However, Coprophiliac is different in the way they apply their groove and are much faster than Vulvectomy. In fact, I think I prefer Coprophiliac‘s speedy no-holds-bowel porcelain destruction over the slam-oriented clitoral flaying that Vulvectomy is known for.

Splattered - Liquefied Embodied Dissonance
A new hyper brutal death metal band from California, Splattered takes everything that I love about the sub-genre and do a great job of making it their own. With ultra guttural vocals being backed by infectious riffs and devastating drums, Splattered have done a great job thus far making their name known to the world. You can actually go download their EP for free from their bandcamp page.

Napalm Death - Utilitarian

quote:

Each song on “Utilitarian” has its own energetic and undeniable personality. ‘The Wolf I Feed’ is a perfect example of this, as it has a few different tempos and tones, even being ridiculously reminiscent of old-school Fear Factory, which was quite unexpected but enjoyable as hell. ‘Blank Look About Face’ has one of the most powerful beginnings that really gets you pumped for the song as Barney repeatedly barks out the title in a drill-sergeant manner that would make Gunnery Sergeant Hartman quake in his boots. Plus, if you put that over the groovy stylings of Napalm Death then you have one hell of a song. ‘Fall On Their Swords’ is another great example; the usual death metal groove of Napalm is met with an amazing breakdown that peaks with a Gregorian-like chant that sends chills up my spine, and then going straight back into the grindcore violence. Danny Herrara especially stepped up his game, as his performance is stunningly tight and innovative, and that was one of the elements that floored me the most.

I’m sure that some of you may be a little apprehensive of the different elements that infests “Utilitarian,” but don’t you worry, as there are plenty of classically-sounding Napalm Death tracks, such as ‘Leper Colony,’ ‘Collision Course,’ ‘Quarantined,’ ‘Orders Of Magnitude,’ ‘Opposites Attract,’ and ‘A Gag Reflex,’ but they still have some of the new elements in them. Everything you know and love about Napalm Death is still intact, and is unlikely to go anywhere. I even noticed that this album has in some ways gone back to their hardcore punk demo days, as there is a good amount of punk influence in “Utilitarian,” which is a very nice change of pace. Seriously, just pick any song off of this album and you have a guaranteed winner. The only thing that I’m disappointed about is that there were no tracks that were as emotionally-charged as ‘Procrastination On The Empty Vessel’ from “Time Waits For No Slave” was, but ‘Analysis Paralysis’ comes pretty close.

Avenger - Dark Bohemian Metal
Having been around for 20 years playing black/death, Avenger knows how to put together an incredible album with a take on the common mixture that only they are capable of. Their style is almost operatic in a way, with some of the music being chaotically beautiful, if that makes sense. It is definitely one of the most original black/death metal albums I've heard in a very long time.

Cannibal Corpse - Torture

quote:

With my disappointment in what was to be known as “Evisceration Plague,” the mighty death metal stalwarts that is Cannibal Corpse knew they had to come with something that would put every single fan on their collective asses, and that is how “Torture” came to be. From beginning to end you are inundated with the skull-crushing sound of Cannibal Corpse that we all know and love, with even some very interesting ideas thrown into the mix. As I mentioned before, I see a lot of these songs being incredible in a live setting, so that just speaks for how good Cannibal Corpse can be when they are at the top of their game, and by god, they are back with a vengeance. Their groovy and catchy brand of death metal has really taken itself to new heights, and I really hope this is the direction the band continues to go in. “Torture” is definitely for fans of all the “Corpsegrinder”-era material, and I’m sure it will also be able to gain some new fans with how well everything on this album is orchestrated.

Goemagot - Parasitic Incineration

quote:

Very rarely do I find myself so enthralled with demo material, but Goemagot is just able to scratch that brutal death metal itch so well. The musical landscape of “Parasitic Incineration” resembles an international blend of death metal ranging from Disgorge to Putridity and Defeated Sanity to Abominable Putridity, you will not be left feeling underwhelmed. This means that you will get a wonderful mixture of classically styled brutal death with the newer elements of slam sprinkled throughout.

The barbarity that the three men provide is more than enough to put them over the mark, leaving you with a healthy breath of fresh air in [brutal death metal] where most bands tend to produce the same end results repeatedly. While ‘Anthropophagy In The Womb’ has been dubbed as the chosen single that the band has been pushing before the release of the demo, I would have to say that ‘Garbage Plates’ and ‘From Man To Meat’ are where you will truly see Goemagot shine. Each man makes sure to make their mark in the music; Cody McConnell’s bass and vocals give a cataclysmic low-end to Matt Murphy’s emphatically infectious riffs, which greatly compliments Daniel Hemmerich’s tectonic drumming.

Iniquitous Deeds - Iniquitous Deeds
Another new and young brutal death metal band from California, these guys' music just resonates with me incredibly well. There is just something very memorable about the way the songs are composed, particularly 'Disservement' and 'Tomb Of Divine Supremacy'. It also helps that I talk to the guitarist a lot and he has shown me future material that will absolutely blow this EP out of the water, so these guys are certainly not meant to be missed as they are very talented. This is highly recommended for fans of Disgorge.

Splattered Entrails - 2012 EP
Mike O'Hara is a young guitarist/songwriter that has really begun to make a name for himself in the world of underground death metal within these past few years, and he deserves every ounce of recognition. Back in January he released a 7-song EP and a new full-length back in October, as well as releasing other records with Malodorous and Suntorn.

quote:

Tracks such as “Vanity of Perversion,” “Magnum Rivet,” “Screams of Distant Terror,” and “Subject Delta” are easily the stars of this EP as everything inside them feels as fresh as Joe Paterno’s corpse. One thing that a lot of people never seem to comment on in brutal death metal music is the atmosphere it is capable of creating. Everything has a very “hopeless” edge to it, as this is the soundtrack we hear as an all-consuming asteroid heads directly for Earth. Everything you could want from a brutal death metal album is shoved into this 23 minutes EP, and every second of it is pure agonizing (and orgasmic) torture. Mike O’Hara is continuing to make his impressive stamp in the world of brutal death metal, and this EP is just one more gore-covered cog in the restless cannibalizing machine that is Splattered Entrails.

Marduk - Serpent Sermon

quote:

If there is one immediate difference I have seen in “Serpent Sermon” than from the bands other output, it is that this album isn’t as straight forward as one may think. Marduk has created a sound that is much more atmospheric and progressive, mainly relying on Mortuus to draw in the listener… at least that’s what they want you to believe. ’Messianic Pestilence’ comes forth with a fury that only black metal can provide and grants the wish to those who crave a more traditional sound. Even when moving onto ‘Souls For Belial’ for the 800th time I am very happy to see the variation that Marduk is incorporating into their music.

I already mentioned that some may be thrown off by the direction Marduk has taken with “Serpent Sermon“, but this is what makes it exciting, for you are not given just another black metal album. Of course there are going to be the usual mainstays of black metal throughout the album, but the creative liberty the group has taken just works. Mortuus does not just screech in a hail of cacophonous lyrics, but instead uses different shrill approaches while you are pummeled by the rest of the group. For instance, ‘Into Second Death’, ‘Temple of Decay’, ‘M.A.M.M.O.N’, and ‘World of Blades’ take a turn towards more controlled and melodically “epic” territories, and Mortuus takes advantage of the atmosphere and gives a chilling performance, even if he does sound like Shagrath (Dimmu Borgir) at times.

Now, just because I am focusing a lot on elements that we might not have expected from Marduk does not mean you won’t get a healthy dose of blastbeats and razor sharp riffing. ’Messianic Pestilence’, ‘Damnation’s Gold’, ‘Hail Mary (Piss-soaked Genuflexion)’ and ‘Gospel of the Worm’ are crafted with nothing more than blazing hatred. In fact, ‘Damnation’s Gold’ may be my favorite track on this album because not only does it do an excellent job of keeping with Marduk‘s older style, but they also do an amazing job putting in their newer ideas, too. No matter which style one may prefer, there is going to be something that is tailored for everyone on “Serpent Sermon“.

Error - Emptiness
Error are back once again to bring the world another helping of lumbering death/black metal that has a very dissonant and depressing aura to it. The mixture of deep pitch shifted vocals mixed with those of frantic screeching and growling helps to make the chaotic nature of their music work just that much more. This is definitely something to listen to while sitting alone in snow covered woods.

Hellsaw - Trist
The latest Naglfar album sucked really hard, but Hellsaw were here to make up for their blunder. Playing a style of melodic black metal that is very similar to Naglfar, the band had found their footing long ago and continued in that trend, mainly focusing on the creation of riffs that drive everything forward in a memorable manner.

Asphyx - Deathhammer

quote:

For those of you who are unaware of Asphyx‘s sound, they normally have two speeds: slow, depressing and debilitating somber tones, or a mid-paced Panzer hell-bent on crushing everything in its path. The way the track-listing is set up is flawless, in it gives you a perfectly spaced out experience from having one of their faster songs, such as ‘Deathhammer,’ and then being treated to the devastatingly heavy and droning funeral dirge of ‘Minefield’ directly afterwards. It’s that type of reasoning that makes “Deathhammer” feel so fresh and satisfying, because while there is only one instance of two of the same styled tracks doubling up, you are given their two distinct styles one right after the other.

While the ‘faster’ songs are composed very well, the real gems on “Deathhammer” are the slower tunes, such as ‘Minefield,’ ‘Der Landser,’ ‘We Doom You To Death,’ and ‘As The Magma Mammoth Rises.’ We all know that they are going to be ridiculously heavy, which is very true, but there is just a certain way the songs carry themselves that gives it this atmosphere of cataclysmic despair when everything in Asphyx is working together. This is what we would expect from the band, but it seems like they took that expectation and exceeded it tenfold. Paul’s short and haunting melodic licks are razor-sharp and go straight for the jugular. Bob Bagchus is far from the most technical drummer out there, but these are the tracks where he shines, even if he is just keeping a simple beat. He just seems to be ridiculously in sync with whatever Martin or Paul have thrown at him, and it is given an extra boost with the devastating modern production. Alwin Zuur’s bass also makes a huge impact on these tracks, as well. In the faster songs it isn’t as noticeable, but you can clearly hear his influence in the slower songs; a juggernaut trudging through a war zone, if you will.

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

quote:

For nearly 32 minutes you are pummeled and beaten by the blistering pace of Scott Hull’s (Agoraphobic Nosebleed) riff mastery, which still makes him the centerpiece of Pig Destroyer. Not only do I mention Scott’s work, but Adam Jarvis (drums; Misery Index, All Will Fall), Blake Harrison (noise and samples), and J.R. Hayes (vocals) work wonderfully together as always. ”Book Burner” may be thought of as just another ridiculously good grindcore album from these stalwarts of the sub-genre, but Pig Destroyer has created more than that. The sound of “Book Burner” is still firmly rooted in the grindcore sound, but it almost seems more… subdued, if you will. Because of this it gives the band a chance to create some really interesting and groovy sections in some of the longer songs like ‘The Diplomat’, ‘Baltimore Strangler’, ‘The Bug’, and ‘Permanent Funeral’.

While those longer-than-average songs are ridiculously heavy and memorable, I would have to say that it is still the shorter and penetrative songs like ‘Sis’, ‘The American’s Head’, ‘The Underground Man’, ‘Machiavellian’, ‘Burning Palm’, and ‘Kamikaze Heart’ (a personal favorite) that make “Book Burner” one for the ages. Each song is filled with multiple guitar layers to make up for the lack of a bassist, and it works perfectly in order to drive the point home that you are being repeatedly punched in the face by Pig Destroyer. There are also some guest appearances to be made on this album that consists of Katherine “Kat” Katz (Agoraphobic Nosebleed) performing her shrieking on ‘Eve’ and ‘The Bug’, and Jason Netherton (Misery Index, ex-Dying Fetus) throwing in his vocals during ‘The Diplomat’.

Anhedonist - Netherwards

quote:

Hopeless. That is the word that comes to mind when the introductory rumbling of ‘Saturnine’ ends. Each riff sounds incredibly monstrous; a gargantuan demigod has come to crush all that you love and hold dear. Every strike on the drums is skull-shattering. The shrieked lyrics are enough to make ones blackened heart turn to stone. The production would feel right at home on a Funebrarum record (specifically “Beneath The Columns Of Abandoned Gods“), which ironically enough makes me immensely happy while enduring such a depressing sound. The next three tracks are no different from ‘Saturnine’ musically, but they each take different approaches to bring forth such a debilitating and somber atmosphere.

The haunting melodies of ‘Estrangement’ and old-school death metal attack of ‘Carne Libertus’ show that while Anhedonist play a strange hybrid of archaic-yet-refined doom and death metal, it just goes to show how amazingly well they perform their craft. All of the vocals have just the right amount of reverb behind them, and they aren’t over-powered by any of the instruments, making “Netherwards” intensely eerie and memorable. The finale of the album, ‘Inherent Opprobrium’, has an opening that sounds like something from a depressive black metal band such as Silencer. The gently plucked guitar and bass notes hum in a tumultuous mixture of both evil and angelic attributes that slowly guides your mind away from all that ails you. It is easily one of the most relaxing experiences I have had in recent memory when listening to a heavy metal album of any kind.

One must keep in mind that both “Netherwards” and Anhedonist in general is not for everyone. They mix doom and death metal with extreme precision, but you must have patience. This isn’t an album you can just randomly listen to one or two of the songs. This is something you need to make into a full-scale event. It must be listened to the whole way through each and every time. While each song has its own strengths and merits, they become so much more meaningful when each track is working in simpatico with one another. I can understand why this may put off some listeners, but trust me, your faith is not misplaced.

Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity

quote:

Tracks like ‘The Carbon Stampede’, ‘Dead Set On Suicide’, ‘Forced Gender Reassignment’, and ‘Lifestalker’ are all incredibly engaging. But, I would have to say the final three tracks of ‘Your Disposal’, ‘The Monolith’, and ‘Kingdom of Tyrants’ are the real winners here. They build off of that idea to use multiple ideas and make them into one “Monolith of Inhumanity” (do you see what I did there?). ’Your Disposal’ has a wicked black metal tinge to it that I was not expecting, and when you combine that type of riff with Travis Ryan’s vocals then it becomes one cataclysmic affair. When it comes to both ‘The Monolith’ and ‘Kingdom Of Tyrants’, I believe they should have just been put into one track because they work far too well together, and you can watch the video I linked to in order to see my assertions being proven right before your very eyes. I want to mention that if it weren’t for Travis Ryan’s astonishing vocal range or David McGraw’s spectacular drumming than this album wouldn’t be half as good as it is.

Suntorn - The Will To Power

quote:

Suntorn do a magnificent job of being able to blend the elements of slam, brutal death metal, and a minimal deathcore influence thrown in for good measure. Tracks like the aforementioned ’3911′, ‘Mental Enslavement’, ‘Torments Of Existence’, ‘Awaiting Oblivion’ and ‘Catastrophobia’ all have a fantastic flow to them. I particularly enjoyed the solo in ‘Mental Enslavement’ and chugging bridge in ‘Torments Of Existence’. While those songs do follow a particular formula, I felt that there was enough variation in them to satisfy my needs. ’Pick Your Poison’ felt like a b-side from “Nauseate” by Splattered Entrails, which I will gladly take; a short 48 second burst of brutal deathgrind. They even added a cosmic ambient track in the form of ‘Equanimity’ that conjures up a feeling one would have if they were listening to modern day Ulver in order to give you a break from the constant barrage of brutality. We have also seen Travis Ryan (Cattle Decapitation) making some guest vocal appearances lately, namely in the new Soulfly album, and he is also on the very last track, ‘Nature’s Inexorable Imperative’.

Kraanium - Post Mortal Coital Fixation

quote:

’Post Mortal Fixation’ is a short-and-sweet piece that focuses on a real nasty riff that you can’t help but move your body to, which leads into four crushing minutes of ‘Stillborn Neurotic gently caress Feast’. I used to drive 80,000 pound semi-trucks and still operate construction equipment that can exceed well over 60 tons for a living, and this is far heavier than anything I have ever hauled, dug, or scraped off of this earth.

It is because of this primal need for Kraanium to sound so plodding and barbaric that it gives the entirety of “Post Mortal Coital Fixation” a ton of charm. While each song may rely on the slam factor, the band does a magnificent job of somehow not making it sound tired and worn. The Funderud brothers, Martin (vocals) and Mats (guitars), seem to know exactly what is needed for this type of brutal death metal to be incredibly entertaining. Each riff is specifically crafted to invoke that feeling of being crushed to death while Martin’s guttural vocals are akin to a septic tank bursting, which in this case is a very, very good thing. Mitch Rider’s (Blasphtized) drums do far more than just keep a beat; it drives the music much further than it would be able to on its own. Tracks such as the aforementioned ‘Stillborn Neurotic gently caress Feast’, ‘Bursting Rectal Sores’, ‘Slurping the Vaginal Pus’, ‘Crack Whore Pounding’, and ‘Sculptures of Perverse Suffering’ are some of the best slam I have heard this year.

Grave - Endless Procession Of Souls

quote:

The minimal and haunting notes of ‘Dystopia’ ring out in a fashion that not only gets you nodding in your seat, but you can feel your own psyche prepare for the Swedish death metal onslaught that was about to come with ‘Amongst Marble And The Dead’. What emanates from my Sennheiser HD280′s is what all us old school death metal fans crave: an aggressive tried-and-true style that has worked for eons. This formula is one that will be repeated throughout the ten tracks, but this is exactly what we would want from Grave, and nothing less. Armed with infectious groove and melody, the group seems to have found the perfect balance between old-and-new schools of Swedish death metal.

“Endless Procession Of Souls” has a lot to offer you in the ways of fleshripping death metal, such as the aforementioned ‘Amongst Marble And The Dead’, but that groove I mentioned earlier is enough to really turn your world upside down. Take ‘Flesh Epistle’, for example. The riffing in the chorus is so catchy that you can’t help but bang your head. Even the groovy mid-paced beginning of ‘Wind of Chains’ is misleading when it erupts into utter misanthropic chaos.

Paroxysmal Butchering - Supreme Revulsion

quote:

Paroxysmal Butchering is a hybrid of older Gorgasm and Severed Savior with a hearty helping of guttural slam. How in the hell could you ever go wrong with that type of combination? ”Supreme Revulsion” has a ton of energy running through it in every single track. Tim’s vocals range from low growls to high-pitched wailing that help complement the riffs very well. This is not “just another” brutal death metal band in my book. Paroxysmal Butchering has something going for them that not a lot of bands can do, and they have “it”.

Normally at this point I would be listing off what are the best tracks on the album, but I just can’t do it, or else I would be including all of the eleven songs. There is just so much worthwhile material here that it upsets me that this band isn’t bigger than they currently are, but they have managed to cut out a rapetastic niche of fans for themselves.

Incantation - Vanquish in Vengeance
This band has never released one bad album, and they just continue to improve their sound as time goes on. "Vanquish in Vengeance" is a triumphant show of melody mixed with their dark and ethereal nature that only continues to grow stronger as the album goes on. The guitar harmonies that are between John McEntee and Alex Bouks are god drat amazing.

Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet Than to Live on Your Knees
Really pissed off one-man grindcore featuring one of the dudes from Cretin. It has a lot of classic American fife/flute songs interspersed throughout the chaos and it is just really original.

Malodorous - Augury Of The Aborted
After waiting 4.5 years for new material, "Augury Of The Aborted" was released for free and it did not disappoint. While their debut album "Amaranthine Redolence" was a very heavy-yet-dirty produced record, this new demo is crisp and clear as can be. The music has taken a much more original and faster tone and adding in some new vocal styles, giving the music a larger hit than could be expected. If this is where Malodorous plans to go in the future then there is no way I'll be disappointed.

Murder Construct - Results

quote:

There is no filler to be had here; just forward-thinking and pissed off deathgrind, and that’s all it should be. Throughout the furious and winding near-thirty minute journey you are treated to Phobia-esque grindcore mixed with the catchy riffs that make newer Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Kill The Client so drat fun to listen to.

This means that while Travis Ryan’s vocals in Cattle Decapitation are rather adventurous, he does hold himself back to largely rely on his growls. Every once in a while you can hear one of his piercing screams echo in the background, but you won’t get much more than that from him, and you know what? It fits the motif of grindcore perfectly. There are even a couple of surprises along the way, but I won’t spoil them, particularly during ‘Resultados’. I could needlessly go on listing which songs inhabit the true essence of Murder Construct, but I can’t do that since each one has its own crushing identity that must be heard to be believed.

Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
This video will explain all you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U

Plague Widow - Plague Widow

quote:

Throughout 9 tracks and 15 minutes of pure misanthropic brutal death/grind that sounds like a mixture of the string-bending madness that is Wormed and the dissonant misery of Portal, Plague Widow takes up this style and completely make it their own. Tracks like ‘Womb,’ ‘Mabus Incarnate,’ and ‘Void’ show their more straight-forward brutal death influence, while later tracks such as ‘Assimilated Subconscious’ and ‘Operating The Segmental Apparatus’ seem to take that dissonant misery I described and double-down on it with melodic grind shining through. With that kind of versatility in a brutal death/grind band, it can be paramount in propelling them to the next level.

Revel In Flesh - Deathevokation

quote:

What Revel in Flesh do with their old-school death metal is fantastic from beginning to end. ”Deathevokation” treats you to 10 tracks of pure fleshripping terrordeath that all have their own identities. This album took four years to write and the hard work and patience shows through every guitar note, lyric, and drum beat. Revel in Flesh wanted to create an album that pays a perfect homage to how death metal used to be in Europe and excel at their craft. The buzzing melodies in ‘Shadowbreeder,’ ‘Wings of Death,’ ‘Bloodfeast,’ ‘Black Paled Elegy,’ and ‘Subconscious Error’ are enough to get even the most “trve” old-school death metalhead to tap their feet and break their necks. There really aren’t enough good things I can say about “Deathevokation,” but for all of our sanity I am going to cut the pleasantries short lest I wish to repeat myself.

Existem - Years of Winter
Goon-made progressive metal that is really catchy and memorable. I've had this album on repeat for the past couple months and I find that I'm liking it more and more. This is one of my favorite tracks off the album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwdGcvUf-fU

However, my absolutely favorite album this year isn't metal at all. If you are into instrumental spacey/atmospheric jazz/soft rock then I would HIGHLY recommend you check out the album "Soma" by My Sleeping Karma. It's absolutely brilliant and chill, and I find myself coming back to it more than any other album this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H22lajS4GE

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Turk February posted:

These are some of my favorites that are in no particular order:

Huge wall of text

Can you maybe post a bit more about what you liked about them and why, or at least what type of metal those are? I recognize some of the bigger bands like Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer but I really don't know anything about the rest of what you posted.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Hey didn't expect to see Plague Widow mentioned. I really enjoyed their EP. It's grindcore/death metal.

Check it out

http://plaguewidow.bandcamp.com/

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Already mentioned this, I think, but Plague Widow gave out their EP for free on the 25th. Gobbled that poo poo up.

Since the topic of female vocalists is back up, Angist. Full-length coming soon, but not soon enough, durnit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whkVEuTmovc

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

rxcowboy posted:

Can you maybe post a bit more about what you liked about them and why, or at least what type of metal those are? I recognize some of the bigger bands like Napalm Death and Pig Destroyer but I really don't know anything about the rest of what you posted.

You can always just search for the band (+ the album) on YouTube and hear some of their songs to get an idea.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

rxcowboy posted:

You do have a point. A shitload of insight has been added to each album I listed.

nerve posted:

Hey didn't expect to see Plague Widow mentioned. I really enjoyed their EP. It's grindcore/death metal.

Check it out

http://plaguewidow.bandcamp.com/

Plague Widow is awesome, so why the surprise to see them here?

TeamJesus posted:

You can always just search for the band (+ the album) on YouTube and hear some of their songs to get an idea.

Yeah, but he does have a point. It was an extremely lazy way for me to just list off a shitload of album, particularly ones that aren't the typical discussion points in the metal thread.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Turk February posted:

You do have a point. A shitload of insight has been added to each album I listed.

Just wanted to say thank you. I plan on checking out each of the bands you listed and listening to at least a song or two on youtube. The effort was much appreciated.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is there any new death metal about that uses the late 80s/early 90s shouty vocals rather than the bass rumble?

Preferably also good death metal, while we're at it.

On an unrelated note, I loaded up my phone with tons of old thrash and death metal recently just to change things up and Death Strike loving rules.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I just got the new Epica Album with my amazon gift card from Christmas. I like how they mix in politics with their music. I would like to know though if any of Simone's other projects are worth listening to.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

Is there any new death metal about that uses the late 80s/early 90s shouty vocals rather than the bass rumble?

You mean like Deathcult and Bölzer?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not sure if I'd quite put it on the "best albums of 2021" list, but Holy Dragons - Zerstörer is pretty goddamn solid. Guess you could classify it as US style power metal, though the band is originally from Kazakhstan of all places.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Something like Deathcult yeah, ideally with a more fuzzy buzzsaw guitar tone.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MrBling posted:

You might dig the latest Asphyx.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Guy sounds just like John Tardy from Obituary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You know, I spent a long time trying to think of what awesome albums came out this year, but I managed to get 10 together. I debated on even picking up the new Nachtmystium since Blake Judd hosed me out of $25 and won't return my e-mails anymore (I assume it went up his nose, that's okay), but I'm glad I did. I'd say the top 3 here are tied, they're all fantastic beautiful and sorrowful albums in their own rights.

10. Winterfylleth - The Threnody of Triumph
09. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
08. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
07. The Great Old Ones – Al-Azif (Les Acteurs de I’Ombre)
06. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
05. Enslaved - RIITIIR
04. Sigh - In Somniphobia
03. Agalloch - Faustian Echoes
02. Mgła – With Hearts Toward None
01. Panopticon - Kentucky

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Turk February posted:

Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
This video will explain all you need to know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=manW5v-AR7U

Love it, thanks.

Oldstench posted:

Love it, thanks.

I'm still obsessed with Psycroptic so their new album was my 2012 highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPEgzAofkMM

and I've been listening to their first 2001 album a lot. You can see how much they've changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNbHT6ykfc

Something about that dude's riffs I just can't get enough of. A really unique guitarist.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MrBling posted:

Something like Deathcult yeah, ideally with a more fuzzy buzzsaw guitar tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo4b5T2VHVU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Tribulation are releasing a track from their new album at midnight tonight btw. And if you like the horror, check out Stench.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Clit Avoider posted:

Tribulation are releasing a track from their new album at midnight tonight btw. And if you like the horror, check out Stench.

Holy poo poo thanks for this. The Horror is one of my favorite albums like, ever.

And yeah I like Stench a lot too, I'm pretty sure I heard about them from you a while back when I asked for bands like Tribulation.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Also for more people thinking about end of year lists - check the Nightbringer/Acherontas split.

Oh and MrBling: Vampire.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 31, 2012

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yes Spotify that is CLEARLY WHAT I MEANT. I WANTED TO LISTEN TO rear end BONER INSTEAD.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

sticklefifer posted:

Yes Spotify that is CLEARLY WHAT I MEANT. I WANTED TO LISTEN TO rear end BONER INSTEAD.

One of the lesser known drum-machine led porno-grind bands from a bedroom in IL, I assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Here's the new Tribulation track

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tribulation-Official/169889709720460?v=app_178091127385