Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

I think if you play a lot of poker, you'll naturally narrate what you are doing. You do it so much with your cards and chips it becomes second nature with most games.

I usually announce actions and describe mechanics, but it's more from playing Comp REL Magic than anything, where you have to do such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

apophenium posted:

The only game my group plays in complete and utter silence is Dominion. I usually play my turn while also staring blankly at whoever is sitting opposite me. We love Dominion.
People play games in anything other than deadly silence and blank stares?!

:grognardsay:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Quidnose posted:

AN ODD QUESTION TO PONDER:

Do you guys, when playing boardgames, announce what you're doing or play primarily in silence regarding your actions in the game?

When my friends and I play boardgames, we tend to talk through our moves as we're doing them. "Ok, I'm using my three die to take this from the stock, then I am using my 5 die to put it into my manor here, which gets me blah blah blah." I think this may have started as a teaching tool for ourselves as we learned to play games, or maybe we just don't trust each other so we announce poo poo so that we can check each other's actions, haha.

But do other people do this, or is my group just nutso?

I absolutely announce what I do. I think that I introduce a lot of new games reinforces this, because a lot of times I declare how I'm playing to make sure other players see and learn what I'm doing. Now, even when playing with experienced players, I tend to announce things; maybe I want to make sure no one catches me messing up or thinks I'm cheating?

I had a good game day today. I got to play 3-player Pirate Dice, 4-player Archipelago, and 5-player The Great Zimbabwe.

The game of Pirate Dice was my first play of it. It's basically Robo-Rally with action dice instead of cards in a pirate setting. Unlike Robo-Rally, however, Pirate Dice does not take forever! I enjoyed it as a nice, relatively light play. I also won the game we played, so that's a plus.

Archipelago was interesting this time in that it was the first time I've had a game where the Separatist (i.e. traitor player) won. I think the chances of this outcome can vary greatly on whom you're playing with. Archipelago is semi-cooperative, and quite simply if players ignore the "everyone loses except maybe a traitor" condition, it can very well occur! There is a lot to wrap your head around in this one.

Finally, The Great Zimbabwe was as much of a blast as you can have with a heavy, dry euro. The game's length can change a lot based on the player count (the two-player game can be over in half and hour and our five-player game took two hours), and we barely had enough time for one player to grab a last-minute victory. I really like the mix of placing buildings on a grid-ed board and blocking out resources. It feels like an evolution to the worker-placement genre's indirect conflicts. I'm glad I got to play this one recently; it's definitely one of my favorites (although I seem to be in the minority in this one).

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Quidnose posted:

Do you guys, when playing boardgames, announce what you're doing or play primarily in silence regarding your actions in the game?

When my friends and I play boardgames, we tend to talk through our moves as we're doing them. "Ok, I'm using my three die to take this from the stock, then I am using my 5 die to put it into my manor here, which gets me blah blah blah." I think this may have started as a teaching tool for ourselves as we learned to play games, or maybe we just don't trust each other so we announce poo poo so that we can check each other's actions, haha.

It depends on the game and the situation. For any sort of complex action where it's not obvious from the final state of the board what was done, it's pretty much mandatory. On the other hand, some actions are pretty much self-explanatory. Through The Desert is one game I recall being super quiet, because announcing that you're placing camels every time you do so would get annoying fast.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
With Chaos specifically there is a section in the rule book that describes the basic strategy for each god. That was very helpful while learning.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I bought myself a nice new years gift consisting of Mage Knight, 7 Wonders, the Netrunner Data Pack, and some sleeves. Mage Knight looks very impressive, and 7 Wonders will be the go to game if I ever have more than 4 people around to play a game.

CoolStuffInc says they'll all get here next week. I'm really excited! :dance:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
MtG got me in the habit of at least briefly explaining each move.

"Draw, Forest, tap, Llanowar, go."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How verbose we are typically depends on how familiar we are with the game, how complex it is, and how many people are around the table. If it's a two-player game that we both know, we just chat about whatever and only announce our moves if it's something that affects the other person.

If it's a larger game, we tend to mix the cliff-notes version of our moves into the conversation for the benefit of everyone around the table who might not have a good view. And if the game is complex or unfamiliar, we go into more detail about what we're doing so everyone's on the same page.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Colon V posted:

MtG got me in the habit of at least briefly explaining each move.

"Draw, Forest, tap, Llanowar, go."

I do the same with Ascension except its "3 and 2, mystic, smack the cultist, done"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just played Mage Wars and really enjoyed it. What do I have to buy in order to have twice the spells that the game comes with? Hopefully not a whole new game with a useless board.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

apophenium posted:

The only game my group plays in complete and utter silence is Dominion. I usually play my turn while also staring blankly at whoever is sitting opposite me. We love Dominion.

I was put off Dominion for years, because I first played it with a bunch of very competitive players who knew exactly what they were doing in the game; they would be taking their turns silently and so fast they were almost simultaneous, while I was sitting there going 'what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing?'. It's amazing how cutthroat players can be in it.

Even now I don't really like playing it, which I realise is just me being dumb because I'll happily play stuff like Quarriors.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Stelas posted:

I was put off Dominion for years, because I first played it with a bunch of very competitive players who knew exactly what they were doing in the game; they would be taking their turns silently and so fast they were almost simultaneous, while I was sitting there going 'what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing?'. It's amazing how cutthroat players can be in it.

Even now I don't really like playing it, which I realise is just me being dumb because I'll happily play stuff like Quarriors.

I don't like Dominion, but have liked almost every other deckbuilder I've tried. It's not just you. Something about that game just doesn't work for me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

People play games in anything other than deadly silence and blank stares?!

:grognardsay:
Sometimes a new person will talk, and one of us will glare at them and silently shake our heads. Eventually they get the hint.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

It is getting pretty clearclaw in this thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Quidnose posted:

We narrate our turns with pretty much any game that has us take turns. Dominion especially; it keeps everyone engaged in the game and makes it easier to pay attention to what everyone is doing. Not so much for a game like 7 Wonders where if we all narrated our actions we'd just talk over each other, though usually someone is speaking to make sure all out turns are synchronised. Nothing worse than suddenly finding you don't have a hand to pick up because the guy to your right didn't notice someone asking if everyone was ready to reveal.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

apophenium posted:

My 10 year old and I spend our Dominion games trash talking each other most of the time, I wonder how people say it's only multiplayer solitaire since our games are very interactive.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Echophonic posted:

I don't like Dominion, but have liked almost every other deckbuilder I've tried. It's not just you. Something about that game just doesn't work for me.

I'm exactly the same way. Dominion feels like a stripped down illustration of the concept of deckbuilding games to me rather than a full game.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I'm in the same boat. Dominion feels like there is an optimal play give the board and deck conditions and either I figure it out or I don't and it isn't fun to me either way. I'd rather play Quarriors, Ascension, Legendary, etc.

Speaking of, I didn't see that anyone answered the rules question about the Quarriors expansions. The 'advanced' rules are that you can buy a base of two dice per turn and that when you score a creature, that is that die that is culled back to the wilds (instead of whatever die you want out of your discard pile). I find that these rules balance the game much better and greatly reduce run away games since an early 4+ point creature will only get to score once.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like the advanced buy rules for Quarriors, but I can take or leave the expert scoring. The former actually makes cheap creatures viable (which I think is awesome) and speeds the game up. The latter feels like it slows the game down too much for my taste. Anything that does that makes playing with my group feel like it's violating the Geneva Convention somehow.

I much prefer deckbuilders that let you buy as much as you like and give you the opportunity to cycle things out. It's fun getting a good combo together and just burning through your entire deck in one turn. Ascension lets you do this to a point, but it's so drat swingy and luck-driven. Least you get to curse at people for taking the stuff you wanted. Tanto Cuore does this nicely with a lot of card combinations. Legendary hits a sweet spot, though. Some hero combinations let you get the SHIELD guys out of your deck, others don't, so it's different every time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, we played Zombiecide today! I thought it was pretty fun, but I'm not sure how good of a game I think it is. I was playing as Josh, who is awesome at getting away from zombies. The characters are all pretty different, which was nice. We ran the first mission in the book, which is a supply run. We got some lucky pulls for equipment, so we had a roller-skating waitress with a chainsaw and an office worked with dual-SMGs taking out zombies left and right, but we still lost. It got pretty intense towards the end. As you level up, the zombie spawns get more and more gnarly, so killing too many too early means you get swarmed FAST. At the end, we were in an intersection with a spawn behind us. The walker types got on top of us, must have been 10 or so zombies in the square with us. It definitely felt like a zombie movie!

What killed us? Running out of runner zombie models, so the ones that were on top of us got an extra turn, burning out the last of our wounds. I'd probably play it again, but I don't know about the other folks I played with.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 30, 2012

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Dominion didn't truly start to shine for me til I got some of the more extreme expansions. Dark Ages is tremendous fun. I do want to try some of the other drafting deck builder games at some point though.

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
My board game group just wouldn't be the same without alcohol and rambling while playing, whether the discussion be about the game at hand or entirely off topic. Why anyone would ever play boardgames in silence is beyond me.

PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!

GrandpaPants posted:

That's not at all what I was asking, and your post in general seems kinda unnecessarily abrasive. I've taught this game to a lot of non-gamers and they picked up the game and the basic strategy needed to win, even if they ultimately didn't, so no, I don't think it's my teaching style. I am not a grand master expert at the game, seeing as somehow for some reason I've never played anything but Khorne or Nurgle, but I am going to assume it is extraordinarily rare that no regions were ruined by the end of the game, on Round 6 via dial.

The root of the question is what you should do when someone isn't taking advice to the detriment of the game and other players, like, as I said, Nurgle only making like 5 cultists total the entire game. Other people have addressed this issue with good responses, which apparently tends to be "don't play with them," although a second game would probably have seen a better fight. You just sorta decided to be a dick, so maybe chill out and take the time to read first?
I did read first. and all the posts supported the notion that if someone sucks their first time playing a complicated game, they should be dumped from the play group. Which is why I was heated and spoke for a different point of view. Now that there's more posts that learn toward my point of view in a better way, I don't have to think this place is crazy and see that people just have different opinions.

quote:

The root of the question is what you should do when someone isn't taking advice to the detriment of the game and other players, like, as I said, Nurgle only making like 5 cultists total the entire game.
It's the first game when one person knows how to play and everyone else doesn't. I'd say play again and reiterate your suggestions more, explaining why they're good. I get the feeling that it doesn't matter who was in the nurgle seat, since they're all new players they all would have made the same mistake and lost the same way. Which you did say they all did do, trying to "fight Khorne" which I assume is a bad move.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I absolutely cannot stand people who play games in complete silence. I don;t think there should be so much talking it slows a game down, but at least enough to that you know you're playing with people who are alive. poo poo talking is also pretty much standard in every game we play.

The first few times I played Dominion, the guys "teaching" me the game were completely silent and insanely quick. They sucked at teaching me the rules, so I hated Dominion and refused to play it. A few weeks after that, I played with some people who actually had fun with the game and didn't Assbergers, and now I love Dominion.

Anyway, I just got Marvel's Legendary today. What are people's thoughts? Are there any rules or anything that seem tricky or easily hosed up? I plan on playing a solo game later to get things down before teaching my wife and the group.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Game's easy and fun, just remember to point out to anyone new to deck building games that being able to get rid of the starting SHIELD cards after beating certain villains is actually a good thing, not a bad one.

As for setup, you can go with what the instructions recommend, but if you're going to play a solo game anyway, I'd say just roll with whichever heroes and villains people like.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Soma Soma Soma posted:

My board game group just wouldn't be the same without alcohol and rambling while playing, whether the discussion be about the game at hand or entirely off topic. Why anyone would ever play boardgames in silence is beyond me.

This is our style. Only a drink or two though so I can drive home safely.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lorini posted:

Just played Mage Wars and really enjoyed it. What do I have to buy in order to have twice the spells that the game comes with? Hopefully not a whole new game with a useless board.

Core Spell Tome. One is plenty unless you want to outfit everyone with Moonstone Amulets. There's another one coming out soon that will fill out the other 'half' of the spells but I don't think it's really necessary. I found with one core spell tome and the stuff in the box I was able to build all 4 Mages quite effectively.

Honestly though, I would get a second box. Then you can do 4 player, which needs 2 boards, and having more tokens is really handy. The boards are also not the most durable thing, due to being giant. I always find the bigger the component the quicker it degrades.

TenjouUtena posted:

I usually announce actions and describe mechanics, but it's more from playing Comp REL Magic than anything, where you have to do such things.

This for me. If the game isn't dragging, or I'm doing something complicated; then I'll explain it. If the game is simple enough then I won't bother, unless I want someone to specifically know what I'm doing "I'm attacking YOU!"

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 30, 2012

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

KamikazeJim posted:

I got over to the Go! store at my local mall. Most of what was there was stuff I already have or crap like 30 different version of Monopoly, but I did pick up a copy of Hey, That's My Fish for 50% off. I have to say What The gently caress at the size of the box compared to the components inside. It's like 95% insert for fucks sake, it easily could have fit in a Citadels/Death Angel sized box.

The current edition comes in a box about half the size of Citadels. It is awesome.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

black metal hugbox posted:

It is getting pretty clearclaw in this thread.

Quoting this because clearclaw taught me how to play 18XX. Literally the hardest my mind has worked since college.

Is he BGG-famous?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

KamikazeJim posted:

I got over to the Go! store at my local mall. Most of what was there was stuff I already have or crap like 30 different version of Monopoly, but I did pick up a copy of Hey, That's My Fish for 50% off. I have to say What The gently caress at the size of the box compared to the components inside. It's like 95% insert for fucks sake, it easily could have fit in a Citadels/Death Angel sized box.

Fantasy Flight has republished Hey That's My Fish, and the box is literally about half the size of the Citadels box. It's a pretty nifty reprint, actually, and goes for about 10 bucks.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The game where I tend to crack the most jokes and as a group we always chat away and joke around is 18xx. It's not really about the difficulty of the game, but about the people you play with. I tend to avoid the people that play in stony silence for the entirety of the game.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is a question arising from a dispute I have with my father about Scrabble. He has some insane version of the game where the rules (or the printout he showed me, anyway) allow a player to take a letter from an already-played and scored word on the board, and then use that letter (in the same turn) in combination with the other letters he already has to make a new word. If I understand this "rule" correctly, he also has to replace the letter he removed from the board with a letter that also makes a valid word.

My version of scrabble doesn't say anything about this type of play, it explicitly forbids removing a played tile from the board. No other version of Scrabble I've ever seen has this rule, and I call it bullshit. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Can anyone point me to an authoritative source?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is Super Dungeon Explore actually a fun game? I bought it because I'm a sucker and I was able to get it for 45 bucks, but I wonder if I should introduce it to my boardgame group before something like Castle Ravenloft and other easy to play games

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Number_6 posted:

This is a question arising from a dispute I have with my father about Scrabble. He has some insane version of the game where the rules (or the printout he showed me, anyway) allow a player to take a letter from an already-played and scored word on the board, and then use that letter (in the same turn) in combination with the other letters he already has to make a new word. If I understand this "rule" correctly, he also has to replace the letter he removed from the board with a letter that also makes a valid word.

My version of scrabble doesn't say anything about this type of play, it explicitly forbids removing a played tile from the board. No other version of Scrabble I've ever seen has this rule, and I call it bullshit. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Yes, it's called "cheating". Sounds like an interesting variation, though, so long as you're playing with the timer.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Number_6 posted:

My version of scrabble doesn't say anything about this type of play, it explicitly forbids removing a played tile from the board. No other version of Scrabble I've ever seen has this rule, and I call it bullshit. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Can anyone point me to an authoritative source?
Kinda sounds like somebody misunderstood the concept of playing off the tiles already on the board.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Frankly if you are going to play in stony silence, buy an IPad and call it a day.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sometimes it gets quiet when something important needs to be done, like deciding how to stop someone from winning. This then evolves into a group agreement to do option A, the next player does B and then the third player does C, so the fourth guy can't win.

This makes it all the better when the fourth player then starts narrating his victory through option D.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Most of my friends play CCG's competitively (mostly Magic), so we've gotten in the habit of announcing everything. It makes it easier for me to OCD and make sure everyone's following the rules. Only new players seem to not announce things very well.

Also, if you don't talk while playing a game, how are you supposed to come up with inside jokes to confuse other people with later?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm imagining you guys are all like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyUluO-1vwY

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

I'm imagining you guys are all like this:

That's an absurd assumption. I mean, there's hardly any neckbeard on that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

zandert33 posted:

My 10 year old and I spend our Dominion games trash talking each other most of the time, I wonder how people say it's only multiplayer solitaire since our games are very interactive.

Well it kind of is. The only real way to interact with players is through attacks and it seems like most attacks are only undertaken if the primary (+draw, +action) effects benefit the player casting it. Well, I guess the other way to interact is by purposely ending the game through buying cards in 3 stacks.

• Locked thread