Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached
Intro

Since the iTunes App Store was introduced in July 2008, the iPhone and iPod Touch have become quite the mobile gaming powerhouse, with some of its best titles rivaling what you'd see on the DS, 3DS, PSP or PS Vita. Every week numerous new games are released, and while the App Store does a decent job of highlighting some titles, lots of great games get lost in the cracks. The purpose of this thread is to offer a one-stop shop for discussing all iOS games.

iOS Systems

This thread covers all iOS games, which currently work on the following systems:

The iPhone 5 (and earlier)
The iPod Touch
The iPad 4 (and earlier)
The iPad Mini

How the OP Works

As I mentioned above, there are a TON of games on the App Store, and it'd be way too onerous to try and keep track of all the worthy games on the OP. Therefore, the goal of this OP is to act as the middle-man for getting tons of games. I'll be providing links to best-of lists created by iOS gaming sites, as well as our own thread users. In addition, the second and third posts of the OP contain older games that were recommended by previous threads.

iOS Threads For Specific Games

Other iOS Related Threads

Outside Links

There is only one outside link (IMO) that you need to know. Touch Arcade is by far one of the best iOS Gaming Sites, especially since the editor-in-chief is our own io_burn along with a freelance team that features other goons as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Games (i.e. what you should be playing now):

Rather than try and keep this even remotely updated (because I'm lazy), I'm just going to link to a bunch of Touch Arcade articles that do an awesome job telling you what games you should be buying.

First off, the Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012 is the most up to date article that has a very lengthy discussion of the best games of the year. In addition, here are a few other articles with even more lists of games worth checking out:

Random Game Recommendations from Goons in this Thread:

• Final Fantasy IV
  • Ghost Trick
  • Ravensword: Shadowlands
tuyop

• Puzzle craft
  • Battle cats
  • Punch Quest
  • Spell Sword
  • Ski Safari
  • Epic Astro Story
  • Dungeon Story
  • Dungeon Town
  • Dungeon Raid
  • Spaceteam
  • The Walking Dead
  • Minigore 2
  • Super Hexagon
  • Tilt to Live

Bummey

• Sally's Salon, Spa and Studio. And Heartland, aka Sally's Horse Barn
  • Airport Mania 1 and 2
  • Puzzle Agent 1 and 2
  • Puzzle Craft
  • New Star Soccer
  • Tiny Heroes
  • Geo Defense
  • Kingdom Rush
  • TanZen, TriZen and Zentomino
  • Trainyard
  • 7 Little Words
  • Vanguard Storm
  • Helsing's Fire
  • Sword and Poker 1 and 2
  • Bike Baron
  • Pretty much everything Kairosoft
  • Mini Squadron
  • The Quest and Undercroft
  • Knights of Pen & Paper
  • King of Dragon Pass. Those ducks are thugs!

Shwqa

• Final fantasy Tactics
  • Tactical warrior
  • Carmageddon
  • Infinity blade 2
  • Kingdom rush
  • RAD solider
  • Civilization revolution
  • Arc squadron
  • Battles cats
  • Karate girl
  • Lost wind
  • Ascension

iOS Games FAQ

How do I review an App?

Not like this:

hippieman posted:

I made a film today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBeOGcwqg4

(YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBeOGcwqg4 )

Rules of the Thread

1. This thread is for any and all things related to iOS gaming. This includes iPad-only games (See below). Got a game you think other goons should check out? Post it here! Feel like a title didn't live up to the hype? Toss a rant here as well! Got a list of your currently favorite games? Let us know and tell us why they're still on your springboard. Seriously, I suck with keeping up with huge lists of the hottest games, so it's really up to you guys to let us know what's good and what isn't.

2. When talking about games, please mention if it's an iPad only title, or one of the games that either has a universal binary or a title that has both an iPad and non-iPad version. Alas, not all of us have iPads, so it's a good thing to keep in mind. There's also an iPad only Apps & Games Megathread located here.

3. NO SPOILING GAMES :stare:

4. Finally, don't be a dick.

Questions? Comments? Requests for games to be posted in the OP? Feel free to post it in the thread or send me a PM if you feel it pressing. Alas, like most hard working goons, I have a job that sucks the life out of me, but I'll try and update as soon as I can.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached
This post deals with games that are somewhat newer than The Giant loving List of iPhone Games (See Below). As games move off the OP, they will be placed here.

Previous Featured Games in this thread:

Mage Gauntlet (Goon Made!) - This Action RPG is an homage to the 16-bit era of awesome RPGs. Just get it now.

Shadowgun - The latest ultra graphical shooter. Sure, there are some standard control issues, but who cares! It looks purty.

Fara - Another Action RPG, although this one is not so much 16-bit graphical as it is simply beautiful.

King Cashing - A turn-based RPG with a slot machine battle system, 'nuff said.

Bring me Sandwiches!! - I've not checked this one out. But people are comparing it to a Katamari game, except it's actually fun on iOS.

Scribblenauts Remix - Scribblenauts is awesome. This is Scribblenauts for the iOS. Therefore, this is awesome.

Final Fantasy III - An enhanced port of the Nintendo DS version (which is a 3D remake of the original, NES-based version), Final Fantasy III on iOS is amazing for several reasons. First, the retina-enhanced graphics mean that this version is actually far better graphically than the DS version. Second, SquareEnix has done a good job adding touch controls to the game, making it very iOS friendly. Finally, FFIII is the first FF game to hit iOS that was actually pretty fun. Enjoy the early job system and good luck figuring out what the hell the story is.

Dungeon Raid - Goon made, Dungeon Raid takes the "match 3" formula to a whole new level. The premise is simple enough, match 3 or more of the same icon (either horizontally, vertically or diagonally) to accomplish a task. For example, match coins to purchase new weapons and armor, potions to heal yourself, shields to repair and upgrade your armor and swords to attack the enemy skulls. Despite its simplicity, Dungeon Raid's great presentation and addicting nature makes it one of the better games out to get currently. Dungeon Raid was also featured on the last thread, but the latest update, which added classes and a leveling up mechanism, has made it even more addicting. Thread is here.

Angry Birds Rio - Yes, it's more Angry Birds. However, this version, based on the movie Rio, offers an enhanced engine of the original game. New characters, back drops, boss battles, and an overall polish to the original Angry Birds formula means that this new title is certainly worth the entrance fee.

Hot Springs Story - Were you a fan of Game Dev Story? Then you pretty much need to check out Hot Spring Story. Utilizing a similar gameplay mechanic, this title has you building your own Hot Springs to entice customers and make money.

Battleheart - Battleheart is a pretty interesting game that has you create a party of four heroes (from standard archetypes like priest, rogue, warlock, warrior, e.t.c.) and take on story missions to defeat the baddies. While venturing further into the story, characters will level up, unlocking new skills as well as new items to purchase. Recommended for those looking for a strategy game with RPG elements.

Tiny Wings - Highly recommended by the previous thread. Tiny Wings is one of those short-burst games that are easy to learn, difficult to master. Featuring dynamically changing worlds, Tiny Wings is a must-try for those that are always looking for that next high end casual game.

Solomon's Keep - A top-down action adventure title, Solomon's Keep has you playing a wizard taking out baddies, while learning tons of spells and picking up a wide variety of weapons. Random dungeons keeps the gameplay fresh.

Sword & Sworcery EP - Hailed as an homage to old-school 'adventure' games. S&S is a point and click adventurer with some pretty unique pixel graphics and one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Highly recommended in the forums.

Real Racing 2 HD - Optimized for the iPad 2 (but still compatible with the original). Real Racing 2 is about as good as you get with racing on the iPad. Featuring a decent career mode, as well as multiplayer, Real Racing 2 is definitely recommended for any racing fans.

Sword & Sworcery EP - Hailed as an homage to old-school 'adventure' games. S&S is a point and click adventurer with some pretty unique pixel graphics and one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Highly recommended in the forums.

Real Racing 2 HD - Optimized for the iPad 2 (but still compatible with the original). Real Racing 2 is about as good as you get with racing on the iPad. Featuring a decent career mode, as well as multiplayer, Real Racing 2 is definitely recommended for any racing fans.

:frogout:Pocket Frogs:frogout: Thread is here

NBA Jam - NBA Jam is a very well-done port of the updated title that hit console systems earlier in the NBA season. Play as any NBA team in a 2 on 2 match featuring current roster stars, as well as NBA legends. In-app purchases include even more characters to use. And yes, the awesome gameplay from the 90s original is still there and is amazing.

Aralon (Open World RPG) - Some have called it one of the most impressive feats to grace the App Store. Others call it a glorified "port" of a crappy ten year old RPG. One thing is for certain, Aralon certainly turns heads, regardless. If you're looking for a western, open world RPG, Aralon is certainly worth checking out.

Sentinel 3: Homeworld (Tower Defense) - I've been a fan of the Sentinel series, and the latest iteration does not disappoint. Offering a large amount of levels, tons of customization, RPG-like elements, and good music, Sentinel 3 should be on the list for any tower defense fan.

N.O.V.A. 2 (FPS) - Continuing in the Gameloft tradition of creating games similar to hit video game series, N.O.V.A. 2 is actually a good sequel to the original iOS FPS and is one of the better FPS's available. With great retina graphics and an approachable multiplayer mode, N.O.V.A. 2 is worth checking out.

Secret of Mana (Old School RPG) - Proving that some games truly are timeless, Secret of Mana is an excellent port of the 13-year old SNES RPG from SquareEnix. The controls may take some getting used to, but otherwise, this is a pretty well-rounded port and a must for any classic RPG fans.

Angry Birds: Seasons (Physics Knock'em Down) - The "sequel" to Angry Birds, Seasons compiles both the Halloween Edition, and a new Christmas version of Angry Birds. Will more themes come in the future? It looks pretty certain.

TurboGrafx-16 GameBox (Emulator) - Looking for some nostalgia? This app offers a decent emulation experience of the TurboGrafx-16. The App is free and comes with one game, but the other 15 are in-app purchases. Hopefully more and more titles will become available for purchase.

Geared 2 (Puzzle) - Sequel to the popular goon puzzle game, Geared 2 introduces a level editor/developer/uploader, new graphics, and a crapton of new levels. This is more than just goon solidarity; pick up this game 'cause it rocks.

Infinity Blade (Fighting/Swording) - One of the first blockbuster games of the holiday season, Infinity Blade boasts the best graphics on the iOS platform, serving as not only one of the best games to showcase the capabilities of your iOS device, but it also is a pretty decent game as well.

Real Racing 2 (Racing) - The original Real Racing was pretty kickass, and this sequel takes everything to the next level. Featuring more cars, more locations, kickass graphics, controls, and a good career mode, Real Racing 2 should have something for everyone. If you're any sort of a racing game, you NEED to check this one out.

Carcassonne (Board Game) - Not only is this one of the most polished 1.0 games ever released, but Carcassonne has it all. A great single player solitaire mode, an excellent multiplayer mode, and a top notch tutorial for those that don't know anything about the game. Just get it. NOW. Now updated as a universal app.

Angry Birds (iPad Version)(Physics Puzzler) - Angry Birds is one of the most addicting titles on the App Store, and has been for some time. Control five different types of birds as you launch them towards fortifications created by the egg-stealing Pigs! The developers continue to add more and more levels with each update, making this the best game for the price.

Doodle Jump (Vertical Platformer) - Truth be told, I don't know much about Doodle Jump, but I hear it's INSANELY ADDICTING. Guide your doodler using tilt controls as you climb up levels.

Words With Friends Free (Scrabble Clone, iPad Version) - Words With Friends has been around for a long time, and its popularity refuses to die. It's extremely easy to register, find friends, and play what is essentially Scrabble with other folks. The creation of Words with Friends HD for the iPad should only serve to continue its popularity. A must have for any folks that like to kill vocabulary deficient goons.

Guitar Hero (Music) - Guitar Hero on iOS?? It appeared to be important enough that Steve allowed it to debut at WWDC 2010. In all honesty, it's actually pretty good and offers a better gameplay experience than iOS Rock Band, assuming you can get past some of Guitar Hero's "noise" as far as art direction is concerned.

Skirt Lift (Only a goon would click this link).

Previous Goon QuickPicks

Random Game Recommendations from Goons in this Thread:

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

At the end of the last thread, a few of the thread regulars started posting their lists of current recommended games. This post features some of the more comprehensive lists put out:

Teddybear:

Cook, Serve, Delicious! (iPad only): great hardcore restaurant management sim that has a ton of content and is pretty great. I think they're coming out with a trial version with a couple rounds of gameplay if they haven't already.

New Star Soccer: arcadey soccer player career sim. Surprisingly fun even if you don't care too much about soccer. Skip Arcade mode and buy the Career mode, that's the meat of the game.

Walking Dead: you should get the Walking Dead. It's $20 right now on iOS, but $12.50 on Steam for the next two days. Either way, you should get the Walking Dead.

Bastion: Bastion for 99¢ is a steal. If you have a capable device, pick it up now, even if you're not gonna play it for a while.

Kairosoft's stuff: pocket clothier wasn't their best, but some of their past work (Game Dev Story, Dungeon Village Story, Grand Prix Story, Epic Astro Story, others too) are great. They're usually good for some hours.

nomapple posted:

For those with new iOS devices, I would strongly recommend:

Async Multiplayer Games:
-Hero Academy
-Ascension
-Summoner Wars
-Letterpress
-Words with Friends/Angry Words
-Outwitters

Puzzle games
-Angry Birds Space (or Star Wars) (I didn't think much of original AB but I loved these)
-Fusio
-Trainyard

Match 3
-Bejeweled

Twin-stick/similar
-Age of Zombies
-Minigore 2
-Tilt To Live

Tower defence/strategy
-Great Little War Game
-Field Runners 2
-Anomaly Warzone Earth
-Anomaly Korea

Others because I am bored of genres now
-Real Racing 2 (Best racing game, realistic but there's plenty of assistance for beginners)
-Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery (A fully fledged experience worth everyone's time)
-Infinity Blade 2 (Works better than other styles of fighter on iOS, 1 million things to unlock, looks great)
-PunchQuest (best "endless XXXX" game)
-Mage Gauntlet (Retro style action RPG which is very fun)
-Arc Squadron (If Starfox was powered by the Unreal Engine, again, very good fun)
-God of Blades (Some say it's style over substance but I really like this game, sending an enemy flying through the air is very satisfying, it also looks and sounds great too)
-Plague Inc (a current favourite of mine, addictive and challenging)
-Organ Trail (Something different. Minimalistic, very retro graphics, but an engaging post-apocalyptic adventure)
-Pocket Planes (best free to play management thing on the app store by miles!!)

Bummey posted:

I almost forgot

Enviro-Bear 2010: the Citizen Kane of iOS gaming.

Mr EFord fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 30, 2012

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

(actually posted by a mod - just borrowing this previously empty post)

Care of Trustworthy, here's a giant list of RogueLikes, and which ones don't suck.

POWDER: So far, out of all these games, this is by far my favorite. Awesome classes and character building. Stuff like a god mechanic (different religions--each with a few rules to follow--give you different class-oriented bonuses), unidentified items (many of which are cursed; I'm scared to put on anything without a Detect Curse or Identify spell/scroll), a poo poo ton of spells, etc. Fun to navigate dungeons and great, complex character development, and intuitive controls. It's one of the more complicated roguelikes I've tried (not a NetHack or Rogue level of complicated, but way more than the other casual games listed here).

Brogue: I've been playing Brogue some, but I too would really enjoy it more with pretty pictures instead of ASCII. I'm just not that hardcore old school when it comes to roguelikes. Still, I love the complexity and it's oozing with attention-grabbing replay potential.

Dungeon Plunder: Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it's awesome in a lot of ways, but I really don't like the boring slot machine combat mechanic. Which of course is a pretty huge part of this kind of game.

Sword of Fargoal: Liking it so far; from what I've read, it seems to be a lot of roguelike fanatics' favorite iOS roguelike. Gameplay is good, but it hasn't completely drawn me in yet. The areas seem pretty sparse and lifeless. Wish there was a bit more diversity in character selection/development/appearance, but that's a minor nitpick.

The Dungeon: A handful of intriguing character classes, smooth gameplay, nice interface; one of my favorites so far. Not sure if it will turn out to be quite as complex/nuanced as other comparable roguelikes, but we'll see. Good fun.

Endless Depths: Another one of my favorite at the moment; and from the reading I've it seems like a lot of devoted roguelike fans keep coming back to this one. It does seem pretty compelling so far. Some parts of the game look a bit amateur, but not enough that it's distracting. Nice clean interface. The gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, and the dungeons seem interesting so far.

Cavern: Probably my second favorite so far. Maybe isn't quite as randomized as others (?), but it plays really well and has held my interest. Three classes to choose from. There's a bit more story compared to others, and I really like that there's an actual town you can return to to buy and sell items (a rarity in this type of game, it seems).

Pitman: Just started this one. It's unique in that it has a 3D environment, while still being tile- and turn-based. Seems a quite a bit simpler and more arcade-y than the competition. Hasn't thrilled me so far, but I need to put some more time into it.

Legends of Yore: Haven't spent much time with this one yet, but so far I'm not in love with the cartoony Zelda-ish graphics, and the controls seems really loosey-goosey. Unlike many of these games, it starts off with more an RPG vibe; in a little town with some NPCs and farm animals. Seems like a game I could warm up to.

Cardinal Quest: I just started this one, but it comes highly recommended by review sites and posters on random forums. Seems a bit simple and arcade-y, but fun. Just the three usual classes. Has a neat little ability/spell-equipping system that reminds me of Diablo or WoW or somesuch.

NetHack HD: I've only briefly diddled around with traditional Nethack a few brief times in the past, so I don't know how faithful of a port this is. It looks nice. It's one hell of a complicated game though, obviously. I have a lot to learn to be able to play properly, but I imagine I'd enjoy it a lot if I devoted enough time to it.

RogueTouch: I believe this is more or less just a shiny looking port of the original Rogue. I'd really love it the movement controls weren't so goddamned lovely. One touch and you're flying across the floor at lightspeed, often overshooting where you wanted to go. Also it's really zoomed in (although it doesn't look like it in the picture below; I wonder if there's some kind of zoom option...?), with an annoyingly limited perspective.

EDIT: It turns out that the game has a small handful of menu options hidden away in iOS system settings. Options that basically eliminate all my gripes. You can set the default view to 75%, you can switch to D-Pad controls (which are a bit large on-screen, but work really well), and you can turn off double-tap-to-run altogether. So I guess Rogue Touch currently shares my "favorite iOS roguelike" spot along with POWDER.

Mysterious Castle: Not a roguelike in many ways, but it's usually lumped into that category. It's more of a tactical, party-based, turn-based, isometric RPG that happens to include randomly generated areas. I like it in theory, but the gameplay is quite slow and the touch controls leave a lot to be desired, so I haven't found myself going back to play it much (yet). Giant Bomb write-up thingie

100 Rogues: I get why it's so highly rated; it's a fun and well-polished game. However it's a little too arcade-y for my liking (or casual, or something... so far it's just not resonating with me). It feels a lot like a turn-based Diablo, with the aesthetic feel of those Solomon games. Every room is filled with a horde of monsters. There are some cool abilities/powers, but all-in-all character development seems pretty shallow. This is a more casual game I'd play on a flight or somesuch, when I just want to pass the time and don't feel like devoting my full attention to a more in-depth game. Touch Arcade review

Trap Hunter: This one's cool, although it's not your typical roguelike. It's a lot of fun, though, and it's one I keep coming back to it. The concept is intriguing; you're a a pretty lovely fighter, but skilled at making traps. So there's a lot of strategy involved as you try to think ahead and plan out the course of a battle. Thinking about how you're going to lure a monster down your Awesome Hallway of Death. Trying to use the most effective trap-types (which there are a lot of) for various situations. Trying to synergize different trap combinations of (and there's still a ton I haven't unlocked). It's very satisfying to what a charging boss monster get stuck in your bear trap, while a couple of your wall traps pepper him with arrows. Maybe through in a poison gas trap for good measure. It's awesome when you're low on health and there's a monster running your way, and--right before he gets to you--the spike trap you put down earlier goes off and he gets impaled. The game is 3D looks pretty, controls fairly well (although the camera is a bit of a pain to move around, and I also like that it's mission-based; you get to go back to town after clearing out a big multi-level dungeon, where you can buy and sell equipment (including stock up on trap-crafting resources, if you're running low). Anyway, I'd highly recommend this one. Touch Arcade thread

edit: Oh and it's also filled with hilarious Engrish.

Slash'EM: Until I was about to try this one out, I hadn't realized that this one is full-fledged port of NetHack, with added content (classes, monsters, etc.) and increased difficulty (allegedly; I'm so terrible at vanilla NetHack, it's not like I'd notice if it's slightly harder). It's a sort of NetHack++. It's made by the dev of iNetHack (a dead project at this point) and NetHack HD. Slash'EM is the most polished version of NetHack on iOS that I've seen; the interface and controls aren't terrible, and the tile-sets make it look nice enough. This game makes me kind of sad, though, because as a roguelike newbie, I think I'd rather play vanilla NetHack. But the dev has made Slash'EM so well polished that it makes his earlier NetHack HD feel really clunky. And it sounds like the dev basically gave up working on NetHack HD altogether to spend his time on Slash'EM. So I'm torn... play a fantastic but wacked out, 'roided-up NetHack, or play a faithful-to-the-original version that's kind of lovely.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 17, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
GR

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

DNK's Best Of:

I've beaten all of these games completely. There are tons of iOS games that are fun to play but just don't hold you. These held me all the way to the end.

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Nice new OP.

So... how about those IOS games, eh?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Is there something wrong with my ipad 3 or does Fieldrunners 2 HD really take a couple of minutes to load?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My best of iPad gaming list:

Bad Piggies - seriously just an amazingly lovable yet deep puzzle/platformer.
Angry Birds Star Wars - sounds ridiculous, but great time tested mechanics with amazing flavor true to the source.
Scribblenauts - Another fun puzzle/platformer, you've seen it elsewhere and it's just as good here.
Plants vs Zombies - You know what this is.
Puzzle Craft - Farmville with a match 3 game, amazing.
Punch Quest - Best endless runner, hands down.
Ascension - Best card game next to M:TG. Great deckbuilding multiplayer game that will suck the hours from your day.
Summoner War - Another great TCG style game that's M:TG meets Risk. My favorite game of the year along with Bad Piggies.
Bike Baron - Like Trials on Xbox, but better.
League of Evil - iOS' Super Meat Boy.
Greed Corp - Full port of a highly underrated PC game. Loved it, needs more recognition.
Battleheart - cute but challenging little RPG/RTS hybrid that works great. Hoping for a sequel soon
Loststar Tactics - Terribly cheesy graphics but amazing strategy rpg mechanics.
Space Miner HD - Charming little space game.
Ticket to Ride - My favorite board game on iOS, particularly the Europe version.
Strategery - The best version of Risk on iOS.
Mummy Panic - Goon-made ChuChu Rocket.
Puzzlejuice - Frantic word matching/Tetris game. 3rd best iOS game of the year.
Bastion - Buy it. Now. Game of year the runner up for any system, right behind...
The Wakling Dead - Game of the year, any system.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

In Plague, Inc. there's an achievement for enslaving humanity with the Neurax worm. I've infected every living person and evolved the trait that makes people worship me. Nobody is left working on the cure, but for two in-game years now everything has just sat idle with nothing going on except the occasional trojan plane popup (and I have nowhere logical to send them to, of course). Is there something else I need to be doing? I could just evolve something lethal now and kill everyone, but where's the fun in that?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Can anyone recommend a fun AR app?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Lol, Moon Drop and iDracula in the OP. You should really just link to the best of 2012 lists on Touch Arcade!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

Lol, Moon Drop and iDracula in the OP. You should really just link to the best of 2012 lists on Touch Arcade!

He did link to it!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FreakyZoid posted:

Is there something wrong with my ipad 3 or does Fieldrunners 2 HD really take a couple of minutes to load?

The load times are horrible and I really don't get it. The version you're playing has even been patched to "significantly reduce load times."

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We also have threads for Guardian Cross and King of Dragon Pass.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I posted it in the last thread, but The Room is seriously fantastic. It's a short game but SO worth the $1.99. The story, visuals, and atmosphere are all top notch. I finished it in one sitting and didn't regret buying at all. Definitely check it out.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

eeenmachine posted:

Read the OP. :colbert:

As for why the out of date large list of old games is still in the OP - I tried to take it out at the beginning of the last thread and some folks really thought it should stay there even if some of the games really don't make the cut anymore.

So consider it there as a historical look at what we used to think was good.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Recommendations I have not seen yet:

Pro Strategy Football - American Football/Handegg simulator on your phone. Focuses more on the strategy and player management than the actual action during plays - you can turn off animations of the plays altogether. Really fleshed out in terms of strategy options - you can run the clock or run no-huddle plays, you can customize every receiver's route for normal passing plays, etc.

9 Innings Baseball 2011 - A baseball simulator for both games and team management. Get new players by purchasing booster packs in game for a chance at a new player. One of the slicker baseball games that doesn't shove IAP down your throat and lets you control pitching and hitting. Avoid the 2013 version, it's surprisingly terrible.

Super Monsters Ate My Condo - Sequel to the fantastic Monsters Ate My Condo, another Match-3 with really unique mechanics. Pieces fall from the sky and stack on top of each other, and the stack is flanked by two monsters. Feed unnecessary pieces to the monsters to form matches - make sure you feed them colored pieces they like though, or they'll try to knock over the tower! Matched pieces form special pieces you can feed to the monsters to activate cool special abilities like time freeze or double points. The mechanics are not so insane as it seems, and the game teaches you all the mechanics very well in its tutorial levels. Changes from the previous game include a 2 minute time limit, and the inclusion of boosts, endless runner style.

Yes, I love America and its sports :| Quick recommendations for games I've already seen:

Letterpress - My favorite asynchronous game at the moment. Fantastic UI, interesting mechanics, can lend itself to cheating though.

Puzzlejuice - Tetris and Boggle's puzzle-sex child. Great soundtrack, really good for flaunting your high score to friends who play as well.

Punch Quest - This is the best endless runner on the app store, hands down.

Kingdom of Dragon Pass - It has it's own thread, but it bears mentioning here too because it's one of the most engrossing games on the platform. Choose Your Own Adventure and 4X sex child.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mr EFord posted:

As for why the out of date large list of old games is still in the OP - I tried to take it out at the beginning of the last thread and some folks really thought it should stay there even if some of the games really don't make the cut anymore.

The problem now is that the OP lists so many games that it's counter productive, it's the very definition of too long, didn't read. That entire 4th post is mostly junk games that will make people thing iOS gaming is crap. Two really bad GTA clones listed and no sign of Vice City?

We really need a new, shorter list of the very best of the App Store.

rgrdgr Blitz
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Mastar Bizhoe
I posted this close to the end of the last thread, just want to repost it here to help get some awareness of this game I worked on.

rgrdgr Blitz posted:

I partook in the development of a recently released tablet-exclusive for iOS and Android:
Roaming Fortress

I was technical artist on the project, focusing mostly on visual effects, asset and animation integration, and some basic AI...
The game is free to download and play for the first campaign, we have more on the way in January. We even put a playable build on the web where you can try out the first 3 levels of the game.
So please check it out and let me/us know what you think :)

Watch our quaint little trailer too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESI5sqNqn2w

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

The problem now is that the OP lists so many games that it's counter productive, it's the very definition of too long, didn't read. That entire 4th post is mostly junk games that will make people thing iOS gaming is crap. Two really bad GTA clones listed and no sign of Vice City?

We really need a new, shorter list of the very best of the App Store.

I hear what you're saying. That's why I posted the 'best-of' links from TA; their picks are about as good as can be when it comes to lists. Otherwise, I think what's been posted so far in this thread (as well as the other OP posts) works well for picks.

If that last post really becomes a nuisance, I can always just wipe it.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Speaking of the OP, if Final Fantasy Tactics can be recommended, then so should Final Fantasy IV.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Groove Coaster Zero should be added to that paltry music games list. It's free to play and you actually get a really good amount of content without paying for anything on top of it just being super fun.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Mr EFord posted:

No really. They're terrible.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
The port of The World Ends With You is awesome even if it is expensive for an app.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

Anime_Otaku posted:

The port of The World Ends With You is awesome even if it is expensive for an app.

Did you get the iPhone or iPad version? I think the consensus is that the iPhone version is superior (extra real estate does nothing to benefit the iPad version)?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I got the iPad version having played it on a DSi before, I personally like the larger screen though I'm no really comparing like for like.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Duranki posted:

Did you get the iPhone or iPad version? I think the consensus is that the iPhone version is superior (extra real estate does nothing to benefit the iPad version)?

I got the iPad version but I guess pins that require to shake the device are easier to use with an iPhone or iPad mini, it's kind of a hassle to do it with the iPad.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there something I'm missing with Punch Quest? It seems a good game, but Jetpack Joyride just seems to blow it out of the water. I don't disagree with people recommending it, especially as I got it while it was still free, just not sure where the "Best Endless Runner BY FAR" comments are coming from.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think it's better than Jetpack Joyride in every way. It has a lot more interactivity, where as JJ comes down to "go up, go down". All of the comboing and special moves make it a lot of fun.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Terpfen posted:

Speaking of the OP, if Final Fantasy Tactics can be recommended, then so should Final Fantasy IV.
Well they are different genres of games. And that ff4 is basically the hard version rom hack compared to the snes version. I recommend FTT but not FF4 (the DS/iOS version).

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Punch Quest is simply harder and more complicated. I think their ambition got away with them. Jetpack Joyride is a one finger game that you can play with your brain off.

That's about it.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Has anyone tried any of the Cave plethora shooters? I am really itching to try one but would really like to get an honest opinion on them.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
There's a problem here.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Anime_Otaku posted:

Worth noting that this (and other Squeenix apps) is on sale right now. $12.99, down from $17.99.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

AfroGunsou posted:

There's a problem here.

:confused:

p.s. this new app store interface blows goat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He was searching this page for a recommendation in the 4 shittily organized OP's.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

He was searching this page for a recommendation in the 4 shittily organized OP's.

Oh. I've only had my macbook air for less than a week and I'm still not familiar with mac screenshots

Bummey fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 31, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AfroGunsou posted:

There's a problem here.

I see no problems with that. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Either way Aralon definitely doesn't deserve to be in the OP.

• Locked thread