Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

rizuhbull posted:

There was a hex-based medieval/fantasy squad game with it's own thread around here a day or two ago. Looked interesting but now I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Eador maybe? It looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Eador maybe? It looks pretty cool.
Yep that's it. Thanks.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 25, 2012

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PBio posted:

I'm after a 4x style game set in space, something fairly modern but without the addition of battles. Something similar to Galactic Civ (although not that particular game which I've played before)

Its to play on my work laptop, so it would need to run on a fairly low end Intel integrated graphics (although it does have an i5). Also, i'd need to be able to download it, so Steam/GOG preferably.

Thanks!

Turn based strategy space games are fairly few and far between these days (except for vapourware kickstarter projects). Endless Space is really one of the better ones to come out recently but if you can't play that there are some alternatives. Although not many that are solely strategic without tactical battles.

The original Sword of the Stars is still pretty good. The new Sword of the Stars II is now 'playable' apparently, although I would steer clear of it.

If you're willing to look at something more old school, there is Star Lords which is a TBS with tactical combat that can be skipped. It is still in alpha though, but a new version was released a couple of days ago and the devs are active with the game.

If you're willing to look at an RTS, there's Star Ruler , Starfarer or Stardrive. Star Ruler certainly is infinitely adjustable to your computer specs.

From GOG I would recommend Haegemonia or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nexus is on Steam now, too, and I think it's only 2.50 during the sale so, bonus.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know about games that are all about defence and making last stands? Maybe building barricades or bases against overwhelming odds, something like that. Welding doors would be cool.

Things i know that fit, but im not interested in:
Alien Swarm, console games, Call of Duty zombie things and towerdefence games.

Isn't the Stronghold series of games completely about this? I don't know if that qualifies as towerdefence. I haven't played them but they are well regarded.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Zwabu posted:

Isn't the Stronghold series of games completely about this? I don't know if that qualifies as towerdefence. I haven't played them but they are well regarded.

I would think they are more of a real time strategy with resource gathering. Both Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader recently got HD upgrades which lets them play well with modern hardware. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't played before.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm looking for browser games that are good that might have a goon presence in them.

If not that, I'm looking for something that I can pick up and play whenever I have 5 minutes free, that won't demand all of my attention to play it. Maybe a turn based strategy thingy or something. Preferably online and not graphically intensive.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Help me try to get my friend into video games:

He is a serious collector of original samurai arms and armor, plus some ww2 poo poo. He's really into that historical era of samurai/Japanese history.

I sent him a promo video of Total War Shogun 2, and it blew him away. Are there other games that have a historically rich or accurate take on that period? I think we'd have a great time playing against each other if he can jump this first hurdle.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Snowy posted:

He is a serious collector of original samurai arms and armor, plus some ww2 poo poo. He's really into that historical era of samurai/Japanese history.

I sent him a promo video of Total War Shogun 2, and it blew him away. Are there other games that have a historically rich or accurate take on that period? I think we'd have a great time playing against each other if he can jump this first hurdle.
Shogun 2 is a good start. I think most other historically accurate games of that period are going to be very spergy strategy games, not as accessible as the TW series.

guenter
Dec 24, 2003
All I want out of life is to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit. That's why I've decided to transfer to business school!
I'm pretty sure nothing exists that fits exactly what I want - It's like trying to scratch an itch. I have high hopes for Star Citizen though. That unannounced Valve game too just because it's Valve. Starfarer looks promising too but I don't know if I feel like dealing with an alpha.

1) Open world. Trading, pirating, maybe some exploration. Get new ships, upgrade existing ships. Some RPG elements. Tried to play X3 but it's a little overwhelming and I don't have the time anymore. I'm also not really excited anymore by ultra realistic flight controls that require a joystick and just leave me endlessly circling my opponents. Good damage modeling would be nice too.

2) Something that gives me the same kind of feeling I got watching Battlestar Galactica. Big capital ships, lots of fighters and support ships. Ability to buy new ships, modify them, and experiment with fleet composition. I played SPAZ recently and that's the closest I've come in a while. I'd like something a little larger scale and a little less goofy in tone though. Maybe also a little more persistent and/or RPGish. SPAZ missions felt more like unrelated challenges. Starfleet Command was an old game that fulfilled at least some of these things too.

If I could get one game that did both somehow that would be ridiculous amazing and I would pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it doesn't have to be space, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons is on DosBox and is considered abandon-ware.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

If it doesn't have to be space, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons is on DosBox and is considered abandon-ware.

There's a PC version of that? I thought it was only on SNES and Genesis.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dis astranagant posted:

There's a PC version of that? I thought it was only on SNES and Genesis.

The PC version has more ships and an extra card game :3:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

The PC version has more ships and an extra card game :3:

Welp, I guess I didn't really need to sleep tonight.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I'm looking for browser games that are good that might have a goon presence in them.

If not that, I'm looking for something that I can pick up and play whenever I have 5 minutes free, that won't demand all of my attention to play it. Maybe a turn based strategy thingy or something. Preferably online and not graphically intensive.

I don't know if there's any goon presence anymore, but there's http://www.estiah.com/
You collect "cards" and build decks to clear dungeons. The dungeons require very specific deck building strategies, which honestly gets a bit tedious sometimes tweaking things around for the combo that works. It's kind of neat and unique though.

I don't think there's a goon presence at all, but if you want something with even less attention and effort invested, I've been playing http://www.minethings.com/
You literally log in like, once every 6 hours or so and see what you've dug up, then try to create combinations. That's all I wanted from it but once you start getting into the higher level combinations there's a lot of player conflict (you need to transport items from place to place and players attempt to pirate them away from you) which I don't like a whole lot... but it's still kind of unique and interesting for the amount of effort it requires to check up on.
I kinda don't like how expensive it is to open new mines though. Mines require real cash to open, so you either buy it for in game gold from someone who paid real cash (and we're talking a lot of loving gold), or you fork out for a new one. Some of the expensive mines are literally forty dollars to open. loving seriously?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Should I play through Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 3 before I start Sleeping Dogs? I haven't played this style of open world game since Vice City and I'm worried I'll be disappointed by the other two if I play Sleeping Dogs first.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Out of those three Sleeping Dogs is actually my least favorite. The fighting system is fantastic and would make for an amazing beat-em-up if Square ever made one but the open world seemed kind of filler to me. So I'd say if you're wanting to go from worst to best finish Sleeping Dogs first then move on to Just Cause and finally Saints Row.

They're all fantastic games though so you can't go wrong just plain enjoying each of them for their strengths.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Tagra posted:

I don't know if there's any goon presence anymore, but there's http://www.estiah.com/
You collect "cards" and build decks to clear dungeons. The dungeons require very specific deck building strategies, which honestly gets a bit tedious sometimes tweaking things around for the combo that works. It's kind of neat and unique though.

I don't think there's a goon presence at all, but if you want something with even less attention and effort invested, I've been playing http://www.minethings.com/
You literally log in like, once every 6 hours or so and see what you've dug up, then try to create combinations. That's all I wanted from it but once you start getting into the higher level combinations there's a lot of player conflict (you need to transport items from place to place and players attempt to pirate them away from you) which I don't like a whole lot... but it's still kind of unique and interesting for the amount of effort it requires to check up on.
I kinda don't like how expensive it is to open new mines though. Mines require real cash to open, so you either buy it for in game gold from someone who paid real cash (and we're talking a lot of loving gold), or you fork out for a new one. Some of the expensive mines are literally forty dollars to open. loving seriously?

You're the best, I appreciate the suggestions. "Playing" that mining thing again now.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'm looking for a game to pick out for my mother that suits these requirements:

-Runs on an old laptop (WinXP, 1 gb(maybe less) of RAM, no dedicated graphics card); basically any 3D graphics are out of the question
-Has some kind of level progression - she liked the flow of Plants vs. Zombies quite a bit
-Preferably tower defense, but she likes puzzle games too
-Not especially hardcore/complex
-Flash games are fine, especially if they let you save your game
-Free is preferable, but games under 5 or 10 bucks are alright

Plants vs. Zombies runs well enough on the system in question, and I've since provided her with Kingdom Rush and Immortal Defense (which is awesome and worth checking out if you don't know it). Any suggestions?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want a good, old fashioned multiplayer FPS, besides TF2 'cause I've played that to death. Basically, a no rules blow-people-up kind of game. I'm pretty sure my computer can't run the newest stuff, so I was thinking of picking up one of the following for cheap off of Steam:

- Quake 4
- Unreal Tournament 3 Black
- Battlefield 2

My main concern is that it be something people still play. Don't want to buy a multiplayer game only to find there's no one to play with. Anybody have any insight on that?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I want a good, old fashioned multiplayer FPS, besides TF2 'cause I've played that to death. Basically, a no rules blow-people-up kind of game. I'm pretty sure my computer can't run the newest stuff, so I was thinking of picking up one of the following for cheap off of Steam:

There are several free options on Steam that might be worth trying. Planetside 2 is amazing, but might be difficult to run. Since it's free it's worth a shot though. If that fails you might like Blacklight: Retribution, which has fairly low requirements.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Tagra posted:

There are several free options on Steam that might be worth trying. Planetside 2 is amazing, but might be difficult to run. Since it's free it's worth a shot though. If that fails you might like Blacklight: Retribution, which has fairly low requirements.

Yeah Planetside 2 didn't work :(

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

- Quake 4
- Unreal Tournament 3 Black
- Battlefield 2

My main concern is that it be something people still play. Don't want to buy a multiplayer game only to find there's no one to play with. Anybody have any insight on that?

Battlefield 2 should still have some players. I played UT3 a few years back and it had very few players, but still enough to fill a some servers. No idea if it's going although the Steam forums should give you an idea. Can't speak for Quake 4 but have you considered Quake Live? In my opinion it's the best iteration of Quake, and it remains fairly popular. Free, too.

If you like Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive should run fine on your PC, seeing as you played Team Fortress 2.

Going a bit more old school, have you tried Enemy Territory? I would be surprised if people aren't still playing, being a free game, and a pretty drat good one at that.

Lastly, I can't say I would recommend them myself, but the Call of Duty series is still running on the IW 3.0/4.0 engine, first introduced with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, with only some minor changes with every new game. So your PC shouldn't have any problems running a game like the recently released Black Ops II.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 29, 2012

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

guenter posted:

I'm pretty sure nothing exists that fits exactly what I want - It's like trying to scratch an itch. I have high hopes for Star Citizen though. That unannounced Valve game too just because it's Valve. Starfarer looks promising too but I don't know if I feel like dealing with an alpha.

1) Open world. Trading, pirating, maybe some exploration. Get new ships, upgrade existing ships. Some RPG elements. Tried to play X3 but it's a little overwhelming and I don't have the time anymore. I'm also not really excited anymore by ultra realistic flight controls that require a joystick and just leave me endlessly circling my opponents. Good damage modeling would be nice too.

2) Something that gives me the same kind of feeling I got watching Battlestar Galactica. Big capital ships, lots of fighters and support ships. Ability to buy new ships, modify them, and experiment with fleet composition. I played SPAZ recently and that's the closest I've come in a while. I'd like something a little larger scale and a little less goofy in tone though. Maybe also a little more persistent and/or RPGish. SPAZ missions felt more like unrelated challenges. Starfleet Command was an old game that fulfilled at least some of these things too.

If I could get one game that did both somehow that would be ridiculous amazing and I would pay hundreds of dollars for it.

You could consider EVE Online, an MMORPG. The goon "guild" is currently one of the most powerful ones in the game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522291

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stark Fist posted:

I'm looking for a game to pick out for my mother that suits these requirements:

-Runs on an old laptop (WinXP, 1 gb(maybe less) of RAM, no dedicated graphics card); basically any 3D graphics are out of the question
-Has some kind of level progression - she liked the flow of Plants vs. Zombies quite a bit
-Preferably tower defense, but she likes puzzle games too
-Not especially hardcore/complex
-Flash games are fine, especially if they let you save your game
-Free is preferable, but games under 5 or 10 bucks are alright

Plants vs. Zombies runs well enough on the system in question, and I've since provided her with Kingdom Rush and Immortal Defense (which is awesome and worth checking out if you don't know it). Any suggestions?

Fairy Solitaire is addicting as hell and incredibly fun.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Snowy posted:

If he's a serious sperg/war nerd, the Nobunaga's Ambition games are Warring States period Japan Koei wargames. Koei also makes Genghis Khan games in a similar mold that are for obvious reasons set a little earlier (I can confirm Kamakura Shogunate Japan was playable on GK2 at the very least.) While I'm shamelessly hawking Koei products, there's also the Samurai Warriors franchise, which is Dynasty Warriors but in Japan.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

OperaMouse posted:

You could consider EVE Online, an MMORPG. The goon "guild" is currently one of the most powerful ones in the game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522291

If he felt X3 was overwhelming and took too much time, EVE Online would be the worst game ever for him. EVE is kind of like X3, only about five times as complicated, and everything takes twenty times as long.

Seriously, I played that game for like three years, and I still didn't understand half of the mechanics.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

guenter posted:

You could give Evochron Mercenary a shot. It's nowhere near the complexity of X3, but has piracy, exploration, factions, can hire wingmen and can even fly down to the surface of planets. I found it extremely awesome.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Liberatore posted:

Battlefield 2 should still have some players. I played UT3 a few years back and it had very few players, but still enough to fill a some servers. No idea if it's going although the Steam forums should give you an idea. Can't speak for Quake 4 but have you considered Quake Live? In my opinion it's the best iteration of Quake, and it remains fairly popular. Free, too.

If you like Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive should run fine on your PC, seeing as you played Team Fortress 2.

Going a bit more old school, have you tried Enemy Territory? I would be surprised if people aren't still playing, being a free game, and a pretty drat good one at that.

Lastly, I can't say I would recommend them myself, but the Call of Duty series is still running on the IW 3.0/4.0 engine, first introduced with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, with only some minor changes with every new game. So your PC shouldn't have any problems running a game like the recently released Black Ops II.

Did not know about those games. Good suggestions, thanks!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm looking for games to play with my wife. We have a PS3 and two controllers. We're playing Portal 2 right now and she seems to like it. I'm looking for more co-op games we can buy from the Playstation Store. It can be anything from puzzle games like Portal, to beat em ups, to something entirely different. Just looking for some fun games we can play together.

Also, is Borderlands 2 fun in split screen mode? We watched the trailer and she really liked it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Borderlands 2 is the bee's knees, period. Fantastic co-op game. Get it.

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
Just finished castlevania: order of ecclesia, dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin Any other similar type games for the DS?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Ashenai posted:

If he felt X3 was overwhelming and took too much time, EVE Online would be the worst game ever for him. EVE is kind of like X3, only about five times as complicated, and everything takes twenty times as long.

Seriously, I played that game for like three years, and I still didn't understand half of the mechanics.

I think EVE is a good match towards what he was looking for. It's complicated, yes, but goons have the best resources there are to give a newbie a leg-up. I can totally see someone not liking X3 yet being into EVE, as the metagame in the latter is completely different.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ehud posted:

I'm looking for games to play with my wife. We have a PS3 and two controllers. We're playing Portal 2 right now and she seems to like it. I'm looking for more co-op games we can buy from the Playstation Store. It can be anything from puzzle games like Portal, to beat em ups, to something entirely different. Just looking for some fun games we can play together.

Also, is Borderlands 2 fun in split screen mode? We watched the trailer and she really liked it.

Go loving nuts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay, I rather urgently need a suggestion for a game that is

- Multiplayer on the same keyboard
- Not very complicated
- Teenage boy friendly
- Hopefully free and/or cheap.

O save me, guys!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fangz posted:

- Not very complicated
- Teenage boy friendly

O save me, guys!

Give Tyrian a try. It's free on GoG

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
What are some games that are similar to Myst, ie adventure games that are very heavily puzzle-based which are also playable on Mac?

Syberia was the first game I thought of, and it's already been played. I know adventure games are kind of dead right now; is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coca Koala posted:

What are some games that are similar to Myst, ie adventure games that are very heavily puzzle-based which are also playable on Mac?

Syberia was the first game I thought of, and it's already been played. I know adventure games are kind of dead right now; is there anything I'm not thinking of?

Go to GoG and have a look at the Wadjet Eye games (Resonance, Blackwell, Gemini Rue and Primordia). They make some very good point-and-click adventure games. Deponia is another very puzzle-oriented point-and-click adventure game too.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go to GoG and have a look at the Wadjet Eye games (Resonance, Blackwell, Gemini Rue and Primordia). They make some very good point-and-click adventure games. Deponia is another very puzzle-oriented point-and-click adventure game too.

GoG reminded me of Machinarium and Botanicula, but the Wadjet games are windows only. It's too bad, because they're fun. Deponia runs on mac, though, so thanks for that one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

- Not very complicated
- Teenage boy friendly

O save me, guys!

You can get the old Worms games really cheap, and they have fantastic hotseat multiplayer. Go for Armageddon/World Party, they're practically the same but World Party had tweaked online play (which you probably won't need) and a few game mods.