Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you're going to blow a computer out with it, you really should get one of those water/dust separators for it. You would be shocked by how much water, oil, and miscellaneous crap ends up in the filter bulb after a few hours of use.

Also great to have around for running HVLP guns, unless you like millions of fisheyes in your paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

If you're going to blow a computer out with it, you really should get one of those water/dust separators for it. You would be shocked by how much water, oil, and miscellaneous crap ends up in the filter bulb after a few hours of use.

Also great to have around for running HVLP guns, unless you like millions of fisheyes in your paint.

Yeah those things are good. The airbrush compressor here has one on it.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Since I went ahead and started getting ahead of myself and received some extra Christmas money, would the 2.5hp compressor power tools for garage level use? Mainly a angle grinder with wire brush for rust removal, ratchet, etc?

Because why spend $40 on what you need when you can spend $140 on what you want.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blackdawgg posted:

Since I went ahead and started getting ahead of myself and received some extra Christmas money, would the 2.5hp compressor power tools for garage level use? Mainly a angle grinder with wire brush for rust removal, ratchet, etc?

Horsepower isn't a very good way to figure out if a compressor is going to work with a tool.

Check the continuous CFM rating of the compressor vs the tool. Cut the compressor rating in half and double the tool rating and you're in the realm of reality.

In general, a small compressor with a 20 gallon tank will run something like an angle grinder for way less than a minute. Then you'll be waiting for however long it takes to fill the tank again.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I bought the biggest compressor (60gal) at Home Depot for light use and I was surprised at just how much it cycles. Running my HF sandblaster causes it to run almost constantly.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

revmoo posted:

I bought the biggest compressor (60gal) at Home Depot for light use and I was surprised at just how much it cycles. Running my HF sandblaster causes it to run almost constantly.

What usually amaze people is the required tank capacity to efficiently run tools. 60 US gallons equals roughly 230 liters though. Should be enough for running almost any tool, and definitely enough to run a sandblaster. Something other than capacity is wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

Something other than capacity is wrong.

Low CFM pump that takes forever to catch up/refill. Most of the ones I see at home depot have a motor/pump that would be appropriate for a 30 gallon setup on their 60 gallon units, and little more than a 12v tire inflator wired up for 120v on their 20 gallon units.

People don't know/don't care because it's cheaper. Until they really try to use the compressor for something and realize why the 60 gallon 240v IR costs $3000 and is worth every penny.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I can run it constantly so I don't think there's anything wrong, it's just that the compressor pump kicks on a lot to keep the pressure up. I can still run the sandblaster 100%.

E: 11.5 SCFM @ 90psi / 3.7 hp 2-cylinder 240 volt.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

revmoo posted:

I can run it constantly so I don't think there's anything wrong, it's just that the compressor pump kicks on a lot to keep the pressure up. I can still run the sandblaster 100%.

If nothing leaks, I'm willing to bet that you've got a defective pressure switch.

Edit: Oh, how blind I am. Care to share a picture of the tool you're torturing the poor machine with?

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-liter-abrasive-blast-gun-92857.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

The HF cabinet sand blaster my friend has uses 13-15 CFM at 80.

So that could pretty handily explain why your compressor runs constantly.

Edit: and the IR 240v 60 gallon 5 HP is rated at 18 CFM at 90, which is why it will run that cabinet without constantly being on.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 30, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So it claims 6 CFM?

Remember what I said about doubling the tool draw and halving the compressor claims? Yeah. Exactly that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

So it claims 6 CFM?

Remember what I said about doubling the tool draw and halving the compressor claims? Yeah. Exactly that.

There's still hope for humanity. At least he bought a huge tank. He's halfway there.

A defective pressure switch is my best bet. That or a failing tool.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Maybe not a tool, per se, but I guess I found out a much better way to remove old tint goo from windows and other sticky stuff. First, open up your cabinet and pull out that trusty old bottle of Goo Gone. Then, take a garbage can, any old one will be fine, and fuckin' throw that poo poo in there once you realize how much better 3M Adhesive Remover works.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Gah, screw it. I'll just get the $40 one for filling my tires. This happens every time I think about getting some air tools. It ends up that I need to spend $800 and have the garage rewired just to break some lugnuts free or do what my $8 HF electric angle grinder does.

By the time I'm in a position to do that I'll have enough electric tools that I won't even need a drat air compressor.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

revmoo posted:

Your cut-in/cut-out pressures may be set close enough that the compressor is trying to keep it within a narrow window. You can probably adjust your cut-in pressure to be a bit lower, then it will run less often, but for longer each time, with the same end result.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Blackdawgg posted:

Gah, screw it. I'll just get the $40 one for filling my tires. This happens every time I think about getting some air tools. It ends up that I need to spend $800 and have the garage rewired just to break some lugnuts free or do what my $8 HF electric angle grinder does.

By the time I'm in a position to do that I'll have enough electric tools that I won't even need a drat air compressor.

I sort of know where you're coming from. I got a small cheapish compressor early on just to run a small air nailer and for filling up tyres. It was really handy but then I thought I'd like to do a litle spray painting, this wasn't up to the job so I then got the largest compressor that would run off a 13amp socket. This worked fine for spraying and general use, although would severely run out of air on my cut off saw. Eventually I wanted to do a bit of sandblasting as well as spraying whilst using an air fed mask (spraying 2k ). This wasn't up to the job so I got a petrol compressor with a honda 13hp motor on it. This is terrific for certain jobs and nicely runs the air tools I have now. I use them at different sites so having a big electric fixed unit wasn't an option.

The point i'm trying to make is for the time being a cheap little one will do fine for inflating tyres and may spin up an impact gun but it will be slow going. It also has the advantage of being portable. Then in the future you can get a good sized compressor when you feel the need.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Am I likely to be able to find a set of metric impact hex keys at Home Depot / Lowes, or am I going to have to travel farther?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Tomarse posted:

I've broken 2 of the 1/2 inch machine mart ones. One took me jumping on it and just deformed really gracefully and one took a 6 foot scaffold bar and snapped suddenly. Didn't know they did a 3/4 too - I shall upgrade! :)

I still rate Halfords Pro tools over nearly everything else (Barring real pro stuff like Snap On etc). Get a trade card and the price is genuinely competitive.

That said, I've had quite a few mechanical weekends recently which has prompted me to buy a few things that, now I've got, I couldn't be without. Especially for the UKers, and in order of my perceived importance:

1. Impact Stud Remover
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tool-connection-tc3986-impact-stud-extractor?da=1&TC=SRC-laser+stud

This is the kind of thing that I've struggled for years without, preferring to buy spanners and sockets over 'gadgety' type tools. I got away with it for so long, but found myself staring at 4 broken, rusted in, studs one weekend. Can be used with an impact wrench, too, which brings me on to...

2. Electric Impact Wrench
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench?da=1&TC=SRC-clarke+electric+impact

Something I've wanted for ages, but just couldn't justify the outlay. Finally succumbed and, my, what a machine. I don't have the room for any kind of air compressor and I don't like the idea of annoying the neighbors with constant noise This bad boy will strip and sheer bolts at rates that simply can't be achieved by hand. It has the advantage of being capable of 450Nm - it's drawback is that it's really quite heavy and very bulky. Forget getting into tight spaces. But, I've done some terrible things with that torque..!

3. Gear Puller
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-4-piece-gear-puller-set-cgp4?da=1&TC=SRC-laser+gear+puller

Like the stud remover, for the price I should have got these years ago but, y'know, why spend money when a hammer and persistence will do the job! Haven't had a huge amount of use out of them, but they've been invaluable when required.

4. Reciprocating Saw
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-con850-reciprocating-saw?da=1&TC=SRC-clarke+contractor+saw

Although last in the list, this is actually my favourite. I was changing a pair of lower wishbones on a 15 year old car - the bolts just rounded on me and my angle grinder was stuggling to get into them. I'd actually changed tactic and had simply started cutting the wishbone, but it was killing my grinder and it kept "snatching". I was actually in MachineMart looking for new discs when I asked if they'd got an alternative. Although I can't see me using it very often, let me set the scene: I spent 3 hours in the freezing cold battling with an angle grinder. This thing came along and the car was road worthy within 90 minutes of starting. It's fast, accurate and downright destructive. Wonderful!

hermand fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 31, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Am I likely to be able to find a set of metric impact hex keys at Home Depot / Lowes, or am I going to have to travel farther?

Farther.

Where can I acquire one of these in the USA? I've got stud removal tools, and an oxy acetylene torch, but that looks trick.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Blackdawgg posted:

I plan on getting something more serious whenever I buy a house. I thought about the 2HP model from Harbor Freight but since it's oiled I can't use it to blow out my computer. It's not really big enough to power any air tools I don't see the reason to spend $100

I've cleaned out my computers for years with a standard pov-pack 2HP compressor.
I assume it's oiled because I dumped a few hundred mL of oil into the reservoir like it told me to about 5+ years ago.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

sharkytm posted:

Farther.

Where can I acquire one of these in the USA? I've got stud removal tools, and an oxy acetylene torch, but that looks trick.

Yeah, it's pretty handy. Google makes it very hard for me to shop on US sites, but it works similar to a chuck in a drill. Once you've got it "bitten" onto the stud, the more you undo the tighter it grips.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pursuant to my last question, would this set plus a cheap (Ryobi?) 12v cordless impact wrench spell disaster, or probably not?
http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...ic+impact+allen

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

hermand posted:

2. Electric Impact Wrench
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench?da=1&TC=SRC-clarke+electric+impact

Something I've wanted for ages, but just couldn't justify the outlay. Finally succumbed and, my, what a machine. I don't have the room for any kind of air compressor and I don't like the idea of annoying the neighbors with constant noise This bad boy will strip and sheer bolts at rates that simply can't be achieved by hand. It has the advantage of being capable of 450Nm - it's drawback is that it's really quite heavy and very bulky. Forget getting into tight spaces. But, I've done some terrible things with that torque..!

I've fancied one of these for ages too - how well does this one work?

I bought one of the £20 Aldi air impact wrenches and it wont free the wheel nuts off my landrover (they rust onto the wheels) with my compressor tank pre-filled and set as high as it will go.

Is this any better?

I have a 20% off machinemart voucher valid for the next week :)

hermand posted:

I still rate Halfords Pro tools over nearly everything else (Barring real pro stuff like Snap On etc). Get a trade card and the price is genuinely competitive.

Their list of trades is too restrictive. I've got my own IT company which is enough to open trade accounts in most places (we do have quite a number of powertools toolkits and compressors in use!) but they insist on it being a automotive trade for theirs :(

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 31, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Pursuant to my last question, would this set plus a cheap (Ryobi?) 12v cordless impact wrench spell disaster, or probably not?
http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...ic+impact+allen

The Ryobi is pretty solid. I'm however getting pretty tired having to post and re-post this: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-84...tric+impact+hex

They're expensive, but so far I've failed to break them. Correction: so far it's the only hex-bits I've failed to break.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Tomarse posted:

I can't speak for UK stuff, but I have This Impact (rated 240ft-lbs) and it'll pop off lugnuts all day. The only thing I couldn't get loose with were some M12 suspension bolts that had 12 years of salt on them. Those were so bad they recut their threads on the way out though.

And seriously, if you do any work on your car, buy a plugin electric impact if you don't have air tools. Just for taking wheels on and off it's worth the price, but it will come in handy more than you can ever realize.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I bought one of the £20 Aldi air impact wrenches and it wont free the wheel nuts off my landrover (they rust onto the wheels) with my compressor tank pre-filled and set as high as it will go.

Is this any better?

What size is your hose and compressor?

I was given what I'm pretty sure is one of the cheap aldi impact wrenches and it has proved more useful than I'd ever thought it would. I've only had it fail to remove one thing which as a very stuck panhard rod bolt on a 90. Switching to a short hose straight into the tank made the difference to remove it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crustashio posted:

I can't speak for UK stuff, but I have This Impact (rated 240ft-lbs) and it'll pop off lugnuts all day. The only thing I couldn't get loose with were some M12 suspension bolts that had 12 years of salt on them. Those were so bad they recut their threads on the way out though.

And seriously, if you do any work on your car, buy a plugin electric impact if you don't have air tools. Just for taking wheels on and off it's worth the price, but it will come in handy more than you can ever realize.

Is there a difference between impact drivers and wrenches?

e.g. this is only rated at 150Nm, compared to the 450Nm of the cabled one previously mentioned

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dewalt-18-volt-nano-phosphate-impact-driver-b

Is that enough to undo wheel nuts, etc?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

spog posted:

Is there a difference between impact drivers and wrenches?

e.g. this is only rated at 150Nm, compared to the 450Nm of the cabled one previously mentioned

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/dewalt-18-volt-nano-phosphate-impact-driver-b

Is that enough to undo wheel nuts, etc?

Yes, impact drivers have far less torque and sometimes apply a downward force in addition to a rotational one. I've always understood that they're meant for installing screws and such in a quick manner. Notice how that one has a locking hex drive, not a square 1/2". Even if you could get a bit to work with wheel nuts it wouldn't do squat, 150Nm is only 110ft-lb, and it's never going to function at that anyway.

If you want to work on a car, you need a 1/2" drive impact. The higher the rating, the better but I've been fine with 220 ft-lbs for most work. Exhaust, wheel nuts, flywheel bolts. Actually, that's another reason for an impact. If you have something that rotates freely but is held in with a nut (my e36 top strut nuts come to mind) an impact will get it off without having to retain it. Especially handy when you've got something like a shock where they give you 6mm flats and an M10 nut. Good luck getting that off with hand tools.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
This might be a better fit for Alternative Insanity, but I'll ask here since we are deep in Compressor Chat. I have an ancient Emglo gas powered (Wisconsin Robin engine) compressor, and I really need a new pressure control valve assembly for the compressor. Mine works, but is so worn that I can't really trust it to function correctly, it seems to be 50psi or outside the pressure relief in 1/2 turn of the adjuster. The valve threads into the tank with 1/4" or 3/8" NPT, has a line going to the compressor head to engage a bypass, and tees to a throttle control actuator, which works fine.

They're always missing from the compressors at the scrapyard, its not fair!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 31, 2012

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Tomarse posted:

Is this any better?

Can't speak for your air kit, but I'd be very surprised if it couldn't do it.

quote:

Their list of trades is too restrictive. I've got my own IT company which is enough to open trade accounts in most places (we do have quite a number of powertools toolkits and compressors in use!) but they insist on it being a automotive trade for theirs :(

Ah, there is a trick to this... I simply took some letter headed paper, some invoices and business cards for my newly formed mobile mechanic business. It sounds a faff, and it is, but it's seriously worth it if you have the gall.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

DJ Commie posted:

This might be a better fit for Alternative Insanity, but I'll ask here since we are deep in Compressor Chat. I have an ancient Emglo gas powered (Wisconsin Robin engine) compressor, and I really need a new pressure control valve assembly for the compressor. Mine works, but is so worn that I can't really trust it to function correctly, it seems to be 50psi or outside the pressure relief in 1/2 turn of the adjuster. The valve threads into the tank with 1/4" or 3/8" NPT, has a line going to the compressor head to engage a bypass, and tees to a throttle control actuator, which works fine.

They're always missing from the compressors at the scrapyard, its not fair!

I think you want an unloader pilot valve.

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/pilot-valve-for-pumps-unloaders-emglodewalt-style-p-2.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sir Cornelius posted:

The Ryobi is pretty solid. I'm however getting pretty tired having to post and re-post this: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-84...tric+impact+hex

They're expensive, but so far I've failed to break them. Correction: so far it's the only hex-bits I've failed to break.

Seconding the gearwrench impact bit recommendation. I have the 3/8ths drive ones and they are excellent, especially when pulling out old, red locktited from the factory front rotor bolts.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

That would be it, thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I double-dip on those by being registered both at work and at home, and just had one I used yesterday - couple of digital torque wrenches and a few hand tools.

Next time I have enough cash for one, I'll make use of it to buy one of their big compressors, but I need to get a 32A socket wired up in the garage for it before then.

My little 2.5hp compressor (not a Clarke one, it's from a place called Shiremoor) works just fine for most things, but yes, I do find the Aldi impact gun I have to be a bit lacking in oomph. One of the other things I bought yesterday was a shorter, larger-bore hose for air tools, so I'll see if that makes an improvement.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

hermand posted:

Can't speak for your air kit, but I'd be very surprised if it couldn't do it.

Ah, there is a trick to this... I simply took some letter headed paper, some invoices and business cards for my newly formed mobile mechanic business. It sounds a faff, and it is, but it's seriously worth it if you have the gall.

Pretty much this. A lot of companies send me advertising flyers and junkmail directed to "Mickey Mouse Automotive Fabrication Inc." and addressed to my house now.

Fuckers, I would leave the company box on your order form blank but you won't let me!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got £50 of B&Q vouchers for Christmas so I spent it all on some flex head ratchet wrenches. Pulling the rear wiper motor off my wife's Peugeot wagon & the 9mm end prolapses all over the place. I take it back & the cheeky poo poo on customer service desk shrugs & tells me not to worry, 9mm "isn't common, you probably won't miss it"

It's been a while since I had a proper shouty rant at a customer service fall.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

I got £50 of B&Q vouchers for Christmas so I spent it all on some flex head ratchet wrenches. Pulling the rear wiper motor off my wife's Peugeot wagon & the 9mm end prolapses all over the place. I take it back & the cheeky poo poo on customer service desk shrugs & tells me not to worry, 9mm "isn't common, you probably won't miss it"

It's been a while since I had a proper shouty rant at a customer service fall.

It's almost worth the initial hassle to enjoy a righteous, cathartic rant.

I assume that a grown-up helped you get a replacement.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Went to the junkyard today and realized halfway through pulling Honda brake/wheel bearing parts that both my 13 and 14mm Husky impact sockets are actually 13mm. :wtf:

Apparently someone put a 13mm socket forging into the knurling/label stamping machine by accident a year ago when I bought this socket set.

First problem I've ever had with a Husky tool (aside from ratchets) that didn't involve a six or seven foot cheater pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

It's almost worth the initial hassle to enjoy a righteous, cathartic rant.

I assume that a grown-up helped you get a replacement.

Yeah, no problem once I spoke to an adult. Wiper motor is knackered though, gently caress French bastards crimping every bastard thing together means I need a while new assembly.