Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Well, you might be interested to know that as terrifying as that video looks, that is actually designed into the ship - those familiar with Hooke's law will see that this is still within the elastic range of the steel.

The terrifying thing would be if it's NOT doing that. Same thing for bridges.

I remember way back when I was first taking high angle rescue courses and we were out on a bridge that was swaying all over the place. I joked to the bridge engineer "this is what it's supposed to be doing, right?" and he got all serious and said "if you are EVER on something this size in the wind or with traffic on it and it's not moving at least this much you need to run as fast as you loving can off of it."

SlapActionJackson posted:

Found this under the valve cover in the 911 today:

And thus my small job to fix leaky valve covers just became a full on engine rebuild. :(

Ouch. Goondolences.

3.2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

MattO posted:

Dash cam that filmed the plane crash in Russia, possible mechanical failure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQdW6yS5o4

Whoa, the tire bouncing off the car in front of him and the seats, geez.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Carteret posted:

Buy a car with a Cartridge oil filter. Problem solved! :smug:

This is actually exactly what I've done. I use Wix filters.

Edit: The Pentastar puts the oil filter on top of the engine, dead center. The canister (plastic) has a nut on the end. The 327 has a canister that's vertical, exactly opposite the starter's location underneath; no nut, and the thing is like 5" diameter.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 31, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Snowdens Secret posted:

Toyota used to over-engineer the gently caress out of everything.

Reminds me of the Mercedes before the 90's. Look at the 190e... they are still running around, and many have well over 250K miles and still chugging along.

At least :911: is pretty good at not raising the standards!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Yep. A bit annoying since the 3.2 isn't supposed to be as susceptible to breaking head studs, but this car has been a track rat for me and the PO, so it's definitely taken a beating.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 31, 2012

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Reminds me of the Mercedes before the 90's. Look at the 190e... they are still running around, and many have well over 250K miles and still chugging along.

The 190e would be like every other Mercedes from the 70s on until they went all Plastic Fantastic (and got even worse): everything would be on the edge of failure, there would be no radio, HVAC, no glow plugs, no dash lights except for the lit ones that are indicating incorrectly, the engine runs more on its blowby than fuel, transmission is either not shifting correctly or not shifting at all, etc.

I really think that Ferrari adage about being able to afford two to keep one running matches luxury German cars as well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I blame computer modeling. Instead of overbuilding for the sake of reliability, they can see how much metal/stress is needed before failures occur.

That whole cost of 10lbs of block material staying there versus removing it for weight savings, tooling costs, etc.

Of course those computers also give us well over 100hp/L so it's not all brown rain.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

The 190e would be like every other Mercedes from the 70s on until they went all Plastic Fantastic (and got even worse): everything would be on the edge of failure, there would be no radio, HVAC, no glow plugs, no dash lights except for the lit ones that are indicating incorrectly, the engine runs more on its blowby than fuel, transmission is either not shifting correctly or not shifting at all, etc.

I really think that Ferrari adage about being able to afford two to keep one running matches luxury German cars as well.

To be fair, the engines are pretty bulletproof :colbert:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

sharkytm posted:

Reliability wise, both Kia and Hyundai make darn good cars. Don't know about working on them, however.
Awful. That's the reason for the lack of work on my Opel for the last few weeks. Replaced a leaking wheel cylinder, had to remove most of the interior to replace a stuck parking brake cable (they ran the cables under the drat carpet), replaced a door handle assembly a minute ago, and should be replacing all of the brake lines today. Replaced most of the front suspension a few months ago which involved cutting and welding parts of the frame due to captive nuts not being captive any more.

This is all on a 2002 Accent with only 45k on the clock.

E: Window crank handle broke off, fml

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yep. A bit annoying since the 3.2 isn't supposed to be as susceptible to breaking head studs, but this car has been a track rat for me and the PO, so it's definitely taken a beating.

Yeah....not AS susceptible, but I've had a few in for exactly that.

I did a dirty, dirty hack job on one for somebody who just wanted it back quick by simply putting another stud in and torquing it then checking compression cold/hot. It's not like you're going to end up with coolant in the sump :)

As far as I know, he's still running on that, several years later. I told him to leave it when he had more time, yet I've not seen it back and he apparently finished his season on it.

Yeah...don't do that. Do it right.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Awful. That's the reason for the lack of work on my Opel for the last few weeks. Replaced a leaking wheel cylinder, had to remove most of the interior to replace a stuck parking brake cable (they ran the cables under the drat carpet), replaced a door handle assembly a minute ago, and should be replacing all of the brake lines today. Replaced most of the front suspension a few months ago which involved cutting and welding parts of the frame due to captive nuts not being captive any more.

Put it in a skip, fix your Opel, daily drive it.

:colbert:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The quality difference between early 2000s Kia/Hyundai and later is mind-blowing. My friend bought a 2005 with low Kms and blew up the engine within a week. The dealer gave him a deal on a 2007, and the fit and general feeling of sturdiness is like night and day.

I'm not saying recent Kias are GOOD, but I'm not sure you can use a 12 year old car to judge.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

G-Mach posted:

This happened to my friend this spring.

Pun intended? :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Working on my Genesis Coupe has been amazing. 2011. Don't know how much can change in 8 years, but My car doesn't even look like a Hyundai.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I meant modern, as in "past two generations or five years" my the same time frame, Ford didn't have a functioning diesel truck engine after 2004.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

02 is ancient history, it is THREE model cycles back. The cars from that era are russian-level terrible and bear no resemblance to the current ones.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Carteret posted:

Working on my Genesis Coupe has been amazing. 2011. Don't know how much can change in 8 years, but My car doesn't even look like a Hyundai.

Yes it does.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yes it does.

Correction: It doesn't look like a "Korean Car." All the new Hyundai's are looking really nice, so depending on your opinion of what a Hyundai is supposed to look like it may or may not.

5 Years ago I would have never even considered purchasing a Korean car. Even after living in Seoul. The Gen Coupe just shattered all of my preconceived notions, and is an amazing car for the money (besides the lovely synchros.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Carteret posted:

Correction: It doesn't look like a "Korean Car." All the new Hyundai's are looking really nice, so depending on your opinion of what a Hyundai is supposed to look like it may or may not.

5 Years ago I would have never even considered purchasing a Korean car. Even after living in Seoul. The Gen Coupe just shattered all of my preconceived notions, and is an amazing car for the money (besides the lovely synchros.)

Less talk of Korean cars, more broken poo poo.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Do it right.

That's the plan. Inspect everything down to the crank, rebuild what's needed. Hoping I can keep it under $10K if I do the assembly/disassembly myself and pay only for parts and machining.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

And then there are the cars (I'm looking at you 2zr-fe) which have a plastic housing with no drain. If you use anything other than a perfectly sized cup-style filter wrench you WILL destroy it.

The new Rav4 has a plastic housing and plastic drain. From the factory that cover was tightened to around 100ft/lbs and the plastic drain was [i]only]/i] about 40.
Toyota apparently sent out a bullitin saying that they should be no more than 25NM.
http://www.toyotapart.com/OIL_FILTER_CAP_ASSEMBLY_PRECAUTIONS_T-SB-0104-09.pdf

I bought the special oil filter wrench and I STILL thought it was going to slip.

What kills me is that there's a little lock tab on the oil filter cover that's supposed to lock into place when tightened. First oil change and that tab was a full 3/4 of an inch past where it was supposed to be locked into.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 31, 2012

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a dealer info book from 1987 for the 300 klasse. Over and over the marketing speak spooges over how the ENGINEERS WOULDNT LET IT BE ANY OTHER WAY.

The one that sticks out is them using only analog gauges because the Engineers thought that digital ones weren't as easy to read or robust.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's the plan. Inspect everything down to the crank, rebuild what's needed. Hoping I can keep it under $10K if I do the assembly/disassembly myself and pay only for parts and machining.

Chances are high that if it's been running right and had good compression and power that you'll be in great shape. Those motors are little tanks and don't often need the full on everything during a rebuild.

Of course you could go that way if you choose, but it's unlikely to be necessary. I think $10k for parts/machining is probably a really conservatively high number for something that's been running properly....especially if you're shopping around for parts.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

I have a dealer info book from 1987 for the 300 klasse. Over and over the marketing speak spooges over how the ENGINEERS WOULDNT LET IT BE ANY OTHER WAY.

The one that sticks out is them using only analog gauges because the Engineers thought that digital ones weren't as easy to read or robust.

They're partially right. The W124 and particularly the W201 are extremely overengineered and over-specced. If it wasn't for rust killing most of them, I'd probably be driving a 190D 2.5 5-cylinder turbodiesel right now.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Chances are high that if it's been running right and had good compression and power that you'll be in great shape. Those motors are little tanks and don't often need the full on everything during a rebuild.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst, right? I wouldn't be too concerned about the bottom end except my fan pulley has a wobble (axial runout) that was not cured by replacing the pulley. If the engine is going to come out and apart I want to get the crankshaft checked to verify that isn't the source of the problem. And given that level of disassembly, the pistons & cylinders will be inspected as part of the process. The engine ran fine (I was working on it to try and fix some drat oil leaks) so I'm optimistic that I won't need new pistons or cylinders.

Once I get the engine on the stand, I'll check compression and leakdown and compare it to the numbers I have from the PPI a year ago.

I'm trying to do this rebuild in an economically *efficient* manner so anything that's expensive to replace and still in good shape is going right back in the motor.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

This happened to a friend of mine today. Sheet of ice flew off the SUV in front of him landed with enough force to cave the windshield in. Dude has a pregnant wife who thankfully wasn't in the car with him, but god drat...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

They're partially right. The W124 and particularly the W201 are extremely overengineered and over-specced. If it wasn't for rust killing most of them, I'd probably be driving a 190D 2.5 5-cylinder turbodiesel right now.

I have to agree with djcommie here, they were overengineered but often it just made the cars a pain in the rear end to work on. It's possible it contributed to the useful lifespan of the vehicles, but they had terrible electrical problems and a lot of those cars have lots of poo poo broken. Those fuses alone were a crime against automotive decency and that fuel injection system was Kafka-esque.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

bisticles posted:

This happened to a friend of mine today. Sheet of ice flew off the SUV in front of him landed with enough force to cave the windshield in. Dude has a pregnant wife who thankfully wasn't in the car with him, but god drat...

Is it against the law to drive around with snow on your car there? I know in NS you can at least get a ticket for it, and I'm pretty sure if that happened you could be held liable for the damage.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Crustashio posted:

Is it against the law to drive around with snow on your car there? I know in NS you can at least get a ticket for it, and I'm pretty sure if that happened you could be held liable for the damage.

Yeah I remember once a truck crossing one of the bridges in Halifax had ice fly off and smash a windshield - the guy was charged / fined for it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It is, and I've seen people get pulled over and ticketed for it, but it's fairly rare. Immediately following snow, there are a lot of tank commanders out there, driving around with only a small section of their windshield cleared off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KozmoNaut posted:

For what it's worth the '94 e320 (gas inline 6) I bought a couple of months ago & repaired (body) seems to be extremely well-engineered & easy to work on. And yes, the upper engine wiring harness was replaced. It needs the windows & sunroof de-gunked & re-lubed, a new power antenna unit (at worst) & a front tire balance (may be a damper or something else, I'll find out after I rotate the fronts to the rear). Everything works.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bisticles posted:

It is, and I've seen people get pulled over and ticketed for it, but it's fairly rare. Immediately following snow, there are a lot of tank commanders out there, driving around with only a small section of their windshield cleared off.

:lol: Tank commander. That's perfect.

I took a huge chunk of ice to the windshield on my way home for XMas. I'm amazed that it didn't blow my windshield in... I could actually see it flex. My wife was sleeping in the passenger seat. Needless to say, she about jumped out of her skin. The ice came from an XJ's roof. The guy hadn't cleared any of it off, and it just lifted, fragged, and went everywhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

What I hate is when I clear my screen, drive off, and then find that my fantastic visibility lasts roughly twenty seconds before it freezes/mists up again. This leads to a manoeuvre we call "The Ace Ventura":

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

I took a huge chunk of ice to the windshield on my way home for XMas. I'm amazed that it didn't blow my windshield in... I could actually see it flex. My wife was sleeping in the passenger seat. Needless to say, she about jumped out of her skin. The ice came from an XJ's roof. The guy hadn't cleared any of it off, and it just lifted, fragged, and went everywhere.

I had my XJ's windshield shattered by a giant slab of ice (around 3 by 4 feet and several inches thick) that flew off a minivan in the adjacent lane on 290 in 09.

Hit so hard it hosed up the wiper linkage and broke the cowling around the washer sprayer, too.

I gave my insurance company the van's plate number when I made the claim. I hope they got the bill but they probably didn't.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sharkytm posted:

'Round here, we call them "burka drivers" :ninja:

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Das Volk posted:

I have to agree with djcommie here, they were overengineered but often it just made the cars a pain in the rear end to work on. It's possible it contributed to the useful lifespan of the vehicles, but they had terrible electrical problems and a lot of those cars have lots of poo poo broken. Those fuses alone were a crime against automotive decency and that fuel injection system was Kafka-esque.

There's definitely a 'bulletproof' myth about old cars that pops up on car blogs and forums. Sure, a Mercedes or Volvo 240 will run forever, but does anyone mention all the weekends spent wrenching, reading cryptic forums and the thousands of dollars for that to happen? I guess it's similar to when someone looks at an insanely difficult project car and thinks 'that's an easy fix.'

W124 build quality was pretty good for the early 80's, but the car came from the factory riddled with expensive and really stupid flaws caused by German engineerink hubris or something. And all of them on the road today need a rolling restoration. There are a few reasons to buy an elderly Mercedes-Benz, but safety, reliability and low costs aren't any of them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Compared to a contemporary Cadillac Cimarron or Chevy Citation they probably weren't that bad. Once the Japanese started to move in on the market with the first gen Integra and LS, it got a bit iffy.

Instead of trying to make vague generalities based on stereotypes of national character it's a lot more useful to just track the changes in the currency markets. The Deutchmark to USD exchange rate from the 1970s-80s was around 2.5, reaching as high as 3.3 in the middle of the 80s. From that point on it went down to 1.6 in the 1990s and was converted to Euros at ~2, with the Euro being introduced at par with USD. So there's your history of relative quality of the German car industry. :tipshat:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Compared to a contemporary Cadillac Cimarron or Chevy Citation they probably weren't that bad. Once the Japanese started to move in on the market with the first gen Integra and LS, it got a bit iffy.

Instead of trying to make vague generalities based on stereotypes of national character it's a lot more useful to just track the changes in the currency markets. The Deutchmark to USD exchange rate from the 1970s-80s was around 2.5, reaching as high as 3.3 in the middle of the 80s. From that point on it went down to 1.6 in the 1990s and was converted to Euros at ~2, with the Euro being introduced at par with USD. So there's your history of relative quality of the German car industry. :tipshat:

You really have it out for ze Germans don't you?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

You really have it out for ze Germans don't you?

People say the Cimarron and Citation weren't good cars but all this was before I was born so I really have no idea. v:downs:v

EDIT: What I am trying to say is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sblq-CwzEY

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

People say the Cimarron and Citation weren't good cars but all this was before I was born so I really have no idea. v:downs:v

EDIT: What I am trying to say is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sblq-CwzEY

Its a feature, not a bug.