Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
When something makes it to Perth, it's officially a thing. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

I'm in south east Queensland and there were only two stores before now that sold vinyl in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and they only had 50ish records each.

hey there Brisbane buddy

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

slardel posted:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

I've seen the Selected Ambient Works II in a few shops, but that is a pretty bad change in cover art for the 85-92. I was looking on GIS, and does the back cover really have a huge "LIMITED EDITION" on the bottom right corner? One of the things I have always loved about Aphex is that most of his art direction never went the way of the sleek IDM/DnB futuristic graphics of others at the time.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Yeah, it kind of looks like a bad deviant art wallpaper and the font is awful, but it's one of those albums where you don't really care at all I guess. It could have a giant poo poo on the front as long as I can bump xtal.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 31, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I found an original pressing of SAW 85-92 in a store once and I still regret not buying it :negative:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
that's a bootleg of SAW, that's why the cover is so ridiculous.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

welp. that both sucks and makes a lot of sense.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Got a few albums over Christmas. Got these two from my mother. First being Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song. Some pretty classy Christmas music and the only holiday music I have on vinyl at the moment.

Second was this copy of Stravinsky's Petroushka. It's a version he conducted for his 80th birthday with Columbia's orchestra. Apparently, he chose the cover art himself, which is a pretty cool piece.

Next three I got from a friend who is starting a small side business selling old vinyl. Nothing major, just a little thing he does more for the fun of it at the moment. Anyway, first up is this album with some James Bond themes.

Duke Ellington's Black, Brown, and Beige. Jacket is a bit beat up, but the vinyl is just fine.

Also, A Farewell To Kings. Haven't even heard anything off this one yet, as far as I know, so I'm looking forward to giving it a listen.

Finally, the old man got me a copy of Vektor's Outer Isolation. I missed out on Black Future on vinyl, so I'm glad to get a copy of this. Still haven't made up my mind if the art on this or the CD version is better. They're both pretty great.

The backside.

The front of the sleeve.

The reverse.

What the? Where's the record?!?!?! I guess the green sold out pretty quick, which I expected, but clear was my second choice and it's still drat cool.

And last but not least, I got the Audio-Technica LP60 turntable. Thanks to the dude that recommended it. Works great and is light years ahead of what I used to have. Dug out the old stereo system so I could it hook it up to something that will sound decent. The Nat King Cole album was what I christened it with when I got it Christmas day, which I think was certainly fitting.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Great post. In the nicest way I am glad that you got a new turntable. The old one had lots of retro kitsch, but it was not so good for your poor old records.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

david puddy posted:

I found an original pressing of SAW 85-92 in a store once and I still regret not buying it :negative:

I've had the opportunity several times, but the re-issue was a remaster and sounded a lot better so what's the point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I've had the opportunity several times, but the re-issue was a remaster and sounded a lot better so what's the point.

Because IT'S SO RARE! Who cares what it sounds like, it's a shiny pretty thing and few people are allowed to have it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Great post. In the nicest way I am glad that you got a new turntable. The old one had lots of retro kitsch, but it was not so good for your poor old records.

Me, too. Glad I learned that about the old player, or else I would've gone on playing records on it, blissfully unaware. Plus, it's just such an upgrade in terms of sounding good. I love it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Because in Australia the odds of finding something like it for a reasonable price are stupidly low

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In your defense, the reissue is loving ugly. It comes in a generic RS sleeve.

Sounds great though.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
And apparently the Selected Ambient Works II reissue is a little lackluster, too. It is a reissue of the CD tracks on vinyl, so it's missing two tracks. But the artwork with the pie charts account for those tracks, like the original.

Anyone have it? Does it sound pretty good, at least?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Vinyl? Who needs vinyl when you can make a record out of ice?

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671478/a-record-made-of-ice-that-actually-plays

Only 10 kits to make the record were made.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

that is a dope popsicle

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Has anyone had trouble playing 10"s on an automatic turntable? (I know I know, I wish I had a manual)

For some reason mine keeps dropping the needle like 3/4 of the way through the record

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kevar posted:

Has anyone had trouble playing 10"s on an automatic turntable? (I know I know, I wish I had a manual)

For some reason mine keeps dropping the needle like 3/4 of the way through the record

Autos typically only recognize 12" or 7". It knows you're not playing a 12", so it goes to where a 7" would start.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Vinyl? Who needs vinyl when you can make a record out of ice?

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671478/a-record-made-of-ice-that-actually-plays

Only 10 kits to make the record were made.

NPR had a quick bit about this on my drive into work today. Didn't sound as bad as expected , didn't sound good either but it was working and that was nifty.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Finally found a copy of the excellent Raekwon album Cuban Linx 2 on purple vinyl!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 1, 2013

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
That is an awesome find, the purple is dope.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks, I found it randomly on this little hiphop label/distributor's site for only 14.99... They might have more: Fat Beats

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

traveling midget posted:

Autos typically only recognize 12" or 7". It knows you're not playing a 12", so it goes to where a 7" would start.

I figured that was the case. I only have like a half dozen 10"s but that's still pretty lame.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does it have cueing? Just pop that up, turn on the auto, and manually drop it.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Fors Yard posted:

And apparently the Selected Ambient Works II reissue is a little lackluster, too. It is a reissue of the CD tracks on vinyl, so it's missing two tracks. But the artwork with the pie charts account for those tracks, like the original.

Anyone have it? Does it sound pretty good, at least?

The reissue on 1972 Records sounds great, it's a really good pressing. Since it's licensed from Sire, yeah, it only has the tracks from the Sire release. Being an American, though, that's the only version I've ever owned, so whatever. Until Warp finally decides to repress it, this is the best possible option. It actually sounds better than my friend's Warp pressing, which is pretty noisy.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

My favourite track from SAWII (Stone In Focus, E2 I think) is one of the ones excluded from the newer pressings and CD release so I am looking at $90-120 for a personal copy :saddowns:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
My brown vinyl copy of SAW II is pretty much the noisiest record I've ever heard, so I might just switch to the re-issue.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

My brown vinyl copy of SAW II is pretty much the noisiest record I've ever heard, so I might just switch to the re-issue.

That's the pressing my friend has. I've heard that black pressing sounds better, but is more rare.

david puddy posted:

My favourite track from SAWII (Stone In Focus, E2 I think) is one of the ones excluded from the newer pressings and CD release so I am looking at $90-120 for a personal copy :saddowns:

I mean, you're talking about music recorded on DAT-- that the original Warp pressing is not very good means that whatever mp3 you have of that song is probably a better quality version than the original pressing. Most likely the mp3 came from the Astralwerks CD comp, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Has anybody ordered a turntable from Insound? How is the service/shipping/etc? I'm going to pick up a new Debut Carbon and I was going to buy it from Needledoctor, on account of their customer service reputation and whatnot. But Insound's got a deal where they'll give you a free $20 vinyl credit if you order a table from them before January 2, and the pricing on the Carbon is exactly the same for both shops otherwise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Has anybody ordered a turntable from Insound? How is the service/shipping/etc? I'm going to pick up a new Debut Carbon and I was going to buy it from Needledoctor, on account of their customer service reputation and whatnot. But Insound's got a deal where they'll give you a free $20 vinyl credit if you order a table from them before January 2, and the pricing on the Carbon is exactly the same for both shops otherwise.

The records on Insound are over priced anyway. I'd go with the company that has a good reputation instead.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I refuse to buy anything from InSound. Their poo poo is way too expensive and their packaging isn't very good at all.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I refuse to buy anything from InSound. Their poo poo is way too expensive and their packaging isn't very good at all.

They also have a tendency to list out of stock items as in stock until you attempt to buy them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CPL593H posted:

They also have a tendency to list out of stock items as in stock until you attempt to buy them.

Yeah this is the worst.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Jumping on the Insound blows train.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

The records on Insound are over priced anyway. I'd go with the company that has a good reputation instead.

WASDF posted:

While all of these things are true, in this case the cost of the turntable is identical from both places. Insound's vinyl is overpriced, their packaging isn't great, and I've felt the sting of their 'in stock/out of stock' issue personally- but this time the LP's free, so....

On the other hand, the point about their packaging may extend to tables too. I suppose it may be worth going with Needledoctor for the peace of mind that they've got people who could talk me through poo poo should the need arise.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

On the other hand, the point about their packaging may extend to tables too. I suppose it may be worth going with Needledoctor for the peace of mind that they've got people who could talk me through poo poo should the need arise.

Yes, exactly.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I don't really care where anyone orders from, but I got a Debut Carbon from InSound a couple months ago during a 20% (?) off sale. It got backordered, but did ship and was packed well. I never had any reason to contact them after that, but FWIW, I was satisfied.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

One of the few things that actually, legitimately, pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
My friend owns a record store, so I tend to just peruse their selection (which is mostly used vinyl). I did get a Hot Water Music LP (A Flight and A Crash) and Earth 2 from him.

Other than that I use Amazon. I have prime so there really isn't a reason for me not to unless they just don't have it (which is often).

Anyone know of a good site that has rare stuff, like 90s indie on vinyl? Unless they reissue it's really hard to find.