Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Little Inferno does present itself as "not a game", but this is total misdirection. It is very much a game. It has a series of objectives that you can complete that follow a story, and eventually you beat the game. I can't say much more, though, because seeing how it all unfolds is a lot of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That interview is interesting, it explains a little bit why the Nintendo indie scene is really its redeeming quality.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Warioland VB was incredible at release. It was a sharp/polished sequel to the first game.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

shut up you're a virgin :qq:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AngryCaterpillar posted:

shut up you're a virgin :qq:

Haha I love Wario games, especially Wario World. But ESPECIALLY the Virtual Boy one (no joke).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Obeast posted:

That sounds pretty awesome. I was thinking it was gonna be like 3D Classics Xevious (I dunno about the other ones since I haven't played them), but this sounds really neat.

I'd like to see the Cabinet Mode in action though... Because, even though it sounds neat (especially to people who played a shitload of it on the actual cabinet), the description makes it sound like it could be a good source of motion sickness.

Someone uploaded some footage with Cabinet Mode turned on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvaJ6jPyI8A

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Is the reward for collecting all 200 Music Coins in Wario Land 3 seriously just a new course for that awful Wario Golf minigame? Do you get anything for beating that course, or is that it? That's not a reward, that's a punishment.

I'm still going to collect all of them anyway because that's how I roll (i.e. collectathon OCD), but still.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Joramun posted:

Is the reward for collecting all 200 Music Coins in Wario Land 3 seriously just a new course for that awful Wario Golf minigame? Do you get anything for beating that course, or is that it? That's not a reward, that's a punishment.

I'm still going to collect all of them anyway because that's how I roll (i.e. collectathon OCD), but still.

Yeah, that's all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NCL is gonna be discounting a few 3DS games on the Japanese eShop over the new year - these games will be discounted from January 1-6:

Denpa Ningen 2 (Denpa Men 2) - 700yen, discount of 300yen
Rhythm Hunter HarmoKnight - 1300yen, discount of 500yen
3D Classics Kirby's Adventure - 400yen, discount of 200yen

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 20):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    World Heroes 2 (Neo Geo)- 900 Wii Points
3DS eSHOP
    LEGO Lord of the Rings (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Academy Chess Puzzles - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
    Rabi Lady - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

Nothing for Wii U, not even Zen Pinball 2 which Nintendo said would be out this month. Figures.

Who's up for Lost Levels?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I gave a friend two $20 3DS eShop cards for Christmas. She's never had any eShop money before and I don't think she's even had any actual money in her account to spare for it, so she's out of the loop. There's a LOT of great choices and she wants to know what to get.

I told her Denpa Men for sure, but that's the only extremely solid rec I have so far. I'm willing to rec DSiWare as well. (I remember liking Picdun.) I showed her that Twinbee is up for free on Club Nintendo, so there's also that.

Another thing is she's still only got the default SD card (because as I've said, she's had no chance to download anything before).

What say you, goons? What should I rec to a woman with eShop cash to burn?

Edit: Just texted her about Colors! 3D. Unlike most of us, she draws very well. I told her it's a bit overpriced, though.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 27, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Why is the UK eShop so expensive Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Rhetorical question that I know is probably posted about twice a page, but I cannot get over it. I'd save a few quid per game just by switching within my region to the Euro-store. I don't want to do it because I am irrationally afraid of loving up and losing my funds and/or games. Jesus.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Why is the UK eShop so expensive Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Rhetorical question that I know is probably posted about twice a page, but I cannot get over it. I'd save a few quid per game just by switching within my region to the Euro-store. I don't want to do it because I am irrationally afraid of loving up and losing my funds and/or games. Jesus.

If you change to another region, your balance for the new region will be zero, but if you changed back to the UK region they would still be there. I've done this. Games aren't affected by region change.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Haha I love Wario games, especially Wario World. But ESPECIALLY the Virtual Boy one (no joke).

I'd kill for a VC release of that game. Such a shame it was wasted on the virtual boy.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Boondock Saint posted:

I'd kill for a VC release of that game. Such a shame it was wasted on the virtual boy.
It's too bad so few have played it, but at the time I don't think the graphics would have had that sharp, crisp quality on any other system.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is the NA update delayed a day because of Christmas?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They put out a press release for it

Nintendo of America Press Release posted:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U™
Holiday Deals in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U – For a limited time, Chasing Aurora, Little Inferno and Trine 2™: Director's Cut are now available in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U at a special price.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS™
Fluidity: Spin Cycle – Tilt, turn and even completely rotate your Nintendo 3DS system 360 degrees to maneuver a puddle of water through a mazelike, magical world filled with tricky tunnels and crazy contraptions. In this sequel to the hit game Fluidity, change from liquid to a block of ice or a steam cloud to solve fun, gravity-defying puzzles as you try to rescue the Rainbow Spirits trapped in the pages of a magical book.

Super Mario Bros.™: The Lost Levels – Originally released in 1986 in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2, this game has made only brief appearances in the West. Mario™ fans will appreciate the familiar look and feel of the game, while finding that its updated game play presents an entirely new challenge. In addition to the classic enemies already known to fans worldwide, there are also Poison Mushrooms, backward Warp Zones and the occasional wind gust (which can help or hinder progress). Players can get ready to put their Mario skills to the ultimate test and save the Princess once again. Just don't be surprised if she's in another castle. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is now available as a Virtual Console title for the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Mega Man™ – Join the blue bomber in his first ever adventure as he battles the evil Dr. Wily and his robotic henchmen. Mega Man is a super robot created by the genius scientist Dr. Light. When another scientist by the name of Dr. Wily goes rogue with an army of six of his own devious Robot Masters, it's up to Mega Man to put a stop to his nefarious plot by traversing a series of stages rife with enemies, traps and perilous platform challenges. Mega Man was originally released for the Nintendo Entertainment System™ in 1987 and is now available as a Virtual Console title for the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.

Virtual Console for Wii™
SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD – SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD is a military-themed action game, first released in 1998. Choose one of four mercenaries and battle through multiple stages by shooting, using different weapons and jumping. The highly praised scoring system from the previous game returns, but the characters are all new. Some other changes include the abilities to operate vehicles and choose different routes in levels.

Also new this week:
• A Jam-Packed Year-in-Review! (Nintendo Video™ on Nintendo 3DS)
• Johnny Impossible™ (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Mahjong 3D - Warriors of the Emperor (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Goooooal América (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi™ Shop on Nintendo DSi)
• Jump Trials Extreme (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)
• Wizard Defenders (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS / Nintendo DSi Shop on Nintendo DSi)

E: Yeah, they are all on the e-Shop right now.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (December 27):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    World Heroes 2 (Neo Geo)- 900 Wii Points
3DS eSHOP
    LEGO Lord of the Rings (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Academy Chess Puzzles - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
    Rabi Lady - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

NA update (December 27):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Shock Troopers 2nd Squad (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS eSHOP
    Fluidity: Spin Cycle - $10.99
    Johnny Impossible - $5.99
    Mahjong 3D - Warriors of the Emperor - $9.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man (NES) - $4.99
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
    Goooooal America - 500 Points / $4.99
    Jump Trials Extreme - 200 Points / $1.99
    Defenders Wizards - 200 Points / $1.99
SALES/DISCOUNTS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until January 3
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - $9.99 until January 4
    Trine 2: Special Edition (Wii U eShop) - $14.99 until January 7

(sorry for the delay, NOA press release doesn't go out until after 1am my time, so I skipped it and went to bed)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gently caress, I just gotta beat the final part of Fluidity so I can download the new one.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They can get the original Mega Man, but they still don't have the Oracle Zeldas up. Come on, guys, my Seasons cart doesn't work anymore.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Leofish posted:

They can get the original Mega Man, but they still don't have the Oracle Zeldas up. Come on, guys, my Seasons cart doesn't work anymore.

I still can't believe they made the decision to disallow multiplayer on old games. The biggest boost in popularity for games like Tetris or Radar Mission was the ability to link up with another player, and now you just drop the ROM in the online store without even that? What's the point then?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

StevenM posted:

I still can't believe they made the decision to disallow multiplayer on old games. The biggest boost in popularity for games like Tetris or Radar Mission was the ability to link up with another player, and now you just drop the ROM in the online store without even that? What's the point then?

It won't really matter for Oracle of Season and Age, as there is the password option to move the saves over.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just watched trailers for Trine 2 and Little Inferno, and I have some questions:

first, what does Trine 2 play like? It looks like a fantasy type 2D side scrolling platformer. Is it fun? Is there a story? I don't really know anything about it.

Does Little Inferno have a plot? Is there some kind of puzzle-solving element to it? Are you like, solving a mystery or something? Or are you just burning poo poo. It looks kinda neat but I'm not sold yet.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

It won't really matter for Oracle of Season and Age, as there is the password option to move the saves over.

MeccaPrime was kind enough to demonstrate the same in his LP of both games. The talk of the Oracles series just reminded me of so many games on the system that used connectivity of some kind (passwords or Link Cable) to access extra features, and how said connectivity was cut off for some arbitrary reason on the eShop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

StevenM posted:

MeccaPrime was kind enough to demonstrate the same in his LP of both games. The talk of the Oracles series just reminded me of so many games on the system that used connectivity of some kind (passwords or Link Cable) to access extra features, and how said connectivity was cut off for some arbitrary reason on the eShop.

It's not "some arbitrary reason". It is VERY HARD to emulate a physical cable over a wireless signal. They work completely differently with different margins of error and different protocals. Ever tried getting netplay on an emulator to work reliably? Yeah.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StevenM posted:

The simple answer is Nintendo doesn't want to spend the money to hire a set of programmers to work out a way for link cables to work.

I'll save the :words: and put in the real issues

This is assuming that the whole cable thing is worked out which alone might cost Nintendo more than they would get back from selling a couple extra copies of a game to stubborn holdouts. They removed link compatibility from the DS systems, so they obviously had the problem then.

What do you do if someone doesn't have the same game?
If you send the whole game over Local Wifi, how do you keep the other person from going into single player and beating the whole game, depriving Nintendo of a sale?
You lose link connectivity in the emulated game, how do you reconnect? Do you drop all players and force the game to be redownloaded?

It goes on and on. They would get roughly the same amount of money if they were to put Pokemon on the Virtual Console with or without a link cable. They're selling nostalgia, not multiplayer.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

first, what does Trine 2 play like? It looks like a fantasy type 2D side scrolling platformer. Is it fun? Is there a story? I don't really know anything about it.
If it's like the first game (I do have Trine 2 on Steam, but I haven't played it yet), it's a lot like the Lost Vikings games where you switch between your three characters and use their strengths and skills to progress through the game. The first game had a storyline, but it was pretty minimal and mostly played out in the tutorial IIRC, so I assume Trine 2 will mostly be the same in that regard.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does Little Inferno have a plot? Is there some kind of puzzle-solving element to it? Are you like, solving a mystery or something? Or are you just burning poo poo. It looks kinda neat but I'm not sold yet.

It's a sandbox puzzler. There are combos to unlock which get you money and stamps. (Stamps get items from the catalog shipped to you faster.) Mostly you do burn poo poo but yes, there is a plot. It's not a mystery.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Lobster posted:

It's a sandbox puzzler. There are combos to unlock which get you money and stamps. (Stamps get items from the catalog shipped to you faster.) Mostly you do burn poo poo but yes, there is a plot. It's not a mystery.

I'll probably check it out, it seems pretty cool and unique.

I got a $20 gift card to Amazon for Christmas from my aunt, and was very angry to find out I couldn't spend it on an eshop card :argh:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Original game boy link cable sounds pretty touchy as well, it apparently ran at an absurdly low bitrate and is probably extremely sensitive to timing. It'd likely be utter hell to emulate wirelessly.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
All I know is Ice Climber on 3DS has multiplayer in Japan. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/ice_climber_now_has_download_play_multiplayer_in_japan

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Dehry posted:

They would get roughly the same amount of money if they were to put Pokemon on the Virtual Console with or without a link cable.
Your poor Kadabra would never be able to fulfill its dream of one day becoming an Alakazam.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Console multiplayer (as in, emulating console games like the NES) are easier to emulate than Handheld because on console, both systems are running the same version of the game, just sending the inputs each player is doing back and forth to each other. For handhelds, each system is running their own copy of the game and trying to emulate what the link cable expects.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So I'm vacationing in the U.S. (from Japan) and picked up an XL with a handful of games. I was a little disappointed, but expecting, that my Japanese credit card was declined in the U.S. eShop. Is there any workaround to this? The part where I get rejected is the zip code of course. It's limited to 5 digits which of course doesn't jive with my 7 digit zip code. Any good reliable online shops that email codes? I can pick up a card or two right now but I'll inevitably run out before I come back around these parts.

Also, I've got 300 some eShop points and not sure what is a good reward. TwinBee?

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

petewhitley posted:

So I'm vacationing in the U.S. (from Japan) and picked up an XL with a handful of games. I was a little disappointed, but expecting, that my Japanese credit card was declined in the U.S. eShop. Is there any workaround to this? The part where I get rejected is the zip code of course. It's limited to 5 digits which of course doesn't jive with my 7 digit zip code. Any good reliable online shops that email codes? I can pick up a card or two right now but I'll inevitably run out before I come back around these parts.

Also, I've got 300 some eShop points and not sure what is a good reward. TwinBee?

It's not just the zip. The American Eshop blocks non-USA credit cards, and even if your zip would have been 5 digits the card would have rejected. It wasn't always the case, but it is now. Which is a bummer.

I use Maximus Cards for 3DS Eshop credit. They charge a premium (24 bucks for a 20 bucks code), but they deliver the code quickly, and i never had any problems with them (been using the site for 3DS and Xbox codes for a few years now, and all the codes worked straight away, not like other sites that tend to send used codes from time to time).

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

petewhitley posted:

TwinBee is an excellent game. The 3D depth is very solid and definitely adds to the title. Plus it makes a really cool noise when you click over it on the menu. :3:

Of course if you think you can rack up 600 more points in the next month and will still be here throughout January, the big thing is the gold Nunchuck. Even if you don't want it, they sell for $50-60 on eBay.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

petewhitley posted:

You're in a forum full of Americans who'd probably kill for a cheap supplier of Japanese e-shop*/PSN cards. Trade.

*I know the Japanese e-shop can be used with foreign credit cards.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll save that link for later. I've never even ventured into SA Mart but I'll drop in there too at some point to see if anyone is down for some code exchanges.

I did pick up Twinbee as a reward and you're right, the 3D effect is really well done. Are the other 3D classics similarly well made? I'll buy all of 'em just for novelty alone if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

petewhitley posted:

I did pick up Twinbee as a reward and you're right, the 3D effect is really well done. Are the other 3D classics similarly well made? I'll buy all of 'em just for novelty alone if that's the case.
The only one I've played is Xevious, which is a pretty good version that some people find to be easier than the non-3D versions since you can easily distinguish air targets from ground targets.

I've heard Excitebike is pretty good since the track editor actually works in that you can save your custom tracks (I dunno if you can share them online, which would be loving awesome IMO), but the 3D effect is purely cosmetic (although it does look pretty nice from the video in the eShop).

Kid Icarus is supposed to be okay as well since they brought back the save feature that was only on the Famicom Disk System version and took out the slowdown from too many sprites being on screen. Again, the 3D effect is cosmetic, but I dunno how I feel about the backgrounds since they look a little out of place with the original sprites.

Edit: I just watched the 3D Classics Kid Icarus video again... The dungeon backgrounds actually look much better than the outdoor backgrounds since they use the original sprites.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 1, 2013