Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
That scene!
One of the best scenes in the game.

Also hell yes, the other Dancouga shows up. :allears:

GilliamYaeger posted:

Why didn't these two get a combination attack with each other?

Not many things get cross-series combination attacks, sadly. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

StrifeHira posted:

That scene!
One of the best scenes in the game.

He will become a Gundam? I can say is..."TOH!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

:allears:

Why didn't these two get a combination attack with each other?

They don't get a combo attack but they do get something else:

The hidden friendship mechanic applies to them. This is literally the only cross-series friendship in the game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The hidden friendship mechanic applies to them. This is literally the only cross-series friendship in the game.

I forget, did Kamille and Shin have one in Z1?

I also lament the lack of 'on screen' cross series Gundamming. The only real cross-series combo attacks you ever see in Super Robot Wars are amongst the better known super robots, and even those are generally from the same creator like the classic Mazinger Brothers and Getter's Final Dynamic Sepecial or the numerous teamups from the Combattler/Voltes duo. It's a shame, because there's a handful of really decent cross-series friendships amongst the real robots - Z1 the aforementioned Shin and Kamille (and sort of the female protaganist), as well as a three way between the original Renton, Garrod, and Gainer.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh God Heero and Setsuna are the best. I vote that they always get deployed together whenever possible.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Now that I didn't know. Seconding them always being deployed together whenever possible.

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only real cross-series combo attacks you ever see in Super Robot Wars are amongst the better known super robots, and even those are generally from the same creator like the classic Mazinger Brothers and Getter's Final Dynamic Sepecial or the numerous teamups from the Combattler/Voltes duo.

It's especially noticeable and irritating sometimes, even when some should be obvious. They didn't even give a certain crossover attack until the sequel to this game! :sigh:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

I forget, did Kamille and Shin have one in Z1?

I'm not entirely sure that Relationship bonuses where in Z1, I don't think they were in Alpha 2 or 3 either.

StrifeHira posted:

It's especially noticeable and irritating sometimes, even when some should be obvious. They didn't even give a certain crossover attack until the sequel to this game! :sigh:

What's worse is that Banpresto has actually gotten less willing do to fun Combination attacks in recent years. Dreamcast version of SRW Alpha was loaded with fun combination attacks: Alpha DC included a Triple Megaparticle Cannon attack between the Zeta, ZZ, and Dendrobium Orchis, a Double VSBR between the Gundams F90 and F91, a Mazinger Z/Getter Robo combination attack, and of course the Akashic Breaker between the R-1 and the Cybuster.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuna and Heero make the best pair. :allears:

They did a pretty good job of blending Wing and 00. Of course, 00 was basically "Wing only less completely ridiculous" in the first place.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a shame, because there's a handful of really decent cross-series friendships amongst the real robots - Z1 the aforementioned Shin and Kamille (and sort of the female protaganist), as well as a three way between the original Renton, Garrod, and Gainer.

Another Century's Episode 3 at least had a combo attack for that last trio, along with a few other really inspired ones, like Amuro/Holland/Fokker and Anemone/Cynthia/Quess. Of course, combination attacks in that game usually just consist of all units attacking at once with special dialogue, but it's still a really a nice touch.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

Oh God Heero and Setsuna are the best. I vote that they always get deployed together whenever possible.

Now we just need Full Metal Panic in Z3, and then Heero, Setsuna, and Sousuke can be happy little triplets like Renton, Gainer, and Garrod.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Ryas posted:

Now we just need Full Metal Panic in Z3, and then Heero, Setsuna, and Sousuke can be happy little triplets like Renton, Gainer, and Garrod.

The ellipses would go on forever. And it would be marvelous. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Heero and Setsuna were one of the few things I knew about this game before this LP and they're still my favorite thing about it. And man I miss old Renton, that dialogue was awful.

As for unit recommendations, as long as people with lines get deployed I don't mind whatever, but I guess it would be nice to see characters that are usually split through different routes (See: Mazinger and Gundam) out together more, maybe they have interesting support lines for each other or something.

I also can't recall any instance of Dancougar ever doing still shots with a camera like that in the original story and OVAs nor the movie, was that a thing from blazing epilogue?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

The ellipses would go on forever. And it would be marvelous. :allears:

Only one thing that could make this better.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
They have so much in common. Seriously, what is it about getting assigned to unit 0 that takes away characters ability to talk.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

:allears:

Absolutely marvelous.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

StrifeHira posted:

This reminds me the new eva movies should be showing up in the next SRW right?

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

A few of the rebuild movies has already appeared in SRW L for the DS.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
But unfortunately they didn't include any of the parts that make the Rebuild movies fun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Well SRW L covered movies 1 and 2. And by covered I mean "You get the Evas, fight some angels, then Kaworu shows up and tells Seele to pack it in cause Third Impact won't be happening." That is literally how they end the Eva plotline, Kaworu comes in and explains that no more angels will be coming.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

But unfortunately they didn't include any of the parts that make the Rebuild movies fun.

Yeah no kidding. I can't wait until they start adding in the best new stuff from those movies. A new pilot, new unit, and at least 2 or three new attacks compared to the old series. Plus all the revamped Angels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBystander posted:

Yeah no kidding. I can't wait until they start adding in the best new stuff from those movies. A new pilot, new unit, and at least 2 or three new attacks compared to the old series. Plus all the revamped Angels.

Actually all of those do show in some form in L.

Rebuild 3.0 is going to be interesting considering how batshit it is.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Actually all of those do show in some form in L.

Rebuild 3.0 is going to be interesting considering how batshit it is.

Actually Mari wasn't in SRW L. The redesigned Evas were in, as were the new weapons and Angel Designs. The Evas are actually quite good in L, Eva-00 has a Shield, a repair unit, and an AT Field so it's an ideal squadmate, Eva-01 is an excellent ranged attack, and Eva-02 is a great melee fighter complete with the nifty new Harpoon Gun.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Actually Mari wasn't in SRW L. The redesigned Evas were in, as were the new weapons and Angel Designs. The Evas are actually quite good in L, Eva-00 has a Shield, a repair unit, and an AT Field so it's an ideal squadmate, Eva-01 is an excellent ranged attack, and Eva-02 is a great melee fighter complete with the nifty new Harpoon Gun.

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about Mari and her Eva from the beginning of 2.0 (which admittedly didn't last long, but that shouldn't stop it from being at least a secret unit). I heard Eva 02 doesn't have its crazy Beast Mode thing either, but I admittedly didn't play much of L.
[/list]

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

TheBystander posted:

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about Mari and her Eva from the beginning of 2.0 (which admittedly didn't last long, but that shouldn't stop it from being at least a secret unit). I heard Eva 02 doesn't have its crazy Beast Mode thing either, but I admittedly didn't play much of L.
[/list]

I didn't play it either, but from what I understand, they pretty much stopped right before the Rebuild movies start deviating from the TV show. So basically it just ended up like they used a prettier version of the show.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Mari is in L. But as a glorified cameo in only two scenes and not playable. Still, what is there is not too bad, it's just...SRW F Evangelion without Kaworu/EVA-03 appearing. And recycled music that's been used from previous EVA appearances (I do NOT like "Decisive Battle" personally nor am I a big fan of "Ambassador Rouge"). However, this is rectified by having Shinji be worked into other series' plots. For instance he's a classmate of Koucihi and L's protagonist, Ichitaka (I think he even calls them his senpai, but that might be my brain going off to places). Furthermore, he helps out in Godannar's finale as well as the rest of the Rebuild cast helping out the Linebarrels cast in various parts of the game. So yes, Rebuild in L is a unique experience, as it feels like what was done for SRW F while being integrated into other series' plots quite well.

Anyhew, the Heero/Setsuna bromance is just adorable. :allears: This is going to go places down the road, I can tell.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!

Ryas posted:

I so very much want this to happen because of this, and Sousuke could finally help Setsuna achieve his dream.

"I am....Gundam-kun."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheBystander posted:

[/list]

Mari's in it, but not for long. The plot ends directly at the point she skydives down onto Shinji.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Capskye posted:

I so very much want this to happen because of this, and Sousuke could finally help Setsuna achieve his dream.

"I am....Gundam-kun."

I imagine a chibi-gundam version of the Bonta-kun suit.

All it can say is Gundam.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
Sorry for this in advance.

I'm the kind of person who thinks Eureka 7 can't win in SRW games. Either you get TV Eureka where Eureka is good and Renton learns to be better but gets his teeth kicked in by Holland who acts like a giant man-child for most of the story for no reason and the Gekkostate decides to crap all over Renton the whole time. Or you get movie Eureka 7 in which Renton isn't a punching bag but you deal with MUKYU! MUKYU!, Eureka's terrible skills, all the Gekkostate being useless AGAIN, and a robot that gets worse as it gets stronger.

Oh well, it's better than Eureka 7 AO which while it's story might fix the Z series better, is full of annoying characters and a very subpar story.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SaitoBatch posted:

Sorry for this in advance.

I'm the kind of person who thinks Eureka 7 can't win in SRW games. Either you get TV Eureka where Eureka is good and Renton learns to be better but gets his teeth kicked in by Holland who acts like a giant man-child for most of the story for no reason and the Gekkostate decides to crap all over Renton the whole time. Or you get movie Eureka 7 in which Renton isn't a punching bag but you deal with MUKYU! MUKYU!, Eureka's terrible skills, all the Gekkostate being useless AGAIN, and a robot that gets worse as it gets stronger.

Oh well, it's better than Eureka 7 AO which while it's story might fix the Z series better, is full of annoying characters and a very subpar story.

Considering all the really weird stuff we learned about how the SRW universe works in 2nd OGs I think that Eureka 7 AO might end up a good choice in Z3. Especially if they go completely off the rails in terms of storyline which I'm so hoping they do.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Capskye posted:

"I am....Gundam-kun."

Dude's going to lose his mind in the newest one, which will have the 00 movie and SD Gundam.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Silentman0 posted:

Dude's going to lose his mind in the newest one, which will have the 00 movie and SD Gundam.

It's going to be one hell of a mindfuck for Setsuna, that's for sure. Same goes pretty much both Gundam series in UX, but mostly for Setsuna. The fanart from his interactions with SD Gundam will be glorious.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I've been putting off the intermission because I keep forgetting I don't have to do an entire chapter!

Let's start with an overview of what we have available as far as customization.

Robots posted:

• Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Scopedog RSC
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Deathscythe
  • Gundam Heavyarms
  • Gundam Sandrock
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • (S) Ptolemaios
  • Nova Eagle
  • Getter
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Burai (Zero)
  • Burai (Ohgi)
  • Burai (Tamaki)
  • Guren Type-02
  • Gurren-Lagann
  • VF-25F Messiah (Ozma)
  • VF-25G Messiah (Michel)
  • RVF-25 Messiah (Luca)
  • VF-25S Messiah (Alto)
  • VB-6 Koenig Monster
  • Quadluun-Rea
  • (S) Macross Quarter
  • Nirvash spec2
  • Terminus 303
  • (S) Gekko
  • Brasta

That's 35 units, fyi.

Next, a quick list of the available pilot skills.

Skills posted:

• Block - Enables shield and blade blocking
  • Prevail - Get stronger as you take damage (9 levels)
  • Offensive Support
  • Attack Again - Support yourself if you're 20 points of Skill over the enemy
  • Defensive Support
  • SP+ - 6 points per skill level
  • Counter
  • Will - +10 Will at deploy
  • Morale - +3 Will each turn
  • Will+ Evade
  • Will+ Hit
  • Will+ Damage
  • Will+ Destroy
  • EN Save
  • Ammo Save
  • Chain Attack - Support attacks always crit (but not double attacks)
  • Predict - Hit, evade bonuses at 130 Will
  • Break Will Limit
  • Ignore Size
  • Guard - Defense bonuses at 130 Will
  • Spirit Block - Immune to weakening, immobilize, Will drain and SP drain
  • Repair - 1.5x repair effectiveness
  • Supply - Can supply after moving
  • Chain Actions - Breaks the game
  • Dash - +1 movement, +2 at 130 Will
  • Hit & Away - Can move after attacking

And the mech parts we have:

Parts posted:

• 1x Vernier Unit - +1 movement
  • 1x Extra ISC - +1 movement, +10 mobility
  • 2x Muscle Cylinder - +10 mobility
  • 2x Precision Lens - +10 accuracy
  • 1x Long-Range Radar - +1 weapon range
  • 1x E-Carbon Armor - +500 HP, +100 armor
  • 1x EM Antenna - +10% EN regen per round
  • 1x Auto Repair Unit - +10% HP regen per round
  • 1x Hyper Jammer - 30% chance of Double Image at 130 Will
  • 1x Thruster Module - S in space
  • 1x Land Module - S on ground
  • 2x Screw Module - S in water
  • 2x A-Adapter - A in all terrains
  • 1x Propellant Tank - Restores all EN
  • 1x Cartridge - Restores all ammo
  • 2x Repair Kit - Restores all HP
  • 9x Ikue's Snacks - Restores 20 SP
  • 1x Pigmole Steak - Restores 40 SP
  • 2x Adrenaline Ampule - Deploys at +5 Will
  • 1x Sheryl CD - Restores 10 SP per round

So that's that. Again, I'm not asking for a complete detailed vote, but if someone wants to say something gameplay related, there's your reference. (For instance, now we all know that we have no Flight Modules and Command is not learnable in this game.)

Anyway, this is an intermission bit, but since we have way too many units, I'm going to drop updates on a few units each day (or faster or slower - probably faster) to keep things from getting chaotic instead of making one huge post and overwhelming people (including me). Let's begin with the oldies since they're at the top of the list. (Skills added to pilots, either earlier or just now or by path sync or whatever, are in italics).

Trider G7/Trider Cosmic (Watta Takeo)
Skills
CEO
Prevail L4+5
Will
EN Save
Spirits
Vigor
Gain
Invincible
Ace Bonus: Extra PP from the CEO skill is doubled.

I never know what to do with Watta. I use him, but I just give him EN Save and keep his super robot stats up. SP Up might be nice.

Shuttle (Umemaro Kakikouji, Tetsuo Otsui, Touhachiro Kinoshita, Ikue Sunabara)
Skills
Salaryman (all)
Offensive Support L2
Defensive Support L1
Supply
Spirits
(Kakekouji)
Vigor
Gain
(Otsui)
Trust
(Kinoshita)
Exhaust
Invincible
(Ikue)
Scan
Cheer
Traits
Supply
Ace Bonus: Gain the item "Ikue's Snacks" at the end of each mission.

Got nothing.

Gaia/Godmars (Takeru Myojin)
Skills
A-Class Psychic
Prevail L4
Spirit Block
EN Save
Spirits
Vigor
Sense
Drive
Traits
Six Gods Combination
Antiproton Bomb
Ace Bonus: The Psychic Skill is replaced by A-Class Psychic.

I didn't realize I'd been neglecting Takeru's growth so much. Prevail? More SP? Will so he gets into Godmars faster? Godmars seems to win everything no matter what I do. Takeru's Skill/Maneuverability stat is actually competetive, so he's close to being a candidate for Attack Again.

Cosmo Crusher (Kenji Asuka, Naoto Ijuin, Akira Kisou, Mika Hyuga)
Skills
Offensive Support L2
Counter L4
Will+ (Hit)
Spirits
(Kenji)
Focus
Guard
Guts
(Naoto)
Snipe
Strike
(Akira)
Vigor
Accel
Gain
(Mika)
Scan
Trust
Fortune
Traits
Jamming Unit
Ace Bonus: Accuracy +15%. Evasion +15%.

Blurgh sidekicks. I even forgot the Crusher has a jammer.

Scopedog Red Shoulder Custom (Chirico Cuvie)
Skills
???
Precise Attack
Prevail L9
Ammo Save
Attack Again
Spirits
Focus
Sense
Snipe
Ace Bonus: At 130+ Will, all weapons gain +300 attack.

Last up before we enter Gundamland tomorrow is Chirico, who has one skill slot left. Personally, I don't think he needs Ignore Size that badly, but it's not an awful idea. Pumping at least some PP into his already-high Skill is also awesome, not because he needs it to critical but because it goes so well with Attack Again, and many elite units and bosses (and every single loathsome Damon) has high Skill and graceful pilots who depend on Attack Again would do well to invest in it.

So that's today's spotlight pilots. Discuss.

Oh, and as far as picking units - I know who the main characters are in each chapter and I think I have a handle on who the thread likes, so no pressure. In fact, I know it's in vogue to ask every poster to fill all deploy slots every time there's a vote for SRW LPs, but screw that - just throw out whatever names you want to see fighting, if any, and I'll try to make sure those guys are in battle as much as possible and fill in the rest according to chapter considerations and such. Cool?

Next update: GUNDAM GUNDAM GUNDAM GUNDAM

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
On Takeru's skills: I usually give him Break Will Limit after EN Save since that extra 20 morale really does boost damage (after that, you could possibly give him Guard).
His A-Class Psychic gives him SP Regen so I don't think he needs SP Up.

As for Chirico, I also don't think he needs Ignore Size as his Assault Combat already has that property - Break Will Limit seems to fit that last slot better, too.

As for parts, I think you can just spread them around to cover deficiencies nicely (i.e. Chirico's movement); however, I believe the biggest thing to be said is that the Hyper Jammer should stay on Getter to boost his abysmal dodge rate.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Here's my personal problem with Trider (and other series that fall in this category): "He's Just There". Sure, the games try to justify his appearance, but in the end, it falls flat. I don't even think we've ever FACED Trider's main enemies in any SRW where Trider appears, so Watta literally has no reason to be in a SRW beyond his special skills (and to fuel later combination attacks, in this game at least). Furthermore, there are supers that can do Trider's job much more efficiently and can last until endgame as opposed to having to dump stuff into Watta to keep him viable. I'd say Permanently bench Watta unless you want to grind more out of his CEO skill, Caphi.

Speaking of permanent benchwarmers, Ditch the Cosmocrusher completely (as in, remove it from future voting). I literally used it in D (Godmars' last SRW appearance) for the few times it was forced deployed, and that was it. It just doesn't do much in the long run, nor does it do much in the short run either.

Regarding Takeru, I'd say give him the Guard skill, if only to help prevent the special game over tied to him. It was part of the reason I was scared to use him in D (and the armor coding bug didn't help either), so I'm looking forward to seeing him be useful.

Chirico. Okay, I know the guy can break the game over his knee with the right amount of work (Attack Again + Chain Actions + his "???" skill + Prevail Lv. 9 + Chirico in red HP = Everything Dies Horribly, The Game.), but let's be a little fair to the game. Give him the Dash skill to help get Chirico around his movement problems. Give him the Extra ISC part OR the Vernier Unit regardless of how the rest of thread voting occurs.

Lastly, give the EM Antenna to our biggest EN guzzler at the moment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I second benching Trider, as well as Eureka 7's units. Watta is just a generic optimistic super robot, and Eureka 7 is just "those units you already used through all of Z1, only lovely," so screw them. Everyone else I can basically get behind.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Only thing I particularly want to vote for is deploy the Kyrios as often as possible. I love that Gundam and its successors far more than is healthy.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Watta's sticking. I shouldn't have to even say that.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Thirding the vote to bench Trider. All he really adds is more PP, which just makes an already too easy game even easier. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more Virtue, though, as long as we're talking about deploying more Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Give everyone with a decent to high Skill Attack Again. Bench Trider because while amusing he doesn't have that much to bring commentary-wise, I want to see just how awful the E7 cast gets though.

• Locked thread