Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Is DMC4 still worth playing? Specifically the PC version? I am afraid that playing Bayonetta will have spoiled me on these games.

Yes it is and especially the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is DMC4 still worth playing? Specifically the PC version? I am afraid that playing Bayonetta will have spoiled me on these games.

People tend to consider Bayonetta a refinement of the DMC playstyle, but I think it's distinctive enough on its own that DMC4 still stands as the best action game characterized by a fighting-game-like system. Nero's story and the backtracking-heavy level design get tiring, but the enemy design is pretty good with only one enemy type being annoying to fight. The PC port is also stellar, and Legendary Dark Knight mode is an excellent place to use all those slow but massive AoE and damage moves that tend to get wasted in a game this fast.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Unlucky7 posted:

This video will explain why DMC4 on pc is mandatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqViM7aFL68

BTW if you are reading this AC: Finish off those Gold challenge modes and do the rest of the LP please.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Still making my way through DMC4 with Dante. The demon trap things in the second forest stage (after Echidna) made things pretty drat hectic. I'm guessing the developers wanted me to practice my dodging or something. I'm getting used to Dante ( fully upgraded sword style is awesome ) but the upgraded flying shadow monster is REALLY annoying! He needs like ten shotgun blasts before I can attack him! Anything I should know about the Gilgamesh weapon?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There's two quick ways to decloak Fausts (the giant gunslinger shadow monster.) One of them is using the gunslinger style shotgun attack (the multi hit nunchucks move) INSIDE the Faust. If you do it right it should only take one or two tries (works on the Mephisto, the little one, as well.) You can continue doing the attack in the air so just spam it inside the Faust while it's not attacking.
The other quick method is a special move for a weapon you haven't unlocked yet. The Pandora attack where Dante opens the suitcase will instantly decloak Fausts, Mephistos, and Blitzes, even if the disaster gauge is empty. The risk, of course, is the extend animation which can't be canceled.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

notZaar posted:

There's two quick ways to decloak Fausts (the giant gunslinger shadow monster.) One of them is using the gunslinger style shotgun attack (the multi hit nunchucks move) INSIDE the Faust. If you do it right it should only take one or two tries (works on the Mephisto, the little one, as well.) You can continue doing the attack in the air so just spam it inside the Faust while it's not attacking.
The other quick method is a special move for a weapon you haven't unlocked yet. The Pandora attack where Dante opens the suitcase will instantly decloak Fausts, Mephistos, and Blitzes, even if the disaster gauge is empty. The risk, of course, is the extend animation which can't be canceled.

Never thought of using it INSIDE the monster! I'll give it a go!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Renoistic posted:

Still making my way through DMC4 with Dante. The demon trap things in the second forest stage (after Echidna) made things pretty drat hectic. I'm guessing the developers wanted me to practice my dodging or something. I'm getting used to Dante ( fully upgraded sword style is awesome ) but the upgraded flying shadow monster is REALLY annoying! He needs like ten shotgun blasts before I can attack him! Anything I should know about the Gilgamesh weapon?

The shoryuken is really, REALLY powerful if you can charge it up to full. I think you're pretty much invincible while you're in the attack animation. If you can time it together with DT distortion, you can take out half of a boss' health bar with just one attack.

As usual, you should charge it up and release it when an enemy is charging at you.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You can also Just Charge it (activating the very instant you charge up a rank), and if you do it right there will be a extra FX and you will deal more damage. The timing is severely strict though, I think it may be frame perfect. I have rarely ever been able to JC any of Gilgamesh's moves.
If you got the time to practice you can unleash a Just Charge Distorted Rising Dragon for massive damage. Easier to just use Real Impact though :shobon:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Capcom unity announced this thing today:

DmC hands-on event at the Capcom office, January 9th posted:

Live in or visiting the SF Bay area? Wednesday, January 9th at 6PM-9PM PST, we'll be holding an exclusive hands-on session for DmC Devil May Cry. Come hang out in the Capcom office lobby with Capcom staff and get exclusive hands-on time with areas not previously demoed to the public.

Additionally, there will be amazing prize giveaways, pizza (note: please bring clothes anyway), and some excellent photo ops.

Remember that since the game is rated M, you've got to be 17 or older to attend on your own--otherwise you have to bring a parent or guardian. Since we have limited space in the office lobby, please RSVP by commenting here or sending me a private message. If you are bringing another person or people, please let us know that as well. If we run out of room, we'll have to turn people away, so please, please take a moment to do this =)

Hope to see you at the office! Address:

CAPCOM
800 Concar Drive
Suite #300
San Mateo, CA 94402

It's also a short walk from the Hayward Park Caltrain stop.

...Nice of them, I guess? v:confused:v

And in other news, the first reviews for the full game have started to appear.

Someone summerised Swedish magazine Level81's review:

quote:

Translator dude:"I couldn't find a single negative thing that he said about the game in this review. Here's a summary (note that I'm translating this so the English might be off)":

- Lots of fun variation in the level design. Dante swings between platforms, avoids incoming trains and explores vertical sewers

- The multiple stage transformations throughout the game is well integrated in the story that is being told

- Ninja Theory is taking a more serious approach than Capcom in the story-department

- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better

- DMC-veterans will feel "home"

- Basically all the changes has been for the better good; combining Devil May Cry's deep, sophisticated action with the modern action-adventure stage-design

9/10

The translator dude also apprently cringed when reading the "review".
source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500055&page=77

[e2]: Another source: http://www.gamechup.com/first-dmc-devil-may-cry-review-score-revealed/

One of the tweets from someone at Ninja Thery shows the UK OXM review gives it a 9/10..

Either they have really really low standards for reviewing, or are Capcom shills, or they've accidently played MGR:Revengeance instead. Hell, being honest, I'd probably rate it a 5.

Videogame journalism folks! :regd09:

[e]: Yeah, fair enough. Still, 9? Bear in mind, we've already seen over 1/2 the game, and in a later build than the demo. But yeah, too soon. May as well wait for the thing to go public, and let it sink or swim.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2012

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wait until it comes out at least before you start all that.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I think I'll wait on further reviews before getting indignant about the dissonance between the quality of a game I haven't played and the people being paid off to review the game. Getting feedback from goons and other customers will be interesting, though the pre-release shitshow doesn't have me confident.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's discuss Gaming Journalism and sometimes whine about DmC.

notZaar posted:

You can also Just Charge it (activating the very instant you charge up a rank), and if you do it right there will be a extra FX and you will deal more damage. The timing is severely strict though, I think it may be frame perfect. I have rarely ever been able to JC any of Gilgamesh's moves.
If you got the time to practice you can unleash a Just Charge Distorted Rising Dragon for massive damage. Easier to just use Real Impact though

Is the Distorted part activating DT during the animation? I remember seeing videos of people using Gilgamesh and a frame perfect DT to deal absolutely bonkers damage. I thought it was just a bug though, like the kilgore glitch in Bayonetta.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not surprised at the reviews, DmC is simplistic and easy to get into, the perfect game for reviewers since none of them ever put any time into what they play. And most of them contradict themselves.

quote:

the game plays and feels exactly like the previous DMC games
the controls are intuitive enough for someone like me who's never played a game like this before

Same review.

quote:

"- Ninja Theory is taking a more serious approach than Capcom in the story-department"

Anonymous is legion, faux news, gubment is evil gently caress YOU is the pinnacle of story telling apparently.

Honestly after the Dragon Age 2 fiasco, I can't take any reviewer seriously.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

User0015 posted:

Is the Distorted part activating DT during the animation? I remember seeing videos of people using Gilgamesh and a frame perfect DT to deal absolutely bonkers damage. I thought it was just a bug though, like the kilgore glitch in Bayonetta.

Yeah, and I think it's a bug (at least I don't think anyone has ever said anything to the contrary). But it's a very useful bug if you can pull it off. And Bayo's Kilgore glitch works with the Onyx Roses as well if you fancy a large spray of shotgun fire.

[e]: Didn't know that. That's pretty cool of them.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 31, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, and I think it's a bug (at least I don't think anyone has ever said anything to the contrary). But it's a very useful bug if you can pull it off. And Bayo's Kilgore glitch works with the Onyx Roses as well if you fancy a large spray of shotgun fire.

If it's a bug it's one of those cases where it isn't removed even when other bugs are. (Such as in the DMC4 PC port.) That doesn't mean it is intentional tho'.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
It's funny that in a game with as open mechanics as Bayonetta that only the kilgore glitch is really super broken.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How does getting proud souls in DMC4 work? Do you get them from getting better stylish ranks during fights? And what is this penalty called "Enemy Handicap"?

The only thing that really annoys me, compared to Bayonetta, is the lack of a proper dodge.

...Man, I really like DMC4 so far, but I need to replay Bayonetta one of these days.

Stygi
Oct 12, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

How does getting proud souls in DMC4 work? Do you get them from getting better stylish ranks during fights? And what is this penalty called "Enemy Handicap"?
Proud Souls seem to depend on one's overall performance, including damage taken. Enemy Handicap occurs when you die a lot and use continues, causing the game to gimp the enemies out of pity.

Stygi fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 31, 2012

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

- Ninja Theory is taking a more serious approach than Capcom in the story-department

- The controls in DmC isn't as good as in the previous DMC-games - it's much better

Seriously? This is just getting sad.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Unlucky7 posted:

Whaaaaat?! Of course it is! The only DMC that might be questionable is 1, and that only because the gameplay is a bit dated compared to the rest. It's still pretty solid in it's own right.

(DMC2 doesn't count because gently caress DMC2)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Proud Souls are a percentage of your end of level score. You can get more Proud Souls by replaying levels and getting a higher score, but you will only get them as a percentage of your score minus the previous record (what I'm trying to say is that there's a cap on how many Proud Souls you can obtain so that you can't grind out every move in the first level.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddamn, Vergil is a monster in DMC3 and Lunar Phase + Spiral Swords loops deal an insane amount of damage if you can pin the enemy down. Ironically, I usually have problems getting S-ranks in Style compared to Dante since everything melts too fast to his balls-out aggressive combat style.

Vergil however doesn't have Air Hike; the nearest thing he has is Trick Up, which teleports you above and a bit forward to your position. Unfortunately, you have to use lock-on for this, and in some sections having distant but lockable enemies is a real pain in the rear end since you'll end up going in their direction whether you like it or not. Also, I've had plenty of times where I tried using Trick Up but it registered as plain old Air Trick thanks to the camera loving with my PoV, landing me right into Geryon's carriage instead of above it and getting run over.

Do the dodge buttons in DmC correspond to Dante's orientation: as in, left shoulder dodges left and right dodges right? I can see dodging like that being a real mess if your only frame of reference is a shifty auto-lock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Do the dodge buttons in DmC correspond to Dante's orientation: as in, left shoulder dodges left and right dodges right? I can see dodging like that being a real mess if your only frame of reference is a shifty auto-lock.

No, there's only one dodge button just bound to two keys.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Stygi posted:

Proud Souls seem to depend on one's overall performance, including damage taken. Enemy Handicap occurs when you die a lot and use continues, causing the game to make the enemies weaker out of pity.

I tried a while ago, and it seems you don't even need to die. If you stand still for a while, enemies will stop attacking so much.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

No, there's only one dodge button just bound to two keys.

To be fair, there is some difference. The different dodges have separate animations and each one gives you a different bonus upon a successful dodge, though the exact nature of these bonuses escapes me at the moment.

By the way, it doesn't seem like I'm going to have the time to maintain the DmC thread OP during the first few hectic days after release (plus I'm not planning on buying it right away,) so if anybody is willing to volunteer and make a dedicated DmC thread I'll throw the link to it in the OP of this thread when it's up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

To be fair, there is some difference. The different dodges have separate animations and each one gives you a different bonus upon a successful dodge, though the exact nature of these bonuses escapes me at the moment.

There's technically three dodges, including the "human" dodge.

Angel dodge basically makes you dodge slightly further away (like a less useful trickster), "Human" dodge is just a simple dodge roll, and Demon dodge boosts your attack damage.

What that means is, that the regular dodge is rather redundant, as is the angel one, because there doesn't seem to be a reason (as of yet) to roll slightly further away from an attack, when you can just get a boost and smash into the enemy.

notZaar posted:

By the way, it doesn't seem like I'm going to have the time to maintain the DmC thread OP during the first few hectic days after release (plus I'm not planning on buying it right away,) so if anybody is willing to volunteer and make a dedicated DmC thread I'll throw the link to it in the OP of this thread when it's up.

And if anyone wants a quick link to pictures, profiles, a few trailers, and DLC listings for that thread, here's a post for that might help.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

notZaar posted:

Wait, so that's "Left dodge" and "Right dodge" buttons? I don't think I've noticed that playing the demo.
EDIT:

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's technically three dodges, including the "human" dodge.

Angel dodge basically makes you dodge slightly further away (like a less useful trickster), "Human" dodge is just a simple dodge roll, and Demon dodge boosts your attack damage.

Holding different weapons make your dodge a bit different, and Demon dodging boosts damage of an already powerful axe? Hmm, I wonder if that's balanced :v:

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 31, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Szurumbur posted:

Holding different weapons make your dodge a bit different, and Demon dodging boosts damage of an already powerful axe? Hmm, I wonder if that's balanced :v:

That's part of the problem, with at least the demo version. Demon dodge, human stance, trinity smash (with the last attack being in demon stance), BAM! Ranking goes from nothing to as high as an A or even (in certain circumstances) a SSS.

Seen here. :catstare:

Here's the default controls:

See the two evades on the bumpers? Exactly like Imp Atom said it's one function, tied to two buttons. It doesn't matter which is clicked, (you could be in demon stance and hit the left bumper, and you'll just demon dodge - it's the stance that determines what dodge you do), but you can reassign the controls to something more sensible (like only having one dodge) - I like the Bayonetta style myself (dodge on right trigger).

It's just a waste of a button.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 31, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's just a waste of a button.

It also should have been a warning that DT would be so hosed that it's triggered in such an awkward manner. Rather than a shoulder button that you can click on and off as needed it's instead this giant 15 second god mode. :sigh:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The pointless assigning of two buttons to the same move can be traced back to the lack of a manual lock-on, which is just such a dumb move on NT's part that adds nothing. It's not like Bayonetta didn't already figure this out and even showed how to solve the problem of dodging while using only one trigger (lock-on & jump, exactly like how it was in the other old series of games... you know, the ones called Devil May Cry.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you thought Mission 15 in DMC3 is the perfect example of terrible level design, you should try it with Vergil. No air dash and no real double jump make the mission oddly cathartic as you watch stoic badass Vergil get knocked around by environmental hazards like a pinball.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Anybody willing to do metacritic wagers?

I'm guessing at an 89.

Also they seem to have stolen Bayonetta's practice mode, albeit not the glorious loading screen placement.

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 1, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'm guessing at an 89.

Also they seem to have stolen Bayonetta's practice mode, albeit not the glorious loading screen placement.

What, like a :toxx:?

Seriously though, I got no idea how the reviews are going to come out. The amount of "I haven't played DMC before/only the first game but it's totally as good as them you guys!!!" is terrible, but who knows if this game might spark the whole gamer-entitlement issue again since it looks like Capcom and its shills think that most of the vitriol for this game is because fans can't get over the white hair.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'm guessing at an 89.

I'll stake you at 92. Wanna put some wagers down? I seriously expect this to be one of the best reviewed titles this year from all major outlets. DmC is going to sit right next to Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect like it's no big deal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some scans of that comic thing.

Alternate cover:

(I've just noticed that Vergil is in exactly the same pose as Dante on the game box art)

gently caress YOU :barf:

"But you can call me, Dante the prison bitch."

Kat, looking like the woman from the PS2 ads.

Vergil's bad touch.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

French isn't my first language (or my second) and the text is blurry as hell, but from what I can make out, it looks like a loving Slurm convention. In the goddamn Louvre (I think. It looks like it though)? The people are handing out the new drink called Virility and the guy on stage is going on about how great it is. Can't make out the third panel, but the fourth is Kat saying "Fine. I understand".

quote:

1. TextBox: Basement of the Virility Factory
NotDante: Wake Up, it's your lucky day, my lovely.

2. ---

3. SlurmQueen: Why the hell are you bothering me human? (lit: How dare you annoy me?)

4. SlurmQueen: Wait...you're the son of Sparda? (rest is indistinguishable, "Bastard of a traitor"?)

5. NotDante: My name is Dante.
NotDante: And you're the first on my list to be eliminated!

I will say this, it's certainly more mature than the game. Much less "gently caress YOU!gently caress YOU!gently caress YOU!"
I can do all of them if you guys want.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 1, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some scans of that comic thing.
Vergil's bad touch.

:stare: What the gently caress is wrong with Vergil?

The art is kind of nice at least.

EDIT vvvv

Wait, that means that the giant thing is Sparda or is just his dialogue?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: His dialogue. It confused me first of all.

SSNeoman posted:

French isn't my first language (or my second) and the text is blurry as hell, but from what I can make out, it looks like a loving Slurm convention. In the goddamn Louvre (I think. It looks like it though)? The people are handing out the new drink called Virility and the guy on stage is going on about how great it is. Can't make out the third panel, but the fourth is Kat saying "Fine. I understand".

That's pretty much the gist of it.

The Slurm guys are "Free Slurm!"
It's hard to make out but the third panel is Kat muttering something about making money off the samples, and I can't read what the other guy says.

The prison one, is Sparda talking to Dante about Rebellion (via flashback?), but it's blurry as poo poo.

Vergil's is telling Kat to "Wake up".

SSNeoman posted:

I can do all of them if you guys want.

Knock yourself out. I can barely make out the drat things.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 1, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's get the easy stuff done first:

quote:

DmC: Devil May Cry: The Chronicles of Vergil

(Why did they leave it as Devil May Cry? Actually I guess it sounds cooler. Diable Peux Pleurer, doesn't quite have the same kick)

quote:

-Hellfire Prison-
-World of (something)-
-1 AM earlier-

quote:

1. Demon: "Where are you going human? (He doesn't even know why we want his head)"
Demon: ("You have something that belongs to us")

NotDante: "I'll kill you all!" ? (Je vais tous vous [buter?]) (I'll [bump?] you all)

2. ---

3. Demon: "Who's going to help you, Dante? Your parents abandoned you. (You should watch what you say)"
NotDante: "(Who do you think you're talking to?)"
TextBoxSparda: "Rebellion, my sword, is yours..."

4. TextBoxSparda: "It is a part of ([indistinguishable])"

5. TextBoxSparda: "When (you are struggling I will lend you some of my demonic power!)"
TextBoxSparda: "It is your true nature..."
TextBoxSparda: "...My son!"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SSNeoman posted:

Why did they leave it as Devil May Cry? Actually I guess it sounds cooler. Diable Peux Pleurer, doesn't quite have the same kick

It's always been called Devil May Cry in France. Marketing probably.

Before Dante says poo poo, while the demon strangles him, it looks like, "Who's speaking to me?" (qui me parle?).

[e]: Someone says they've found better pictures or something. I'll post them when they're posted.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 1, 2013

• Locked thread