Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's always been called Devil May Cry in France. Marketing probably.

Before Dante says poo poo, while the demon strangles him, it looks like, "Who's speaking to me?" (qui me parle?).

I wanted to write "Who do you think you're talking to, you poo poo?" But my hands wouldn't type out the letters.

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Someone says they've found better pictures or something. I'll post them when they're posted.

Oh well :v:

It was fun to try anyway.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SSNeoman posted:

Oh well :v:

It was fun to try anyway.

Least we won't have to translate through eye-strain-o-vision. :)
While trying to find some of those scans, I came across the price for it - €13,90 (roughly $18). And it's only 48 pages long.

Looks pretty okay art though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The fucker didn't upload the raw images - so it's not my translation:
They've also added their own commentary in parts, I notice.

Also someone did a comparison shot of the various stages of DmC's dev.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Hah, he got a little older every time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Goddamn. I could poo poo a better translation than that.

I also note that Vergil is holding the Yamato the wrong way, unless he likes slicing things with the back part of the sword.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

SSNeoman posted:

Goddamn. I could poo poo a better translation than that.

I know right? It's not even keeping in spirit of DMC!

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

randombattle posted:

gently caress, that last bit nearly killed me. "I'm a demon and an angel and a human!" just REEKS of so many 'fan characters' from practically every series to date.

I swear, part of me hates Ninja Theory just because of the Angel/Demon hybrid bit alone, because it's so loving overdone.

That, and it spits in the face of the whole "Not all humans are better then demons, not all demons are heartless" bit that DMC3 established and 4 ran with.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

randombattle posted:

Not enough "gently caress YOUs" :colbert:
I love it
---
Coupla reviews up:

Insight Factor - Score: 7.5
(Click on the Union flag at the top to get a translation up.)

Conclusion posted:

Ultimately, though imperfect in several respects and a little 'more accessible than its predecessors, DmC Devil May Cry is, therefore, show a valid reboot . The review fiction and art will probably turn up their noses at several stalwarts of the brand, it is useless to deny it, but the fact remains that the title is still far from being a total failure. Of course you can not help but notice a slight loss of depth and a more moderate difficulty than the previous chapters of the brand, but the fact remains that the overall experience is in any case altogether pleasant and fun. Just a shame for a plot far from exciting and a technical sector not really rise to the occasion ... in that case, perhaps, the vote would have been higher by at least a point.
--

Gamesmaster gave it 89/100. I don't have the whole review at hand, but some select quotes are:

quote:

"bold, brutal and utterly brilliant re-imagining of the series that practically defined the hack-'n'-slash genre."

"Nowadays we like our action men grounded and dirty, our worlds raw, bleak and violent, and Ninja Theory have drenched DmC in this ultra-current vision to dazzling effect"

"Each demon is a brilliantly designed mash of gnarled limbs and grotesque features that not only look fantastic, but have been expertly moulded to fit DmC's urban aesthetic"

"Combat, which has barely changed since 2001, is still focused on nailing increasingly ludicrous combos, juggling enemies through a mixture of sword and gunplay, and figuring out what demons need smacking with what weapon"

The one complaint being:

quote:

"DmC falls flat when it comes to boss battles that are at total odds with the forward thinking design of the rest of the game.

"You know the sort - learn this attack pattern! Dodge this area attack! - you've fought them all a hundred times before in a hundred different hack'n'slash titles, and, sadly, there's nothing here that's nearly as memorable as duking it out with Phantom and Vergil from the 2001 original."

[e]: Someone uploaded the specifics:

quote:

The most notable things about the review were:
-If you complete the main story, you unlock 'silver hair' dante costume as a reward.
-the old pictures that were used over a year ago to promote the game.
-they prefer the original Devil May Cry (as in the first game)
-they mention his hair a few times
-"the excellent storyline fades towards the end when it should be ramping upfor a great cinematic finale"
- narratives and level designs are imaginitive and bold with capture and voice acting that trounces past games

Graphics: 94%
Gameplay: 85%
Accessibility: 63%
Lifespan: 87%
Innovation: 84%

Judgement: 89%

For those predicting the review scores last page, the current tally (out of 10) is:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 3, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I decided to take a break from DMC4 and play the DMC demo, and after beating it an DMD difficulty I must say it's not so bad as I first thought, but actually pretty fun. It does some things right, some wrong, but overall I enjoyed it, even if it's not a 10/10 game.
I won't comment on story and dialog since both have been severely lacking in all every DMC game so I don't really care anyway.

I enjoyed:
- Dedicated dodge button
- Air dodge
- Being able to pull yourself and/or enemies closer reminds me of the snatch technique from DMC4, which is a good thing.
Just make sure to remap the buttons so that it feels comfortable to switch between angel/demon techniques!
- The highest difficulty level has different enemies than the others, just the way it should be.
- Air juggling is simplified and pretty drat fun to use.
- Platforming feels less frustrating, at least in the demo, mostly thanks to the angel jump boost.

What I disliked
- No lock-on. I didn't mind this most of the time, but sometimes it got annoying when I wanted to target the small angels but instead pulled a fire demon towards me.
- The demo ran like poo poo. Felt like less than 30fps most of the time
- The enemy models are pretty ugly and are not very detailed at all. The whole game feels pretty low-res and ugly which is a surprise considering the studio.
- Most of the attacks lack a certain "ooomph". They try to move the camera around to make them seem powerful, like when you use the powered up sword attack, but the sound effects are a bit lackluster anyway.
- Surprisingly easy. It's OK to me, but I can imagine old DMC fans being very disappointed.

I won't buy the game on launch, especially since Metal Gear Rising takes priority, but I'll probably pick it up when it's half price or so.

EDIT: Just got to the final boss of DMC4 and I have to admit the Angus/Dante had me laughing hard. More games should skip any pretense and just go fully theatrical.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Each demon is a brilliantly designed mash of gnarled limbs and grotesque features that not only look fantastic, but have been expertly moulded to fit DmC's urban aesthetic"

It seems like all monsters these days have a Nightmare Before Christmas Tim Burtony look to then. I suppose the generation that loved that look has grown up but to me its really coming across as lame and uninspired, especially compared to the enemies in the old DMCs and Bayonetta.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
A large portion of the game seems sort of...out of place. The enemies, as has been pointed out, look like they came out of Alice: Madness Returns, the levels all look kind of grimy and forgettable urban environments (the caveat here is that they do some neat stuff with them by flipping the levels, having the levels deform around you, etc.), and the characters are just kind of bland with the occasional wink to the player (Dante and Vergil's jacket linings being red and blue, for example).

Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm finding Dante to be more and more like Nero; a total prat who is so utterly convinced of his own awesomeness. The problem is that a) he's just a cocky dick without as many moments of slickness, and b) he doesn't have a more mature Dante to act as a foil and make him realize he's being dumb.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Beat DMC4. The last stage was complete garbage - what do I get for defeating the most boring boss of the game (that statue)? Another horrible table game and a boss rush on top of that? Thanks for making me beat the bosses for a third time, Capcom! The last boss was an utter bastard as well - what the hell are you supposed to do when he grows tentacles and charges you with a giant sword? Thankfully I managed to beat him (handicapped) by timing it so that I could defeat him without his final phase triggering at all! The gameplay part at the credits was kind of neat at least, but other than that this game ended with a pathetic whimper, not a bang. The fighting is really good but that's it, the rest of the game is a bore with some baffling design decisions. Bayonetta sits comfortably at the throne of the genre to me, warts and all, because I have beaten it seven times without getting bored of it. DMC4 on the other hand, was a giant chore at times and completely petered out at the end. Watching Dante's antics was the only tangible reason to bother finishing it. That, and I wanted to try out the PC exclusive mode, the one with the huge amount of enemies.

VVV Thanks!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
When he charges up for the final time during his dashes, buster him midcharge. Get a special finisher by doing that too if the damage is enough to kill him.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Buster countering that attack was my first instinct, it's so badass. It actually is fairly lenient in terms of buster-counters (I think nearly all the bosses have them, but the timing is rather strict for the most part.)

Best part? If you finish him off with it you get the anime style "3 angle shot" and Nero shouts "JACKPOT!".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Beat DMC4. The last stage was complete garbage - what do I get for defeating the most boring boss of the game (that statue)? Another horrible table game and a boss rush on top of that?

The Savior is really stupidly easy and short if you know the trick to it. What you need to do to cheese it hilariously is use Drive and the two followup shockwaves once or twice, and it'll pretty much just collapse immediately for an easy beatdown. As for the dice game, just use the Buster on it when the number you want to land on is on the top of the die and you'll slide through that with no trouble. (And grind out green orbs if you're low on health.)

I don't mind the boss rush, really, because it's fun to ruin bosses that you had trouble with your first time around. Especially on Normal, where Charge Shot 3 is an almighty thing.

Edit: Actually, in typing this out, it does make me realize how hilariously easy DMC4 was to break. Drive is ungodly powerful, as is Charge Shot 3, and getting the timing down on MAX-Act (or even just mashing it wildly like I do) made a lot of encounters pretty easy too. Not to mention DT busters wrecking bosses pretty well.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 3, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I was thinking of picking up DMC3, but I've heard bad things about the PC port. It seems to work for some people, though, so maybe the Steam version works better?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Supposedly it was made by the same Ubisoft studio who worked on the RE4 PC port and as a result it looks and runs worse than the PS2 version.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
DMC3 is trying its hardest to make me like DMC4 more. Mission 15 and Mission 16 are the most incredibly unfun things ever in any difficulty above Hard. It's like a developer sat down and said "Let's make long, slogging stages and populate them with nothing but the least fun enemies ever."

Seriously, for all of DMC4's faults, nothing in that game is as much of a miserable experience to fight against as Bloodgoyles, Enigmas, and Fallen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

I was thinking of picking up DMC3, but I've heard bad things about the PC port. It seems to work for some people, though, so maybe the Steam version works better?

Top of my head: controller support is incomplete and you'll have to run a 360 controller through Xpadder or something to get the triggers working because they're analog. The game will run like poo poo in most areas thanks to shoddy coding in music transitions, but you can alleviate the problem through this: http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/#new. You'll lose some music (mostly the battle tracks, no more fridges in your eye) but most of the important fights such as boss battles keep theirs. Unfortunately, some areas just plain won't run perfectly, like the tram rides.

It's a serviceable port, but yeah, it's pretty bad. At least it's playable with a controller, unlike RE4's port and KB&M.

Chickenfrogman posted:

DMC3 is trying its hardest to make me like DMC4 more. Mission 15 and Mission 16 are the most incredibly unfun things ever in any difficulty above Hard. It's like a developer sat down and said "Let's make long, slogging stages and populate them with nothing but the least fun enemies ever."

Seriously, for all of DMC4's faults, nothing in that game is as much of a miserable experience to fight against as Bloodgoyles, Enigmas, and Fallen.

I know, right!? Holy poo poo, at least Chimera Hybrids are the only outright "annoying fuckface" enemies in DMC4 and platforming is more tedious than actually hazardous.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 4, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just got past Mission 16 of DMC3 and I have to agree, those past two missions were loving stupid in the dumb puzzle additions that made the game more annoying than anything else, especially since they're filled with Spiders, Bloodgoyles, Enigmas, Fallen, and Dullahan, every bad enemy type in the game. Hell, even Lady at the end of 16's not too enjoyable of a boss fight.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I gave up on officially beating 4 when the last last boss was a vague quick-time event that could kill you in three hits when you had no room to dodge.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

Think about this: DMC3 runs better when emulated with PCSX2 than the port Ubisoft put out. It's that bad.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I gave up on officially beating 4 when the last last boss was a vague quick-time event that could kill you in three hits when you had no room to dodge.

You mean the fake Savior? You don't even need to dodge. Just buster his right fist and the grab his left one in mid-air. The timing is very forgiving.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I just got past Mission 16 of DMC3 and I have to agree, those past two missions were loving stupid in the dumb puzzle additions that made the game more annoying than anything else, especially since they're filled with Spiders, Bloodgoyles, Enigmas, Fallen, and Dullahan, every bad enemy type in the game. Hell, even Lady at the end of 16's not too enjoyable of a boss fight.

I will posit that the Arkham bossfight is worse than both of those missions, that poo poo is DMC2 bad.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I will posit that the Arkham bossfight is worse than both of those missions, that poo poo is DMC2 bad.

The only redeeming things about the Arkham boss fight, are the music and the cutscenes. Why they thought fighting a giant, unreadable blob was fun, instead of Arkham as Sparda, I dunno.

[e]: Some extended DmC cutscenes:
:nws:DmC Intro:nws: - For implied blowjobs and rubbing of polygon tits.
Dante meets Vergil.

Goddamn that dialogue and acting. It's so stiff and awkward. Oh, and Alex Garland is helping them with the story.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 4, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

toasterwarrior posted:

Top of my head: controller support is incomplete and you'll have to run a 360 controller through Xpadder or something to get the triggers working because they're analog. The game will run like poo poo in most areas thanks to shoddy coding in music transitions, but you can alleviate the problem through this: http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/#new. You'll lose some music (mostly the battle tracks, no more fridges in your eye) but most of the important fights such as boss battles keep theirs. Unfortunately, some areas just plain won't run perfectly, like the tram rides.

It's a serviceable port, but yeah, it's pretty bad. At least it's playable with a controller, unlike RE4's port and KB&M.

Thanks! I got it anyway (really cheap, OK?), and got the game working perfectly with a controller, but that slowdown in mission 2 when you meet the mini boss was horrendous.

EDIT: DMC4 related question - what is you guys' 360 gamepad configuration in DMC4? I tried putting the gun on a trigger, but I ended up using the triggers for lock-on and revving.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 4, 2013

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Pesky Splinter posted:

The only redeeming things about the Arkham boss fight, are the music and the cutscenes. Why they thought fighting a giant, unreadable blob was fun, instead of Arkham as Sparda, I dunno.

[e]: Some extended DmC cutscenes:
:nws:DmC Intro:nws: - For implied blowjobs and rubbing of polygon tits.
Dante meets Vergil.

Goddamn that dialogue and acting. It's so stiff and awkward. Oh, and Alex Garland is helping them with the story.

First link is broken, second video is just as bad as the other cutscene in which Vergil fills Dante in on their past. It's just a whole lot of standing around and yapping. It's like the second Star Wars trilogy, just a bunch of statues blathering on in monotone at each other; the actors reading the script as if they're thinking "Who wrote this garbage?" This is the great story that Ninja Theory wants to tell and will apparently put games above literature and film? Doesn't matter if the method of delivery is so lifeless that it drat near puts its audience to sleep.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
They've actually made the intro private, they removed it from a Youtube vid also. Weird.

The gist of it was Lilith and Mundus standing in their office, with Mundus on the phone threatening "If you don't [whatever it was - probably pay him or something] I'll put the blame on you for the recession. Thank you Mister President."

Lilith and Mundus then talk about how he's going to control the world through debt, and then Lilith says something along the lines of, "Now you're making the world your bitch, how about screwing this bitch (about herself)". Mundus then stares off into the distance, muttering about the loose end that is Dante.

Dante meanwhile is in a club with stripper angels gyrating on a pole, with the smuggest loving smile on his face, before heading off in a taxi with two of them, who are implied to blow him in the car, and then they go to his trailer and we've seen the rest.

I'll give them this, Lilith's delivery is hilariously...good? Bad? She's about the only one emoting at least.

[e]: Someone else has uploaded it. :nws:Gonna control the world through debt and implied blowjobs:nws:

It's been removed, again. Taken down by Capcom. Way to go Capcom, it's not like we haven't already seen 70% of your loving game anyway. :rolleyes:

[e2]: From what's been seen, it's not gonna be MGS gameplay-cutscene ratio, but it's still pretty cutscene heavy. I'll disagree that it's a notch above most average hack-and-slash ones, it seems to be pretty on par with them.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 4, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever, I just hope there's enough actual game in there. I liked the demo. It's not as good as the better games in the series, but it definitely feels like a notch above your boilerplate hack and slash like Lords of Shadow or God of War. But if they pull a MGS2 and put 3 hours of game into a 10 hour movie then it will be a waste of money, seeing as how awful the narrative appears to be.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not gonna get the game, but instead I'll just watch a playthrough that has all the cutscenes since its all Ninja Theory's ever talked about. That Vergil meeting Dante cutscene was pretty boring though, Dante in particular doesn't come across as a guy just trying to be left alone, but instead a douche.

And that Gamesmaster comment about combat in the series barely changing since 2001? Got two words for them : gently caress YOU. See how fearful and awesome that was? :P

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
GamesmasterUK.

And for anyone trying to work out their criteria for their scores:

They gave "Accessibility" only 63%, Even ignoring how aribtrary those scores are, that's pretty weird.

And OXM has an article:
New Devil May Cry will teach casuals the "magic" of pro gaming, entry bar "is very low".

There's a pretty obvious reason why they're only comparing it to DMC1.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 4, 2013

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Holy poo poo will poeple stop treating DMC1 like it was all there was to the old series.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
It's so loving weird. Like--just to think of another series reboot--when Lords of Shadow came out, the reviews didn't do a point-by-point analysis comparing it to Lament of Innocence to see how it stacked up against that series' first PS2 game. And it seems like every magazine is doing this DMC1 comparison thing, like they got a talking points memo about it from Capcom or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I kind of enjoyed the demo but that review is weird as hell.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wait.

Is the reason reviewers keep comparing it to the original because they're treating it like a new series? Like they're comparing DmC to DMC but expecting DmC to have its own set of games, so it's somehow unfair to compare it to DMC's four games now? It's stupid as hell, but after hearing it so much it's starting to sound like really backhanded praise, like everyone's saying "Good job guys! You're almost as good as the first game in the series you're rebooting that came out 12 years ago!"

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

All I'm getting from this discussion is that gaming journalism is a joke and I knew that before this thread.

I didn't care how the game looked- black haired Dante actually started to grow on me after a while- as long as it played well, and the demo wasn't very fun so I'm not buying the game. v:shobon:v

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: DMC4 related question - what is you guys' 360 gamepad configuration in DMC4? I tried putting the gun on a trigger, but I ended up using the triggers for lock-on and revving.

For Nero, putting shoot on left trigger is a must for me since having a level 3 Charge Shot at the ready any time is pretty good, and using X for Devil Trigger is fine since all there's to it is a button press.

For Dante, I keep default controls. Charge Shots with either E&I or Coyote-A take like a second to prepare so holding X for decloaking Shadows and stunning Chimera Hybrids isn't that big of a deal, and having Devil Trigger on a shoulder button keeps it accessible for Distorting moves.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I've put taunt on X for Nero. Can actually do the drop kick without holding the controller weird. Not that it's relevant that often.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Dante gets the Aquila weapons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPsbiMISTmg

R.I.P cool weapon acquisition videos. You'll be sorely missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've never really been able to find a comfortable setup for Nero in DMC4. Exceed, lock-on and charge shot basically fall into a category of "pick two" which is always a bit frustrating.

• Locked thread