Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

General_Failure posted:

Is that a 1/4" UJ? I want one! Even though it's only for this one job where there's a hose clamp I need to tighten which I can't otherwise do without removing the fuel tank and gently caress that.

yup. and for $5 or whatever it's totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cakefool posted:

Yeah, no problem once I spoke to an adult. Wiper motor is knackered though, gently caress French bastards crimping every bastard thing together means I need a while new assembly.

You know what they say about Crimpin'

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So my Craftsman 3.5 ton jack from about seven years back seems to have failed. It also seems to be cheap Chinese made poo poo at a not cheap price. I'm going to try replacing the fluid tomorrow to see if that helps, but if not, any reason not to get the Harbor Freight 2.5 low profile?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

So my Craftsman 3.5 ton jack from about seven years back seems to have failed. It also seems to be cheap Chinese made poo poo at a not cheap price. I'm going to try replacing the fluid tomorrow to see if that helps, but if not, any reason not to get the Harbor Freight 2.5 low profile?

Depending on what you have for coupons..

I've seen both the aluminum one, and the steel one rated for 2.5. I assume you're going to get the 80 pound behemoth? I got the 2 ton aluminum one.. in spades. Gave them out as gifts over the last couple of years. They've worked fine for my meager auto requirements. Buddy has a 2.5 and has used it with this 4.0 Jeep. Several times.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crustashio posted:

Yes, impact drivers have far less torque and sometimes apply a downward force in addition to a rotational one. I've always understood that they're meant for installing screws and such in a quick manner. ....

Ta for the explanation: so an 'impact driver' is more of a screwdriver on steroids, than a less-powerful impact gun.

Cakefool posted:

Yeah, no problem once I spoke to an adult.

The warranties on B&Q stuff is pretty good. You choose your price and know that you will get a tool that will last for at least that set period - even if you have to exchange it many times. The cheaper brands (Black and Decker) have shorter warranties than the more expensive (DeWalt) ones.

Friend and I worked out that Halfords Professional Tools are a better buy than Snap-on for even pros: both have life-time warranty, but Halfords are everywhere, you can afford to buy a duplicate set of your entire toolset and every 3? years you can write them off for tax purposes and buy a new one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Make sure you keep your receipt, they never used to ask, now they do. Or at least my local one does.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Make sure you keep your receipt, they never used to ask, now they do. Or at least my local one does.

I think they added that requirement fairly recently. Of course, the whammy here is that the till receipt will fade after 3 months and photocopies aren't accepted.

quote:

* Should a Halfords Advanced Professional Hand Tool fail whilst being used for the purpose and in the manner for which it was designed, it will be inspected and replaced. Simply return the product to your nearest Halfords store with proof of purchase and we will arrange a replacement for you.

Proof of purchase is required to validate the Lifetime Guarantee.
Misuse of the product will immediately invalidate the Lifetime Guarantee.
Moving parts are not covered for wear and tear under this guarantee.
Discontinued items will be replaced with an equivalent product in terms of use and quality.
This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.

Also, I think that they don't cover the ratchet handle itself now - but it's still worth it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only downside of the cheap 2.5 ton aluminum jack is the max lifting height, it's noticeably less than other jacks. It's still fine for doing oil changes etc. on normal cars, but if you have an SUV you'll probably want a bigger lift.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Those cheap Chinese jacks are probably the only Chinese tools I've never seen fail. I guess they have some kind of honor code that outlaws murder by car-crushing. Anyways, they're so cheap that you should be able to afford a couple of solid stands too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

One of the other things I bought yesterday was a shorter, larger-bore hose for air tools, so I'll see if that makes an improvement.
Just tried it, and yes, using 10' of regular air hose (about 5/16" bore) rather than recoil hose makes a significant difference to the effectiveness of tools.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Colonel K posted:

What size is your hose and compressor?

I was given what I'm pretty sure is one of the cheap aldi impact wrenches and it has proved more useful than I'd ever thought it would. I've only had it fail to remove one thing which as a very stuck panhard rod bolt on a 90. Switching to a short hose straight into the tank made the difference to remove it.

From browsing in my local machinemart the cheaper clarke air impact wrench is exactly the same as the Aldi one i have but with a different sticker on it.

My compressor is a 'Clarke Rebel 30' - so its only got a 30L tank BUT it is 2.5hp/9CFM rather than one of the cheapy 1hp/6CFM ones. It is however running over probably 25M of hose (which mainly looks to be decent stuff with 8 or 10mm internal bore - It is the £20 Aldi version of this http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-15-metre-retractable-air-hose-reel-ca?da=1&TC=SRC-air+line+hose ).

By the time I next come to take a wheel off the 101 I should have finished my garage so it can run over a short hose instead and i'll give it another try. May buy one of the electric ones too though as it keeps me more popular with the neighbours :)

InitialDave posted:

Just tried it, and yes, using 10' of regular air hose (about 5/16" bore) rather than recoil hose makes a significant difference to the effectiveness of tools.

OK. I will hold off on any further dissing of the aldi impact driver until I get it onto a shorter hose!

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 1, 2013

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I think they added that requirement fairly recently. Of course, the whammy here is that the till receipt will fade after 3 months and photocopies aren't accepted.

Also, I think that they don't cover the ratchet handle itself now - but it's still worth it.

Do they cover ratchet spanners? The 10mm one I have broke the first time I used it last week :( I wasnt even abusing it - it broke as soon as I put any force on it and it wasnt even a tight nut.

Every time i get a halfords tool reciept now i staple it to a bit of A4 on which I write in marker what it is for so i can easily read it later. Stops them getting lost so easily too.
When I had all my stuff nicked back in the summer I was so happy to have a huge stack of reciepts for everything for my insurance claim!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viggen posted:

Depending on what you have for coupons..

I've seen both the aluminum one, and the steel one rated for 2.5. I assume you're going to get the 80 pound behemoth? I got the 2 ton aluminum one.. in spades. Gave them out as gifts over the last couple of years. They've worked fine for my meager auto requirements. Buddy has a 2.5 and has used it with this 4.0 Jeep. Several times.

Coupons are a problem that usually solves itself for me, and yes it'd be the heavy steel one. I don't see any point in paying the premium for another aluminum one when I already have the 1.5 aluminum jack, and if I need to lift something bigger than what it can handle, I don't mind moving a heavier jack around.

mod sassinator posted:

The only downside of the cheap 2.5 ton aluminum jack is the max lifting height, it's noticeably less than other jacks. It's still fine for doing oil changes etc. on normal cars, but if you have an SUV you'll probably want a bigger lift.

Yeah, the Ranger being stock height means I need a nice lift height to do anything useful, especially with the rear end.

Sir Cornelius posted:

Those cheap Chinese jacks are probably the only Chinese tools I've never seen fail. I guess they have some kind of honor code that outlaws murder by car-crushing. Anyways, they're so cheap that you should be able to afford a couple of solid stands too.

The way mine failed, it at least waited until after I had it on stands; I didn't realize anything was up until I tried to lift it higher. Just glad it didn't kill me, I suppose.

The other option is this at Costco - I haven't actually looked at it there yet but the reviews everywhere are positive, plus Costco's return policies are nice.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Certainly try a shorter hose.

If you're kitting out a workshop I'd recomend the push fit plastic pneumatic stuff, you can get it in 15, 22 or 28mm . I intend on putting into a new build shed I'm working on at the moment. I think toolstation sells the stuff, and they have lots of outlets or free delivery for online orders.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other option is this at Costco - I haven't actually looked at it there yet but the reviews everywhere are positive, plus Costco's return policies are nice.

That looks just like the black beast I bought at Wal-Mart when I was stranded, only with red paint. It was heavy as hell, worked great, but didn't have low clearance (which you don't care about). It also took like 20 pumps to get anything into the air. I'd swear it's the same drat thing, but I can't check the model/specs as I gave it to my buddy with the 4.0.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Do they cover ratchet spanners? The 10mm one I have broke the first time I used it last week :( I wasnt even abusing it - it broke as soon as I put any force on it and it wasnt even a tight nut.

I dunno, but you'd still be covered by the Sale of Goods Act for at least the first year.

quote:

Every time i get a halfords tool reciept now i staple it to a bit of A4 on which I write in marker what it is for so i can easily read it later. Stops them getting lost so easily too.
When I had all my stuff nicked back in the summer I was so happy to have a huge stack of reciepts for everything for my insurance claim!

I scan/copy them with a laser printer and staple the receipt to the printout.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Throw a piece of packing tape over the receipt. It's like laminating it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

Throw a piece of packing tape over the receipt. It's like laminating it.

Set the box by the stove. Most thermal print fades quickly. When exposed to nearby heat, it gets pretty dark all over. "I was just making some soup to feed my poor father who was CRUSHED UNDER ONE OF YOUR DEVICES AND CAN'T MOVE MORE THAN A SINGLE FINGER SIX TIMES A DAY."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When companies with a lifetime warranty want a receipt for no good reason I go and buy another, then return the old one a few days/weeks later as broken/defective. gently caress em, lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty, I am not keeping an auto fading piece of paper around.

Craftsman is great for this reason, they don't ask for a receipt, just tell you to get another off the shelf.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Craftsman is great for this reason, they don't ask for a receipt, just tell you to get another off the shelf.

I've gotten flak for that lately (in the last couple of years). The last time I brought in a broken ratchet the sales droid pulled a box of old rear end poo poo out from under the service counter and told me to take my pick. I told him I needed to talk to his manager......who then had no problem walking me over to the new stuff to pick out the exact same thing I was returning.

I was told by that manager that they are dropping/modifying the lifetime warranty on many of the tools they used to have lifetime on like ratchets where the warranty only covers a rebuild kit. I was told to continue asking for the manager who is likely to not care enough to do anything other than hand me new stuff so I'll leave.

All in all, not a terrible experience.....but remember to fight for what you want. And even if the tool you are returning is newer than the lifetime warranty......it was already warrantied once from a lifetime tool.....right?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

All in all, not a terrible experience.....but remember to fight for what you want. And even if the tool you are returning is newer than the lifetime warranty......it was already warrantied once from a lifetime tool.....right?

Last time I did this, I was offered a "Limited Lifetime" ratchet on exchange after wasting 15 minutes arguing with the checker about getting management to contend, and it had less teeth than my $4 Harbor Freight kit. I was less than impressed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

Last time I did this, I was offered a "Limited Lifetime" ratchet on exchange after wasting 15 minutes arguing with the checker about getting management to contend, and it had less teeth than my $4 Harbor Freight kit. I was less than impressed.

Don't accept the remedy, venue shop for an acceptable one (I ended up at a Sears Hardware not a proper store), never buy Craftsman again.

That's what I've done.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

never buy Craftsman again.

It's sad, but that's where I'm at as well. They're virtually just rebranded Stanley products at this point. I don't like throwing my money away at HF, but if I get the same amount of being put out for an inferior product - why would I buy the more expensive one?

..still got like 7 shrinkwrapped HF 40 piece 3/8" kits. The spanners are garbage, but break two, exchange when in town, rinse, repeat..

I do like their (discontinued?) 16 piece Metric 1/2" set. I've used that on virtually every car by now, and the breaker bar is actually fairly rigid. $30 and I've got from 12mm to 30mm (most of them).

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
I've completely stopped buying craftsman all together after they pulled that rebuilt ratchet poo poo on me. If I'm going to buy Chinese crap tools I might as well do it at HF and pay half the price.

HF Composite ratchets for life!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the local Sears wouldn't give me a new part and I kissed the managers rear end. Meanwhile HF employees still let me use more than one coupon at a time.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Rhyno posted:

Yeah the local Sears wouldn't give me a new part and I kissed the managers rear end. Meanwhile HF employees still let me use more than one coupon at a time.

You're gonna need a ton of those to work on a rusted out land locked G Body.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Viggen posted:

You're gonna need a ton of those to work on a rusted out land locked G Body.

I'm still getting it, I fear no rust!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I actually had better luck with my previous rebuilt ratchet from sears than I did with the new one it replaced. I can kill almost any tool but it stood up to being used as an impact by slamming a 4lb bfh on the handle for way longer than expected. It only died after I left it outside for several months and it got rusty, then started beating on it with hammers at the junkyard again.

HF ratchets just die on me, on like the third use, maximum. If I wanted a tool to hold it and look at it that would be one thing but I occasionally need to use them, so tools I have to keep a stock of that might break and leave me halfway through something are really not acceptable. So HF and husky ratchets are right out.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

spog posted:

I bought a tool cart from Harbor Freight the other day, and the cashier was telling everyone to copy your receipt since it's needed for returns and they fade quickly. So I guess it depends on the store.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

HF ratchets just die on me, on like the third use, maximum. If I wanted a tool to hold it and look at it that would be one thing but I occasionally need to use them, so tools I have to keep a stock of that might break and leave me halfway through something are really not acceptable. So HF and husky ratchets are right out.

If you know you can depend on not depending on them for awful work, they're just fine. The wrenches I have bought are OK to beat to crap, just not the ratchets. That's why I have several (and a couple Craftsman, still)..

chem42 posted:

I bought a tool cart from Harbor Freight the other day, and the cashier was telling everyone to copy your receipt since it's needed for returns and they fade quickly. So I guess it depends on the store.

If you buy it online and do 'ship to store', they can look it up. I made them do that with the last exchange. You can't stack coupons, though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In my experience the lovely Craftsman sockets are better than their ratchets. I've yet to break a socket but I destroy usually 2-3 3/8s ratchets on a busy week. I have 6 or 8 and just swap em all at once. Their rebuilds either break immediately or the teeth are absolute dogshit and they pop into neutral every other swing.

I've never broken their 1/2" stuff though. Even with a 6 foot cheater bar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The last two I broke were 1/2s. Never broke a 3/8 though.

I have problems other people don't have.

Oh, and on the subject of hydro jacks, the HF 3 tonner is decent. Mine lives outside, is buried in 8" of snow right now, and likely doesn't care. It lifted the corner of the truck in my avatar (around 5000 pounds) with only minor complaints so I could change a tire. I did more complaining during that than it did.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The wal-mart Torin 2.5Ton lo-pro jack is a piece of crap with a valve that by the 3rd time I used it won't even hold the weight of its own arm without dropping about an inch a minute. Shame, as the 2.5ton Mac jack they used to sell was fantastic for the price.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Sears is run by a Hedge Fund now. I wouldn't buy anything there.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

daslog posted:

Sears is run by a Hedge Fund now. I wouldn't buy anything there.

All the more reason to buy the guaranteed cheaply produced Chinese counterpart, right? :haw:

I can't remember which model 2.5 I got from Wal-Mart, but it was all black, and I swear the name was something like 'Husky', it sure wasn't the Pro-Tools, or Torin. :sigh: Guess that info is of use to you IoC, sorry.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I had a Craftsman drill from Sears that broke literally the first time using it, drilling Chinese PC case pot metal. When I drove to the store to exchange it under warranty they gave me a website to visit to ship the thing back and wait 4-6 weeks for a new one. I didn't bother, just replaced it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is there a trick to grease guns with hoses? I bought my dad a Lincon Powerluber for Christmas, went to use it for the first time today, and the end of the hose kept getting stuck on fittings. All I've had before was a grease gun with a pistol grip and a straight pipe. The hard part with that was getting it on decently, pulling it off was never a problem. I tried searching hoping I would find a heavy equipment forum or something but all I got were ads for replacement hoses.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thebigcow posted:

Is there a trick to grease guns with hoses? I bought my dad a Lincon Powerluber for Christmas, went to use it for the first time today, and the end of the hose kept getting stuck on fittings. All I've had before was a grease gun with a pistol grip and a straight pipe. The hard part with that was getting it on decently, pulling it off was never a problem. I tried searching hoping I would find a heavy equipment forum or something but all I got were ads for replacement hoses.

I dunno. All I could figure is you just roll them off to the side and they pop off.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

General_Failure posted:

I dunno. All I could figure is you just roll them off to the side and they pop off.

That is what I was doing, which worked ok up until I tried to get a fitting on the Bobcat that can only be reached through a small hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

thebigcow posted:

Can you turn your nozzle? Some of the grease guns I've used you can twist the end of the hose and it will tighten or loosen the end, making it harder or easier to get on and off the grease fittings.