Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Lithiumhosting is 10 a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Sperg Victorious posted:

Lithiumhosting is 10 a year.

That will do it.

Thanks!

edit: just signed up :dance:

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 4, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
edit: nvm

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 4, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

greazeball posted:

I'm a novice with a low-traffic Wordpress site and I like my Lithium hosting, especially for $10 a year.

I thought this was a great idea and I had a Lithium account sitting around doing nothing, so I tried a basic Wordpress install and I was getting really really slow loading and random intervals, 2-3 seconds even with the W3 caching system and it made my boss yell at me, so I moved the exact same install onto a $15/year VPS and I'm back to 30ms load times and now my boss doesn't yell at me. Maybe I was unlucky.

edit: vvvv It wasn't a Lithium VPS, honestly the cheap VPS thing isn't for most people and I don't actually run our website on one anymore, although it was these guys.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 4, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I thought this was a great idea and I had a Lithium account sitting around doing nothing, so I tried a basic Wordpress install and I was getting really really slow loading and random intervals, 2-3 seconds even with the W3 caching system and it made my boss yell at me, so I moved the exact same install onto a $15/year VPS and I'm back to 30ms load times and now my boss doesn't yell at me. Maybe I was unlucky.

Yeah, I noticed last night that it's horribly slow. I might consider upgrading to the VPS then once the is ready to be rolled out.

Thanks for the tip.

edit: can you link the VPS option? I can't seem to find it on their website.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 4, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
If you have issues, let me know, or submit a ticket. A fresh wordpress install shouldn't be slow or have any issues.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

DarkLotus posted:

If you have issues, let me know, or submit a ticket. A fresh wordpress install shouldn't be slow or have any issues.

Sorry, horribly slow is a bit of an exaggeration. It's only 2-4 seconds wait when it's "finding site" I guess. Still not a bad deal for the price paid though.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

lol internet. posted:

Sorry, horribly slow is a bit of an exaggeration. It's only 2-4 seconds wait when it's "finding site" I guess. Still not a bad deal for the price paid though.

If you continue to have issues, let me know so I can look into it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

DarkLotus posted:

If you continue to have issues, let me know so I can look into it.

Yep will do.

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, I'll see how it is once I have everything rolled out. I don't mind upgrading the hosting package for a bit more if it's necessary/available. Since I'm on the Lurker package, you can only expect so much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone else having issues with Rackspace cloud right now?

quote:

Cloud Servers Issues
Tuesday Dec 4, 2012
Cloud Servers - Next Generation Cloud Severs - Service Degradation
03:23 PM EST
12/04/12
Affected Product:

Next Generation Cloud Servers

Incident Summary:

A portion of Next Generation Cloud Server customers in our DFW data center are currently experiencing service degradation.

We are currently investigating the situation and will resolve the issue as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact a member of our support team.

Edit: aaand we're back up. Down for 27 whole minutes :argh:

Edit: scratch that, back down :argh:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 4, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

~*~The Cloud~*~

Does anyone use Terremarks cloud services? I know our company looked at it for some stuff but didn't really pursue it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Didn't want to really create a new thread for this question so I figure I'd ask here.

I'd like to turn my default wordpress "index" page into a template and use it's layout\settings for a new page that I add to my wordpress site.

Does anyone know which page that actual index is which holds all that information? Index itself just calls a ton of stuff and actually doesn't have the page\style in it.

Figure I'd ask here before I start digging through all the documentation.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol internet. posted:

Didn't want to really create a new thread for this question so I figure I'd ask here.

I'd like to turn my default wordpress "index" page into a template and use it's layout\settings for a new page that I add to my wordpress site.

Does anyone know which page that actual index is which holds all that information? Index itself just calls a ton of stuff and actually doesn't have the page\style in it.

Figure I'd ask here before I start digging through all the documentation.

There's a Wordpress thread in CoC

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks, I've never actually ventured into that subforum. Never noticed it really heh.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a Linode with Ubuntu Server 12.04. What's the best way to setup jailed users?

Actually, what's the best way to setup permissions in an environment where nginx runs as www-data and needs writing access for wordpress updates/plugins? Right now www-data owns everything which works but makes it hard for me to edit the files without using sido (even though my user is part of the www-data group).

Now I'm trying to setup a couple of more accounts for a couple of collaborative sites where I need them to be able to edit the files via Filezilla without being able to see outside the site folder.

I was able to set it up with vsftpd but I know that I shouldn't be using ftp for that kind of thing, and it doesn't really work anyway due to permissions issues.

So, what's the best way to setup a hosting environment?

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
We're outgrowing our Hostgator VPS. We've got a Level 5 VPS with them right now (2.69GHz, 1.8GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 1425GB bw). We're only using about 60GB of drive space, however we're dangerously close to hitting the 1,000,000 inode limit.

We are trying to decide now if we would be better off to get a second VPS and try to split everything between the two (possibly switching to a level 3 and a level 4 instead of 1 level 5), or making the hop to a dedicated server. The cost of 2 VPSes would come to about $130/month, but I'm also taking a RAM and cpu hit on both of them by downgrading.

The cheapest HG dedicated server is $174/month, and gives me 4GB RAM and 500GB HDDs in RAID1 with cPanel.

I can't decide the best course of action. Obviously if there is a better provider out there, I'm open to that option as well. I've just been sticking with HG since we started out with them many years ago.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't stay with them, 4GB ram for 200 is way over normal costs even with some handholding..

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
$174 is not $200, for one.

For two, if HG uses enterprise hardware for their servers, you're really not going to get a significantly better deal, though I can't speak to the quality of customer service they offer.

A comparable server at SoftLayer is $219, though admittedly SoftLayer is a poor choice for entry level.

If Maniaman doesn't want server management and is okay with consumer grade hardware, yeah, he can definitely get a server for a fraction of the price, and if he's okay passing on one or the other, there's probably a good deal to be had somewhere.

Looks like a similar setup would be about $160 at Limestone with "standard support", whatever that means. Though it does include 5GB of backup space, which is pretty nice. If you bump that one up to "managed" support it's about $200 also.

E: to be clear, I probably would not get a dedi from HG, but the price isn't totally out of line if the hardware is good, which if I recall they get everything from SL, so it probably is.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 10, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I was thinking about starting up a website for a hobby. Most of the content such as videos would be hosted off my youtube account, only thing the site would be hosting of any substantial size would be the pictures in the guides/how to's. I was looking at hostgator for the cost/feature ratio, but skimming some of the thread doesn't leave me with many good impressions. Just looking for a basic wordpress site hosting. Checking out lithium hosting right now, might sign up for the one month free trial sometime this week.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Comradephate posted:

$174 is not $200, for one.

For two, if HG uses enterprise hardware for their servers, you're really not going to get a significantly better deal, though I can't speak to the quality of customer service they offer.

A comparable server at SoftLayer is $219, though admittedly SoftLayer is a poor choice for entry level.

If Maniaman doesn't want server management and is okay with consumer grade hardware, yeah, he can definitely get a server for a fraction of the price, and if he's okay passing on one or the other, there's probably a good deal to be had somewhere.

Looks like a similar setup would be about $160 at Limestone with "standard support", whatever that means. Though it does include 5GB of backup space, which is pretty nice. If you bump that one up to "managed" support it's about $200 also.

E: to be clear, I probably would not get a dedi from HG, but the price isn't totally out of line if the hardware is good, which if I recall they get everything from SL, so it probably is.

Look at KnownHost. I've had a good experience with them in the past. Fully managed with good support. Their 'Hybrid Servers' might be a good fit.

They also have managed dedicated options too.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

gmq posted:

I have a Linode with Ubuntu Server 12.04. What's the best way to setup jailed users?

Actually, what's the best way to setup permissions in an environment where nginx runs as www-data and needs writing access for wordpress updates/plugins? Right now www-data owns everything which works but makes it hard for me to edit the files without using sido (even though my user is part of the www-data group).

Now I'm trying to setup a couple of more accounts for a couple of collaborative sites where I need them to be able to edit the files via Filezilla without being able to see outside the site folder.

I was able to set it up with vsftpd but I know that I shouldn't be using ftp for that kind of thing, and it doesn't really work anyway due to permissions issues.

So, what's the best way to setup a hosting environment?

here's what I've done on debian. you can't just copy+paste it but it might give you some ideas

• make sftp group, add user1 user2 user3 etc to group
  • add www-data to the groups user1, user2, user3
  • lock down sshd apart from sftp/scp for members of the sftp group to their own home dir:
    code:
    Subsystem sftp internal-sftp   
    Match Group sftp
    ChrootDirectory %h
    ForceCommand internal-sftp
    AllowTcpForwarding no
    X11Forwarding no

(unfortunately due to the way this "jailing" works, their home dirs have to be owned by root:root, so we make another dir inside each home called www, which they have rights on)
  • for each user:
    /home/userN owned by root:root, chmod 755
    /home/userN/www owned by userN:userN, chmod 750
  • run one instance of php5-fpm for each user. e.g. /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/userN.conf
    code:
    [userN]
    user = userN
    group = userN
    listen = /var/run/php5-fpm-$pool.sock
    pm = dynamic
    pm.max_children = 5
    pm.start_servers = 2
    pm.min_spare_servers = 1
    pm.max_spare_servers = 3
    pm.max_requests = 200
    chdir = /

• for each virtual host in nginx, pass php files to the appropriate fastcgi pool
    code:
    location ~ \.php$ {
      fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm-userN.sock;
      fastcgi_index index.php;
      include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
      fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_script_name;
      fastcgi_param SERVER_NAME $domain;
    }
    ($domain is a local variable in my conf, you'll need to change that)
  • set the default umask to 027 in /etc/pam.d/common-session. do not omit to do this.
    code:
    session optional pam_umask.so umask=027

what this means:
  • files users upload will be owned by themself:themself with chmod 640, dirs will get 750
  • nginx (www-data) gets read-only access for serving static content
  • php scripts will be run as the appropriate user
  • this allows them r+w access to their own files but no access to other users' files
you also need to lock down php or you're wide open to your own users DOSing you or gaining a shell

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I was able to free up a good chunk of inodes by going through and nuking the accounts that have been suspended for over a year for non payment. Now I just need to figure out why that isn't happening automatically.

It's a temporary fix, but should buy us a couple more months.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Maniaman posted:

We're outgrowing our Hostgator VPS. We've got a Level 5 VPS with them right now (2.69GHz, 1.8GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 1425GB bw). We're only using about 60GB of drive space, however we're dangerously close to hitting the 1,000,000 inode limit.

We are trying to decide now if we would be better off to get a second VPS and try to split everything between the two (possibly switching to a level 3 and a level 4 instead of 1 level 5), or making the hop to a dedicated server. The cost of 2 VPSes would come to about $130/month, but I'm also taking a RAM and cpu hit on both of them by downgrading.

The cheapest HG dedicated server is $174/month, and gives me 4GB RAM and 500GB HDDs in RAID1 with cPanel.

I can't decide the best course of action. Obviously if there is a better provider out there, I'm open to that option as well. I've just been sticking with HG since we started out with them many years ago.

Keep in mind that nearly every webhost (including HostGator and Softlayer) will allow you to email sales for a sales quote. Now, HostGator didn't have much leeway when it came to their Softlayer servers, but since they no longer host at Softlayer they may have more or less. I'm not with them any more, so I'm not sure things have changed.

Anyway, with that said I think $174 for such a basic server is pretty bad unless you need the bells and whistles they come with (cPanel, support, 10TB bw). I'll always root for HG support, it's fast and they'll fix just about anything you throw at them.

I recently started SSD VPS hosting and I found the best deals for dedicated hardware were between DataShack, HiVelocity and PhoenixNAP. Between these guys it came down to pretty weird differences, like data at PhoenixNAP was way more expensive than the others, but RAM significantly cheaper. You've got to throw everything into a spreadsheet and do a cost analysis.

I have a server that absolutely blows that $174 server away from HiVelocity (including RAID 10 SSDs, 32gb ram) and I'm not paying significantly more than that Softlayer server.

Edit: If you decide to go with HiV, shoot me a PM and I'll forward my sales guys info. He gave me a pretty good deal.

vty fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 12, 2012

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to set up a swiss army knife on a remote server; someplace where I can park a domain name and run a blog/e-mail server/remote file storage/VPN host if I'm browsing from unsecured networks. Just random little things that are easier to do with a remote host and a static IP than to try to run from home.

Where I run up against some issues is when I'm trying to determine just how much oomph the server will need to handle that. The services on their own are all pretty small, not trying to run Minecraft or anything off of it, but I don't want to pay for too weak a server.

My other issue is that I don't know of a good Dropbox-ish remote file storage program where I can dump files on my server to make accessible to other people. I know there's this amazing new program called FTP, but I'm looking for something with a HTML interface so I can access it from browsers if I'm not at a computer that can FTP. Same deal for a VPN forwarder program; poking around just found programs meant for running off your home Windows computer, not for being on a linux VPS.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
http://sparkleshare.org self hosted?

Note: DO NOT EVER get an OpenVZ VPS, ever. They are cheaper, but just pay the extra for something like KVM and keep your sanity.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

http://sparkleshare.org self hosted?

Note: DO NOT EVER get an OpenVZ VPS, ever. They are cheaper, but just pay the extra for something like KVM and keep your sanity.

Haha, this is true. But I have one of the BuyVM $15/yr VPS which is on OpenVZ. It can definitely be annoying, but for what I need, and for the ridiculous price, it's completely ok.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just because I'm curious, why is KVM so superior to OpenVZ unless you wanted to compile your own kernel?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

eightysixed posted:

Just because I'm curious, why is KVM so superior to OpenVZ unless you wanted to compile your own kernel?

• TUN/TAP devices without them having to be enabled in the hypervisor

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Milkie Galore posted:

• TUN/TAP devices without them having to be enabled in the hypervisor

can't make a swap partition

many other things

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Linode just increased everyone's storage by 20% for free. This is part of the reason why I continue to stick with them.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Fangs404 posted:

Linode just increased everyone's storage by 20% for free. This is part of the reason why I continue to stick with them.

Time go to see how online filesystem resizing works.

If I don't make it back, tell my wife and kids that I love them.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

McGlockenshire posted:

Time go to see how online filesystem resizing works.

If I don't make it back, tell my wife and kids that I love them.

It's braindead simple and takes like 30 seconds. Shut down server, resize, boot back up.

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

DNova posted:

can't make a swap partition

many other things

Not entirely true now. RHEL6-based kernels introduced the ability for VSwap:

http://wiki.openvz.org/VSwap

We've been experimenting with it at HostDime and might offer it sometime soon by default on our plans. I personally prefer Xen/KVM for virtualization also due to the client segregation and general concept of hardware virt, but I think OVZ is good in a pinch. Also, if the provider you use monitors their nodes well and maintains some semblance of abuse control, it can be quite stable.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Throwing in a recommendation for http://afterburst.com/ (Formerly Fanatical). I've been with them for over a year on the "Huge" plan and I can honestly say I have no complaints. They offer servers located in Germany and the US.

Their prices, in my opinion, are spot on. The servers perform fine, as far as I can tell they haven't oversold on any of the nodes I've occupied, they're big enough so you don't have to worry about buying a server for a year and them going under 3 months later, and most of all they aren't tight-arsed concerning their unmetered data. They have a fair usage policy (as most hosts that offer unlimited anything would), and I still haven't found where the line is drawn. I've gotten up to 9 terabytes in one month and haven't got an email from them.

Speed test:
code:
[root@Qtbox ~]# wget -O /dev/null cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
--2013-01-02 02:23:37--  [url]http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test[/url]
Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: â/dev/nullâ

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 84.8M/s   in 1.2s

2013-01-02 02:23:38 (84.8 MB/s) - â/dev/nullâ

[root@Qtbox ~]#
Disk I/O:
code:
[root@Qtbox ~]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test-hd bs=1M count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 2.56856 s, 408 MB/s

real    0m2.759s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m1.546s
[root@Qtbox ~]#
e: I'm not 100% on what a great disk I/O should be, but that seems pretty ok to me

River fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 2, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
That disk I/O is bafflingly high, actually.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Comradephate posted:

That disk I/O is bafflingly high, actually.

I kept doing it with new files (test-hd2, 3 etc) and got it up to 900

e: http://i.imgur.com/jyG0p.png.

Didn't even up the load, and that was after doing it several times: http://i.imgur.com/6qu5Y.png. Guessing this sort of result is ok for a VPS that costs $30 a month?

River fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 2, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
tbh I'm not even sure how it's possible. Maybe there's some kine of OpenVZ trickery that I'm not familiar with.

They say they use 4 1TB drives in raid 10. the fastest 1TB drive I found on Tom's Hardware is a velociraptor that hits 210MB/s for peak reads and writes.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Comradephate posted:

tbh I'm not even sure how it's possible. Maybe there's some kine of OpenVZ trickery that I'm not familiar with.

They say they use 4 1TB drives in raid 10. the fastest 1TB drive I found on Tom's Hardware is a velociraptor that hits 210MB/s for peak reads and writes.

Baffling. I can't complain, though!

Maybe 15k RPM drives or SSD's? Although I guess they'd list it if they had SSD's. Is there any other test I could perform to get an absolutely accurate reading?

River fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 2, 2013

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

River posted:

Baffling. I can't complain, though!

Maybe 15k RPM drives or SSD's? Although I guess they'd list it if they had SSD's. Is there any other test I could perform to get an absolutely accurate reading?

It is probably just writing to ram. What you typically want to do to test disk throughput is to have it generate a file that would be larger than physical memory (2x is a good measure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

optikalus posted:

It is probably just writing to ram. What you typically want to do to test disk throughput is to have it generate a file that would be larger than physical memory (2x is a good measure).

code:
[root@Qtbox tmp]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test-hd bs=1M count=6000
6000+0 records in
6000+0 records out
6291456000 bytes (6.3 GB) copied, 29.8543 s, 201 MB/s

real    0m39.247s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m7.531s
[root@Qtbox tmp]#
That's a bit more believable. Thanks!