Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

There anyway to fix the AI just sitting outside of my castle with infantry until time expires in Shogun 2? I'm using the Radious mod and it's getting very tiresome waiting 20 or so minutes for the timer to run down because they won't commit the last of their troops or run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Bolow posted:

There anyway to fix the AI just sitting outside of my castle with infantry until time expires in Shogun 2? I'm using the Radious mod and it's getting very tiresome waiting 20 or so minutes for the timer to run down because they won't commit the last of their troops or run away.

Run a cavalry or infantry unit out to them and when it gets close enough they will "wake up" and continue their attack.

It's odd though, I've literally only seen it happen once in all my time playing Shogun 2 vanilla. Maybe it's something to do with Radious?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

turboraton posted:

Hey there guys. Total War franchise has a huge discount and I remember playing some bit of Rome Total War and a LOT of Medieval Total War and enjoying it. I dont think I have enough money for Shogun 2 but what other game do you recommend me? I dont care so much for graphics.

Napoleon Total War.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

shalcar posted:

Run a cavalry or infantry unit out to them and when it gets close enough they will "wake up" and continue their attack.

It's odd though, I've literally only seen it happen once in all my time playing Shogun 2 vanilla. Maybe it's something to do with Radious?

Happens all the time in Medieval 2, probably a holdover.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Bolow posted:

My brother once had this happen to him, a giant Takeda stack just ran around in a big ball outside his castle walls.

They were in matchlock range. The matchlocks got 900 kills.

Other than that I haven't really encountered this. Poking at them with a spare unit like others suggested should do it though. It may happen more with reinforcing armies?

EDIT: Medieval 2 AI was hilariously easy to abuse. Longbows especially, due to their ability to plant wooden stakes. Plant a line of them, and the AI will literally never think to flank with their units. Their cavalry will charge at you, halt before the stakes, run away a bit, then charge back towards you again, never actually engaging.

My favorite abuse of stakes was planting them right behind the gate when playing siege defenses versus the Mongols, or any other cavalry-heavy army. As soon as the gates go down from the battering ram, every enemy cavalry unit charges through, and immediately gets impaled on the stakes. Glorious.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 2, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The worst is from Stainless Steel which allowed the AI longbowmen to plant stakes at any time during the battle, so you'd set up a sweet charge on them then have 3/4 of your knights fall over and die. Maybe this is just from an earlier version, I haven't played SS in a few months.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

turboraton posted:

Hey there guys. Total War franchise has a huge discount and I remember playing some bit of Rome Total War and a LOT of Medieval Total War and enjoying it. I dont think I have enough money for Shogun 2 but what other game do you recommend me? I dont care so much for graphics.

It basically comes down to which time period interests you most, really. Historical interest generally trumps objective game quality in the Total War series. That said, Empire and Napoleon have less headache-inducing reinforcement systems than the earlier games, and Empire is generally regarded as the objectively worst game of the lot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not the worst game, just the most crippled by studio changes and an insane development cycle (AI PROGRAMMER LEFT THE STUDIO? WELP BETTER THROW TOGETHER WHAT WE GOT NOT DELAY BY SIX MONTHS BRING NOW FORTH THE DLC) and lets be honest most of us in the thread have at least clocked one hundred hours with it.

But yeah, I agree with 'go with what era of History that appeals to you' as well as 'Napoleon Total War'.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I've clocked so many hours into the TW series. Rome was brilliant, so much diversity and fun. I kinda skipped over M2 and went for ETW. Again, lovely amount of diversity but what the hell the AI was bad. So very bad. And did the multiplayer campaign ever come out of beta?

And then, Napoleon. Why the flippin poo poo did they make Empire first, and then Napoleon? I would have enjoyed it so much more if Napoleon was the poo poo one and Empire the non-buggy, MP-functional version. Alas. I also tried M2 afterwards with Stainless Steel, but I was just too spoiled by the improvements of the later game, especially the unit reinforcements. I sent reinforcement armies after the main body, but it just didn't work out.

I played Shogun 2 for a few days before I realised it was really dumb and dumbed down. Maybe that gunpowder-industrial expansion thing adds good stuff to the game, but :effort: at that point.

Long story short, NTW is great and Rome 2 needs to come out now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

From what I recall with UK PC Gamer when they first announced Empire that they planned it from 1700 to 1830 complete with all the Napoleonic era fluff, which explains some of the weird prototype alt History technology you get in base Empire.

Of course I'm not sure if it was SEGA simply needing a quick cash bonus for the new year or Creative Assembleys fault constantly pushing ahead instead of working on and mapping out the new prototype engine and not making the case than an early release would do more damage than good (to this day some people see NTW, associate the horrible buggy state of post release Empire and not give a gently caress) but either way the end result was poor old ETW.

Didn't really help they locked down on modding and charged for DLC which should have been in game content from purchase. If STEAM didn't exist with the sales that made the game and the DLC cheap as hell ETW could have been their last one.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Frankly, if you've got £20 quid spare, just grab the overall pack, or tack on another £10 and get the complete here-is-all-the-DLC pack.

I didn't find Shogun 2 dumbed down, rather it just let you know exactly what was going on in terms of stats and bonuses rather then hiding it like earlier games did. It helps to figure out how and why you lost ("ah, so that unit has high melee defence so I got bogged down and overwhelmed. Better shoot them next time").

I also like how multiplayer has matchmaking, so I stop getting kicked from lobbies for having a low multiplayer rank :argh: Got into Napoleon late and have never played a land battle online because I kept getting booted for "being a 1-star noob" :smith:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I just found S2 to be kinda lacking in diversity (well, I guess they were all Japanese all following the same rules and things), and the faction-specific units were just "[faction-name] Archers. +1 range +1 damage". Yes, that's.. very unique. Hooray.

In terms of dumbed down-ness, I mean stuff like archers not firing any further if they have the higher ground. The ridiculous movement speeds. I swear if infantry had wings they would lift off. The incredible accuracy and lethality of the archers was insane as well. A group of god knows how many archers firing at a single man inside the fort, over walls, and every arrow landing within a square meter or so. I guess I just found it really arcadey.

I don't know how much mods have changed this and how the expansion/patches have affected this, but the state of the vanilla game has to account for something.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Iceshade posted:

I played Shogun 2 for a few days before I realised it was really dumb and dumbed down.

I'm honestly very curious why you feel that way, because if anything Shogun 2 is the best designed Total War in the entire series, both in terms of integration and in underlying mechanics. Especially since you seem to be comparing it to Empire, the objectively worst designed and executed game in the entire series (It's probably a better game than the original Shogun 1 on pure technical merits, but given the relative maturity of the genres at their release and the state of games at the time, it is).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Iceshade posted:

I just found S2 to be kinda lacking in diversity (well, I guess they were all Japanese all following the same rules and things), and the faction-specific units were just "[faction-name] Archers. +1 range +1 damage". Yes, that's.. very unique. Hooray.

In terms of dumbed down-ness, I mean stuff like archers not firing any further if they have the higher ground. The ridiculous movement speeds. I swear if infantry had wings they would lift off. The incredible accuracy and lethality of the archers was insane as well. A group of god knows how many archers firing at a single man inside the fort, over walls, and every arrow landing within a square meter or so. I guess I just found it really arcadey.

I don't know how much mods have changed this and how the expansion/patches have affected this, but the state of the vanilla game has to account for something.

Well I got news for you, most of what you mentioned is already fixed with a billion mini mods and total conversions. Download them and give Shogun 2 another try.

It is worth giving it a new chance as in the next 6 months we'll hopefully be seeing the first betas of some proper Total Conversion/Rehauls of the game now they opened it to modding.

And Fall Of The Samurai is loving worth it. If you loved Napoleon you'll certainly enjoy it. Buy it on sale if you can still afford it then download some of the Workshop mods that add diverse artillery and Naval fixes then have fun playing the Japanese Civil War.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

shalcar posted:

I'm honestly very curious why you feel that way, because if anything Shogun 2 is the best designed Total War in the entire series, both in terms of integration and in underlying mechanics. Especially since you seem to be comparing it to Empire, the objectively worst designed and executed game in the entire series (It's probably a better game than the original Shogun 1 on pure technical merits, but given the relative maturity of the genres at their release and the state of games at the time, it is).

Best designed? It had its merits, but just felt too arcadey. Yes, it played quite smoothly and noticed very few bugs. The multiplayer campaign worked fine (miraculously), though it still suffered from desync bugs. Empire had style, a large campaign map and diverse factions. It was a terrible game when you consider the state it was in, and they needed to patch the AI's behaviour to actually do naval invasions (:downs:), but it was fun. It was a good setting. NTW was a much better executed game, but it lacked the diversity of ETW.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I got news for you, most of what you mentioned is already fixed with a billion mini mods and total conversions. Download them and give Shogun 2 another try.

It is worth giving it a new chance as in the next 6 months we'll hopefully be seeing the first betas of some proper Total Conversion/Rehauls of the game now they opened it to modding.

And Fall Of The Samurai is loving worth it. If you loved Napoleon you'll certainly enjoy it. Buy it on sale if you can still afford it then download some of the Workshop mods that add diverse artillery and Naval fixes then have fun playing the Japanese Civil War.

Okay, cheers. I'll have a look out for some good mods. I tried some mods a few months after release, but they were still in a very early stage and not worth it. I canned the game afterwards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

By diversity, I assume you mean the choice of factions instead of units?

Because unit wise NTW trumped ETW, especially in appearince.

What I'm saying is the Empire Total War UI and game art guys should really feel ashamed at how lazy they were.

quote:

Okay, cheers. I'll have a look out for some good mods. I tried some mods a few months after release, but they were still in a very early stage and not worth it. I canned the game afterwards.

Try the Japanese Shogun 2 spin off of The Rights Of Man. They seem to be the most focused 'old school Total War' realism kind of guys out there.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Iceshade posted:

Japan was (and still is, really) a relatively small nation with a monolithic culture and national attitudes. It's unsurprising that each faction would have access to almost completely the same units, with small bonuses for regional specialities. Would it have really changed the game all that much if each clan had different units but they were slightly modified (+1 range, +1 attack, -2 defence for clan A on swordsmen, +5 charge, +1 speed, -1 morale for clan B for swordsman) in a way that simple modifiers to [faction name] Unit wouldn't? Obviously not, since the only way to have enough unit varation like you want is to have nearly a million carbon copy units with minor stat changes (Hello empire!).

Iceshade posted:

Archers might not fire further on higher ground (A limitation from the Warscape engine designed to deal with guns, hello empire!), but the impact velocity is correctly modelled from height differences, increasing the lethality for archers with higher ground over their lower standing cousins. You argue that archer lethality was stupidly high, yet you *also* complain about archer lethality not being high enough in certain situations. It's not intended that you empty entire forts with your archers and never risk your melee troops (for all the threat a single man would be), so you only have your own OCD to blame for the fact that you don't take the faster yet equally effective option of storming the walls after skirmishing and pressing your ranged advantage, especially with the reinforcement system making the minor casualties moot.

If you find units run too fast, turn the game down to half speed. The battles are faster and more fluid to make your attention to certain sections more critical and to punish huge stacks of cheap troops for human players by forcing them to allocate their own limited attention to critical areas, which means the computer can occasionally catch you on the hop. It also drastically reduces the time it takes for armies to meet in the field, which does nothing but save a few minutes every fight, which works out to hours of time actually doing fun things (playing the game, not watching two armies march at each other).

Iceshade posted:

Vanilla was perfectly fine bar a few bugs, almost all of which have been addressed in patches. Total War was never a grognardy combat sim, for all that everything was buried in a million stats that interrelated in nearly impossible to understand ways. The fact that they streamlined Total War in Shogun 2 so much has meant that the game is significantly more accessible, more fun and more respected. Thinking the men run too fast or that your archers don't gain a tiny amount of extra range on higher ground is somehow enough of a dealbreaker for you to write the game off so completely I find rather baffling.

e:

Iceshade posted:

Best designed? It had its merits, but just felt too arcadey. Yes, it played quite smoothly and noticed very few bugs. The multiplayer campaign worked fine (miraculously), though it still suffered from desync bugs. Empire had style, a large campaign map and diverse factions. It was a terrible game when you consider the state it was in, and they needed to patch the AI's behaviour to actually do naval invasions (:downs:), but it was fun. It was a good setting. NTW was a much better executed game, but it lacked the diversity of ETW.

So really your main complaint is that you liked the Age of Sail over Sengoku Jidai. That's fine, but it's really no reason to act like Shogun 2 is a terrible game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No, each Total War game is better designed than the last.

What Shogun 2 does is fix the castle/province building balance and the build screen, as well as make it much easier to see unit stats when you need to (ie. actually in battle).

Also it's a bit rich to complain about unit diversity in Shogun when the reality of Empire/Napoleon is that everything is Line Infantry.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

SeanBeansShako posted:

By diversity, I assume you mean the choice of factions instead of units?

Because unit wise NTW trumped ETW, especially in appearince.

What I'm saying is the Empire Total War UI and game art guys should really feel ashamed at how lazy they were.

Try the Japanese Shogun 2 spin off of The Rights Of Man. They seem to be the most focused 'old school Total War' realism kind of guys out there.

RTW was the most diverse, if you ask me. From weird rear end barbarian head hurlers to cataphracts. It made fighting every faction a different thing.

Sure, in ETW and NTW you had lots of line infantry, but there was some cool variation between cavalry and ridiculous equipment like puckle guns and those Ottoman organ-things. And then there were the Indians. Made things a bit more interesting.

That's a lot of words. I never said the game is terrible, it's a good game. I just found the setting and atmosphere to be lacking, and those little details make me feel the game has been streamlined too much. But I hear mods and the expansion changes this around.

Alchenar posted:

Also it's a bit rich to complain about unit diversity in Shogun when the reality of Empire/Napoleon is that everything is Line Infantry.

Yeah that's just not true. Not in ETW. NTW, agreed; the differences in line infantry stats are minor and cannons fire shells. That's why I said: ETW with the quality of NTW would have been so much better, imo.

e: You can also take the native americans into account but let's not go there.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 2, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The irony is that NTW massively increased ship diversity in naval battles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

From what I can recall, ETW is pretty diverse especially with the DLC. In the terms of 18th and early 19th century warfare. Sadly outside of mods all you'd use is the professional line or Grenadiers because of the stats.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Alchenar posted:

The irony is that NTW massively increased ship diversity in naval battles.

Did it? I can't recall if NTW had very different ship mechanics from ETW, but ETW had Galleys (with oars :allears:, suck it, wind). Fluyts, rocket and bomb ships. I guess it also had Dhows and indiamen, but you wouldn't use those for combat. Or would you? :v:

I guess in contrast NTW added more (reliable) steam ships. ETW and NTW both had carronade frigates.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NTW fleshed out the different ship-of-the-line and frigate types, which are the ones everyone actually used.

e: SeanBeansShako kinda hits it - I don't count unit variety if units exist never to actually be used seriously

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Personally I think each Total War since Rome has been a step forward in atmospherics and representation of the setting (Rome was weirdly anodyne after the very atmospheric Medieval 1). Shogun 2 is probably the best representation of that, with all the Japanese-influenced artwork and the excellent soundwork.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I would have loved to used the lighter skirmisher/melee units more for the Native Americans/Colonial Territories/Ottomans/Indian factions more but my experinces with them were so dire in vanilla ETW I barely touched them.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
It was a while ago, but I never touched any Americas territory or campaigns again after playing the introduction campaign. I was murdering the axe-equipped natives with my muskets that didn't have bayonets (royal clubbin') and was getting absolutely pasted by their flimsy hunting bow and arrows made from the nearest branch and leg tendons.

Again, the setting and potential was there, but it needed an overhaul to make it a quality game. I have no idea what the current state of ETW is, and how mods fix it.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 2, 2013

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

From what I can recall, ETW is pretty diverse especially with the DLC. In the terms of 18th and early 19th century warfare. Sadly outside of mods all you'd use is the professional line or Grenadiers because of the stats.

Some of the more esoteric units had their uses. Cavalry and light infantry always had their uses, and when tangling with the French in America I got good use out of sneaky Native units out on the flanks. And cannons wih canister were monsters. But yea, the vast bulk of armies were line infantry. Which is historically accurate I guess.

Shogun 2 didn't have a huge diversity at launch but between DLC and the Radious mod my current campaign game has an almost ridiculous amount of unit types. Fast-moving Wako pirates, Ninja units with kisho training that lets them deploy almost anywhere, European troops with pike and shot, musketeer cavalry, monk musketeers, stealthy nuns (nunjas! :iamafag:) and more besides. It's at the point where I often have no idea what to use. Plus the two DLC campaigns add a lot of variety too. I'm also playing a Fall campaign where I have an entire stack of nothing but British troops :britain:

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

MadJackMcJack posted:

Shogun 2 didn't have a huge diversity at launch but between DLC and the Radious mod my current campaign game has an almost ridiculous amount of unit types. Fast-moving Wako pirates, Ninja units with kisho training that lets them deploy almost anywhere, European troops with pike and shot, musketeer cavalry, monk musketeers, stealthy nuns (nunjas! :iamafag:) and more besides. It's at the point where I often have no idea what to use. Plus the two DLC campaigns add a lot of variety too. I'm also playing a Fall campaign where I have an entire stack of nothing but British troops :britain:

Now that sounds more like it! :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

Some of the more esoteric units had their uses. Cavalry and light infantry always had their uses, and when tangling with the French in America I got good use out of sneaky Native units out on the flanks. And cannons wih canister were monsters. But yea, the vast bulk of armies were line infantry. Which is historically accurate I guess.

Oh they had their uses, It is just their morale or damage stats were a little too badly done to be majorly useful. And once you got the money for it the bland but reliable line, medium cav and mobile artillery army pretty much retired them from anything but garrison duty.

At least they looked nice. One thing that annoyies me with ETW Line/Shock Troops is that for some insane reason CA didn't have a Marius-esqe reform around 1770 and changed the code so that all line and Guards wore the more modern uniforms. They must have had something planned like this as all the Western DLC soldiers are dressed up in late 18th century kit.

Also, the loving Marines christ.

Has anyone done a NTW campaign UI mod that replaces the non General stack sprite to look like a 19th century soldier or general yet?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Iceshade posted:

Now that sounds more like it! :v:

Radious mod is needed for a really massive diversity since in addition to all the units it adds it also removes the faction limitations from the faction-specific units that the DLCs added, so for example the Hojo Hand Mortars or the Date Bulletproof Samurai can now be used by everyone (although the original faction still gets an improved version). Plus it lets you form trade missions with all three nations in Fall, so you can have British, French and US troops all at the same time (suppose you could say the same for ships, but the British ship outclasses everything else by such a large margin it's ridiculous).

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I noticed the Ikko-Ikki in Radious can recruit normal Samurai, which spoils it a wee bit for me. Are their stats worse than normal in any way?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just noticed Total War is on sale and was wondering what the best way for a franchise newbie to get into it would be. Should I get the base Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai? Is there any must have DLC?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any must have DLC?

No.

A word of warning: the online MP in Shogun 2/FotS is a giant, broken, unplayable mess of poo poo, so if that's your primary interest, don't bother - or else join the goon group and only play classic battles.

After that, it boils down to what historical period you like most; all of them bar Empire are pretty great in SP (and even Empire isn't that bad). If you like the medieval era, get Med 2 (Med 2 also has a fair few great mods, like a LotR one or one that moves the focus of the action to the Middle-East). If you like the Roman era, get Rome. If you like muskets and cannons, get Napoleon. If you like samurai, get Shogun 2. If you like samurai with muskets and cannons, get Fall of the Samurai (it's an expandalone, not a proper expansion).

For what it's worth, I'd say the most newbie-friendly one is probably Shogun 2, since it's the one with the cleanest design - but don't let that influence you away from picking a historical era you like.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thanks for the advice. I'm primarily interested in SP and I'm a huge nerdlinger who thinks Samurai are cool so I got Shogun 2. Holy poo poo 20 gigs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm primarily interested in SP and I'm a huge nerdlinger who thinks Samurai are cool so I got Shogun 2. Holy poo poo 20 gigs.

That's because there's full cross compatibility for all the Shogun 2 stuff. You're installing Shogun 2, Rise of the Samurai, Fall of the Samurai, and all the other little stuff inbetween. If you were to go buy Fall of the Samurai right now, you'd only download a few more megabytes.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No.

A word of warning: the online MP in Shogun 2/FotS is a giant, broken, unplayable mess of poo poo, so if that's your primary interest, don't bother - or else join the goon group and only play classic battles.

After that, it boils down to what historical period you like most; all of them bar Empire are pretty great in SP (and even Empire isn't that bad). If you like the medieval era, get Med 2 (Med 2 also has a fair few great mods, like a LotR one or one that moves the focus of the action to the Middle-East). If you like the Roman era, get Rome. If you like muskets and cannons, get Napoleon. If you like samurai, get Shogun 2. If you like samurai with muskets and cannons, get Fall of the Samurai (it's an expandalone, not a proper expansion).

For what it's worth, I'd say the most newbie-friendly one is probably Shogun 2, since it's the one with the cleanest design - but don't let that influence you away from picking a historical era you like.

Shogun 2 MP certainly has its issues, but its still quite fun and has a lot going for it. Tons of units to choose from, quick matchmaking, fast matches, lots of lovely players you can beat up on.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 3, 2013

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

(Med 2 also has a fair few great mods, like a LotR one or one that moves the focus of the action to the Middle-East)

:crossarms:
(Sorry, I thought that was funny).

To contribute to Medieval 2 mod suggestions,Stainless Steel is often recommended in the Med 2 thread.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Should have been around before they compressed some of that data son.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Is it possible to do regular battles without the avatar crap on shogun 2? Just want to play some rounds with a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

queeb posted:

Is it possible to do regular battles without the avatar crap on shogun 2? Just want to play some rounds with a friend.

There is a way, it's just very unintuitive. Here are the steps...

1) Go to "avatar battles" (if it's the first time it may force you through some crap).

2) Hit the "battle list" button. It's with the other options above the map and looks like a scroll.

3) Host a game, during the creation process there should be an option to specify "avatar battle" or "classic battle".

4) Select "classic battle" and host the match.

You are now playing Shogun 2 in a form that doesn't make a new player want to commit suicide!