Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

xopods posted:

Isn't losing the Province race just the same as losing? (Assuming no Colonies, of course, and that it isn't e.g. a Gardens/Fairgrounds kind of game.)

As for being unable to draw your Province and the Tournament at the same time, that just requires deck culling and/or hand management cards (Cartographer or whatever).

I think he's using the term to mean something like, the first person to get a Province in their deck. There definitely can be some luck involved in that (although in non-Tournament games it would usually be considered bad luck).

Though, it is possible to catch up with Duchies and Estates in extreme cases. 6 Provinces vs. 2 Provinces and 8 Duchies is a tie that could conceivably arise if your KC/Bridge megaturn goes off late, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'll get my hands on a copy of the first expansion for TI3, then. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to amend my order, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Innovation is now on isotropic at http://innovation.isotropic.org/.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

loving. Sweet.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

nelson posted:

Is this the one you were thinking of? We only got through one complete scenario and had to abandon the 2nd one half way through due to technical issues.

It's too bad that it fell apart. I'd love to see another LP, maybe where we got to do our own deckbuilding. I don't have the time to run it, but I'd certainly play :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I currently own Super Dungeon Explore, Castle Ravenloft, and Talisman. I'm finding it really cool to get all these miniatures to paint for really low $$$ per mini. It gives me a reason to own them even if I don't really play the game. Any other games out there with really cool miniatures for cheap? Preferably non-competitive games in case I do want to play them with friends.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

signalnoise posted:

I currently own Super Dungeon Explore, Castle Ravenloft, and Talisman. I'm finding it really cool to get all these miniatures to paint for really low $$$ per mini. It gives me a reason to own them even if I don't really play the game. Any other games out there with really cool miniatures for cheap? Preferably non-competitive games in case I do want to play them with friends.

The other two D&D adventure games, Zombicide. I'd recommend Descent 2nd edition, but if non-competitive is a criteria that pretty much kills most mini-based games.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's not a dead set criteria, just nice. Getting as far away from backstabbing as possible is nice.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

It's not a dead set criteria, just nice. Getting as far away from backstabbing as possible is nice.

Descent is one "dungeon master" type vs the rest of the players co-op. so there's no backstabbing, just 1 vs many.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Defenders of the Realm is a coop and has a bunch of minis to paint. They also have several expansions with even more and more minis. It's not a cheap game though.

Drakon's Lair also has some nice minis (8 heroes plus 1 dragon). I think its a $20-$30 game but the game play is kinda simple and meh. And it's a screw you competitive one too. The minis for this game are in the same scale as DotR which would make them easy fodder for custom variant heroes for that game.

Animosity
Aug 8, 2004

it's penguin time.

Lorini posted:

At long last, thanks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just played Trajan for the first time (I know, I know, late to the party). Good game. I think I like it more than the other Feld games I've played (Macao, Burgen burger burg), the mancala mechanic definitely created fun more-than-one-turn-ahead decisions, and I could certainly see playing it again. Plus, it was much shorter than some people had told me, definitely was sub-2 hours for a 3 player game, myself completely new to the game.

Also got to play Aton, an interesting not-quite-abstract 2-player game. Definitely not that much staying power, but I enjoyed the game.

New Years Eve, got to play Alien Frontiers again, I'm definitely enjoying the game plenty for the $25 I just got it for. Also played The World Cup Game, which is a funny game-theory game with the soccer/football world cup theme. Not terribly deep, but fun and I'm glad we got a copy as a wedding present. :3:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

...the hell did you find Alien Frontiers for 25 bucks? I can't find it anywhere cheaper than 50. :argh:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

mongol posted:

It's too bad that it fell apart. I'd love to see another LP, maybe where we got to do our own deckbuilding. I don't have the time to run it, but I'd certainly play :)
Indeed. One of the advantages of using just the core cards is the person running it doesn't have to buy anything else. Using mono-color decks seemed to encourage cooperation a bit more as well. At any rate, I did enjoy the game while it lasted and would look forward to playing again.

PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!

PaybackJack posted:

Coolstuff is free shipping for orders over $100 to anywhere in the lower 48 states. Their prices are better than most retail stores I saw in the US.

Man I've been stressing all this time over a deal that doesn't even apply to me. yay

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Carteret posted:

...the hell did you find Alien Frontiers for 25 bucks? I can't find it anywhere cheaper than 50. :argh:

I'm guessing silvergoose bought it used off someone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does anyone here have any experience with the Innovation 2v2 variant rules? The game sounds really loving cool, but my group really doesn't love 2-player games that much (weird, considering their TCG pedigree), and we'd mostly be playing with 3-4 people which apparently isn't Innovation's strong point. I'm gonna play a few more test games on Isotropic before I commit, but if there's really no way to play gracefully with 4 people I might just not bother.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I am really impressed by the LackeyCCG (FFG approved) online version of LoTR LCG. I can play alone, but it is very very well done. Awesome.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Recieved and played some boardgames the past two weeks:

Mage Knight. Only played the introduction scenario with two. I really like it so far, and don't think it's really all that complicated (maybe playing tabletop miniature games for 10 years helped a bit). I have several friends who'd really enjoy the game as well, but I'm not sure if playing a four player game will be as enjoyable as a two player game. Most of my friends tend to take their time when it's their turn... Is three player doable?

Lords of Waterdeep. I wanted this game for a while now, a lighter worker placement game than Dungeon Lords. Played two 2-player games and enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing it with more players, the 2player game can get a bit too competitive and we both had the feeling if someone gets a high value quest in the beginning, the second player just limps behind (we both lost and won one game). But that's probably just due to our inexperience with the game.

Shadows over Camelot. Our group really digs the theme and we enjoy cooperative games, but after a four player game most of them left the table a little underwhelmed. Everyone had the feeling their actions were more or less futile and some quests seemed doomed from the start. I think we just need to work together more, and focus on one or two quests at a time. But still, it seemed to go on too long for a game where you just move or take an action every turn. We had one player who tried to not lose the Grail Quest and he said most of the game for him was playing grail cards at the quest and returning to Camelot to get more cards. We'll give it another go soon though.

Space Alert. Our 3rd time, but last session was several months ago, so we played some introductory simulations. Fun was had by all. I hope our next session won't wait for another half year, so we can add the expansion set.

So anyway, I'm looking for some more games I can play with my girlfriend, I prefer some cooperative games. I was thinking of Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island. Any thoughts on that? Is Android: Netrunner enjoyable for people who never really played card games like Magic? How is the re-playability of Mice and Mystics? We both like thematic games and she digs the mice.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

nelson posted:

Is this the one you were thinking of? We only got through one complete scenario and had to abandon the 2nd one half way through due to technical issues.

That's the one, thanks!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

nelson posted:

Indeed. One of the advantages of using just the core cards is the person running it doesn't have to buy anything else. Using mono-color decks seemed to encourage cooperation a bit more as well. At any rate, I did enjoy the game while it lasted and would look forward to playing again.

This is true. I'm starting an IRL version with some gaming buddies, but I'm using more cards (I have core x2, JtR, KD, WitW, FoS, and UHaOH) to start, then adding more APs as we go.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I am really impressed by the LackeyCCG (FFG approved) online version of LoTR LCG. I can play alone, but it is very very well done. Awesome.

I haven't used Lackey, but from the videos I've watched I prefer the interface of OCTGN. The only issue with it is, as Xyr implied, it isn't FFG approved because they don't always wait 6 month to upload new cards.

I limit myself to the cards I physically own, and it's definitely my preferred solo method.

Lot of LOTR LCG talk. Does it merit its own thread?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

mongol posted:

Lot of LOTR LCG talk. Does it merit its own thread?

Or maybe an LCGs thread? The Netrunner thread is busy enough but I'd like somewhere to talk about the new Star Wars game.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Valiant Pudding posted:

Recieved and played some boardgames the past two weeks:

Mage Knight. Only played the introduction scenario with two. I really like it so far, and don't think it's really all that complicated (maybe playing tabletop miniature games for 10 years helped a bit). I have several friends who'd really enjoy the game as well, but I'm not sure if playing a four player game will be as enjoyable as a two player game. Most of my friends tend to take their time when it's their turn... Is three player doable?

Four player games can take a while, but it's also a really fun and satisfying thing to do something like a four player full conquest game. In general, assuming you aren't using PvP, everyone can pretty much take their turns simultaneously. If something goes down that sort of prevents that, you can also essentially plan out your turn well in advance of it coming up. Most of the time the actions another player takes are only relevant if you're in really close proximity of one another on the map and competing over encounters. For me and my friends what takes the longest is when an unexplored location produces an unexpectedly hard fight, in which case we usually just say "give me a second to talk this through" at which point if you know which mana die you're using you can go ahead and reroll it and let everyone else get on with their turns.

In short yeah three player is perfectly fine once you're all comfortable with the rules and trust each other to conduct your respective fights correctly

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

tonedef131 posted:

3D Carcassone printed on a his 3D printer. It was pretty cool how he made the edges notched so you could only fit the pieces where they would legally play (for the most part anyway). Although randomly pulling textured tiles did make you question the honesty of someone pulling out that perfect piece at the last minuet, especially in a 5 player game.

Where do you get a 3D printer?

How much did it cost him to print out those tiles, not counting the cost of the printer itself?

I am so loving tempted to buy a 3d printer so I can make 3D tiles for Mage Knight. God that would be so awesome...

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 2, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VoodooXT posted:

I'm guessing silvergoose bought it used off someone.

Yup, leaped on a "selling these games" list, though I actually knew the guy selling. Definitely the best price I'd ever seen, even used (given there was no shipping costs).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dominion posted:

Or maybe an LCGs thread? The Netrunner thread is busy enough but I'd like somewhere to talk about the new Star Wars game.

There's a thread for it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

Where do you get a 3D printer?

How much did it cost him to print out those tiles, not counting the cost of the printer itself?

Can't speak for the poster you quoted but 3D printers aren't hard to find anymore, the Makerbot Replicator 2 is down to $2200 for a complete solution in a box, cheaper if you just buy the components and DIY the build and enclosure.

The plastic material goes for ~$60 per 1kg spool. I'd guess there's $10-15 worth of plastic in those Carc tiles.

This may be the year I break down and buy a 3D printer. I just need to figure out what I'd use it for besides making custom meeples and board game box inserts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I got to thinking about 7 Wonders and whether or not the Cities expansion changed the balance of the wonders. I originally started to think whether or not Petra was viable without Cities, since the money cards there make getting to 14 (on the B side) a lot easier, then I began to wonder about the reverse. Ephesus, for example, might be more powerful since money matters more, whereas Rome might find it more difficult to actually play out all its additional leaders. Even Rhodes might take a hit, since there are those costly but efficient military cards among the black cards, which could undermine its innate military advantage. Anyone with more experience than me notice any major differences among the different wonders?

Also, lightning deals on Dominion today. Dominion at 2 PM PST, Seaside at 3 PM PST, Prosperity at 4 PM PST, and Intrigue at 5 PM PST.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Anyone with more experience than me notice any major differences among the different wonders?

The random nature of the Cities cards you get mean that - especially with less players - you're not guaranteed to have any boards get meaningfully upset. I've played Petra just fine and had an absurdly good game without playing any black cards, mostly because people foolishly let me get a monopoly on yellow combined with two different sources of 'coins score again'. The only feature I've seen crop up over and over again is diplomacy, which seems to be pretty strongly desired amongst my group of players. I think we've only ever had to poke one or maybe two debt tokens out of the insert total.

e: If anything, people seem to generally end up with more money and resources, because many players use the extra card per age to shore up their standard colours.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 2, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lawen posted:

Can't speak for the poster you quoted but 3D printers aren't hard to find anymore, the Makerbot Replicator 2 is down to $2200 for a complete solution in a box, cheaper if you just buy the components and DIY the build and enclosure.

The plastic material goes for ~$60 per 1kg spool. I'd guess there's $10-15 worth of plastic in those Carc tiles.

This may be the year I break down and buy a 3D printer. I just need to figure out what I'd use it for besides making custom meeples and board game box inserts.

Yeah, I'm looking into it now and the RepRapPro Huxley which looks like a solid machine ships assembled for $600USD. That's not a large surface area to print, but I think it would be fine for stuff like 3d Tiles, for Carc you'd just print at 2x2 instead of 3x3 but that's not something I would be interested in anyway.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Orange Devil posted:

There's a thread for it.

For the LCG? I could only find the one for the minis game.

DPW
Oct 2, 2004

O Bother.
Ok I have some questions one were I should aim for games.

First A list of what I have.

Basics-Chess/Checkers/Go/Chinese Checkers/Backgamma/Yahtzee/Risk/Stratego/ASL/Scrabble.

Settlers of Catan-5-6 and going to get the Barbarion and traders xpac since someone bought me the 5-6 player xpac for it.
(Very popular in my group)

Carcassonne with Traders and Builders and Inns and Catherdral.
(Very popular but the Xpac's make the game to long in our opinion.

Scattergories.
(I love wife hates)

Munckins All Cthulhu and Zombie sets.
(We love my wife hates)

Castle Panic.
(We finally beat it, but we have alpha players so some people end up sitting back

Dixit.
(Everyone loves)

Gloom.
(I love everyone hates :( I get really into the story telling part)

Fluxx Stoner and Cthulhu.
(Only one game so far so verdict still out)

Now appeasing the wife is important and I was think Puerto Rico or Agricola since they are like settlers mixed with Farmville. I would also like to get the Barbarians and traders xpac for settlers just cause I have the 5-6 player set. And a friend loves cards against humanity which is our night finisher but its boring me so I need something to replace that. I am open to any suggestions and if you need more info let me know. Group varies from 5-8 so I have to be ready for bigger games (Bought and painted extra Meeples for Carcassonne just for that reason)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Did a search for it and did not see anything in here about it, what is the verdict on the Space Hulk card game that came out a bit ago?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

Did a search for it and did not see anything in here about it, what is the verdict on the Space Hulk card game that came out a bit ago?

Death Angel? I heard it was best as a solo game. My friend who likes it plays it solo all the time, but said whenever he played it with more people it wasn't as good and one person usually quarterbacked the whole thing/ the moves were pretty obvious so adding more players what just adding more people to socialize with while you 'watched' the game play out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I assume you mean "Death Angel". It seemed to have some real design problems: not a lot of interesting decisions, and a lot of "cascading luck". If you get behind early (often just due to bad rolls) it feeds on itself, and you get worked. If things go well early, you stay ahead and walk through the game. The right decisions are usually pretty clear, so it's not like you can play well to "catch up". Lastly, the abilities really aren't balanced - there's ones you'll use as often as you can and others we never found a real use for.

To be fair, we didn't play it much before giving up - and lots of people do like it. But I think they like it as a "let's see what crazy stuff happens" game. To me, it seems like that kind of experience would be much more fun with miniatures rather than abstract "hallways" made out of cards (ie. I can stand Mice & Mystics, even though it rarely has much decision making, because the theme is fun and you move little mice around).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Strange question: Are there any cards in Epic Spell Wars that are overpowered and should be left in the box? I remember hearing talk that one or two of them kind of were?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The only one a few people in my group consider not-fun is the one that can steal the delivery of people who haven't acted yet. The rest are perhaps overpowered but fun.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wouldn't worry about anything being too overpowered. I haven't run into any that I felt were unbalanced, but I haven't played a ton. Worst case, they have a really good turn. It's not like you can repeat some busted combo over and over.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

GrandpaPants posted:

I got to thinking about 7 Wonders and whether or not the Cities expansion changed the balance of the wonders. I originally started to think whether or not Petra was viable without Cities, since the money cards there make getting to 14 (on the B side) a lot easier, then I began to wonder about the reverse. Ephesus, for example, might be more powerful since money matters more, whereas Rome might find it more difficult to actually play out all its additional leaders. Even Rhodes might take a hit, since there are those costly but efficient military cards among the black cards, which could undermine its innate military advantage. Anyone with more experience than me notice any major differences among the different wonders?

Also, lightning deals on Dominion today. Dominion at 2 PM PST, Seaside at 3 PM PST, Prosperity at 4 PM PST, and Intrigue at 5 PM PST.

I got the base game and Intrigue for Christmas. Is it too soon to get Seaside and/or Prosperity? I don't have a solid enough game group to play through the two sets I already have I would say.

edit: also, do people put their cards in sleeves like they do with Magic cards? Any other recommendations on storing the cards?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

KingKapalone posted:

I got the base game and Intrigue for Christmas. Is it too soon to get Seaside and/or Prosperity? I don't have a solid enough game group to play through the two sets I already have I would say.

edit: also, do people put their cards in sleeves like they do with Magic cards? Any other recommendations on storing the cards?

Eh, it's unlikely they'll go significantly below CSI's regular price (~$26). I wouldn't worry about it personally.

• Locked thread