Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you guys loved that, you'll love this:
http://jalopnik.com/5971289/for-9500-is-this-mustang-a-pony-express

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't love either, but I would roll both of them into a ditch if you let me borrow them for driving in the blizzard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

And it's ugly, too.

The only thing wrong with it is that hatch setup - the version here looks fine, in an over-the-top '80s way:

If I'd won the Powerball, I'd buy it. Maybe just to piss you all off. :getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

frozenphil posted:

Hydroplaning is just one of those things that you can't do much about, really. You can try to prevent it by driving for the conditions and you can try to correct it, but most of the time once you start you're pretty much along for the ride.

The 245-section tires on (at least my) Mustang don't really help when it comes to avoiding hydroplane, but I can't really fault it for having ample rubber.

Here on the wet slope of the Cascades, it's pretty much the norm. The 225s on my (same-weight) Ranger aren't as bad, but surprise lakes still make me pucker from time to time.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

clutchpuck posted:

The 245-section tires on (at least my) Mustang don't really help when it comes to avoiding hydroplane, but I can't really fault it for having ample rubber.

Here on the wet slope of the Cascades, it's pretty much the norm. The 225s on my (same-weight) Ranger aren't as bad, but surprise lakes still make me pucker from time to time.

I live in Portland and I don't have a problem with my 245s. Maybe look into better tires? The old Goodyear GS-D3s where loving phenomenal in the wet.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

I like how the dominator seller doesnt even know the correct engine size it has in it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

frozenphil posted:

I live in Portland and I don't have a problem with my 245s. Maybe look into better tires? The old Goodyear GS-D3s where loving phenomenal in the wet.

The Toyo Proxes 4s on it now seem to get good wet traction marks for original replacements but I'm sure they aren't as good as they could be. They're getting close to the markers too so I'm definitely going to look for different ones this spring; I don't think I can get the same tires anymore.

The GS-D3s, though apparently discontinued, are listed as summer tires which leads me to a question about that; how seriously would you pay attention to the "not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice" language? I simply don't drive in the snow so I don't need to consider that bit, but the temperature does dip below freezing in the winter when the clouds blow away...

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Are the '13s a lot more expensive than the '11s? I'm having a hell of a time getting even close to as good a deal as I did back then.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

The Toyo Proxes 4s on it now seem to get good wet traction marks for original replacements but I'm sure they aren't as good as they could be. They're getting close to the markers too so I'm definitely going to look for different ones this spring; I don't think I can get the same tires anymore.

The GS-D3s, though apparently discontinued, are listed as summer tires which leads me to a question about that; how seriously would you pay attention to the "not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice" language? I simply don't drive in the snow so I don't need to consider that bit, but the temperature does dip below freezing in the winter when the clouds blow away...

Yeah, they were pretty spotty in the cold for sure. I had them when I lived in Alabama so it wasn't a real big concern for me then. I'm running some lovely Goodyear GTs or some such now, but they seem to do fine. I have more issues with the hosed up grooved to poo poo roads because of morons running studded tires for absolutely no reason than I do with hydroplaning in puddles.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

clutchpuck posted:

I made it through three Vancouver winters on a set of Falken Azenis RT215's (these guys) in 245/45R17 on my 1995 Mustang. They weren't too bad in the wet, a bit sketchy when the temperature went below zero, and completely useless and totally dangerous when there was any sort of white on the ground. If you take it easy you should be fine, but don't push it if the weather looks like it's going to take a turn for the worse.

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

Q_res posted:

What? A 90-93 LX Notch is the best looking Fox-body Stang next to an SVO, I don't know how you can be so wrong about this... :mad:

Not to be nitpicky, but that body style goes back to '87.
I love those, but for some reason I hate the way the SVO looks... would love to own one though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

AtomicBomber posted:

Not to be nitpicky, but that body style goes back to '87.

There a subtle differences in the 90-93 cars in terms of trim.

Here's an LX Notchback

Now here's a 92 LX Notchback

So, I'm well aware that it goes back to 87. I was just making a distinction I honestly didn't think I'd have to explain.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 28, 2012

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Didn't the 90/91's still have the black rub strip?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Maybe? It's a popular mod and it's not exactly easy to find stock Fox bodies any more, maybe it was only a 92-93 thing.

Before this becomes a huge, stupid derail this is for sale on my local Craigslist.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3492437497.html

That seems like a really good price for a clean and rare car.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Today I took the car to the dealer to pay $108 rip off dollars to have a broken key reprogrammed so I can start my drat car.

UPDATE - The Dealer called key is now 240 dollars because the chip is damaged. I get to buy a new key and have the luxury of being charged for an hour of labor while a new key is cut and a laptop sits in the odbii port for 10 whole minutes! Im getting charged almost $250 bucks for a drat key!

While I was at the dealer though, they did have this particular 2013 Mustang Boss 302s for sale, for an affordable $169,000.

kalvick fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 28, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You sure are mad about that.

I ordered the lights I mentioned earlier in the thread, will post updates once they arrive.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kalvick posted:

While I was at the dealer though, they did have this particular 2013 Mustang Boss 302s for sale, for an affordable $169,000.

That's a goddamned deal for what it is, though.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So, I'm having an issue with my 2012 V6 manual. It doesn't seem like a big deal right now, but I want to ask just in case it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

Here's the run down: Whenever I fuel up (and as of right now, only when I fuel up) my car will have a very hard time idling until after I drive it for a while. The tach will bounce around and then drop super low and the car will almost stall out. I took a video of the idle where you can see what I'm talking about.

Rough Idle

If anyone has and ideas on what is going on and if it's serious, I'd appreciate it.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

Rabble posted:

So, I'm having an issue with my 2012 V6 manual. It doesn't seem like a big deal right now, but I want to ask just in case it's a symptom of a bigger problem.

Here's the run down: Whenever I fuel up (and as of right now, only when I fuel up) my car will have a very hard time idling until after I drive it for a while. The tach will bounce around and then drop super low and the car will almost stall out. I took a video of the idle where you can see what I'm talking about.

Rough Idle

If anyone has and ideas on what is going on and if it's serious, I'd appreciate it.

What octane are you using? I doubt this would have much to do with it, but I ran 89 (all I could get in the middle of nowhere) a few weeks ago and it ran like absolute garbage at idle in my GT.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

kalvick posted:

Oh yeah, talk dirty to me, baby. Tell me what your gear ratio is. Are you at operating temperature yet? I am.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

kalvick posted:

I would get in so much trouble with that car. It's only not-street-legal if they catch you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Simple question for you guys. Got a convertible rental. Do the cigarette lighter ports ever turn off?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Simple question for you guys. Got a convertible rental. Do the cigarette lighter ports ever turn off?

Pretty sure the wire is constant hot.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Yep, they are fused always on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's weird for an accessory outlet, especially one in the armrest. One of those Ford things like not having a real wiper stalk I guess.

Nice car though, can't complain about 305hp even if the auto tries to keep it in the highest gear possible. Will the next iteration of the dashboard still be retro or are they going to make it more legible? The speedometer goes to 160 but because it's a semicircle it's hard to see the smaller gradients. Nitpicky, I know.

Anyways, here are some pictures.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Exactly the experience I had with my V6/auto rental. Very decent engine, ruined by terrible transmission programming, with Essentially no way around it. It just wants to get to top gear ASAP no matter how fast you are going.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

Exactly the experience I had with my V6/auto rental. Very decent engine, ruined by terrible transmission programming, with Essentially no way around it. It just wants to get to top gear ASAP no matter how fast you are going.

Ford, we build EPA mileage rigged cars, oh I meant excitement!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

The manual ones you can buy don't have that problem, they're much better than rentals.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Ford, we build EPA mileage rigged cars, oh I meant excitement!

No honest man needs to be out of overdrive at 30mph. :v:

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
How come the V6 gets so much hate whenever its mentioned in mustang chats? It seems like a really good deal if you cant afford a V8. Where are you gonna get a ~300hp coupe for less than 40k after tax? I just cant see a downside here. By the way, cant you manually control the shifts on the automatic mustangs? There should be a little button on the side of the shifter.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The old V6 Mustangs used to be complete trash. The new V6 Mustang is basically an American Nissan Z and there's noting wrong with that, but the V8 MUSCLECAR sigma remains.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

By the way, cant you manually control the shifts on the automatic mustangs? There should be a little button on the side of the shifter.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's an option that the rental fleet buyers specifically request is removed.

ultimateforce posted:

The old V6 Mustangs used to be complete trash. The new V6 Mustang is basically an American Nissan Z and there's noting wrong with that, but the V8 MUSCLECAR sigma remains.

Yep on all counts; it's because the V6 Mustang was always the 'secretary's car'. Even the four-cylinder Mustangs have more go-fast parts than older V6 cars, and there was the SVO turbo four to give it a little credibility.

It's a little hard to undo 40+ years of habitually writing off a Mustang without a V8 (and especially without a V8 and without a turbo) as being an underperformer. But the new V6 makes more power than every Mustang II and Foxbody, and nearly every SN95 / early S197. For that matter, probably also more actual horsepower than most of the first-generation cars thanks to the rating differences.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
A new V6 Mustang would walk my SN95 5.0, but at least I GOT A V8.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there a good reason the Mustang automatic doesn't have flappy paddles? I mean, loving Hyundai's putting it in their cars, and Ford has put it in a lot of their other cars as well. Why not provide the economy-tuned auto transmission, but allow the driver more control if they want to have a bit of fun.

How "bad" is the tuning in the automatic transmission? Assuming the ratios are the same as on the manual, I can't imagine it trying to shift into 6th below 80 km/h or so.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Ah skip the flappy paddles, lets get a dedicated sequential shifter in there, with auto-blip on downshifts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they're anything like the flappy paddles in my dad's C6, there's enough lag between "press button" and "find the gear you want" to make them useless in any function other than "oh, here's how you select anything other than PRND".

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

New Edge lights chat:

Got my new housings, installing them was a breeze (literally two pins on the back of each housing, plus the cables. Broke a pigtail :/)

Before:

After:

Uh, I think that's a bit more light:

Adjusting is easy, but took me a few tries to get right. They're amazing.

Also, every V6 rental I've driven has the manual control on the auto box, which works great - blips on downshift, downshifts quickly. Y'all are high.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

IOwnCalculus posted:

If they're anything like the flappy paddles in my dad's C6, there's enough lag between "press button" and "find the gear you want" to make them useless in any function other than "oh, here's how you select anything other than PRND".

Yeah, that's what the Camaro flappy paddles were like too. Just awful. The FR-S had really responsive paddles though, and that's a fairly inexpensive car. And of course my Dad's CLS shifts frighteningly goddamn fast, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled on flappy paddle gearboxes. It's difficult to go from a 6-spd manual to a 5-spd auto with a stunning amount of power; give what you think is a bit of gas and all of a sudden HOLY gently caress I'M GOING FAST. Using the paddles was necessary just to prevent unintentional downshifts, frankly.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

Also, every V6 rental I've driven has the manual control on the auto box, which works great - blips on downshift, downshifts quickly. Y'all are high.

Paddles are standard on the 2013 models, but I don't think 2012 autos even had the option for paddles. CharlesM rented a 2012: note the hood overhang, lack of HIDs, and complaints about the retro gauges when the 2013s have much more legible ones.

2013:

2012:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Paddles are standard on the 2013 models, but I don't think 2012 autos even had the option for paddles. CharlesM rented a 2012: note the hood overhang, lack of HIDs, and complaints about the retro gauges when the 2013s have much more legible ones.
Even the '12, though, has the PRND321, which works quite well and is what I was describing.