Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

ShadeofDante posted:

Troy Baker is pretty fantastic as Kanji. Especially with some of the new scenes added in P4G.

"Phero-mones..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I've got a question:

If you can reach and fight a boss early, before it even starts raining, should you do it? Currently I'm parked right outside the Kanji boss in the bath house and I almost beat him the first time. It's not even raining in the game world yet I basically went here the third day after the event started. Overall, should I wait until the last day to beat bosses, or can it be just fine to beat them early?
You should put off the December dungeon until a few days before the deadline (because you'll automatically skip to that point anyway if you do it early), but all the ones prior to that can be done the same day the dungeon becomes available if you wish.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There's no reason not to beat them early, and there are several reasons to beat them early. (For example: the Jester Social Link is only available if no one's in the TV, and I think the same applies to the Hierophant.)

So go ahead and take him down, if you can. I normally go in and finish dungeons in a single trip as soon as they're available, personally.

In the first game I always did the dungeon and the previous dungeon the first day they were available so I could spend the rest of the time on S.Links. This time though I've taken to waiting until the first rainy day to do all my dungeon crawling just so I can grab all the rare materials. Works out pretty well.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

U.T. Raptor posted:

You should put off the December dungeon until a few days before the deadline (because you'll automatically skip to that point anyway if you do it early), but all the ones prior to that can be done the same day the dungeon becomes available if you wish.

Just double checking here but I'm not forgetting something right?

Just got to Heaven in my game, this isn't considered the December dungeon right? I don't want to rush through this and miss out on a month's worth of free time...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ShadeofDante posted:

Just double checking here but I'm not forgetting something right?

Just got to Heaven in my game, this isn't considered the December dungeon right? I don't want to rush through this and miss out on a month's worth of free time...

That's the November dungeon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
April and December are the only two where you want to put off entering the TV until the last second, though it's harder in April's case since there is better chance you will need a couple of days to do it. All other dungeons are best completed the day they open up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

April and December are the only two where you want to put off entering the TV until the last second, though it's harder in April's case since there is better chance you will need a couple of days to do it. All other dungeons are best completed the day they open up.

Man, I clear out the April dungeon on the first day every time. :colbert: Frees up my party members for Social Links.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unlike most dungeons, you can do party S. Links before finishing that one. So it's theoretically worthwhile to put it off until the rainy days.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What day do I need to do the December dungeon by in order to not gently caress myself out of Christmas scenes with Chie?

I recall it being possible to botch that.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Captain Oblivious posted:

What day do I need to do the December dungeon by in order to not gently caress myself out of Christmas scenes with Chie?

I recall it being possible to botch that.

I'm pretty sure do it on the 22nd or before.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sub-buttle is my new favorite word.

I wanted to name my MC Travis Touchdown at first, but there wasn't enough space so I just named him Solid Snake. It was pretty funny when the PE teacher made a comment about not eating animals that hide behind a codename. He knows. :tinfoil:

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

CharlestonJew posted:

Sub-buttle is my new favorite word.

I wanted to name my MC Travis Touchdown at first, but there wasn't enough space so I just named him Solid Snake. It was pretty funny when the PE teacher made a comment about not eating animals that hide behind a codename. He knows. :tinfoil:
I actually asked what my character should be named and when the name I liked didn't work, I named him Blu Narukami. So yeah, I named him after an old video joke. No I am not proud of that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For my NG+ run, I went with Makoto Kirigiri. :v:

Seemed appropriate for someone who has to cut through the fog to find the truth.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

For my NG+ run, I went with Makoto Kirigiri. :v:

Seemed appropriate for someone who has to cut through the fog to find the truth.
It seems ironic just due to the games, Persona 4 Golden is what I would call the happiest game about murder ever and Dangan Ronpa is all about despair along with the murder.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
No matter what I name my character, he's still Charlie in my head.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I've seen at least three Charlie's through the SMS :allears:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So what's the deal with (class trip) the king's game scene in Escapade? Are Yukiko and Rise supposed to actually be drunk and Naoto's lines are some kind of ESRB safeguard or is it like that in the japanese too?. It's been bothering me the last few days for whatever reason.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sankis posted:

So what's the deal with (class trip) the king's game scene in Escapade? Are Yukiko and Rise supposed to actually be drunk and Naoto's lines are some kind of ESRB safeguard or is it like that in the japanese too?. It's been bothering me the last few days for whatever reason.

It's the same in the anime, so it's not new to the US version. I'd guess it's pretty much what you're saying, except with the Japenese rating board. I'm not familiar with it, but it's not hard to imagine underaged drinking would be frowned upon.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sankis posted:

It's the same in Japanese--there's even a kind of humerous moment durng an interview where the interviewer asks the game's main artist what his favorite scene was, and he said the King's Game scene. He mentioned enjoying drawing the art for it or whatever, but then says that he hadn't actually read the whole script when the scene was being put together, so when he discovered the "twist" at the end, he thought it was strange, since "getting drunk on atmosphere" is impossible, so he just says he has no idea what's happening there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sankis posted:

(spoiler for the class trip and anime): Ahaha. Of course not. He's sure they're not.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sankis posted:

Pretty sure everyone's just being silly because they're teenagers. Even Kanji seems pretty sure it's not alcohol.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nessa posted:

Pretty sure everyone's just being silly because they're teenagers. Even Kanji seems pretty sure it's not alcohol.

There could be other reasons for this, but Yukiko and Rise completely forget what happens after they got drunk.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

King of Solomon posted:

There could be other reasons for this, but Yukiko and Rise completely forget what happens after they got drunk.

Yeah, this is what confused me. I didn't see that stuff as them acting.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Honestly I think most of the point of that scene is to leave you going "wait, what?"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I just assumed it was the placebo effect. They thought it was real, so their minds and bodies reacted as if it were real.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They're absolutely drunk, but through the magic of narrative we can make up something about atmosphere and not get in trouble from the ESRB

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

RentACop posted:

They're absolutely drunk, but through the magic of narrative we can make up something about atmosphere and not get in trouble from the ESRB

It's already rated M...for almost no other reason than language...I think they could have done that and not get an A

Undead Unicorn fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 3, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

RentACop posted:

That ship sailed a long time ago since the game has already has a M rating.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Don't forget that there is (theoretically) one more rating above M

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Rasamune posted:

Don't forget that there is (theoretically) one more rating above M

There was no chance of them getting an A on this game. It is astounding Persona even got an M and is proof along with Mass Effect that a rating between T and M needs to be made. Maybe OT or something.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Not to mention if that's the thing that breaks your suspension of disbelief then how the gently caress you make it so far into the game?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Who said anything about it breaking suspension of disbelief?

I just looked up the Japanese cover art and it looks like the japanese rating is the equivalent of 15+. Maybe that had something to do with it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Undead Unicorn posted:

It's already rated M...for almost no other reason than language...I think they could have done that and not get an A

ESRB was the wrong term, gently caress, what is that thing japan has

Edit: CERO, there we go

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Didn't Persona 3 almost wind up with an Adult rating because of Mara?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't Persona 3 almost wind up with an Adult rating because of Mara?
I'd imagine it was more the 'teenagers shooting themselves in the head', though I doubt Mara helped.

Also I doubt the drunk off atmosphere thing is a censorship thing so much as a punchline thing. If you change that then Naoto doesn't get to do the "Are you a pack of imbeciles!?" bit.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

RentACop posted:

Speaking as someone who's seen teenagers with non-alcoholic beer, I completely believe that they both think they are drunk and forgot everything the next day. Some kids are just really desperate for that experience.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

So I'm stuck at the June/July dungeon on July 6th and my characters are at 23, 21, 20, 24 (Not using Kanji). I don't know if I'm strong enough to make it through the dungeon and I'm told that I'm dangerously close to the deadline. What should I do?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

And? The mind can do pretty strange things when it wants to, and Yukiko and Rise are the two who likely have the most experience in seeing adults drunk, as well as hungover.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Rise and Yukiko are just silly. If the scene played out differently, it would still be funny, but the added little tidbit brings another layer of confusion and hilarity to the situation, making it really unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

psychoticBacofoil posted:

So I'm stuck at the June/July dungeon on July 6th and my characters are at 23, 21, 20, 24 (Not using Kanji). I don't know if I'm strong enough to make it through the dungeon and I'm told that I'm dangerously close to the deadline. What should I do?

You can still go home on the last day and never actually rescue the person. You'll get a game over and Igor will give you the option of going one week in the past to give you some time to grind up. Unless that option is exclusive to normal and lower

• Locked thread