Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

How about OCR-A (extended)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PineappleChunk
Feb 17, 2011

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I must call upon the knowledge of this thread again to help me find the name of a font or one similar:

Any ideas what it could be? I know I've seen it on other packaging before but I've yet to find it in Photoshop.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I think it's Carlos Bold

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ah thanks, seems to be a rather pricey font (I guess. I don't know how much fonts usually run for but it's $59 at cheapest) but I found a suitable workaround to that problem. I could have sworn it was one of the ones that comes with Photoshop though.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
That font is so mid-90s comic books it hurts.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

pipes! posted:

That font is so mid-90s comic books it hurts.

Its from the front of the Pokemon Red box.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I would totally play a Pokemon mod where you catch fonts.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

neonnoodle posted:

Then Mechanes would be super effective against Humanist type. At least if we stick to Vox.

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

Sorry about breaking the funny thread going on. :saddowns:

Could someone please recommend good serif and sans-serif combos (i.e., one of each) for print?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I've always liked Univers and Caslon and Avenir and Clarendon.

ChakAttack
Apr 13, 2011

Oh I like that second pair a lot! Thank you :)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Sure thing!

Before we stop this font rec train, can anyone suggest a modern tech-type that isn't gimmicky or silly-futuristic? Something along the lines of Neo Sans but maybe less rounded/soft would be cool.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Eurostile never goes out of stile :cheeky:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Perhaps you would like HFJ's latest: Tungsten

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Anybody have any alternatives to the Ralph Steadman (Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) style font? I'm working with a new band called Filthy Beast, and they like that style, but I don't want to bite that style too hard. I feel it'll detract from their unique sound.

Their whole appeal is this weird desert-rock pulp style grit.

Any ideas?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

neonnoodle posted:

Well, speaking of font games, I just found this today. It's called Kern Type.

Have fun ripping your hair out, OCD people. :v:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

RizieN posted:

Anybody have any alternatives to the Ralph Steadman (Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) style font? I'm working with a new band called Filthy Beast, and they like that style, but I don't want to bite that style too hard. I feel it'll detract from their unique sound.

Any ideas?

Here's a list of similar fonts from Identifont: http://www.identifont.com/similar?IDN

I'm kind of partial to Bleeding Cowboys. It's not exactly in the same vein but it does have a grungy Western feel. It may be a little too... cliched, maybe? for what you're trying to do though.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

toby posted:

Perhaps you would like HFJ's latest: Tungsten

Forza is another good one, basically an updated Eurostile.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm kind of partial to Bleeding Cowboys. It's not exactly in the same vein but it does have a grungy Western feel. It may be a little too... cliched, maybe? for what you're trying to do though.

Friends don't let friends use Bleeding Cowboys. EVErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Fayez Butts posted:

Friends don't let friends use Bleeding Cowboys. EVErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think Bleeding Cowboys is getting to be right up there with Comic Sans.

On that note, I think Comic Sans should be banned from all computers in any professional setting. One of the designers at my company uses goddamn Comic Sans in her emails that she sends out to vendors outside the company. I think this reflects really poorly on our design team.

I use Eurostile for everything. My resume and portfolio are both written in it and I love it.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Here's a list of similar fonts from Identifont: http://www.identifont.com/similar?IDN

Oh my god why would you ever recommend Bleeding Cowboys. The only valid use of it is pamphlets for fly-by-night clubs that change name/ownership every 4-6 months.

Bleeding Cowboys: "I want my text to look distressed/grunge but don't want to do anything more than typing the words"

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Well, speaking of font games, I just found this today. It's called Kern Type.

Have fun ripping your hair out, OCD people. :v:

Forgot about this. Just did it, 97 out of 100, works for me.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm kind of partial to Bleeding Cowboys.

Isn't this grounds for exile from CC or something? Jesus dude.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

RizieN posted:

Any ideas?

How much type are you setting in that font?
You might be smart just to pick up a bunch of paper and a calligraphy pen + ink, and go to town yourself.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Disreputable Dog posted:

How much type are you setting in that font?
You might be smart just to pick up a bunch of paper and a calligraphy pen + ink, and go to town yourself.

That's my main plan right now, I haven't had too much time to work on it lately though. I'm trying to talk the band into straying away from the Steadman style, I don't think it's a good marketing move at all especially not long term.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Top tip: eye dropper a little ink onto the page then blow on it with a straw.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are you serious about "web safe?" That poo poo hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

qirex posted:

Are you serious about "web safe?" That poo poo hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

It matters in emails. :colbert:

Seriously, though, licensing Segoe UI costs quite a bit.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Segoe UI is actually a rip-off of Frutiger, not Helvetica (according to Spiekermann) because once again MS were too cheap to license a font and got someone to copy it.

On the plus side, Frutiger/Segoe is a definite step in the right direction as regards overall legibility. As long as the font is properly hinted -- and the hinting on Segoe isn't too bad -- it's actually significantly more legible than Helvetica. That's part of why I'm so disappointed to see Apple start using Helvetica Neue for iTunes... it's a display typeface, not a body typeface, and anyway Helvetica isn't what it should be (you'll want Christian Schwartz's Neue Haas Grotesk for that...)!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

ExtraNoise posted:

It matters in emails. :colbert:

Also for audiences where the majority don't have JS capabilities :colbert:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I get so pissed when I look at an email I sent to a co-worker on their PC, and my loving teal papyrus 16pt email shows up as some loving Verdana bullshit. ESPECIALLY when I sign with bright blue comic sans and an animated gif of the CUTEST emoticon!

Or like on MSN when my authentic typewriter font doesn't show up on their PC and only mine... I downloaded these for a reason!

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone know of any free fonts that have a similar style to ITC Century Bold. I'm working on a project with a 0 dollar budget and good, free, serifs are really hard to find.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

And then of course there is Gill Sans Infant