Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kotaru posted:

They are pretty stout for their age and size. I feel safer in it than my third gen camaro.

They are pretty safe for what they are mainly because in a head on colision theres hardly anything (in comparison to a front engined car) to intrude into the interior, so the whole front tends to absorb the impact. Rear impacts seem to be helped by the extra bulkhead behind the engine.

Side impacts, eeeeehh well just forget the AW11 and early SW20s as neither had side impact bars in the doors. Of course this is mainly anecdotal evidence from seing the various crashed mr2s my friend tends to get in his shop as breakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
All this oil filter talk reminds me of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bisticles posted:

This happened to a friend of mine today. Sheet of ice flew off the SUV in front of him landed with enough force to cave the windshield in. Dude has a pregnant wife who thankfully wasn't in the car with him, but god drat...

Reminds me of my collision:

Tire from a large truck struck me while on a bridge going at 90 KM/h or so.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

PainterofCrap posted:

So-long, unnamed Da-Glo tool. We hardly knew ye.

Recommendation: Porter-Cable...if they sell them in the UK.

A little late but, Makita makes the best Circular saw. Bar none.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

There's definitely a 'bulletproof' myth about old cars that pops up on car blogs and forums. Sure, a Mercedes or Volvo 240 will run forever, but does anyone mention all the weekends spent wrenching, reading cryptic forums and the thousands of dollars for that to happen? I guess it's similar to when someone looks at an insanely difficult project car and thinks 'that's an easy fix.'

W124 build quality was pretty good for the early 80's, but the car came from the factory riddled with expensive and really stupid flaws caused by German engineerink hubris or something. And all of them on the road today need a rolling restoration. There are a few reasons to buy an elderly Mercedes-Benz, but safety, reliability and low costs aren't any of them.

I am literally buying a 26 year old Mercedes 300 on Saturday in order to drive long distances. It's in pretty good shape!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I am literally buying a 26 year old Mercedes 300 on Saturday in order to drive long distances. It's in pretty good shape!

If I see you on the side of 395, I'll pull over so you can use my phone. :v:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Motronic posted:

The terrifying thing would be if it's NOT doing that. Same thing for bridges.

I remember way back when I was first taking high angle rescue courses and we were out on a bridge that was swaying all over the place. I joked to the bridge engineer "this is what it's supposed to be doing, right?" and he got all serious and said "if you are EVER on something this size in the wind or with traffic on it and it's not moving at least this much you need to run as fast as you loving can off of it."
And buildings. In fact one of the things on my to do list is to Taipei 101. A building known for containing the world's largest tuned mass damper meant to reduce stress from the movements in the building. What is it? Its a 660 ton pendulum ball that at its worst conditions actually moves 1.5 meters. Also, I guess the wobbly Millennium Bridge does count as a mechanical failure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Millennium_Bridge#Resonance

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just wanted to post a pic of the Civic I talked about earlier that got hit by a Rodeo:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

All this oil filter talk reminds me of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

I really wish someone would take a decent mic out and measure the sound/acoustic emissions, do an FFT and clearly show with science n poo poo how well these things work. Itd be super easy but once the audio been all compressed and what not I feel like it wouldnt be nearly as accurate. Not to mention no idea on he quality of that mic for the gun's frequency range.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Lord Gaga posted:

I really wish someone would take a decent mic out and measure the sound/acoustic emissions, do an FFT and clearly show with science n poo poo how well these things work. Itd be super easy but once the audio been all compressed and what not I feel like it wouldnt be nearly as accurate. Not to mention no idea on he quality of that mic for the gun's frequency range.

Yeah, I was watching it just assuming they'd bust out some sort of numbers at some point. Without a reference, it's just like showing a picture of a room with no windows and saying "look how bright it is in here"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Sockington could still fix this, right?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Wow... was that driving still?

What's with the keys?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Keysmith's van. Or a contractor's...

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
its in the terrible car stuff thread. The going theory is that the guy didn't have any washers around, but must have had a bunch of keys (was a locksmith?)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is that a plank of wood inside the rust acting as the frame rail?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I couldn't see the wood for the keys...

(Sorry)

Totally missed that the first look.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sudo Echo posted:

I'd say Kevbarlas could probably fix it, judging by his Thames Campervan project.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Timmy Cruise posted:

Wow... was that driving still?

What's with the keys?

The keys give the screw head something to hold onto. Like a washer but cheaper, and weirder. The metal underneath is probably paper-thin.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Sudo Echo posted:

This is not a mechanical failure. This is pure, unadulterated genius.

Oh my god. Just realized that's wood underneath the rust. Yep. Still the best thing I've seen all week.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
And here was me thinking it was a poor choice of sacrificial anode.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

xp67 posted:

And here was me thinking it was a poor choice of sacrificial anode.

Why? Looks like the frame was a good sacrificial anode for the keys.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sudo Echo posted:

All I can do is stare in mute horror. It's an image that keeps giving. One of the keys has a washer on top of the key. It's a washer designed to tie down plywood I think. The screws are wood screws. He decided it would be OK to put driving forces on that thing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Jonny Nox posted:

One of the keys has a washer on top of the key.

It makes it seem like the owner put thought into this repair :psyduck:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

All I can do is stare in mute horror. It's an image that keeps giving. One of the keys has a washer on top of the key. It's a washer designed to tie down plywood I think. The screws are wood screws. He decided it would be OK to put driving forces on that thing.

To be fair, wood screws are the correct ones to use.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

More oil filter chat....

edit: to clarify, when I pulled off the housing cap, half the filter came out and the other half stayed stuck in the engine. WHole housing was filled with barklike chunks of filter media.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 4, 2013

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Godholio posted:

The keys give the screw head something to hold onto. Like a washer but cheaper, and weirder. The metal underneath is probably paper-thin.
I'm genuinely surprised they were able to drill into that without the metal flaking to bits. Unless he's picked existing holes in the metal work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I spy a couple auto keys, a couple padlock keys, and what looks to be a Schlage SC1 housekey off to the extreme left.

I wonder if he can still get into his house and shed, hopefully he used the keys from that truck.

Actually, his other truck is probably worse if this is the one he fixed :gonk:

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Remember: Always treat acetylene tanks as if they contain gas. NEVER put one in an enclosed car.

An explosion can happen if you don't listen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fire Storm posted:

Remember: Always treat acetylene tanks as if they contain gas. NEVER put one in an enclosed car.

An explosion can happen if you don't listen.

I'm reminded of this http://www.leftlanenews.com/man-survives-toyota-fj-cruiser-exploding-while-inside-aftermath-inside.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

People say the Cimarron and Citation weren't good cars but all this was before I was born so I really have no idea. v:downs:v

EDIT: What I am trying to say is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sblq-CwzEY

If they actually tested the Granada in Germany, why doesn't the Mercedes have the European headlights in it :colbert:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My friend got a 1977 Ford Granada from his late aunt 2 years ago with 35,XXX miles on it. Its awesome.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

You Am I posted:

If they actually tested the Granada in Germany, why doesn't the Mercedes have the European headlights in it :colbert:

Because US market Mercedes were manufactured in Germany at the time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slavvy posted:

More oil filter chat....

edit: to clarify, when I pulled off the housing cap, half the filter came out and the other half stayed stuck in the engine. WHole housing was filled with barklike chunks of filter media.

Ew. What brand is that?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put the carburetor from a xx-year granada onto a 1983 2.0l ranger (because I had nothing else available when the ranger's carb cracked in half and the base gasket fit). Is that a failure?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geirskogul posted:

I put the carburetor from a xx-year granada onto a 1983 2.0l ranger (because I had nothing else available when the ranger's carb cracked in half and the base gasket fit). Is that a failure?

No, no its not. That is more AI than anything.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My friend got a 1977 Ford Granada from his late aunt 2 years ago with 35,XXX miles on it. Its awesome.

Check the trunk floor and the rear frame rails supporting it. It can get nasty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Godholio posted:

Ew. What brand is that?

Genuine Kia/hyundai. The owner decided 31,000km's was a good oil change interval. "I think it's a little bit overdue for a service." right...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

M104 3.2L Mercedes I6. Headgasket was replaced 2 years ago. headbolts had ~40-50ft-lb torque.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

M104 3.2L Mercedes I6. Headgasket was replaced 2 years ago. headbolts had ~40-50ft-lb torque.

I love looking at this poo poo and going "WTF am I missing!?"

Seriously. The head is gone? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Cylinder head, upper intake plenum, a whole lotta poo poo infront of the engine and the exhaust manifolds are removed.