Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lord Mantis?

I guess this is more black metal than grindcore, though.

The bassist is also the drummer for Nachtmystium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of bands that have a dirty, low-fi, "sludgy doom to raging grindcore and back in a single track" sound like Eyehategod? I've been listening to Dopesick way too much recently and I need more music like it. Lair of the Minotaur is close to what I'm looking for, but they're too thrashy.

Check out Mudlark. http://www.myspace.com/mudlark

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 20, 2012

Agustin Cienfuegos
May 7, 2008
Caught The Sword on the last show of the tour back here in Austin tonight. If you haven't seen them live yet, go check 'em out!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Can anyone point me in the direction of bands that have a dirty, low-fi, "sludgy doom to raging grindcore and back in a single track" sound like Eyehategod? I've been listening to Dopesick way too much recently and I need more music like it. Lair of the Minotaur is close to what I'm looking for, but they're too thrashy.

I think I posted this earlier in this thread, but check out Meth Drinker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxZxA3yQ8M

Also, thank you for showing me Lord Mantis

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Just remembered this band.
Coffinworm is another really great mix of sludge and black metal.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lord Mantis?

EDIT: Also, Indian.

Lord Mantis is my new favourite poo poo, man, holy moley that's some awesome heavy.
P.S. Indian rules.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Roadburn live albums are now pay as you want on Bandcamp.

There's YOB, Bongripper, Bong, Wino, WItTR, CoM and some other cool live stuff for any price (including free if you're a cheapo like me)

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The best part of the semester ending is that I finally had time to catch up on this thread. I have missed a ton of good stuff this year.

Has Thumlock come up already? I think they only ever put out three LPs, but I am still listening to them a decade later.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lord Mantis?

EDIT: Also, Indian.

Dude, thank you. Seriously, thank you. You hit a home run with that recommendation. Count me in as another new Lord Mantis fan. This is some of the nastiest poo poo I've heard in a while, I loving love it. I hope they tour soon, I can't wait to see them live.

Side note: Going to Deathfest this year, buying the re-release tickets on the 15th when they go on sale. Can't loving wait.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Been listening to Royal Thunder for the past couple of days. Not sure if they fit 100 percent in this thread, but they sound loving awesome so I'm posting here anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0r2d5xPFOo

Excellent female singer who isn't afraid to loving belt it out with a bit of a 70's fuzzed out feel.

Edit: loving awesome they are coming to the Ottobar in Baltimore in January. Now just to find someone to go see them with and i'll be set.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 23, 2012

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

rxcowboy posted:

Dude, thank you. Seriously, thank you. You hit a home run with that recommendation. Count me in as another new Lord Mantis fan. This is some of the nastiest poo poo I've heard in a while, I loving love it. I hope they tour soon, I can't wait to see them live.

Side note: Going to Deathfest this year, buying the re-release tickets on the 15th when they go on sale. Can't loving wait.

I'll also be there, thanks for mentioning that they will be rereleasing tickets, I bought mine late and didn't get a saturday one (I was disappointed cause I really want to see Infest). What are your plans for sleeping? My friend and I are looking to get a bunch of people into a hotel room.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

casual poster posted:

I'll also be there, thanks for mentioning that they will be rereleasing tickets, I bought mine late and didn't get a saturday one (I was disappointed cause I really want to see Infest). What are your plans for sleeping? My friend and I are looking to get a bunch of people into a hotel room.

A year ago I would have said not to worry about the hotel room, I live like ten minutes away from Sonar. But now that I'm married and have a kid, I don't think I can let goons crash on my couch anymore.

To be honest, looking at the lineup I don't think it's as strong as last year. I blame Sonar going down, there were probably some booking problems involved.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
edit lol broke tables http://i.imgur.com/6Jilb.jpg

gently caress yeah, christmas.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Wanna put in a good word for Admiral Browning. They're a really tight instrumental trio, I'd describe their sound as sort of "progressive stoner".

They have (I think) three albums out now, and just re-released their first record as pay what you want (including free).

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

rxcowboy posted:

Been listening to Royal Thunder for the past couple of days. Not sure if they fit 100 percent in this thread, but they sound loving awesome so I'm posting here anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0r2d5xPFOo

Excellent female singer who isn't afraid to loving belt it out with a bit of a 70's fuzzed out feel.

Edit: loving awesome they are coming to the Ottobar in Baltimore in January. Now just to find someone to go see them with and i'll be set.

This is pretty awesome, I promptly bought CVI.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
My friend and co worker is new bass player for Graves At Sea. That, and the fact that they're now a full on Portland band, is pretty loving cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFm87zk_t3g

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

niff posted:

edit lol broke tables http://i.imgur.com/6Jilb.jpg

gently caress yeah, christmas.
Oh man, that's some good poo poo. My brother got my Paranoid by Sabbath on vinyl for Christmas, which I wasn't expecting at ALL but man... good choice.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

h_double posted:

Wanna put in a good word for Admiral Browning. They're a really tight instrumental trio, I'd describe their sound as sort of "progressive stoner".

They have (I think) three albums out now, and just re-released their first record as pay what you want (including free).

I gave it a shot and thought it was pretty decent, though not my style. I almost think they are more of a prog group than sludge; really Racer X-like.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlvSiZAeU6o

A lil' holiday spirit.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Fingers McGee posted:

This is pretty awesome, I promptly bought CVI.

Seconding this; I'd be really happy to have more like them.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Oh man, that's some good poo poo. My brother got my Paranoid by Sabbath on vinyl for Christmas, which I wasn't expecting at ALL but man... good choice.

Paranoid and self-titled should truly be on everyone's stoner/doom fundamentals vinyl collection - which I assume we are all accruing, whether we know it or not.

next up: Welcome to Sky Valley!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just ordered a Belzebong shirt from their shop. Had to translate my way through the order process with Google since it was Polish-only. :shepface:

Hopefully it'll arrive here. At 12€ with shipping it's a steal compared to regular band merch.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

rxcowboy posted:

I think Weedeater has pretty much solidified my decision to go this year.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I think Weedeater has pretty much solidified my decision to go this year.

Ugh. I'm willing to go cross-country to do this, but drat will that cost. I could catch just about everyone I want to see on the west coast next year, but Bolt Thrower. . .

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
QotSA have released a mocumentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA

Your amusement may vary, but it's still better than most "peek inside the studio" things bands release.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Trabant posted:

QotSA have released a mocumentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shgpssp9ZpA

Your amusement may vary, but it's still better than most "peek inside the studio" things bands release.

God I really want them to release an album worth listening to.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Argali posted:

God I really want them to release an album worth listening to.

You mean to tell me that their self titled, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf weren't worth listening to?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
My fav bands in this genre are: Kyuss, Acid Bath and Truckfighters. And whoever says QotSA sucks is being a contrarian rear end in a top hat, especially if they like this genre of music. The Beatles suck, right guys? I wish they made an album worth listening to.

Sorry If I offended anyone.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

niff posted:

Paranoid and self-titled should truly be on everyone's stoner/doom fundamentals vinyl collection - which I assume we are all accruing, whether we know it or not.

next up: Welcome to Sky Valley!

I thought Volume 4 was their best stoner/doom record?? I've always had a 'thing' against Ozzy for some reason, but listening to volume 4 recently really left an impression on me. I guess I'll have to try those 2 you mentioned.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.

GiveUpNed posted:

My fav bands in this genre are: Kyuss, Acid Bath and Truckfighters. And whoever says QotSA sucks is being a contrarian rear end in a top hat, especially if they like this genre of music. The Beatles suck, right guys? I wish they made an album worth listening to.

Sorry If I offended anyone.

Era Vulgaris is poo poo and you should calm down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I love Era Vulgaris, really like all QOTSA albums apart from S/T to be honest.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love Era Vulgaris, really like all QOTSA albums apart from S/T to be honest.

That's cool, I couldn't resist fighting dumb post with dumb post. Queens are pretty hit and miss for me post Songs for the Deaf but they'll always have my attention when something new pops up. Here's hoping the next one rocks.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

casual poster posted:

I thought Volume 4 was their best stoner/doom record?? I've always had a 'thing' against Ozzy for some reason, but listening to volume 4 recently really left an impression on me. I guess I'll have to try those 2 you mentioned.

Vol 4 is a classic overindulgent 70s coke album, I think Master of Reality seems more like their sludgiest/stonedest one. Has some heavy guitar tones though (Supernaut).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Silver Brushes posted:

Vol 4 is a classic overindulgent 70s coke album, I think Master of Reality seems more like their sludgiest/stonedest one. Has some heavy guitar tones though (Supernaut).

I always look at the songs like Snowblind and Cornucopia as the beginnings of doom. For poo poo that came out in '72 this is heavy as all loving get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1omGSmrFA

Also I don't like Queens of the Stone Age but I'm not generally a fan of straight stoner rock/metal. I don't like Kyuss either.

(I fully understand the irony of saying that directly after posting a Sabbath song, but Sabbath gets a pass from me for being, y'know, gods.)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nativity In Black posted:

I always look at the songs like Snowblind and Cornucopia as the beginnings of doom. For poo poo that came out in '72 this is heavy as all loving get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1omGSmrFA

Also I don't like Queens of the Stone Age but I'm not generally a fan of straight stoner rock/metal. I don't like Kyuss either.

(I fully understand the irony of saying that directly after posting a Sabbath song, but Sabbath gets a pass from me for being, y'know, gods.)

Speaking of Sabbath, looks like they are planning to tour this coming year. I saw the original four in 2005 and they were great, so I guess I'm more curious about the record. Curious is definitely the word, I'm not expecting Sabotage II or anything.

e: I'd take it though

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

This is the one that always, loving always does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8LbhQlOYc

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I don't believe this has been mentioned, so here ya go.

http://www.desertfest.de/index.php/news.html

DesertFest in Berlin is going to be pretty special this year. Dozer, Unida, and Lowrider are reuniting for the line-up in April.

The Lowrider show seems to be a one-off thing, and I can't imagine Unida will do much else what with Garcia and Vista Chino, but I'd love to see a tour and a new album out of Dozer. I still consider Through The Eyes Of Heathens to be one of the most important stoner rock records out there.

If there are any Berlin goons here, you better go and tell us how it went.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey thanks all for making this here thread. A few years ago Dethklok opened the door for me to return to hard rock and my old metal favorites, and since then I've been discovering more and more. I had no idea what Mascis was doing lately until this thread, and now thanks to you lot I've purchased a couple Witch albums. One on vinyl! :killdozer: :nudebeme:

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNMklh92K4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim
The line-up for Heavy Days in Doomtown is complete. So I can look forward to seeing Conan, Graves at Sea, Kadavar, Belzebong, Danava and Lecherous Gaze in May. Plus a bunch of other bands that I will have to check out before that.

Nice that they have moved away from doing a pure doom festival to being a bit more diverse.