Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

You are so loving wrong. :rant:

I've lived 28 of 30 years in my life in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic. This is going to sound worse than I mean it to sound, but El Salvadorans, Hondurans, and Puerto Ricans should not be making Mexican food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

raditts posted:

As bad as it was, it's nowhere near as bad as that Windows 8 commercial with some doofy little girl making ugly paintings on a touchscreen while some tone deaf bastard sings some lovely song and butchers "Express Yourself" in the process. There are not many commercials that get "mute as quickly as possible" status but that is definitely one of them.

Microsoft commercials have been on that list for at least 2 years now

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

raditts posted:

As bad as it was, it's nowhere near as bad as that Windows 8 commercial with some doofy little girl making ugly paintings on a touchscreen while some tone deaf bastard sings some lovely song and butchers "Express Yourself" in the process. There are not many commercials that get "mute as quickly as possible" status but that is definitely one of them.

I like that commercial because the little girl is so cute and totally not doofy and because of the enigma in the middle of the commercial, when she shows him his portrait upside down, which causes him to look confused, and then she turns it right side up and he starts smiling again. Why does he react this way? Does he not recognize his own likeness when it's upside down, and was trying to figure out what to make of the astract art? Does he think his child is a moron that doesn't know which way is up?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Batui posted:

I like that commercial because the little girl is so cute and totally not doofy and because of the enigma in the middle of the commercial, when she shows him his portrait upside down, which causes him to look confused, and then she turns it right side up and he starts smiling again. Why does he react this way? Does he not recognize his own likeness when it's upside down, and was trying to figure out what to make of the astract art? Does he think his child is a moron that doesn't know which way is up?

DO you not get what this thread is trying to teach you?

Marketing execs have no idea what human interaction is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The latest Sprint commercial about their unlimited data plans made me realize something: Sprint makes a better iPhone commercial than Apple does. Apple and Ford are the death of creative advertising (Ford for their lazy F-150 commercials, Apple for every single commercial they make).

Also, have we reached a point where you can't make music without including the voice-mutilating technology known as autotune? If the latest Five-Hour Energy commercial is any indication, we have.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Y-Hat posted:

The latest Sprint commercial about their unlimited data plans made me realize something: Sprint makes a better iPhone commercial than Apple does.

Ahh yes, Sprint. All the data you can download at 10 kbps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

The latest Sprint commercial about their unlimited data plans made me realize something: Sprint makes a better iPhone commercial than Apple does. Apple and Ford are the death of creative advertising (Ford for their lazy F-150 commercials, Apple for every single commercial they make).

Also, have we reached a point where you can't make music without including the voice-mutilating technology known as autotune? If the latest Five-Hour Energy commercial is any indication, we have.

We reached that point at least a year or two ago. I think it's actually starting to die off now to the point where the people that use it are the same people that still use the word "bling."

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Mom, Pop it!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Retail Slave posted:

I'm really starting to dislike the annoyingly perky Beezid girl.

Wait a month and Beezid will have a new commercial under a new name, something like QuiBeezds.

At least, that's what I think is going on. This is the same thing that was called quibids before right? Holy hell that is such a scam.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Wait a month and Beezid will have a new commercial under a new name, something like QuiBeezds.

At least, that's what I think is going on. This is the same thing that was called quibids before right? Holy hell that is such a scam.

Beezid is like the auction version of education connection. The scam gets a new URL like every week.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

vyst posted:

Beezid is like the auction version of education connection. The scam gets a new URL like every week.

Similar to those PCMatic.com advertisements?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's a Party City commercial that advertises their New Year's stuff.

Highlights are people having more fun with blowouts/paper horns/rattlers than real people will ever have in their entire life. Also, "WANT TO PARTY LIKE A BRO? WE GOT YOU COVERED"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Highlights are people having more fun with blowouts/paper horns/rattlers than real people will ever have in their entire life. Also, "WANT TO PARTY LIKE A BRO? WE GOT YOU COVERED"

I'm far more annoyed with the WE LET THE PARTY GO ON portions of those commercials.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Yeah, those auction sites are scammy as hell. It costs money to bid. Thus while the final price looks low you're not actually saving all that much because it cost you about 90% MSRP in just bids.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, those auction sites are scammy as hell. It costs money to bid. Thus while the final price looks low you're not actually saving all that much because it cost you about 90% MSRP in just bids.

It's basically The Dollar Auction taken to the next level.

Edit: I mean, I know it's not like the dollar auction perfectly in function, but it's like it in that you know full well going into it that even if you lose, you'll have to pay. And that you'd have to be an idiot to play into it...but poeple still do, because people are idiots.

I've also heard that these "penny auction" site, unlike places like eBay, don't have a set time limit to the auction, so using some sort of sniping program is useless. The auction time gets extended with every bid, so in the end, it does turn out similar to a dollar auction where it's basically just two people battling back and forth to "win" an iPad at $50, even though they've spend $200 in bids, so God-dammit it can't be for nothing! Get stuck in a "too far to turn back, gotta at least cut my losses" scenario.

Edit: V V V Yeah, that's the whole point from the view of the scammers website owners. If each bid makes it go up a penny, then an iPad selling for $40 has 4000 bids. Even if each bid only cost twenty-five cents, that's still $1000. Plus that $40 from the winner, and you're looking at nearly $700 in profit from an iPad.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 31, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst part is that you don't get any money back if you lose the auction, so unlike eBay you can spend money on bids and get nothing in return. Also you still have to pay whatever the final amount was when you win, how much you spent on bidding isn't taken into effect at all.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

vyst posted:

education connection

oh god dammit now it's stuck

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I keep seeing Jillian in commercials for samsung and hoping that it's just some weird episode of Workaholics.

The samsung commercial is terrible, and they don't use her correctly.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
Love, Samantha. :bang:

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

piratepilates posted:

Alright I've just had enough of that loving salsa commercial where they go apeshit over that guy from NEW YORK CITY?!??!??...

I remember when Pace started that ad campaign, the city chosen was New Jersey, but then someone complained. They have stuck with New York every since. It still is stupid as gently caress.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MixxMaster posted:

I remember when Pace started that ad campaign, the city chosen was New Jersey, but then someone complained. They have stuck with New York every since. It still is stupid as gently caress.

Weird, I don't remember any commercials where they said "New Jersey." "Jersey City" doesn't seem to have the same ring to it as "New York City."

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

piratepilates posted:

Well I haven't been around for 30 years and have only had access to american tv for the last 10 or so years but I can say I've never watched one of their ads before in my life.

It's great that you seem to think we all eat only one type of salsa in the US, too. Pace is an okay bottled salsa but there is a world of difference between salsas made in the northeast and Texas, for instance. Like Sash said, Mexican food is generally terrible up there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Wendy's girl has gone from being just annoying to now being an outright dick to people. Some dude says he's saving money by having some tiny burger, OK whatever.

"Oh so am I... Look at all this food I have! You only have that one burger?" :smug:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

DJExile posted:

The Wendy's girl has gone from being just annoying to now being an outright dick to people. Some dude says he's saving money by having some tiny burger, OK whatever.

"Oh so am I... Look at all this food I have! You only have that one burger?" :smug:

You know those commercials never bugged me.

Maybe I thought she was cute, and I liked Wendy's food more than the competition.

But we don't have Wendy's anymore. And I don't see the commercials anymore either.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

raditts posted:

Weird, I don't remember any commercials where they said "New Jersey." "Jersey City" doesn't seem to have the same ring to it as "New York City."

From 1985...and from my memory at least, the first run of the ads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTX6ulE_Du8

edit
Bonus "NJ" ad from '85:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_sBADjdrs

MixxMaster fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 3, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

The recent Christmas pageant one was pretty bad too. She's all "Ew, that's what you're eating?" to a sandwich that looked like it was brought from home.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The recent Christmas pageant one was pretty bad too. She's all "Ew, that's what you're eating?" to a sandwich that looked like it was brought from home.

I love how they pitch "cost-efficient" eating in some commercials, then poo poo on "cost-efficient" eating in others. gently caress your 2 dollar sandwich you made from home you cow! COME TRY OUR DOLLAR MENU.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

vyst posted:

I love how they pitch "cost-efficient" eating in some commercials, then poo poo on "cost-efficient" eating in others. gently caress your 2 dollar sandwich you made from home you cow! COME TRY OUR DOLLAR MENU.

I agree with DJ Exile in that she went from cute to rude, and I think this is what did it. It went from being "hey, let's get some cheap Wendy's food since we can't think of anything else!" to "You're eating that from home? How boring./You're eating that from another place? How expensive."

For my own complaint, I'm getting sick of these Lumosity commercials that I've been getting on Youtube videos lately. There are two of them, and the people in both commercials sound so completely scripted, and look so fake saying it, that it's not even funny. "I try to stay fit and eat healthy, but it's a lot harder to work out my mind.:shepface:" Not a bad commercial, per se, just annoying and frequent, so I'm sick of it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Oh god I saw the Lumosity commercial and all I could think of was this is what you get when you cross pogo.com, eharmony, and a failed 90's website idea that people invested 20 million into.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 3, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MixxMaster posted:

From 1985...and from my memory at least, the first run of the ads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTX6ulE_Du8

edit
Bonus "NJ" ad from '85:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_sBADjdrs

Huh, it's exactly how I remember the commercial being, I've learned something today.
I guess they dubbed "New York City" over the original?

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Does anyone have a video of this?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

The best thing about Pace's "NEW YORK CITY!?" ads is that they're owned by Campbells now who is based in the heart of the southwest cowboy culture: Camden, NJ.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a certain irony in having the dude that plays Barry Zuckerkorn trying to sell a mortgage scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhGparW6KQ

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vyst posted:

I especially love that they have commercials bragging about how cheap their value menu is when they actually just raised prices. You want something to brag about, Smugwendy? Go back to the halcyon days when a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger was 99 cents.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

I especially love that they have commercials bragging about how cheap their value menu is when they actually just raised prices. You want something to brag about, Smugwendy? Go back to the halcyon days when a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger was 99 cents.

Man I remember when a double stack was on the dollar menu too. Fuckin inflation.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know it's the time of the year for tax return ads to appear, but I'm already tired of the H&R Block ads which contains really ugly people speaking in front of a camera while it's zoomed in on their face with a black and white filter placed over them.

A shame, as H&R Block had some funny ads in the past, like Frankenstein's Monster going in for his tax return.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWH2KzCPCo

So you're saying that your food is so bad that no one else will want it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWH2KzCPCo

So you're saying that your food is so bad that no one else will want it?

Taco Bell commercials are always weird in a way that's completely off-message. Every time I see this commercial and it's variations, it seems to me like it's saying "Your friends are having a fun time watching the game and eating some wings, but you're to big of a weird nerd to join in".

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

SpacePig posted:

Taco Bell commercials are always weird in a way that's completely off-message. Every time I see this commercial and it's variations, it seems to me like it's saying "Your friends are having a fun time watching the game and eating some wings, but you're to big of a weird nerd to join in".

You can't have any wings or sit on the couch with us because you look like an idiot in your thrift-store jacket and vest. Comb your hair too jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

They also have the ad for the steak nachos where a guy is out with friends at a steak house, gets up and leaves his friends to eat Taco Bell alone while leaning against his car. Truly more fun than dinner with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDIURu5cws