Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's definitely pretty good but the portion of actual soup is really pretty small for a ramen place.

It's great we're getting more and more options when it comes to ramen in London these days though but if you ask me about soup noodles in general I still think Koya is best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NLJP posted:

It's definitely pretty good but the portion of actual soup is really pretty small for a ramen place.

It's great we're getting more and more options when it comes to ramen in London these days though but if you ask me about soup noodles in general I still think Koya is best.
Koya is just amazing. So good.

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.
I've always preferred ramen, but Koya is undeniably fantastic.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I went to Caxton Grill and Roux at Parliament Square this week, both very good. I admit I found Roux a little pretentious but I suppose it's meant to cater to MPs and the like.

I also went to Hawksmoor for he first time. The steak was fantastic but the peanut butter shortbread really blew me away. I wasn't expecitng such a good pudding from a steak restaurant.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
I went to Leong's Legends last night on Macclesfield Street - is this the one that was recommended in the thread? Ordered the wind dried turnip, which was delicious, but also the "casket" from the dimsum menu, which sounded interesting but didn't do it for me, plus some tofu and aubergine.

Mainly though, they forgot to make our loving seafood dumplings and service was terrible. In retrospect, I could have ordered better but ugh :sigh:

Failure! I might console myself with a visit to Dirty Burger at lunch.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Oh man, we went to Leong's Legend (not Continued or the Inn) and it was awesome. Got the stir-fried glass noodles with vegetables, oyster omlette, bok choy with ginger, and pork belly with rice. The pork belly was ridiculous, it was so tender and amazingly delicious, highly recommend getting that. Service wasn't too bad either, and the entire meal ended up being like £10 or £12 for each, split 3 ways.

On the other hand, the gf and I went to Hawksmoor in Spitalfield this evening and I wasn't terribly impressed with the burger. Chips were good, but expensive for the portion. Maybe I'm spoiled by American hamburger abundance? I saw there's a Byron's near Liverpool station too, want to try that.

I'm working myself up to trying MeatMission, it looks like it had the potential to kill me.

Oh yeah, any good, cheap places near Covent Gardens?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'd say Hawksmoor is more about the steaks than their burgers.

MeatMarket is in Covent Garden is you haven't had enough burgers.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Burger & Shake at Russell Square. Been there twice now, so freakin' good.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Burger & Shake at Russell Square. Been there twice now, so freakin' good.

I didn't get to go before leaving for Christmas. I did however get to try my first Byrons. It was nice but I wasn't overly impressed. The burger patty didn't have enough texture for me. I like my burgers thick and meaty and sweating juices, while theirs was more like a posh version of a kebab shop burger, flat and lifeless even though the taste was great. My medium also came up medium rare but I vary between the two anyway so it was fine.

How are the burger and shake pattys? Are they Byron style or meatier?

Byrons was great for the price though. Not that much more than a McDonald's or Burger King, so even though i expected more I'm sure ill be back.

alexjs
Jun 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I'd say Hawksmoor is more about the steaks than their burgers.

MeatMarket is in Covent Garden is you haven't had enough burgers.

Have you tried the Kimchi burger? Think it's worth a crack..

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out to eat somewhere in London next week. I want to find somewhere that isn't too expensive for a student like me, but doesn't make me look like a cheapskate. I know that she likes Italian if that helps!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ooh, I'd definitely suggest Le Mercury in Angel. Cheap, but really nice 'date' atmosphere, and the food is totally acceptable. Check it out.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've mentioned a fab Italian near Paddington before in this thread if you look at my past posts. Very reasonably priced and their pastas are on a par with my Italian grandmother's, which is my measure of brilliance. The pizzas are pretty mediocre, however. It has a fairly nice, bustling (but not rushed), family-owned feel if you're into that kind of thing.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
There is a cosy little Italian place in Kentish Town called Delicious which is cheap, nice and laid back- someone took me on a date there once. :)

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Anyone been to flat iron's new permanent restaurant over in soho yet? Been getting all the spam messages from them since they opened their permanent home (was a popup in the owl and pussycat in shoreditch beforehand)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Greetings from America's Heartland, London goons :clint:

I'm making my first trip to London at the end of February. My friends (a married couple and their 20-month-old) are living over there for a couple years as required by her employer.

They've been given a corporate flat in Richmond, of all places (not far from the American university). From what I've heard about the place, it's rather affluent and therefore not necessarily the type of place us 20-30-something goon types care to spend our free time. I searched the thread for "Richmond" and did not find any mention of it, if that's any indication.

They've been there for about five weeks now and have done their share of exploration, but I'd like to hear any suggestions on decent places to eat that won't break the bank, either in Richmond or nearby.

Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Double Happiness posted:

Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out to eat somewhere in London next week. I want to find somewhere that isn't too expensive for a student like me, but doesn't make me look like a cheapskate. I know that she likes Italian if that helps!

What's "not too expensive"? Please be more specific.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like we should make an OP with "Coming to London? We recommend these places: Hawksmoor, etc" at this point.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yeah I wouldn't mind helping with that either! A list of good coffee places would also be useful.

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

The SARS Volta posted:

They've been there for about five weeks now and have done their share of exploration, but I'd like to hear any suggestions on decent places to eat that won't break the bank, either in Richmond or nearby.

Thanks!

Personally I don't think there is much worth going to in Richmond

http://www.themarlboroughrichmond.co.uk/ Nice pub at the top of the hill.

http://www.thedukerichmond.co.uk/ Another pub, pretty central and the food is good.

http://www.petershamnurseries.com/cafe.asp Not cheap but supposed to be great, has a Michelin star.

Chiswick and Ealing arn't far away, short tube or bus ride and have plenty of great places Charlottes Bistro/Place, La Trompette (1*), Franco Manca, Kerbisher and Malt and Santa Maria are all great. If you want a curry a bus to Hounslow or a short drive to Southall are the best places to go; Hounslow Lahori Karahi, The Roxy (New Asian Tandoori Centre), Delhiwala and the Mirch Masala. The Brilliant and Memories of India are slightly more upmarket though still good value. The other way toward Twickenham and Kingston Arthurs is good fun (in an old public toilet on Twickenham Green) and The Glasshouse in Kew (1*). The Idle Hour and the Brown Dog in Barnes are good.

Plenty of chains, loads of pubs and a lot of places that are ok to eat at, but hardly worth recommending.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah I'd really recommend the Franco Mana in Chiswick. Not that I've been there but if it's anything like the Brixton one, it's very good - and cheap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind helping with that either! A list of good coffee places would also be useful.

Ooh, yes, coffee places would be nice.

The Luxe in Spitalfields, Foxcroft & Ginger on Berwick St..

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh, yes, coffee places would be nice.

The Luxe in Spitalfields, Foxcroft & Ginger on Berwick St..

Vagabond on Stroud Green Road N4
Flat White on Berwickstrasse W1
Milk Bar on Bateman Street W1
Kaffeine on Gt Titchfield St W1
Tapped & Packed, Rathbone Place and top of Tottenham Court Rd, W1
Lantana, Charlotte Place W1
Prufrock on Leather Lane EC1
Coffee Circus N8

Thei
Apr 17, 2012

Won't somebody think of the tentacles?!

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like we should make an OP with "Coming to London? We recommend these places: Hawksmoor, etc" at this point.

I'd like this, thought I think maybe aim it as places in the UK (main cities), but focusing on London. People do sometimes venture out of the capital and I can recommend some great places in the Midlands.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
I got a lot of love for the Liberty of Norton Folgate, tucked into the side of Broadgate tower. Whether its the delicious coffee, really friendly staff who remember a name and a face in a day, huge almond crossaints or the nice furniture and neat light fixture (of what I remember its the chemical formula for caffeine)

(or perhaps that its the place where I interviewed for my current job -and became the regular coffee spot for my first couple months there),

I got feels for the place. Closed at the weekends for all of January though, odd.

Also good to see some love for coffee circus -at my old job our office was based just off Camden market, the stream of young, talented baristas that passed through coffee circus' Camden market stands giving us £1 americanos (some of the best I've ever had, no less) and £1.30 cappucinos (let alone in the dead winter months) brought a welcome shot of energy and a bit of fun to the morning

DaveP fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 3, 2013

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
There's a really nice one next to my workplace called The Association (Creechurch Lane, EC3). Lovely interior, great coffee and all but way overpriced. I do end up going there every now and then but can't justify £2.40 for an Americano every day.

I actually really quite enjoy Pret's £1 black filter coffees, and think Pret are a lot better than any of the actual coffee chains out there.

Oh and no Monmouth mention yet? Their own actual coffee places are really good. But so many places now serve Monmouth coffee but they're very hit and miss.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

therattle posted:

Vagabond on Stroud Green Road N4
Flat White on Berwickstrasse W1
Milk Bar on Bateman Street W1
Kaffeine on Gt Titchfield St W1
Tapped & Packed, Rathbone Place and top of Tottenham Court Rd, W1
Lantana, Charlotte Place W1
Prufrock on Leather Lane EC1
Coffee Circus N8

Allpress - Redchurch Street, Shoreditch
Sacred - Holloway Road, Westfield and Covent Garden
Kopapa - Covent Garden
The Tapa Room - Marylebone
Scooter Cafe - Waterloo/Lambeth North

all need to be added as top notch coffee/brunch places

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This is really random but I found a loving excellent Lebanese place the other day up my neck of the woods.

BM Lebanese up in Northwood Hills. Excellent food, perfectly seasoned everything and the owner (Basil) is friendly and helpful. If you happen to be in the area, definitely give it a shot: http://bmlebanese.co.uk

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

That's a heap of great coffee place suggestions - thanks guys. I'll try to update the OP with that tonight!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Birdhouse in Clapham Junction is my new fave. Impeccable.

Brew on Northcote Rd also good but frequently rammed.

Nude on soho square (currently obscured by road construction poor bastards)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Does anyone know if Burger and Shake has a veggie option on their menu? Facebook suggests they trialled one a little while ago but not sure if that stuck.

Also, can anyone recommend anything cheap-ish (10-15pp) near Hyde Park?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The_Doctor posted:

I used all the recommendations in this thread to make a custom map for myself before our trip, maybe it would be useful to create a public Google Map that people can access? I found it really helpful to be able to have my phone zero in on where I was and then see what was within easy walking distance of my current location. My map only covers parts of the city where I planned to go, so I don't think it would be as good a resource, but if someone wanted to put the effort into a citywide map...

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007

angor posted:

Does anyone know if Burger and Shake has a veggie option on their menu? Facebook suggests they trialled one a little while ago but not sure if that stuck.

From memory, I don't think so, I shall have a look at their menu next time I'm walking by.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

On the subject of coming to London, me and my girlfriend are planning to come down to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre in March. Anyone have any favourites for a pre-theatre dinner, preferably around £20-30 per head, around Seven Dials/Covent Garden?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Maaaaaan, as a resigned caffeine addict, I love the coffee/brunch recommendations list, I've been living in London for ages and it's awful when you want to meet someone for non-alcoholic drink and half the time you end up stuck in some random goddamn Cafe Nero unless you're on Exmouth Market or something.

A public google map might be a brilliant idea too! I'll look into that (right after I finish moving house this weekend argh)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Raffles posted:

On the subject of coming to London, me and my girlfriend are planning to come down to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theatre in March. Anyone have any favourites for a pre-theatre dinner, preferably around £20-30 per head, around Seven Dials/Covent Garden?

If you book and get there early enough to order before 6 you could get a set menu at The Ivy, which would be pretty cool.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Raffles posted:

Arbutus is not very far and excellent, and does a pre-theatre menu.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Whoosh! Here's what I've done.

London restaurants recommended in this thread by location

If anyone thinks I've missed something, something doesn't belong or fancies helping me sort them by price (was thinking I could make the ultra cheap places a different colour to the ultra expensive ones.. some other day) let me know. I'll stick it in the OP once a few people have given me a thumbs up!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Neris posted:

Whoosh! Here's what I've done.

London restaurants recommended in this thread by location

If anyone thinks I've missed something, something doesn't belong or fancies helping me sort them by price (was thinking I could make the ultra cheap places a different colour to the ultra expensive ones.. some other day) let me know. I'll stick it in the OP once a few people have given me a thumbs up!

That's really great, thanks. Has Asukusa by Mornington Crescent not been recommended anywhere? It certainly deserves to be on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

I decided to get back on the train and went to Koya. Luckily got seated with less than 10 minutes wait. Really good stuff. It was my first time eating udon and I wasn't quite sure....how. I managed anyways, delicious.