Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Q_res posted:

The timing would be about right for this to have been a potential engine for the 787B before they settled on the 4-rotor, wouldn't it?

They had an article on jalopnik a few days ago about the weird poo poo Mazda did in the 80s and early 90s. I think that engine was developed for their new luxury line (think Lexus or Infiniti) that they were developing called Amanti or something. And yeah, that was the engine they were going to put in all those cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
He apparently made it round 20 laps this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8InG6T9pxs

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
spotted this on Skyline today. I love all the untouched bay-area bugs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Itzena posted:

He apparently made it round 20 laps this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8InG6T9pxs

Gotta love the S-10 (?) outrunning the 944.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

General_Failure posted:

I hope I didn't post this earlier and it's not technically a car but I thought it was cool. Took this pic last year or something like that.
I like how it looks like someone built a shed on a machine.

Reminds me of this (which originally came from SA, didn't it?)

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm not sure if this is awesome; someone who knows about widebody Mercedes(es) needs to confirm.

I've had 2 real 2.3-16V's. This is not real. Could be decent in the right hands, but not a "real/desireable" 190E by any means.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Budget Monty posted:

I've had 2 real 2.3-16V's. This is not real. Could be decent in the right hands, but not a "real/desireable" 190E by any means.

I don't think he was implying it was a 16v, since it had that Zender badge on the back.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That'd be these guys: http://www.1000sel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=32

From the days in the 80s when tacking poo poo onto your car meant speed and class.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

From the days in the 80s when tacking poo poo onto your car meant speed and class.
The 90s weren't much better:

Yes, that's an Astra. Yes, it's FWD. Yes, it has 345-section rear tyres.

Though occasionally such bodykits hide substance that deserves to be in this thread:

http://www.stuttgart9.co.uk/forum/other-exotics/5850-dimma-cosworth-4x4-old-skool.html

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

They had an article on jalopnik a few days ago about the weird poo poo Mazda did in the 80s and early 90s. I think that engine was developed for their new luxury line (think Lexus or Infiniti) that they were developing called Amanti or something. And yeah, that was the engine they were going to put in all those cars.

And that is why we were stuck with the piece of poo poo BP and FS-DE combination for so long in actual Mazda cars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just learned an awesome thing in a book I got for Christmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Quicksilver-F...rds=quicksilver

About this car Porsche designed for Mercedes for a land speed record in 1939:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_T80

Where they designed mechanical traction control for it!

quote:

3. ANTI-SPIN CONTROL

A noteworthy feature of the design of this machine was to be found in an over-riding throttle control, which automatically reduced the power output if excessive spin developed at the driving wheels. The principle of this device is as follows:-

A flexible drive, similar to that of a normal speedometer is taken from one of the front road wheels, and a second one from a point in the transmission just before the final drive unit, both drives terminating adjacent to the fuel injection unit. The drives are geared so as to rotate at equal speeds, but in opposite directions when the front and rear road wheels of the car are also rotating at equal speeds i.e. when there is no rear wheel-spin. The output ends of the two flexible drives are led into the opposite sides of a small differential unit, which is of similar construction to a normal final drive bevel type differential. In this case however the power is transmitted in the reverse direction, with the two flexible drives taking the place of the half-shafts.

When there is no rear wheel-spin, relative to the front wheels, the two drives are rotating at equal speeds, but in opposite directions and the differential cage therefore remains stationary. If at any time the rear wheels rotate more rapidly than the front wheels, this discrepancy is imparted by the drives to the sun-pinions of the differential, and the cage is forced to rotate. A drive is taken off the differential cage, through a governor to the Bosch fuel injection unit in such a manner that whenever the speed of rotation of the differential cage rises above a certain predetermined figure, due to excessive wheel slip, the drivers control of the fuel injection unit is over-ridden, reducing fuel injection, and consequently the power output.

No details of the effectiveness of this device could be obtained.

That's fuckin awesome! But I don't think they ever really built it, and they certainly never ran it, cause Hitler started doing some other stuff you've probably heard of.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

And that is why we were stuck with the piece of poo poo BP and FS-DE combination for so long in actual Mazda cars.

The FS is a huge pile of poo poo.

The BP wasn't that bad. Sorry it's no SR20 for you, but it provides reliable fun for many years with great mod-ability.

Now if only Mazda could build a transmission that would take piles of power... :allears:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The SR isn't that great compared to anything Honda was making at the time. I don't know why you assume I am such a SR20 lover.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Thought you were more of a Nissan fan in general since we don't normally see a lot of Mazdas at your place anymore.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

They are here in spirit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sockington posted:

The FS is a huge pile of poo poo.

The BP wasn't that bad. Sorry it's no SR20 for you, but it provides reliable fun for many years with great mod-ability.

Now if only Mazda could build a transmission that would take piles of power... :allears:

Second Gen RX7 Turbo II or Third Gen transmissions take~ 500hp without complaining.
The last revision of the RX8 apparently has a 6spd that will take 400-500hp. Going to test this one here soon, a dog box/hks 6spd is outta the question for my budget.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I am just hoping the T56 starts to get cheaper soon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Though occasionally such bodykits hide substance that deserves to be in this thread:

http://www.stuttgart9.co.uk/forum/other-exotics/5850-dimma-cosworth-4x4-old-skool.html

Holy poo poo

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

toaster_pastry posted:

spotted this on Skyline today. I love all the untouched bay-area bugs.

OT: Have they fixed the road up there yet? Last I heard it was ripped up and covered in gravel. (Between 9 and Alice's)
Edit: Yeah, still messed up.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 2, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

The 90s weren't much better:

That's an 80s model too isn't it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dissss posted:

That's an 80s model too isn't it?
It's more those bodykits really took off in the early-to-mid 90s. Witness issue 1 of Max Power - say what you like, they certainly started as they meant to go on.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I took a nice photo of a nice car and just thought I would share it with you all.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Anybody knows what this car is? I like it.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Facel Vega HK500.

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 2, 2013

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

beedeebee posted:

It's a Facel Vega. Possibly a HK500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facel

[Edit] Dammit

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

beedeebee posted:

Facel Vega. A French car with a Chrysler V8. The one in the background is a Lancia Fulvia.

E: Beaten. Twice.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
I'm being out AI'd by some new person at work. Yesterday they drove an old ratty VW Rabbit diesel with a bale of hay in the back, today this:

I'm feeling very inadequate here.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

hiddenmovement posted:

I took a nice photo of a nice car and just thought I would share it with you all.

That's a great looking example - how's a car like that play over in Australia? I guess out West you fit right in :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I'm being out AI'd by some new person at work. Yesterday they drove an old ratty VW Rabbit diesel with a bale of hay in the back, today this:

A Grumman mail truck, stripped down to bare aluminum like the canoes, is my dad's dream vehicle. That's awesome.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I'm trying to place those wheels - Ford Thunderbird?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Das Volk posted:

That's a great looking example - how's a car like that play over in Australia? I guess out West you fit right in :v:

There's actually quite a lot of LHD cars getting around Brisbane.

A guy around the corner from my work has a few and their always parked on the road. Has a Coupe De Ville, an old Falcon and some massive ute.

Can't remember what its called but basically one of those land barges with the huge trunks but looks like its had the back seats removed, the rear window moved all the way up to the drivers and a massive massive bed in the back. It has to be at least 4m long, I reckon I could park my S15 in it if it had ramps up to the back.

I see a ton of LHD Mustangs driving around as well.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

amenenema posted:

I'm trying to place those wheels - Ford Thunderbird?
'88-'93 VW "Bitch Basket" Cabriolet

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Puddin posted:

There's actually quite a lot of LHD cars getting around Brisbane.

A guy around the corner from my work has a few and their always parked on the road. Has a Coupe De Ville, an old Falcon and some massive ute.

Can't remember what its called but basically one of those land barges with the huge trunks but looks like its had the back seats removed, the rear window moved all the way up to the drivers and a massive massive bed in the back. It has to be at least 4m long, I reckon I could park my S15 in it if it had ramps up to the back.

I see a ton of LHD Mustangs driving around as well.

The El Camino? Mustangs are pretty common here in London as well, the Arabs here love em.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Not really a fan of STAX, but I'll give this guy a pass.

I almost couldn't get a picture without getting out of my car, I was too low and he was too high :p

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Das Volk posted:

The El Camino? Mustangs are pretty common here in London as well, the Arabs here love em.

It could be a late 70's Elky, but the late 70's Ranchero was even bigger.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VikingSkull posted:

It could be a late 70's Elky, but the late 70's Ranchero was even bigger.

I think they might be talking about one of those ridiculous utes made from Caddys etc. for funerals. Flower cars or something like that?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

FuzzKill posted:

Not really a fan of STAX, but I'll give this guy a pass.

I almost couldn't get a picture without getting out of my car, I was too low and he was too high :p

People who hate the Prius are stupid and should rethink their position.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

People who hate the Prius are stupid and should rethink their position.

I hate the Prius. But I also hate this truck. I'm so confused.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance. It is not a great car if you enjoy driving cars. After driving one, I understand why people are always driving slowly in front of me in them, it's because the car begs you to drive it slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightbulb Out posted:

In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance.

Can it make toast?