Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance. It is not a great car if you enjoy driving cars. After driving one, I understand why people are always driving slowly in front of me in them, it's because the car begs you to drive it slowly.
Every time I've driven one, I've driven it exactly the same speed as I drive everything else. And I had it up to an indicated 108 without much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance. It is not a great car if you enjoy driving cars. After driving one, I understand why people are always driving slowly in front of me in them, it's because the car begs you to drive it slowly.

Its a farce though, its a supposedly 'Green' car that is anything but as far as its construction, the only thing efficient about it is its fuel milage. That is about it.

Like you said, its an appliance, but not a particularly good one.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Those who paid for it funded future hybrid vehicles to come out later. Early adopters always spur future projects.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Plus for all the poo poo we give it, the Prius is one of the few cars that still upholds Toyota's old reputation for making solid cars. It may not be fun, nor particularly eco-friendly in the big picture, but it's a model with, as far as I know, no major issues or design flaws like other cars tend to have.

Obviously it's not really possible for the DIY'er to work on, but then what is these days?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

ultimateforce posted:

People who hate the Prius are stupid and should rethink their position.

The waste generated in the mining/refining/production of all the rare earth metals that go into the prius more than offset the ecological gains generated by its "good" gas mileage.:ssh:

Also, like others have said, they're boring and spongy and generally horrible if you actually enjoy being behind the wheel. Fairly comfy though:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Plus for all the poo poo we give it, the Prius is one of the few cars that still upholds Toyota's old reputation for making solid cars. It may not be fun, nor particularly eco-friendly in the big picture, but it's a model with, as far as I know, no major issues or design flaws like other cars tend to have.

Guess that is why they recalled 2.77 Million worldwide for 2005-2009 Prius.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The waste generated in the mining/refining/production of all the rare earth metals that go into the prius more than offset the ecological gains generated by its "good" gas mileage.:ssh:

Don't forget the higher starting retail price.

In the end, if you like the Prius, fine. But arguing that it is some sort of mythical solution is rather foolish considering its manufacturing costs on the environment compared to other green vehicles. I'd be lying if I didn't agree they are comfy and have a nice interior compared to the new Jetta TDIs, which feel kind of plasticy, and I hate the DSG transmission, I'd much rather they keep the 6 speed manual.

Its like something out of a Sci Fi...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They seem to be quite reliable, have decent interior space, and get around fairly efficiently. I'd say that's a decent appliance. That's not to say other cars are not a better "green" solution, but I don't think the Prius is a bad car. I definitely have no desire to own one.

Maybe we should ask the professor?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

They seem to be quite reliable, have decent interior space, and get around fairly efficiently. I'd say that's a decent appliance. That's not to say other cars are not a better "green" solution, but I don't think the Prius is a bad car. I definitely have no desire to own one.

Maybe we should ask the professor?

I agree, I can't call them BAD, that is for sure. Like I said, if you like it, what is the point in me telling you that you are wrong? Its your taste and choice.

But its not as green as it was made out to be, except for its city fuel economy.

And poor professor, he just wants a home :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

And poor professor, he just wants a home :(

He has a home, I just couldn't get a great photo of it. It's going in a dirt track Modified racer of some sort.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Also, like others have said, they're boring and spongy and generally horrible if you actually enjoy being behind the wheel. Fairly comfy though:v:

I loving know making batteries makes pollution. I knew there were going to be these chestnuts coming but I still left that out of my post. I am a fool.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Either way, compared to this thing:
I'll take a Prius any day.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Rhyno posted:

Can it make toast?

You're gonna want a Karma for that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

ultimateforce posted:

Every Prius I have ever had the pleasure of servicing always smells like absolute poo poo inside. 100 percent of the time no exceptions. Im just making an observation here.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 4, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Every Prius I have ever had the pleasure of servicing always smells like absolute poo poo inside. 100 percent of the time no exceptions. Im just making an observation here.

Same here. Also the center console lid is broken on ALL 20 series. All of them.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Same here. Also the center console lid is broken on ALL 20 series. All of them.

Not the one I drive! :haw: Not a single broken thing inside. The interior's got some stains but that's just because my aunt/uncle basically use it as a pickup truck. Doesn't smell either, my aunt wouldn't be having any of that.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I'd be lying if I didn't agree they are comfy and have a nice interior compared to the new Jetta TDIs, which feel kind of plasticy, and I hate the DSG transmission, I'd much rather they keep the 6 speed manual.
Aaand that's why I bought the wagon TDI with the 6 speed

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ultimateforce posted:

Those who paid for it funded future hybrid vehicles to come out later. Early adopters always spur future projects.

Hook, line and sinker with the marketing BS mate. And that's all hybrids actually are.

If you gave a poo poo about real world fuel economy and cheap to run - plus actual good cars - the kind of diesels say like Ford is putting out smack the Prius stupid. And are cheaper. And are much better cars. And even good enough that a red raving lunatic like me gets grudgingly won over by the new gen Fiesta which is in truth quite a bloody good thing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Steve French posted:

Aaand that's why I bought the wagon TDI with the 6 speed

That and it's super nice to have the space for all my stuff for a long-ish trip.

I don't even regularly need all the extra space, but it's nice that it is there. Also, MT.

Then again, mine is a 2010, so the plastics feel less lovely, and the interior is less rubbish than the Jettas of today.

Also, the leatherette just reminds me of the cars my dad had as a kid, so I kinda like them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody cares about your opinion of the Prius, i hope this helps. :tipshat:

Here's Ronnie Peterson demonstrating to Emmo Fittipaldi the concept of opposite lock.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Not entirely sure bout the BBS wheels but the colour is perfect.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ultimateforce posted:

Yeah save the environment maaan :smug:

:supaburn:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mach 40

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Zenostein posted:

That and it's super nice to have the space for all my stuff for a long-ish trip.

I don't even regularly need all the extra space, but it's nice that it is there. Also, MT.

Then again, mine is a 2010, so the plastics feel less lovely, and the interior is less rubbish than the Jettas of today.

Also, the leatherette just reminds me of the cars my dad had as a kid, so I kinda like them.

The Jetta SportWagen currently on the market is still a MkV Jetta underneath, so it's a lot nicer than the MkVI Jetta sedans. If I was in the market for another wagon, I'd pick one of those up for sure. I'm planning to buy my inlaws' JSW TDI in a couple years.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I am honestly surprised to see this tired old bullshit on this forum of all places.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sandoz posted:

I am honestly surprised to see this tired old bullshit on this forum of all places.

It's not that much bullshit, though. Manufacturing batteries for hybrid or electric cars isn't really good environmentally, especially since so much of the stuff needed comes out of huge strip mines in China. Also, the Prius isn't even the most efficient hybrid you can buy.

I'm not one to trot out such arguments because it's pretty clear that alternative power sources are needed and for the vast majority of people who aren't internal combustion favoring gearheads like us, the quicker we can get there the better. I think that the Prius especially gets the ire of people here because the community of those who buy one are also the douchebags that act superior because they are saving the environment without actually knowing how a car is manufactured.

Should hybrids or EV's be shunned because some of the manufacturing processes are not ideal for the environment? No way in hell. Should condescending Prius owners be dicked with because they are ignorant? Absofuckinglutely.

e- Here's a piece from the NY Times on mining practices in China

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 4, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have to agree, especially with the stories I heard from a friend of mine who lives in california of all the iCar 1 owners who dumped their old Prius on cl for rock bottom price the second the iCar 2 came out.

Gotta have the latest! At least their old ones went to people who got a steal on them and are saving money hand over fist.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I think that the Prius especially gets the ire of people here because the community of those who buy one are also the douchebags that act superior because they are saving the environment without actually knowing how a car is manufactured.

How do they compare to the community of douchebags that act superior because they read a fw:fw:fw:fw: email from their grandmother about how those stupid hippies and their Prius are worse for the environment than H2 owners?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
C'mon guys, enough of all this Prius chat unless you've got a turbocharged one:
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-1/A_112194/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-2/A_112195/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-3/A_112196/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Story-of-Turboing-a-Hybrid-Prius-Part-4/A_112197/article.html
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112198/article.html

...it's still cool though.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
The best Prius.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

...it's still cool though.

Has anybody made a gigantic fart-can for the 10 Turbo yet?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I think everyone is misplacing judgement here. I like the Prius, it's filled with useful technology to make it cheaper to own and friendlier to the only planet we can occupy. But I loathe the dickheads that drive them. Note I didn't say all drivers who drive a Prius are dickheads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sandoz posted:

Let's end it now, then. The environmental qualities of the batteries in the Most Boring Car........In The World are neither awesome nor AI.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sandoz posted:

How do they compare to the community of douchebags that act superior because they read a fw:fw:fw:fw: email from their grandmother about how those stupid hippies and their Prius are worse for the environment than H2 owners?

I don't think I ever said that, nor did I say that the Prius is a bad car. You do look a little silly ignoring that some of the processes involved in the manufacture of hybrids aren't ideal, though. Do you honestly think that rare earth mining is harmless?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

oil extraction and refinement doesn't exactly have the best track record in that regard either.
But IOC is right, this arguement doesn't belong here.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You're right, it's a derail.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Oh god, the Hairy Olds is one of the greatest, most insane things ever created. A 442 powered by a 455 at each end of the car, the front engine powering the front wheels and the rear engine powering the rear wheels. Even cut holes in the fenders for the smoke to pour through.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I hate the Prius for the horrible driving dynamics, also the people that drive them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

echoplex posted:

Not entirely sure bout the BBS wheels but the colour is perfect.

Wait, someone actually painted over the stainless steel? :confused:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Root Bear posted:

Wait, someone actually painted over the stainless steel? :confused:

That's what happens when it gets into an accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12.

This is a friends Ford Festiva he's currently putting together.
Said Festiva has a miata 1.8 BP engine.
Said Festiva also retains the factory power steering and air conditioning.

It looks totally boring and bland until you lift the hood.

His old BP Festiva looked like rear end but it was quite fun to drive.