Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paddyo posted:

Try this tutorial series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3D7qq61iw
It's a little dated, but all of the core concepts are the same, and they do a pretty professional job. I've just picked up HOI3 again after being scared away the first time. I strongly encourage you to pick up the Complete version and the latest expansion. It really is a brand new game. All of the glaring flaws have been eliminated, and new features give it a lot of depth that OCD freaks like me really appreciate. There is still a ton of micromanagement for the majors unless you are willing to trust the AI with your pretty panzers.

Thanks for this! I did get the complete version and the newest expansion because I'm a paradox vet (been playing since vanilla HOI 2) and I know how much the expansions add content wise.

My dream is to expand the comintern to the Iberian countries and get them involved in WWII. I'd also like to see if I can prevent Hitler from taking the Ukraine/Poland in '42. That seems like a reasonable goal, right?

I started HOI 2 with Russia since it doesn't need a navy or strong air force to succeed, yet actually has enough interesting gameplay that you're not off in South America doing nothing the whole game while you learn. Is that still the case here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
From my experience you will pretty much lose as USSR from Barbarossa if you don't prepare carefully.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So in EU3, I became so rich, that I think my ducat counter hit the maximum and went negative. I'm now -2 million ducats. How do I fix this?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Saint Celestine posted:

So in EU3, I became so rich, that I think my ducat counter hit the maximum and went negative. I'm now -2 million ducats. How do I fix this?

Edit your savegame and set it to whatever it was. Searching for human=yes will lead you to your nation, then find the ducats figure in your section and change it back. I recommend using Notepad++, regular Notepad would always hang up on huge EU3 save files.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
New version with lots of fun new things. Should be save game compatible but it's not guaranteed (EU3 is unpredictable in that regard).

quote:

1.03:
- Non-colonizing AIs who seize colonies during war will now return them after the war ends.
- Non-colonizers who seize colonies will now get a very large penalty to colonial growth.
- Improved AI logic for choosing where to colonize, this should hopefully lead to less patchwork colonization.
- Added new 'national sentiment' events for Ireland and Netherlands where if all Irish/Dutch minors are annexed, their cores are removed and replaced with cores for Ireland/Netherlands.
- Fixed a bug where some CBs would give crazy amounts of prestige due to an engine math error.
- Changed the way accepted cultures work. You can now accept any culture in your non-overseas core provinces through a decision, but doing so costs 2 stability for a culture in your culture group, and 4 stability for a culture outside your culture group.
- You will no longer lose accepted cultures as long as they remain part of your tax base.
- Fixed a bug where some provinces in South America would not get a tradegood.
- Indonesian colonies will no longer produce Chinaware.
- Integrated Can Omer's map. Credit to ThePutty for partial integration.

Download EU3+ 1.03 (mirror)

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Couple of province bugs, Volhynia still has a Lithuanian core, and Argyn is an exclave of Qurighar, unless that's intentional. Mordvar also has a Kazani core, though it's not Kazani culture nor is it Sunni. Also, I don't really think I should get any credit, that all should probably go to yourself and CanOmer for making the original map. I didn't do much in the way of work, really.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 4, 2013

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

axeil posted:

I started HOI 2 with Russia since it doesn't need a navy or strong air force to succeed, yet actually has enough interesting gameplay that you're not off in South America doing nothing the whole game while you learn. Is that still the case here?

in HoI3 you need to prepare properly for when the germans come knocking as PhantomZero said. It is also a huge country and might be a little overwhelming the first time you play. My suggestion is usually to try italy first time you play. You get a little war against Ethiopia at the start to get used to the mechanics without worrying about others intervening and you can enter axis roughly whenever you want so you have a lot of control if you want to go slow and learn. Later your main job is going to be to close the mediterranean and not be useless in africa so the germans can do what germans do best (blitz). Then depending on how it goes against the royal navy and africa try and help out with either defending occcupied france, help out with barbarossa if its going badly or plan invasions of UK. You can get similar play with spain as well, but it is lot harder.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The Spanish Civil War is a great training grounds as well. Just a few units and a few provinces, but with lots of rivers and varied terrain, so you can get the feel of the mechanics of combat.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

Well, it looks like you've got your work cut out for you!

Maybe you could find some sufficiently :japan: history goons to help you with finding some of the names for defining baronies?

TBH I was planning to do just City/Castle/Temple of [province name].

quote:

Also, I find that Text Mechanic is really helpful for doing long lists of things, like for localizations.csv and such.

Interesting tool that, but browser based, I don't know. I was doing alright with notepad++ (regexp), google, and batch files so far.

Fun fact: Sengoku has 912 characters defined, but only 10 are women.

Riso fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 4, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

podcat posted:

in HoI3 you need to prepare properly for when the germans come knocking as PhantomZero said. It is also a huge country and might be a little overwhelming the first time you play. My suggestion is usually to try italy first time you play. You get a little war against Ethiopia at the start to get used to the mechanics without worrying about others intervening and you can enter axis roughly whenever you want so you have a lot of control if you want to go slow and learn. Later your main job is going to be to close the mediterranean and not be useless in africa so the germans can do what germans do best (blitz). Then depending on how it goes against the royal navy and africa try and help out with either defending occcupied france, help out with barbarossa if its going badly or plan invasions of UK. You can get similar play with spain as well, but it is lot harder.

I'd add as a warning that if Italy is your first game, the Axis will lose WWII and that's okay. If Italy is still kicking by 1945, you did good. If you're the last Axis nation to fall, you did great. If you do somehow win WWII (which would need a landed invasion of the USA and Canada, which is nigh impossible) then you are great. You can maybe win WWII if you keep a nuclear bomb side-project going the whole game, and then nuke the USA into submission, but even getting the nukes in range of any cities of value in the USA will wreck such havoc on your navy and airforce that even if you manage to nuke them you'll probably have to pray Japan somehow manages to grab parts of California to finish them off. Your real best bet is to just accept WWII will never end officially, and just keep not-America dominated by the Axis while fighting off random Allied invasions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Am I right to say in EU3 (and EU3+), there is no point in constructing trade buildings if you don't send your merchants out?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Vegetable posted:

Am I right to say in EU3 (and EU3+), there is no point in constructing trade buildings if you don't send your merchants out?

Trade value affects a province's production income (income = trade value x PE%) so you'd be wrong :)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Vegetable posted:

In addition to what the other guy said you get tax income based on your provinces trade value and your trade efficiency (tolls).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
What all this means, of course, is that the Post Office is the best thing ever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Okay that explains -a lot- about why I'm falling behind every other country in production income. Made no sense to me since I built all the production buildings available to me.

Also this, wow

Edit: Another EU3+ question: I have occupied four-province Livorno but only have 99% warscore. The game shows each province's warscore and they even add up to 100%. Is this just a thing to keep nations from annexing each other? If so that blows because I've never seen an AI become Dishonourable Scum.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 4, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like we're not getting another EU4 dev dairy again this week. Why do you have to bust my balls like this, Paradox? :argh:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Okay that explains -a lot- about why I'm falling behind every other country in production income. Made no sense to me since I built all the production buildings available to me.

Also this, wow

Edit: Another EU3+ question: I have occupied four-province Livorno but only have 99% warscore. The game shows each province's warscore and they even add up to 100%. Is this just a thing to keep nations from annexing each other? If so that blows because I've never seen an AI become Dishonourable Scum.

They're probably occupying a province somewhere. Can't annex a country if they're doing that.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
There's a couple of problems in the province history still for the new EUIII+, Wiz. The Ikko-Ikki don't have a CoT at startup like they did in the Azerimod scenario, with a Japanese CoT instead being in Kyoto like in the standard scenario. Additionally, the french provinces in the Azeri LP scenario all have the cores from the standard scenario, which leads to some weird CBs and revolters.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spiderfist Island posted:

There's a couple of problems in the province history still for the new EUIII+, Wiz. The Ikko-Ikki don't have a CoT at startup like they did in the Azerimod scenario, with a Japanese CoT instead being in Kyoto like in the standard scenario. Additionally, the french provinces in the Azeri LP scenario all have the cores from the standard scenario, which leads to some weird CBs and revolters.

The first is WAD, I felt that all the Daimyos happily trading through the Ikko-Ikki was weird. Which cores are you talking about in the second case?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean about weird cores. Fixing.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 4, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Rhodes has Knights Hospitaller cores in the azeri start date which is kinda weird. Also Austria having core on Lienz when it isn't actually Austria proper adjacent is sort of silly. Maybe give them cores on Karnten also/instead.

e: Also Castille having cores on Caceres (Order of Santiago) means that the poor monks their get slaughtered.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 4, 2013

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

run DNC posted:

Rhodes has Knights Hospitaller cores in the azeri start date which is kinda weird. Also Austria having core on Lienz when it isn't actually Austria proper adjacent is sort of silly. Maybe give them cores on Karnten also/instead.

e: Also Castille having cores on Caceres (Order of Santiago) means that the poor monks their get slaughtered.

Fixed, fixed and fixed. Keep reporting these, it's hard for me to track down every single little core error between the two scenarios.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

RabidWeasel posted:

Looks like we're not getting another EU4 dev dairy again this week. Why do you have to bust my balls like this, Paradox? :argh:

EUIV team is still on their holidays, the slackers!

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Wiz posted:

New version with lots of fun new things. Should be save game compatible but it's not guaranteed (EU3 is unpredictable in that regard).

Download EU3+ 1.03 (mirror)

Wish I could make myself play this, but the wonky looking borders of the "vanilla"map really make me upset, I think using one of the maps with the more "organic/historical" looking borders is not possible without extended modding ? I guess so, otherwise I would know how to do it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

skipThings posted:

Wish I could make myself play this, but the wonky looking borders of the "vanilla"map really make me upset, I think using one of the maps with the more "organic/historical" looking borders is not possible without extended modding ? I guess so, otherwise I would know how to do it.

If a new map has the same province counts/names, than it's not bad at all, just a matter of dropping the right files in the right directories. But since every single alternate map I've looked at has a greatly changed province count, they all require some pretty extensive modding.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

SeaTard posted:

If a new map has the same province counts/names, than it's not bad at all, just a matter of dropping the right files in the right directories. But since every single alternate map I've looked at has a greatly changed province count, they all require some pretty extensive modding.

it's the one from miscmods expanded, it's not as bad as most of the other maps with a thousand more provinces and dumb poo poo so that the HRE has provinces inside of provinces, but probably more provnices than the vanilla map, yes :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

Wiz has already answered your question, but for completions sake I feel the need to point out that the numbers shown when you're doing peace offers are rounded, so you can't always count on the numbers adding up to what you'd expect.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I really hope EU4 has good multiplayer support. It is fun to play these games with friends enemies, I haven't tried it with HOI3 because I am sure it would just die. I liked how HOI2 had the apocalypse/alt history scenarios with massive countries starting off roughly the same, worked well since it seems having a lot of events causes desyncs when trying to play a historical scenario.

The small campaign-type scenarios were also fun to play multiplayer.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fixes and things.

quote:

1.04:
- Fixed a bug that was causing the national sentiment events to fire repeatedly.
- Added a national sentiment event for Greece.
- Religious decision modifiers (such as Advancement of Religion Act or Declaration of Indulgence) will now be removed at maintenance pulse if they no longer make sense for a country to have because of policy changes or conversion.
- Any countries force-released or released as a vassal by a Revolutionary Republic or Empire should now become a Revolutionary Republic (it may take a few days after release for this to take effect).
- You can no longer settlement policy accepted cultures.
- Accept Culture decisions for cultures you only have overseas provinces of will no longer show up in the decisions menu.

Download EU3+ 1.04 (mirror)

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I was trying EU3+ just now and this happened, I suppose it's some bug where the new ruler didn't get a name or something? Or is this normal?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's an easter egg from when Wiz somehow had a streak of unnamed rulers in his CK1 game in the Azeri thread.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

It's an easter egg from when Wiz somehow had a streak of unnamed rulers in his CK1 game in the Azeri thread.

Oh, ok ok :D
I'm seeing that a lot of stuff is different, quite a new experience with EU3. I think I'll enjoy this :)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Eu3+ La Mancha Cadiz and Badajoz have Castillian cores in the Najjars Scenario, and the Baleares is an Aragonese core. Not sure if Sweden is supposed to have cores on all of Finland but they do.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

theghostpt posted:

I was trying EU3+ just now and this happened, I suppose it's some bug where the new ruler didn't get a name or something? Or is this normal?

The Nameless live on!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

run DNC posted:

Eu3+ La Mancha Cadiz and Badajoz have Castillian cores in the Najjars Scenario, and the Baleares is an Aragonese core. Not sure if Sweden is supposed to have cores on all of Finland but they do.

First two are bugs, latter is not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

It's even better when it happens while you're laying siege to their only province with a huge army. Hmm yes, that certainly seems like a reasonable peace deal given the circumstances. I think they're hoping that you'll misclick.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Phlegmish posted:

It's even better when it happens while you're laying siege to their only province with a huge army. Hmm yes, that certainly seems like a reasonable peace deal given the circumstances. I think they're hoping that you'll misclick.

That's probably what the AI is trying to do in CK2 when they agree to your terms for a betrothal and then spam you with marriage offers that are the opposite of your terms.

And then you break the betrothal and matrilineally marry them anyway so what was the point of that you jerk :mad:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Not to mention how reluctant they are to accept peace deals. If I have 75 warscore and their war capacity is like 60 points below mine there's really no reason for them not to accept my peace deal of "just give me this one loving province it's only worth 10 warscore Jesus Christ."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

This began with Divine Wind and its horribly implemented "Call to Arms" system, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Kavak posted:

This began with Divine Wind and its horribly implemented "Call to Arms" system, as far as I can tell.

IIRC the AI's always had delusions of granduer when it domes to peace deals, DW only increased the number of demands you had to put up with. The AI is quite adorable at times, when they get deluded like that I imagine the AI rulers as being like Hitler in the last days of WW2- ordering offensives with imaginary armies, convinced that they're winning because no one will dare tell them otherwise.

The Paradox AI is in many ways impressive if you assume it's trying to emulate an inbred nobility shielded from reality and convinced of its own brilliance, we just haven't appreciated Paradox's genius in this area.

• Locked thread