Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DPW
Oct 2, 2004

O Bother.

camoseven posted:

That's awesome. I lived in the Indy area for a long time and never made it to Saltire Games. How long has it been around?

I've only been here like a year and a half but I can ask the owners tomorrow if you would like.

And yes I know the grid but I suck and its a go board and the owner now loves the email copy so mission accomplished.

But enough talk about my stupid posters. New episode of tabletop watching in now never heard of this game but I love Economic games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Just played galaxy trucker for the first time. Great game but its pretty unforgiving. We joked the tag line should be "In space, no one can hear you suck".

We played twice, so out of 6 rounds we only had 1 where all 3 players made it home, and 2 where no one did. I'm sure most if that was us being lovely newbies who can't build ships, and it did get better by the end, but I didn't expect such cute cartoony cards to be so brutal.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

Rondette posted:

We spent a very exciting NYE doing this-

Ah, so tidy. Galaxy Trucker is really hilarious. My so's space ship got totally pummelled in about 2 goes. I didn't fare too well either, but still managed to win. I'm looking forward to playing it with more than 2 people, I think the spaceship building section will get a lot more competitive.

Playing Netrunner against the cat. She wasn't very good at it. (no opposable thumbs you see)

Any UK board game goons who live near Birmingham might be interested in Afternoon Play. It's an open, very casual 'club' which is normally on the first Sunday of each month, however this month it is on the 13th. All you need is to turn up! Everything from 7 Wonders to Race for the Galaxy to Lego games are played.

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Thanks for the info about this club.
I'm in Northampton, which isn't hours away, but the train fare might make it a bit expensive. I do enjoy a game of Galaxy Trucker or 7 Wonders though :D
Hmmm, maybe one Sunday...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10923366#10923366

Awia posted:

Sweet! I've been looking for a boardgame club within a train ride of me, There are none in Stafford.

Natrapx posted:

Oh sweet! I'm a Birmingham Goon, and have a load of friends into board games too. i'll check this out :D

Right Fellow UK-ers. Just to quell the meet thing here are some resources.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/calendar-2013.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/clubs.html

Right Fellow Midlands/Brum goons.
In that Brum club list, Dragoon's Den do the only Sunday, midday till midnight monthly event by the way. The others last a few to several hours. Afternoon Play can migrate to a nearby pub afterwards for more gaming.

Coventry are doing a one-off Sunday event this Sunday so going to that instead of the delayed Afternoon play and that's closer to Northampton.
http://www.meetup.com/The-Coventry-Gamers-Group/

Carpooling to the conventions around Birmingham like Leicester/Burton/Telford and Derby can happen sometimes if convenience is good and you are not a grognard.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Kingdom Death's Monster has 3 days left and it's really starting to look like they're pushing for a new miniature's game instead of a traditional board game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster

I mean I love the miniatures aside from the silly boobies on a good quarter of them but I hope it's more than just a tiny 4x4 grid of boss battles. I'm funding mainly for the sweet monster minis. They certainly know how to run a Kickstarter via their rewards system.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.
I was looking to see if BGG do any SA microbadges when I stumbled on this.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13594/anyone-a-member-of-somethingawful-com-who-would-wa

Richard Hutnik posted:

Anyone a member of somethingawful.com who would want to help me out with W.W.B?

So, again I have this project to get he word out about horrible W.W.B is, and see where it goes there. I thought getting on somethingawful.com would be cool for W.W.B. The gotcha is that there is a membership fee. So, I would ask here, if you are a member of somethingawful.com and would want to help get the word out, could you get word about W.W.B in the games forum? I would love to see W.W.B go viral over there.

Thanks...

W.W.B was this thing.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99918/w-w-b

So yeah poo poo games exist.... spread the word everyone. Would be worse with a zombies retheme I think.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That game has to be a joke.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
What the gently caress is this thing? Is it like a lovely, ham-fisted parody of roll-and-move games?

"go viral"? How exactly does he think SA works?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FelchTragedy posted:

W.W.B was this thing.

So yeah poo poo games exist.... spread the word everyone. Would be worse with a zombies retheme I think.
I have to take this to grognards.txt

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FelchTragedy posted:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13594/anyone-a-member-of-somethingawful-com-who-would-wa

W.W.B was this thing.

So it's a roll and move game using cards instead of a board, except the cards don't really shuffle around or mean anything, it's just a board with 100 spaces. When you roll you have a 5 in 6 chance of going nowhere, and a 1 in 6 chance of moving a single square (why is the die labeled five when you only move once?). And every single time you successfully, actually move, you have a 5 in 6 chance of going back to START. And you need to move 100 times before any other player does, even though your chances of moving a single space successfully are 1 in 36.

And on top of that, if you move into a space with another player, you both go back to start. What the gently caress is this :psyduck:

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Space Cadets is a great real-time co-operative space game! My family and I've played 3 rounds of it, and with a generous amount of cheating we've won 2 times. It's set up similar to Space Alert: 5 people on a ship attempting to kill enemies with a time limit on turns. The difference is that in Space Cadets each person has one or two 30-second minigame stations, and how well you do in those determines how well the ship does as well as how much extra help you give to other stations. The game has been pretty rough so far, even on the easiest difficulty, but it also seems to have a lot of replayability (different damage cards, ships, stations, missions) and is just really really fun. Directly compared to Space Alert, I would say this game has less required communication but more individual skill. If your group likes Space Alert, give Space Cadets a shot!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

gnome7 posted:

And on top of that, if you move into a space with another player, you both go back to start. What the gently caress is this :psyduck:

I'm honestly reminded of this PA strip.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FelchTragedy posted:

Right Fellow UK-ers. Just to quell the meet thing here are some resources.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/calendar-2013.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the-labyrinth/games/clubs.html

Right Fellow Midlands/Brum goons.
In that Brum club list, Dragoon's Den do the only Sunday, midday till midnight monthly event by the way. The others last a few to several hours. Afternoon Play can migrate to a nearby pub afterwards for more gaming.

Coventry are doing a one-off Sunday event this Sunday so going to that instead of the delayed Afternoon play and that's closer to Northampton.

Carpooling to the conventions around Birmingham like Leicester/Burton/Telford and Derby can happen sometimes if convenience is good and you are not a grognard.
You are the best, thank you very much.

I spend holidays in MK so this is great, for anyone else living in or around Milton Keynes the War Games Workshop at the Kingston Centre also has a games night every Friday as well, I suspect it's mostly War Games but the guy behind the counter did mention boardgames.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Hey I got Mage Knight today and I thought the box was kind of miserable. Then I threw out the city/miniature insert, put all player associated chits and cards into baggies and it was instantly better. It even recommends doing that in the rule book, which I found kind of adorable. I then proceeded to spend 6 or so hours divided evenly between learning the game and then playing another first recon scenario. This is my first experience with a Vlaada game, and I am thoroughly impressed. The main mechanics of the game are relatively simple, but then it has all this glorious thematic fluff that you have to pay attention to. Without all that stuff I think the game would be rather flat. It's going to take some time before I can play a full game without constantly referring to the rule book, but I'm looking at that as a good thing. There's an absolutely immense depth to the game that's sort of mind boggling.

One of the things I learned in the first game is not to be so shy about fighting monsters. I wasn't quite sure how powerful I was in relation to some of the weaker starting monsters, but it turned out I could usually handle myself.

Also, the first recon mission is designed impeccably as far as teaching the game goes. Everything is introduced right when you need to know about it and not a second sooner, so players aren't bogged down weighing out the options of cards they probably won't get to use until a few rounds into the game. I still feel like I'm in no position to teach it, but I have a few friends who I think will eat this game right up. Can't wait to get it on a (large) table with a friend.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

FelchTragedy posted:

Incidentally, there is a BGG SA microbadge. It's... actually tasteful, if not exactly memorable.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

bobvonunheil posted:

Incidentally, there is a BGG SA microbadge. It's... actually tasteful, if not exactly memorable.

I actually got that badge a couple of days ago. :haw:

Also, BL's like the fourth or fifth person mentioned on that list of BGGers who have the badge. Is he still probated?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I'm also a Midlands goon needing a boardgames group - thanks all for the links.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

apophenium posted:

Hey I got Mage Knight today and I thought the box was kind of miserable. Then I threw out the city/miniature insert, put all player associated chits and cards into baggies and it was instantly better. It even recommends doing that in the rule book, which I found kind of adorable. I then proceeded to spend 6 or so hours divided evenly between learning the game and then playing another first recon scenario. This is my first experience with a Vlaada game, and I am thoroughly impressed. The main mechanics of the game are relatively simple, but then it has all this glorious thematic fluff that you have to pay attention to. Without all that stuff I think the game would be rather flat. It's going to take some time before I can play a full game without constantly referring to the rule book, but I'm looking at that as a good thing. There's an absolutely immense depth to the game that's sort of mind boggling.

One of the things I learned in the first game is not to be so shy about fighting monsters. I wasn't quite sure how powerful I was in relation to some of the weaker starting monsters, but it turned out I could usually handle myself.

Also, the first recon mission is designed impeccably as far as teaching the game goes. Everything is introduced right when you need to know about it and not a second sooner, so players aren't bogged down weighing out the options of cards they probably won't get to use until a few rounds into the game. I still feel like I'm in no position to teach it, but I have a few friends who I think will eat this game right up. Can't wait to get it on a (large) table with a friend.

Played the game twice with some friends and it definitely does take a few plays to get the hang of things. Being aggressive is important and in this game it's better to err on the more aggressive side than the passive side. Unfortunately, one problem I did see with this game is that it can spiral pretty badly (Descent: JitD which we also finished campaign of recently also has the same problem). At a certain point, once one gets ahead, it's difficult not to stay ahead since more killing things = XP and more and better stuff = killing bigger things = even more XP and better stuff and so forth.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has anyone here tried shogun before? If so, how strategic is the building/action portion of the game? It looks neat because it's not like Ikusa/Samurai Swords which focus solely on battle. My friend is offering to trade it for my Talisman game (yes it's a terrible game, anything's an improvement from it, etc.) but I want to know if I'm in for a cool game or if I'm just getting it because it has samurai and a unique dice tower.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Kingdom Death's Monster has 3 days left and it's really starting to look like they're pushing for a new miniature's game instead of a traditional board game.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster

I mean I love the miniatures aside from the silly boobies on a good quarter of them but I hope it's more than just a tiny 4x4 grid of boss battles. I'm funding mainly for the sweet monster minis. They certainly know how to run a Kickstarter via their rewards system.

The second "gameplay" video came out and it's basically what you'd expect, more dice rolling and finding out what exciting thing happened to you.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm just now learning Agricola, and is it normal for both of us (2 players) to be starving to death after 3 rounds? We can't seem to get together a food rotation fast enough, and we're both 2-deep in beggars cards early in the game.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
You only feed your family in rounds where you harvest, not every round. Round 4 is the first time to feed your guys.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

SERPUS posted:

I'm just now learning Agricola, and is it normal for both of us (2 players) to be starving to death after 3 rounds? We can't seem to get together a food rotation fast enough, and we're both 2-deep in beggars cards early in the game.

If this has happened over multiple games, you're probably misinterpreting some rule. Are you giving yourself food at the start of the game? Are you accumulating resources if no one takes them on a turn (i.e. if no one takes 3 wood in a turn 3 more wood should be added, so its worth 6 the second time.)

Try playing a game just focused on getting a food engine up (1 person sheep, 1 person veggies). If you can't do that you're missing something in the rules.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

FelchTragedy posted:

Ta for this. I've been looking for some more around Coventry.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play a practice game tonight of Eclipse. Game seems like it could be pretty freaking rad.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Fox of Stone posted:

Has anyone here tried shogun before? If so, how strategic is the building/action portion of the game? It looks neat because it's not like Ikusa/Samurai Swords which focus solely on battle. My friend is offering to trade it for my Talisman game (yes it's a terrible game, anything's an improvement from it, etc.) but I want to know if I'm in for a cool game or if I'm just getting it because it has samurai and a unique dice tower.

Shogun is a pretty great game actually. There's lots of long term planning involved but there's a neat 'fog of war' like effect that happens due to the way the turns work. Everyone basically chooses what they are going to do at the start of the turn and then the rest of the turn is resolving those actions. So you don't know what your opponents are going to do and have to deduce/intuit what you think they're going to do and respond to it. It's pretty great.

While there is a combat aspect of it (and not to say it isn't important) it's not really hugely emphasized. It's diceless (where the gimmick tower comes into play) and hugely hugely damaging. Not only do you lose units the tower eats but combat is resolved on a 1:1 ratio. You can't just have doom stacks wandering the map because the battle attrition is so severe.

If your friend is going to give you that for Talisman I would honestly run not walk over to his place and make the trade.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

FelchTragedy posted:

...Really useful info...

Thanks for this!

DPW
Oct 2, 2004

O Bother.
Ok so got a few games of San Juan in and love it. I'm taking about 200 dollars worth of MTG trade in to the store. I think I would like to get Power Grid, Agricola, Puerto Rico and Ticket to Ride. Like I said I love Economic style games and want to get alittle variety to my collection. Anything you guys think I might get better value out of? I listed once but for your convenience.

Basics-Chess/Checkers/Go/Chinese Checkers/Backgamma/Yahtzee/Risk/Stratego/ASL/Scrabble.
Settlers of Catan-5-6
Carcassonne with Traders and Builders and Inns and Catherdral.
Scattergories.
Munckins All Cthulhu and Zombie sets.
Castle Panic.
Dixit.
Gloom.
Fluxx Stoner and Cthulhu.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

orphean posted:

If your friend is going to give you that for Talisman I would honestly run not walk over to his place and make the trade.

Why do people hate Talisman? It was my first real board game, and I haven't played it in a decade, so honestly curious as to what my nostalgia is hiding.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Same problem as most older games, ie too few meaningful decisions per minute played, and no real limit on game length.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Malkar posted:

Why do people hate Talisman? It was my first real board game, and I haven't played it in a decade, so honestly curious as to what my nostalgia is hiding.

Short version, it's a really poor game.

Long version:

First, the game is incredibly random. Roll, move a random number of spaces. Draw a random card. Could be a good thing, could be something you have no chance of defeating. And there's literally no way to mitigate that randomness. So player skill essentially does not exist.

Second, there's a huge variance in events/items - combined with randomness, this means there are huge unpredictable swings that you can't do anything about. This creates a huge runaway leader problem. Oftentimes there's a clear winner (or clear losers) way before the game ends. That's not fun and usually makes people disgruntled.

Third, the cardinal sin is that it's just too loving long. The base game takes a couple hours minimum, and if you start adding in expansions it's even longer. A game with all these flaws gets even worse when you have to endure them for 120 minutes.

EDIT: I forget that it's also fiddly as hell - there's a bunch of decks and a ton of the cards have special incredibly narrow rules and have to stay on the table or with your character and it's all a massive pain to track.

Talisman is basically a fantasy-themed, overly complicated, and horribly overlong version of Candyland.

In the 80s it was nifty, but game design has moved past it. Today it can literally be used as a template of what not to do in modern gaming. There are probably hundreds of games that are better and more enjoyable than Talisman.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 4, 2013

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Last night, I got on for an impromptu game of LOTR LCG on OCTGN. Big thanks to Matt for joining me.

We played through Passage Through Mirkwood, the starter quest, which went a little rough. I gave Matt a Leadership/Tactics deck, and I had a Spirit/Lore deck. His deck was built around getting Steward of Gondor out, while mine relied on Unexpected Courage. Unfortunately, neither showed up. Matt lost his tactics hero pretty early to a crappy shadow card, and I ended up losing my Lore hero near the end.

We got lucky and didn't have to face Ungoliant's Spawn in the final quest phase, and finished off with an all-in quest push. Our end score was 219, which I'm not sure what a good score would be, but am confident that is a poor score. Either way, a victory none the less.

I had a good time. I think I'll definitely do that again, where I organize games on OCTGN.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Would anyone recommend Lord of the Rings: LCG to someone who has never played LCG's before? I just watched an hour long tutorial video and I think I'd quite like the game, especially the coop element of it. But I never played deckbuilding games besides Dominion and Mage Knight (and I guess you can't compare those to a LCG). I don't know if I'll play a game long enough to warrant hours of constructing and testing decks. Is the base game and maybe an expansion or two interesting enough to play with the preconstructed decks and maybe start experimenting with deckbuilding a bit?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

mongol posted:

Last night, I got on for an impromptu game of LOTR LCG on OCTGN. Big thanks to Matt for joining me.

Legolas was too girly anyway :) Thanks for the game. I re-read the rulebook after we played and feel I can now teach the game to others which is the man reason it has languished on my shelf unplayed.

I'm quite impressed with OCTGN. These kind of programs have come a long way since my days of playing Magic on Apprentice in the 90's

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

The second "gameplay" video came out and it's basically what you'd expect, more dice rolling and finding out what exciting thing happened to you.

The most funded board game Kickstarter, people. Zero tactics plus anime titties = $1m funding.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

The most funded board game Kickstarter, people. Zero tactics plus anime titties = $1m funding.

If you've got nice minis you don't need a good game to sell on KS.

And yeah, despite the creepy-as-gently caress cheesecake/dick lions, they are nice minis.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Crackbone posted:

If you've got nice minis you don't need a good game to sell on KS.

And yeah, despite the creepy-as-gently caress cheesecake/dick lions, they are nice minis.

I like the "Life after the Watcher" thing, the guy sitting on the throne of arms. With a beheaded woman as book stand and a note: "will include optional shirt".

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'm probably extraordinarily late to ask this (in that it's been asked before) but... Why is Twilight Struggle the best rated game on BoardGameGeek?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

LuiCypher posted:

I'm probably extraordinarily late to ask this (in that it's been asked before) but... Why is Twilight Struggle the best rated game on BoardGameGeek?

Well, it's quite good.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

General Battuta posted:

Well, it's quite good.

Yes, but what is it about it that makes it so great? Theme, design... I mean, I am an international affairs wonk so it innately appeals to me, but I'm just wondering what it has that makes it apparently above and beyond many other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've heard it said - though I don't feel like I know the game well enough to back this up - that it's the finest 1v1 board game out there. With the probable exception of chess and go and the like.

• Locked thread