Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Why do they do things like say "we added a new ore" instead of just telling me what the ore they added is and what it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Because they don't have to. All the players will figure that poo poo out and put it up on the wiki within minutes and Mojang doesn't have to do any actual work regarding guiding players in how to play the game that they make and sell to people. :downs:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

xanthan posted:

Does it carry a signal and out put from all it's sides thus allowing for a vertical signal?

I've been messing around with it a bit and its basically always in an "on" state and can't be turned off. Any torches placed on it will shut down. I'm sure sethbling will figure out how to do amazing vertical transmission with it but I sure can't :v:

CaptainSparklez released a two-parter on this snapshot and he usually is a good source of info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1VDzQM8Sw

Edit: Holy poo poo we can finally smelt netherrack to make netherbrick :aaa:

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 4, 2013

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Wow. I can place a block, put a (EDIT: redstone) torch on its side then destroy the block without losing the torch. Weird.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 4, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

^^^That's currently a very useful glitch which lets you shrink all sorts of fun contraptions.

And I am incredibly pleased by the hopper, but fingers crossed for a way to make it drop items into the environment, a way to pull items from the inventories of other blocks, and a way to choose what slot you place items into for furnaces.

EDIT: And while I'm wishing on stars, I want a way to automatically craft items in vanilla. C'mon, all we need is a variant dispenser called the Combinator!

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 4, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Triskelli posted:

[...]and a way to choose what slot you place items into for furnaces.

It's said in the linked video that the hoppers obey blocks that have assigned facing, including furnaces. In game, try right-clicking on a furnace on the top side and then shift-click coal. It should go into the top slot, even if it can't actually do anything there. Try the same thing but right-clicking on the front or sides, and the coal will automatically go into bottom slot while items that can be cooked in a furnace will automatically go into the top.

In order to (probably) make this work for the hopper, you just need to place the hopper next to (or underneath if hoppers work there, which they might not) a furnace and fill it with coal, and one on any side (except the bottom), preferably the top, and fill it with things you want to cook.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Hm... so if they're adding a new ore to the nether, I guess my server is hosed for that ore then right? It seems like they changed how the world generation works, it used to be that the new chunks would be developed using the new world generation rules of a patch, but now it seems that it always uses the old world generation rules.

That kind of pisses me off because redstone circuitry is actually one of my favorite parts of the game.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
When did they change that? I was under the impression it hasn't changed. It still says that it works on the wiki page too:

quote:

If the seed or generator changes in a saved world, new chunks will be based on the new seed, and will not match those from the old seed (this phenomenon was widely observed with the Adventure Update). Deleted chunks can regenerate if the seed and generator remains the same, but will change if either the seed or generator changes.

Edit:Huh...I just noticed my avatar changed and can't figure out why. I certainly didn't do it, and can't think of why anybody would want to change it for me. Oh well, I suppose.

VVV
I don't know. It might be that those weren't new chunks, since those are generated in a 21x21 chunk area around any active player on a server (10 chunks in any direction, not counting the one they're standing in), so you might not have gone far enough.

Onean fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 4, 2013

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I assumed it was like that now because my server is an old server but when they added uhhh... the update with the tripwires and jungle temples, I assumed that there would've been new generation rules to generate jungle temples, but when I made new chunks it wasn't really weird, and the world was generating smoothly. At least I assumed I was generating new chunks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So the new comparator block would that be useful for say making a vault where a series of switches have to be on in a certain pattern of on and off to open?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Redstone-active chests?

The booby-trap possibilities are intriguing.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So the new comparator block would that be useful for say making a vault where a series of switches have to be on in a certain pattern of on and off to open?

I'm not sure what the current standard for Minecraft combo locks is, but something like this seems to work (the lamp only comes on if the switches are as below):

Spacing can be a bit awkward to get the right signal strength though, since the signal coming in from the switches has to be stronger than the chained inputs between comparators, so the source torch has to be at least two blocks away from the first comparator. And an inverter feeding directly into the comparator doesn't seem to work, so the extra row of repeaters along the side was needed.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Desperate Character posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo we can finally smelt netherrack to make netherbrick :aaa:
Thank god. Having to venture into the Nether every time I want to use red bricks in my fortress design gets tiresome quickly.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Halibut Barn posted:

I'm not sure what the current standard for Minecraft combo locks is, but something like this seems to work (the lamp only comes on if the switches are as below):

Spacing can be a bit awkward to get the right signal strength though, since the signal coming in from the switches has to be stronger than the chained inputs between comparators, so the source torch has to be at least two blocks away from the first comparator. And an inverter feeding directly into the comparator doesn't seem to work, so the extra row of repeaters along the side was needed.

That is still far, far smaller than what was previously possible. Like, it is now actually reasonable to implement without having to build your castle around the mechanisms.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

So as far as I can tell the Hoppers are equivalent to tubes that only flow horizontally and down. Seems pretty specialized considering that they could have just co-opted tubes from one of those Tekkit mods.

Transferring items across a fortress is fine and all, but only downwards? :( No mining tubes to send diamonds into the base?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm having one of those things! Like a headache, but with pictures!

Build a combination lock that opens onto your real base/chest/etc when done properly, but if you get it wrong after flipping a certain number of switches, it opens onto ANOTHER room... with a trapped chest and a TNT trap! :getin:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DNK posted:

So as far as I can tell the Hoppers are equivalent to tubes that only flow horizontally and down. Seems pretty specialized considering that they could have just co-opted tubes from one of those Tekkit mods.

Transferring items across a fortress is fine and all, but only downwards? :( No mining tubes to send diamonds into the base?

If the Technic tubes (no matter the variant) got into Vanilla, I'd be very excited. Despite how insanely complicated Technic has become, some of the things in it (like tubes, some of the EE rings and gadgets...) seems like they would fit vanilla like a glove. Hopefully the new API-thing and mod-rules will mean that Dinnerbone will be able to implement some of the better mods.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Iacen posted:

If the Technic tubes (no matter the variant) got into Vanilla, I'd be very excited. Despite how insanely complicated Technic has become, some of the things in it (like tubes, some of the EE rings and gadgets...) seems like they would fit vanilla like a glove. Hopefully the new API-thing and mod-rules will mean that Dinnerbone will be able to implement some of the better mods.

The API ought to mean you won't have to rely on Mojang's weird ideas about how to implement things, you can just tick a few boxes in their official mod loader and off you go.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DNK posted:

You can put items into chests, including chests in minecarts.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

Redstone-active chests?

The booby-trap possibilities are intriguing.

Nevermind that. The trapped chests can be placed right next to regular chests! Use them as regular storage chests and think of all the room you'll save!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jamesman posted:

Nevermind that. The trapped chests can be placed right next to regular chests! Use them as regular storage chests and think of all the room you'll save!

Can you make Trapped Double Chests?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Based on what I've read, yes.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Dinnerbone posted:

I sneakily introduced a new redstone concept in 01b; Output specific signals. This is a thing now.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I don't get it, how is the Dispenser out putting a signal? How is the chest putting out one?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

xanthan posted:

I don't get it, how is the Dispenser out putting a signal? How is the chest putting out one?

Read the quote in his post.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Maybe xanthan meant how is that logically consistent? Presently, the light detector, redstone torch, redstone block, redstone ore are the only things that could 'generate' a redstone signal right? Oh yeah and the switchy buttony pressureplatey things too I guess. And those don't require redstone to create...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The item you magically shoved together that uses glowing dust you harvested out of cube-shaped blocks is able to detect how many things are in the box.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

flatluigi posted:

The item you magically shoved together that uses glowing dust you harvested out of cube-shaped blocks is able to detect how many things are in the box.

Ok then? So it works based on how much is in the chest or dispenser, that makes sense I guess.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Can someone explain the use of the hoppers? Like auto filling carts and the such?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Hoppers are a work in progress. I have no idea what they're going for really but hopefully they've got something neat planned.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If they work anything like they do in Buildcraft, their intended use is to allow for stacks of items to pile up and be loaded into somewhere. Ideally this would mean furnaces so you can go elsewhere and let stacks fall in as they cook, but without any way to pull the items out of the output slot their usefulness is limited.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FPzero posted:

If they work anything like they do in Buildcraft, their intended use is to allow for stacks of items to pile up and be loaded into somewhere. Ideally this would mean furnaces so you can go elsewhere and let stacks fall in as they cook, but without any way to pull the items out of the output slot their usefulness is limited.

Hoping for something where you end up putting one hopper on top of a furnace and one below. Dump all your stuff in the top, fill the furnace with an appropriate amount of coal and the bottom hopper (could be on the side, even) fills up with whatever you smelted.

I just cleared out a 40x40 area (no TNT allowed on the server), and it would have been nice to just periodically dump stuff into a hopper rather than opening the furnace, putting one kind of ore and an appropriate amount of coal in, and then removing the finished product.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Hoppers also pull in any items in the environment that fall on them - like for a mob farm that can collect the drops automatically in a chest.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Too bad hoppers can't plant seeds.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

FPzero posted:

The potential upside of this is that you could throw a bunch of different (unsmelted) ores into a hopper feeding into one furnace and only periodically have to move the smelted ore out without worrying about feeding new ore into the furnace.

Depending on the feeding priority of the hoppers you may be able to have a chain of hoppers feed into, say, 4 furnaces. Deposit all ore into primary hopper, have the ore automatically distribute itself into the furnaces. This really depends on the hopper behavior, though.

Output hoppers (come on, just implement Tekkit tubes already) would be a large improvement, though, agreed.

Hobnob posted:

Hoppers also pull in any items in the environment that fall on them - like for a mob farm that can collect the drops automatically in a chest.

This is a great idea.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
For everyone wondering how hoppers can be used sethbling has already created an auto-brewing hopper system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahny2RjVVzk
It'll definitely be useful for adventures maps

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hoping for something where you end up putting one hopper on top of a furnace and one below. Dump all your stuff in the top, fill the furnace with an appropriate amount of coal and the bottom hopper (could be on the side, even) fills up with whatever you smelted.

I just cleared out a 40x40 area (no TNT allowed on the server), and it would have been nice to just periodically dump stuff into a hopper rather than opening the furnace, putting one kind of ore and an appropriate amount of coal in, and then removing the finished product.

One reason hoppers might not work with furnace's, where would the exp go?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

For everyone wondering how hoppers can be used sethbling has already created an auto-brewing hopper system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahny2RjVVzk
It'll definitely be useful for adventures maps

It bugs me that we have to go so roundabout in minecraft to make factories and automatic production. These seem like things we should be able to do in vanilla that tekkit does beautifully. I want reasonably sized and relatively simple to make sorting machines and item-making factories in my vanilla. :(

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Murdershoe posted:

One reason hoppers might not work with furnace's, where would the exp go?

Someone could mod furnaces to have a bottle slot which will fill upon smelting to create potions of enchanting with the API which...

Still doesn't exist yet :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Someone could mod furnaces to have a bottle slot which will fill upon smelting to create potions of enchanting with the API which...

Still doesn't exist yet :negative:

relax, I'm sure they will get around to it once they finish spending all that money so they will get more people to buy minecraft, after which it will switch to a subscription model, pay-for-updates!