Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Stygi posted:

Enemy Handicap occurs when you die a lot and use continues, causing the game to gimp the enemies out of pity.

Bleergh I love DMC4 but this is the only part that I hated when I was new to it. Yes I know I suck but I'm not going to get any better at the game if you gimp the enemies for me, goddamn it :mad:

Brawler style games like DMC and Bayonetta do Bad Things to me. I'm not usually a perfectionist with games and in fact I usually play downright sloppy, but if I get hit even once or get a lovely rating in any battle, I restart the entire mission. I'm not even that good, at least by dedicated player standards, but getting less than an A in any battle feels like a faliure to me. I've gotten used to replaying massive parts of these games now.

Unfortunately that kind of patience doesn't translate to Dark Souls very well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DmC CG trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36hwj29yeSg

Dante smacks a can out of a little girl's hand and makes her cry. And then he takes it to the MAN! While pretending to be Alex Mercer.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 4, 2013

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Did they use a different voice actor? He didn't have that stupid slur there.
Also, I wish there was a cutscene where he acknowleges that he looks like an rear end in a top hat when he goes around knocking cans out of people's hands, even if justified, as it IS evil stuff. But knowing this character, he probably revels in people thinking he's an isufferable idiot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Holy crap, I just beat the second mission of DMC4 at Legendary Dark Knight mode and I think I earned as many souls as I earned through my whole first playthrough.

Regarding the gamepad setup - I've started using this with Nero and even if it feels a little strange, especially when revving mid-battle, I think I'm going to stick with this for now. When fighting ordinary mobs it works perfectly, it's just during bosses when I frantically try to rev the sword that things fall apart a bit. But overall I think this works well.

LT - Devil Trigger
RT - Rev
LB - Guns
RB - Lock-on
X - Taunt

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 4, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Holy crap, I just beat the second mission of DMC4 at Legendary Dark Knight mode and I think I earned as many souls as I earned through my whole first playthrough.

Regarding the gamepad setup - I've started using this with Nero and even if it feels a little strange, especially when revving mid-battle, I think I'm going to stick with this for now. When fighting ordinary mobs it works perfectly, it's just during bosses when I frantically try to rev the sword that things fall apart a bit. But overall I think this works well.

LT - Devil Trigger
RT - Rev
LB - Guns
RB - Lock-on
X - Taunt

That is pretty close to what I use, I just find it a bit uncomfortable to be holding two buttons and tapping a third while doing regular combat as well. It's the best I could come up with.

Edit: Wow, autocorrecting hated me.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 4, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I used LT for the gun (easier to hold) and X for DT. Taunt is kept to Back.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Finally downloaded the demo and......it wasn't that bad? I'm not a giant sperg about games as long as they're dumb fun. It's def better/more playable than DMC2 ever was. Not the best but fine. I'm just hoping the other difficulties are harder and I get more moves/weapons. Hopefully all the bosses don't suck as that will drag the whole thing down.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I don't get this big deal on 'The environment is trying to kill you'. It just looks like set pieces to me. That's not a massive innovation at all.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Re: Nero. I use the default setup and press circle with the lower part of my thumb to use the devil bringer. :smug:
If they ever bring Nero back, I think they should probably make it so that you only have to tap R2 to start charging the Blue Rose.

vv I agree, but adding another active system on top of Exceed could be potentially too much to handle at once.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 4, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Re: Nero. I use the default setup and press circle with the lower part of my thumb to use the devil bringer. :smug:
If they ever bring Nero back, I think they should probably make it so that you only have to tap R2 to start charging the Blue Rose.

To be honest I'd rather they just make it something besides a charge. It's honestly kind of boring. I like Exceed pretty good and I wish Blue Rose's gimmick was more active instead of passive, especially since it is so plain compared to Dante's guns. Devil Bringer and Exceed both reward you for hitting buttons at the right time to amplify your attack. It'd be neat if Blue Rose had also been like that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How do you perform a Buster counter on the DMC4 fire boss, when he tries to ram you? I can't seem to find the right moment.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pesky Splinter posted:

DmC CG trailer:

Dante smacks a can out of a little girl's hand and makes her cry. And then he takes it to the MAN! While pretending to be Alex Mercer.

That trailer seems like is adversiting some DTV 'action' movie and not a videogame. :effort:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

How do you perform a Buster counter on the DMC4 fire boss, when he tries to ram you? I can't seem to find the right moment.

Yup, it's that lunging attack. It's extremely difficult to time. It's even harder than trying to catch Credo's spears, in my opinion.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just tried and nothing happened. I simply didn't get hurt.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

DmC CG trailer:

I don't think they have enough bloom in those fight scenes.

How does a game that has so much colour still manage to feel so bland?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

RBX posted:

Finally downloaded the demo and......it wasn't that bad? I'm not a giant sperg about games as long as they're dumb fun. It's def better/more playable than DMC2 ever was. Not the best but fine. I'm just hoping the other difficulties are harder and I get more moves/weapons. Hopefully all the bosses don't suck as that will drag the whole thing down.

We've seen DMD and it's not that much of an improvement unfortunately. Devil Trigger is no longer time based, it's just the last wave of enemies automatically DTs. Only weapons not in the demo are the shotgun, a mine launcher, the hulk hands, and a weapon that works like throwing swords from what I recall. I think the only one that hasn't already been shown in the billion previews is the last gun. We've also got the upgrade list, and pretty much all the moves you could buy in the full game were unlocked in the demo with most of the upgrades being damage boosts. I wouldn't get your hopes on the bosses either, at least one of the positive early reviews knocked the game for having bad boss fights.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Gem from Eurogamer, a site I otherwise respect.

quote:

There's a baffling amount of negativity surrounding this one. Ninja Theory, once critical darlings after the well-received Enslaved, have become unfortunate punch bags for a legion of fans who seem to have forgotten that when it comes to stuffing up Devil May Cry it's Capcom's internal teams that perhaps deserve the most scorn - didn't any of those fans play the second and fourth installments?

Yes...I...WHAT?!

I've posted a comment that reads like this, got negged much to my SHOCKED surprise. SHOCKED I say!

" "There's a baffling amount of negativity surrounding this one." - Not baffling at all actually. All comments concerning gameplay are derided as "HAIR" comments which are then ignored by both media and developers. A jankier framerate compared to the last two games (save for PC, doesn't make it right though), monotone storytelling with 'edgy' swearing, a needlessly complicated grab/pull system that's tripped up everyone I know who's played the demo (Including seasoned action game players) in return for no taunts, directional based attacks and having to switch weapons to take care of certain enemies rather than basing it on user preference.. and falling to death... in a Devil May Cry game. On top of that, Ninja Theory's arrogant attitude when talking to fans (Who for the most part have reasonable concerns) are shot down."

Fans of this game don't seem to have a valid response to this criticism, or indeed one that isn't fanatical and daft.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Chickenfrogman posted:

We've seen DMD and it's not that much of an improvement unfortunately. Devil Trigger is no longer time based, it's just the last wave of enemies automatically DTs.

loving fail.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Temascos posted:

Gem from Eurogamer, a site I otherwise respect.

Yes...I...WHAT?!

I've posted a comment that reads like this, got negged much to my SHOCKED surprise. SHOCKED I say!

" "There's a baffling amount of negativity surrounding this one." - Not baffling at all actually. All comments concerning gameplay are derided as "HAIR" comments which are then ignored by both media and developers. A jankier framerate compared to the last two games (save for PC, doesn't make it right though), monotone storytelling with 'edgy' swearing, a needlessly complicated grab/pull system that's tripped up everyone I know who's played the demo (Including seasoned action game players) in return for no taunts, directional based attacks and having to switch weapons to take care of certain enemies rather than basing it on user preference.. and falling to death... in a Devil May Cry game. On top of that, Ninja Theory's arrogant attitude when talking to fans (Who for the most part have reasonable concerns) are shot down."

Fans of this game don't seem to have a valid response to this criticism, or indeed one that isn't fanatical and daft.

Nothing inspires confidence like comparing the new and improved Devil may Cry with the unequivocally worst part of the series. I don't know what's going on with DMC 4 comment - the story was loving ridiculous and back-tracking reigned supreme, but the gameplay was the one thing that can't be called faulty, no? Not to mention Legendary Dark Knight mode :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How the gently caress do some people act like DMC4 is bad? It's debateable if it's better than 3 or not sure, but it's not like the game has functional flaws in its gameplay or the game doesn't have enough depth, it's a well put together game with an admittedly lazy second half in terms of stage structure and some tedious puzzles.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

How the gently caress do some people act like DMC4 is bad? It's debateable if it's better than 3 or not sure, but it's not like the game has functional flaws in its gameplay or the game doesn't have enough depth, it's a well put together game with an admittedly lazy second half in terms of stage structure and some tedious puzzles.

If you aren't interested in the combat system DMC4 is pretty execrable. And 95% of players don't even switch weapons or jump cancel, so.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

If you aren't interested in the combat system DMC4 is pretty execrable. And 95% of players don't even switch weapons or jump cancel, so.

Yeah, but if you aren't interested in the combat system why do you play DMC4?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

Yeah, but if you're the kind of person who doesn't care about the combat system it isn't likely you'd hold DMC3 in extremely high regard either. Both games shine on the strength of their combat. DMC3 has better level design but it still isn't great. DMC2 is so reviled because the combat system is so bad more than anything else in the game.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Here is a now working copy of the opening sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8Usioo9rI

It looks pretty bad.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
At this rate, I'm pretty sure Ninja Theory actively searched for ways to make their game even more terrible and stupid. That's the only way I could possibly explain this.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just don't get the colors. Why do they feel obligated to make the colors so hideously oversaturated? DMC is supposed to be about intense violence in the middle of beautiful set pieces, or at least well-rendered ugly ones. I couldn't even look at the screen too long while watching the demo, it hurts the eyes so much.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Yeah, but if you aren't interested in the combat system why do you play DMC4?

I have no idea, but I suspect the answer would be in the sheer crunchy appeal of beating up demons and the ridiculous over the top antics. But SHITLOADS of people bought it, and the vast majority were bad. You can easily test this. The same is true of every game in every genre.

Consider how popular God of War is, when it has the combat system depth of a puddle.

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 5, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Nothing inspires confidence like comparing the new and improved Devil may Cry with the unequivocally worst part of the series.

The call for comparisons between DmC and, well, DMC have been wildly inconsistent. "This game's just as good as the first four!" "It's a reboot!" "It's not connected to the other games, stop pretending it is!" "It's almost as good as the first game! Well, the second and fourth game sucked too, so there!" "You just can't get over the fact that his hair changed!" It's like they have this weird belief that you can't fully comprehend the attitude of the developers and the content of the game itself AND STILL disagree with what you're seeing. Is it damage control or the mistaken generalisation of all criticism as trolling? Are we going to get more comments that run parallel to Mass Effect 3's shitshow?

Anyway my pre-order of the DMC HD Collection came in, and it has a visual/audio disconnect on cutscenes, so I need to look into my TV settings.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You guys pretty much hit the nail on the head, DmC is a very reviewer friendly game, it can probably be beaten easily and quickly and there's no complicated combat system messing things up for them.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Goddamn the new Devil Trigger's broken as hell. Saw a clip from this terrible review where DT Dante takes out about half of that Bill O' Reilly boss' health bar in one basic air combo. (About 6:50 in, if you don't want to spend 8 minutes watching a guy reading from a script written for him by Capcom about how great this game's going to be) Also stick around near the end of the video to watch him get SS just by mashing Y for 30 seconds.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 5, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I've never understood when you are supposed to use jump cancel. Are there any particularly useful ways to use it?
You can't expect people to know about something like jump canceling or how to make use of it. And do you gain style points
by switching weapons as well as techniques? I wish the games would explain these things better.
And you are right - DMC4 is a pretty fun game DESPITE all its problems. Even the combat suffers at times due to the less than
stellar camera and some crazy difficulty spikes, and that the game refuses to explain some pretty important aspects.
I had no idea there was such a thing as Buster counters until the game forced me to use one to defeat the statue in the last
fight of the game! It's not like there's an incentive to experiment with it during boss battles when the penalty for screwing it up is
most certainly death.

VVV Maybe more people would care if they bothered to mention such features in the manual or tutorial?
As it is now they seem more like glitches that they didn't bother to remove, which is pretty much
what they were from the start, right?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Like you guys do realise that the number of people who care about a feature like, say, jump cancelling is vanishingly small in comparison to the 3 million odd people who actually bought DMC4 right?

That is why I am expecting roughly 89-90 metacritic. Because most critics, and most consumers, won't care :(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hokuto posted:

I just don't get the colors. Why do they feel obligated to make the colors so hideously oversaturated? DMC is supposed to be about intense violence in the middle of beautiful set pieces, or at least well-rendered ugly ones. I couldn't even look at the screen too long while watching the demo, it hurts the eyes so much.

This seems to be Ninja Theory's modus operandi. The oversaturation worked well in Enslaved but this game's color palette is both washed out and bloom-y as all hell. It bothers me that there was an art director and a board that looked at it and said, "Yes, this looks good."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

RBX posted:

On it's own, the combat's okay. As DMC combat, it's not so great. There's some very questionable design choices (no-lock on, no taunt, enemies that are only vulnerable to a type of weapon), which work against it. The difficulty has also been reduced (normal is almost sleep inducing, SoS is the only way to make the demo interesting - and even then the AI will sometimes stand there and do nothing for large amounts of time), and what's been seen of DMD is hard to judge because the previewers that showed it suck at DMC in general. The only other difficulties are the gimmick modes - "everything dies in one hit" and "Only Dante dies in one hit". What they've shown of the bosses is rather...unspectacular. Though there are two bosses they haven't shown yet (the end bosses - they've also been pretty terrible at hiding game content).

It's just disappointing that this is what direction they want future DMCs to head in.

And that's ignoring all the antagonistic, and needlessly lovely comments by NT, Capcom and dozens upons dozens of "journalists" trying to justify its flaws. I'm surprised none have used the "entitled gamers" line yet.

Vanderdeath posted:

Here is a now working copy of the opening sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8Usioo9rI

It looks pretty bad.

Oh, it's missing the Mundus and Lilith bit. :saddowns:

[e]: Thanks!

Shouldn't they already know where Dante is? I mean, not only is he at Lilith's club, but they have cameras trained on his trailer, and they apparently have cameras everywhere in an Orwellian fashion. Yet they still don't know where he is? What?

"The world is, at last, your bitch. As am I."

I'm actually rooting for Lilith and Mundus - their delivery of the awful fanfiction dialogue is hilarious.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 5, 2013

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh, it's missing the Mundus and Lilith bit. :saddowns:

Here's another version that has the beginning bit with Mundus and Lilith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lgGIBxMTlw

It's hilarious how Mundus is laughing about how perfect his evil plan is and then he suddenly gets upset about Dante like it's something he just learned that very instant.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There is no excuse for a nausea inducing wobbly camera in a video game...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's ironic how this plot tried to be all mature and serious and yet ended up being more juvenile than the original series.

And if all the cutscenes are going to be like that then I take back my original compliments about the graphics. It's like Kane and Lynch 2 all over again. And seriously what the gently caress, in certain parts it looks like someone spilled something on the camera. Why did they do that?

The Aquila looks kind of fun though. Right? :shobon:

Right? :smithicide:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Xbox Magazine:

"An experience only rivalled by Bayonetta". loving wow.
They can't even find a reason for complaints. loving wow.
So many worthless words. They've got to be taking the piss, right?

The only thing to do at this stage is laugh.

[e]: They must have poo poo this out so quickly that they didn't bother to proofread.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 5, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

"What is Vergil had...a game of his own?"

Seriously? Are they even loving trying?

They also mention mocking the story and then immediately say how amazing it is.
Then they begin talking about the music and dissing the wub-wub before saying how it works in context. And yet they still use it as one of their negatives in the final score!
Did the guy who write this have multiple personality disorder?

Oh and of course, "it's the hair isn't it? :smug:"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The entire review reads like a Snarky Internet User Review rather than something I'd see in a magazine.

Edit: What is Vergil had a game of his own? Hahahaha Christ.

GUI fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 5, 2013

• Locked thread