Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DuckConference posted:

By "court" do you mean the office of the arbitrator of their choosing?

Well, what they're backing on is that you won't raise enough of a fuss about it (since, let's face it, most people will either suck it up and stick with the bad ISP or pay the early termination fee); we need someone stubborn enough to go through the motions "on principle," like that guy Monster Cables tried to sue before they got eviscerated in a countered open letter.

We really need legislation like this one which is proposed in the U.S.: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/12/net-neutrality-data-bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Does Canada have corporate mandatory arbitration?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Anyone else experiencing a total Rogers outage in Ottawa? TV, Internet, and Home Phone are all down for me - Baseline & Merivale area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This seems like it would fit in this topic somewhat: What is the best current online movie rental/purchasing service in Canada these days? I was thinking of picking up an appletv for movies/tv shows and wondering if there are any better options. Not having any luck finding them. I have an xbox360 but the movies are even pricier and use that stupid MS points crap.

Bonus points if it is something easy enough to use my wife (who doesn't give a crap about tech stuff) can use it.

Thinking about paring down my Optik TV service to the bare minimum of channels for the duration of my contract and relying on Internet based content on the tv more.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Your best bet is probably American services with a VPN of some sort.

The only decent services in Canada that I've found are iTunes and Netflix and that DVD vending machine in grocery stores.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Netflix + US VPN = best choice. For some time I had been using Netflix Canada on its own, but quickly ran out of content. Buying the VPN allows me to view the american content, but the flexibility of viewing some Canada-only content whenever I want.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I use unblock us with Netflix. Unblock us is nice and spoken well of in this thread generally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I use unblock-us and Netflix, are there any good streaming services that work for newer release stuff? Netflix gets some but most of the time I'm out of luck if I want to see something specific.

Thinking an appletv + itunes might just be the way to go to get content on the TV easily.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Yeah I use unblock-us and Netflix, are there any good streaming services that work for newer release stuff? Netflix gets some but most of the time I'm out of luck if I want to see something specific.

Thinking an appletv + itunes might just be the way to go to get content on the TV easily.

Through unblock us you can also get access to Hulu plus that carries a lot of current run TV shows I think. Vudu has fairly recent movie streaming but you have to pay by the movie rather than a monthly fee.

I have Amazon prime so there's a bit more selection available through that too.

I'm just basically thinking of what's available on my PS3 really. Without using unblock-us there's also a service called Crackle that has some movie/tv content including things like a bunch of godzilla movies and such and is free/ad supported. The Crackle app for PS3 is kind of annoying though because it only accepts the commands from a controller (X, O, Square, Triangle, etc) so using it with the DVD remote or a Harmony controller is inconvenient.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh nice, I didn't realize that amazon prime videos worked with unblock-us, that's pretty cool. Looks like the Roku is the alternative to the appletv for easy tv hookup for that.

I have a Boxee Box but it is mostly horribly slow and crappy. I only use it for streaming local video from my NAS for the most part.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
I was kind of out of it all December so I didn't hear about this latest Telus BS with the bandwidth caps. Weirdly, that Telus bulletin link being passed around doesn't seem to mention them anymore, and the telus page still lists the existing caps. Shouldn't they be changing those or e-mailing me about this, or at least leaving it up where I can see it?

edit: Not that I really expect any kind of basic decency from Telus, the company that blocked its employee union's website during a strike.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 4, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

MikeSevigny posted:

I was kind of out of it all December so I didn't hear about this latest Telus BS with the bandwidth caps. Weirdly, that Telus bulletin link being passed around doesn't seem to mention them anymore, and the telus page still lists the existing caps. Shouldn't they be changing those or e-mailing me about this, or at least leaving it up where I can see it?

edit: Not that I really expect any kind of basic decency from Telus, the company that blocked its employee union's website during a strike.

They could have just been 'testing the waters' to see if Shaw would adjust their plans to match, or similar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MikeSevigny posted:

I am not holding my breath, but I am wondering if they got cold feet. According to a couple of posts on dslreports, people have filed complaints with the CCTS which have been accepted so the ball is now in Telus's court to respond. I know I've complained via their online system (although I am generally nowhere near the caps). I just think the whole thing stinks. They way they've gone about it is underhanded and borderline deceitful. I only heard about it on the forums, and the only official notice I ever received from telus was a small font note on the bottom of my bill saying "BTW, caps are changing to 250GB month Feb".

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have both an appleTV and a mac mini hooked up to my TV and they complement each other well. I can grab almost anything I want from torrents or web page streams on the mac mini.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also regarding telus, they're still advertising their plans at the "old" cap levels
http://telus.com/content/internet/high-speed/

Considering they're supposed to be gone in less than a month now and they could be royally screwing themselves with the regulators, my guess is

A: They're completely incompetent

B: Not going through with it... at least not at this moment.

My guess is "B"

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

slidebite posted:

According to a couple of posts on dslreports, people have filed complaints with the CCTS which have been accepted so the ball is now in Telus's court to respond.

I don't think they've actually notified me of the changes yet, but I've gotten I think three separate notices explaining how I can complain to the CCTS if I have any unresolved complaints about their services. Which is a very odd thing to randomly encourage a customer to do. I hadn't done any "boat-rocking" to precipitate the messages. My last contact with customer service was to cancel some channels on Optik, about a year ago...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The only official notice I ever received was a very small footnote at the bottom of my last bill. No question imho they hoped to fly under the radar on this.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Oh I see, the notice now links to saying they're changing long distance rates to .40 if you don't have a long distance plan. Nothing about internet at all. It's the same link that was posted earlier in this thread and spread around, so they wiped the whole thing out and replaced it with different changes.

I went paperless so my email bill only had that same link at the bottom.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Has Netflix Canada rolled out the Instant Queue among everyone in Canada yet, or is it still just a random, select thing?

I'm currently on Netflix Customer Service Chat with... well, I hope it's just a horrible chatbot, because otherwise, this person has some basic reading comprehension issues.

quote:

You
...And actually, that reminds me of another question that I had! Why is Netflix so erratic with its testing for features here in Canada? For as long as I've had Netflix, I had "My List", and then randomly had it changed to an Instant Queue, but I know people who have Netflix and have never had access to this feature. It ends up making myself and other Netflix users look like jerks when we recommend Netflix to people who end up getting a worse experience, and question the recommendation in the first place.

You
I don't mean to be ungrateful, as I love my Instant Queue, I just don't understand why it wouldn't be rolled out uniformly once it was clear that it works just fine among those who have it.

Netflix Chad
I TOTALLY understand. Honestly I'm the same way my friend. When you get used to using something over and over you begin to get comfortable with it. Then something get's changed or switched around and suddenly you have to learn how to use everything all over again. Actually this is because times are just changing and people are demanding bigger and better features. Other streaming sites are updating there systems and we are just trying to keep up with them. We are constantly changing our company for the better and I bet you and your friends will soon find yourselves enjoying a much better Netflix experienience!

Netflix Chad
Gotta give the competition a run for their money you know.

You
...That doesn't respond to my question.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 13, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

thexerox123 posted:

Has Netflix Canada rolled out the Instant Queue among everyone in Canada yet, or is it still just a random, select thing?

I'm currently on Netflix Customer Service Chat with... well, I hope it's just a horrible chatbot, because otherwise, this person has some basic reading comprehension issues.

I'm just going to imagine that "Netflix Chad" is indeed a chatbot, and is also the primitive A.I. responsible for most of the company's decisions.

EDIT: I'm on Netflix Canada, but using Unblock-US. I don't have Instant Queue, and I'm too lazy to re-sign-up for a fully US account to get it.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 13, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So Telus is offering a "turbo 50" not listed anywhere on their website if you qualify. $75 a month.

not too shabby at all.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My backwater burg doesn't even get Turbo :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well we're supposedly 2 weeks away from the new telus caps. Their website still shows the old caps

http://telus.com/content/internet/high-speed

and my last bill had no mention of the terms changing.

The silence from them has been deafening.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think they were just testing the waters to see if anybody would notice. They seem to have eliminated all mention of the change.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

thexerox123 posted:

Doubt it was an AI bot. You really expect a customer service rep to be able to tell you "why" management decided to do things they way they do? I'm guessing you've never had a customer service job :)

I see why you were totally dissatisfied with the answer he gave you, I agree its just a bunch of BS that doesn't really say anything. But I'm 100% sure the reason he gave you that wishy washy unhelpful answer is that he has no idea how netflix decides who gets access to the feature you're asking about, no idea why it's not everyone and no way to find out. You're never going to get an answer to this kind of question by contacting customer support at any big company.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Col.Kiwi posted:

Doubt it was an AI bot. You really expect a customer service rep to be able to tell you "why" management decided to do things they way they do? I'm guessing you've never had a customer service job :)

I see why you were totally dissatisfied with the answer he gave you, I agree its just a bunch of BS that doesn't really say anything. But I'm 100% sure the reason he gave you that wishy washy unhelpful answer is that he has no idea how netflix decides who gets access to the feature you're asking about, no idea why it's not everyone and no way to find out. You're never going to get an answer to this kind of question by contacting customer support at any big company.

Oh, I didn't expect to get an answer, I really was there to ask another question beforehand, but I figured it was worth throwing in my complaint about it... I would imagine I wouldn't have gotten a straightforward response even if I were talking to the actual developers, but his response was just so absurdly disconnected from what I wrote.

He did end up assuring me afterwards that the Instant Queue would be rolled out to all of Canada "very soon", but that just let me know that I don't need to bother expecting Profiles anytime soon, since his answer to when we would get those was also "very soon".

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I asked a few months ago and found google posts asking service agents going back to the netflix canada launch, all saying very soon. I gave up, took 5 minutes and registered a US Netflix account. It wasn't a big deal either, I lost my recommendations whoop de doo.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have not been shopping the residential market for about 3 years while I've been on a student deal with Shaw but it expires in March. I look around to see what my options are and Shaw's cheapest plan has gone up to $50 for only 10Mb down and 0.5Mb up?!? This is basically the same service that cost $40/mo a few years ago. gently caress this duopoly.

What are my cheapest options for internet in BC that is still capable of watching Netflix? There is only someone at this residence about 6 days a week so I want to keep the costs down. I thought about Teksavvy but they want to charge me an $80 setup fee so gently caress them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

What are my cheapest options for internet in BC that is still capable of watching Netflix? There is only someone at this residence about 6 days a week so I want to keep the costs down. I thought about Teksavvy but they want to charge me an $80 setup fee so gently caress them.

Shaw, TELUS, Teksavvy.

If Teksavvy is cheaper, calculate how many months it'd take to pay off the setup fee and compare it to how long you normally stay with a provider.

If you're looking for the lowest possible rate, no contract, no setup fee you're probably asking too much.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, it was expensive as gently caress to get started, but I ditched Teksavvy DSL and got Teksavvy cable. So far it hasn't dropped the connection after having it for a week, it's a consistent 3 megabits up and 24-32 megabits down, and absolutely no data limits, for $80 with tax a month. I took a slight hit on the upload speed (was getting 5 megabits up with the DSL) but it's more than made up for with the rest of the service.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was actually kind of thinking of killing my optik TV (well, down to the minimum possible number of channels), getting a shaw connection and finding a load balancing router. Then I would have a lot more bw cap and would be faster than the 15Mbps I am limited to with optik.

Dumb idea or the dumbest idea? Basically I'd do that to avoid the telus ECF and then once my contract is up just bump the shaw one up a tier or two, perhaps to the 50Mbps.

I have no experience with the dual link routers so I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to set those up but it can't be too bad I imagine.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Anyone currently with Start Communications? (https://www.start.ca)

I just cancelled my Cogeco internet (FINALLY) to go with these guys, a quick googling shows that people are pretty happy with their service. Same speed, higher cap and $13/month cheaper too so I'm not sure if this is just an awesome deal or too good to be true.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

justlikedunkirk posted:

I just cancelled my Cogeco internet (FINALLY) to go with these guys, a quick googling shows that people are pretty happy with their service. Same speed, higher cap and $13/month cheaper too so I'm not sure if this is just an awesome deal or too good to be true.

45 Mbps/350GB for 60$. Teksavvy has unlimited for 60$ but the speed is also slower (28Mbps). For me, they look really nice. Are you already with them? When will it get installed? Let us know please how it goes once you get all setup.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

justlikedunkirk posted:

I'm on them. Speed for me is actually way better than advertised (they sold it to me as 16/1, I get about 30/1). Had one issue (ended up being the cable line), and the support was OK, but not great (wanted me to wait 5 DAYS! for them to send out a new modem to try swapping it, luckily I had a backup, after that they were fine)

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I've been with Start since they launched in Cogeco country. Install was painless, getting the advertised speeds, and don't really have to think about it. Any outages have been Cogeco-wide. Their main guy (rocca) is active on DSLR.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
According to their website , they have service in my area, via cable. Now, as far as I can tell, Rogers is the only one in my area with cable, with Teksavvy riding on their infrastructure (which is why i only get 28Mbps). Is start.ca going via Cogeco or via Rogers? How come that they can get 45Mbps and Teksavvy cant?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I've been with Start since October. 20 meg / 350 GB service. Really happy with them. I personally haven't had a single issue.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

less than three posted:

If you're looking for the lowest possible rate, no contract, no setup fee you're probably asking too much.

I disagree that it is asking to much for a lower tier of service at a lower price. Right now there is no level of service for people that want less than 10mb down.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

I disagree that it is asking to much for a lower tier of service at a lower price. Right now there is no level of service for people that want less than 10mb down.

Nothing of what I replied to indicated a need for a lower tier of service.

However, since you've now made this the requirement: TELUS offers 6mbit for $37 ($25 for the first 6mo) and Teksavvy has it for $30 or $35 depending on the bandwidth cap you want.

This is for BC, which is the location of the poster I was replying to. Your results may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

rhag posted:

According to their website , they have service in my area, via cable. Now, as far as I can tell, Rogers is the only one in my area with cable, with Teksavvy riding on their infrastructure (which is why i only get 28Mbps). Is start.ca going via Cogeco or via Rogers? How come that they can get 45Mbps and Teksavvy cant?

They'll be going through Rogers in your area. The major difference between how Teksavvy is hooked into Rogers' network and how everyone else is that they have their own back haul from the different nodes where most other providers use the newer aggregated links. Rogers wants to get people on the aggregated links because they can charge more for it, and I think that the tariffs are different and include higher speeds.