Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Corvettefisher posted:

That's a really loaded question.

How much experience do you have in said area's?
How (quickly) do you learn?
You say you are still trying to figure out stuff, but what interests you right now?

Getting a bunch of certs if fine, but if rush through them only going for the test requirements, you might miss out on learning some of the important concepts that will help you day to day.

Little in networking, nada in security and pretty entry level Linux experience (just finished a class that had a good overview on Linux as a whole). Most of work history is hell desk / onsite tech. Currently I'm working for a small SaaS company but I'm not really doing any real IT work here outside of some scripting we use for various tasks. I'd just like to get my foot in the door as a jr sys admin with the hopes of moving onto something involving VMs and/or cloud computing. I've seen a few job listings for these types of jobs at various start ups in town that I'd probably be eligible for if, at the minimum, I had a more solid knowledge of networking fundamentals. I also have a B.S. degree so that's at least one HR hurdle out of the way.

I'm also not in a rush to leave this job because its actually a good company to work for but I know there's more lucrative options out there.

Mythical Moderate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Since you have some Linux, and Network experiences I would start with one of those, whichever one sparks interest with you most and study it. See how long it takes you to read and understand the material and take and pass the exam; that will give you a ball park of further certs.

I have this RHCSA (feel free to ask me about it) book, which does assume you know a good deal of networking prior to going in. I would say test the water with N+, then go to the vendor specifics.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Thanks. I ordered one of the recommended N+ books earlier today. Once I feel comfortable with the material and get the cert I'll check out that RHCSA book and move on from there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Science posted:

I might be mis-remembering, but I think one of the previous versions of this thread had a recommended vendor for CompTIA vouchers. Does anyone have this bookmarked? I can't seem to find it anywhere and almost every site I find through Google looks sketchy.

Does anyone have an answer to this? I need to also pickup some vouchers before the end of the year.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone have an answer to this? I need to also pickup some vouchers before the end of the year.

Just a word of caution. The vouchers I get from most vendors directly (Cisco / Juniper) are only good for the calendar year they are cut in. I recently got a bunch from Juniper for my team in late November and they were only good if used before Dec 31st.

Just check the fine print on the voucher before you buy.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Finished studying for the A+ Certification exam... Now onto security + or a CCNA (I should probably get my CCNA shouldn't I?)

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Get a CCNA. Security+ is basically a joke cert that is pretty much just an HR checkbox.

Edit: Or better yet, do both. Security+ can be studied up for and passed with no prior IT knowledge in like a week tops.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Finished studying for the A+ Certification exam... Now onto security + or a CCNA (I should probably get my CCNA shouldn't I?)

Please do not study for a cert if you don't plan on actually comprehending the BoK. You should be able to demonstrate passable understanding of basic concepts. We had a CCIE R&S interview last week that couldn't subnet a 10.x.x.x/20 address. He didn't know basic IOS commands. Today we interviewed an applicant for help desk with his Network+ that didn't know the purpose of a subnet mask.

Your weaknesses will always be exposed by decent interviewers; don't get a cert just to get it. The certs themselves are meaningless -- the knowledge is what you want and if you don't plan on using the knowledge, study for something that you will use.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Good, cause I'm 80% studied for the security +

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Good, cause I'm 80% studied for the security +

Edit: I plan on using and developing the actual skills that come along with it. My only hangups are actually practicing them because I'm trying to break in... Instead of having a job in networking/security.

Edit: 2 Quote is not edit, drat you mobile app

VvvV: what he said, what the actual flying gently caress?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Protokoll posted:

We had a CCIE R&S interview last week that couldn't subnet a 10.x.x.x/20 address. He didn't know basic IOS commands. Today we interviewed an applicant for help desk with his Network+ that didn't know the purpose of a subnet mask.

This... how is this even possible?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CrazyLittle posted:

I am amazed by this too. Couldn't you send an email to cisco? Did you even check if his CCIE was even valid?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
We didn't check because the interview ended fairly quickly. I'm not surprised because my company doesn't like to pay people what they're worth. We've been weeding through poor candidates for 6 months looking for a systems team lead. That being said, if you live near Boston and you know what different block sizes do in vSphere 4.x, I can probably get you a job because people looking for 6 figures in a team lead role don't know that.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

Going into management and getting stale and out of practice over time.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Even if you use dumps for your certs, I'd think through sheer osmosis you'd figure out what the gently caress a subnet mask is while you get your Network+.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

dolicf posted:

Get a CCNA. Security+ is basically a joke cert that is pretty much just an HR checkbox.

Edit: Or better yet, do both. Security+ can be studied up for and passed with no prior IT knowledge in like a week tops.

I heard that it's a pretty big HR checkbox, though. Especially with the government.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I can't answer your question since I haven't taken the test myself, but I would be curious to hear back from you after you take the test. Are you going for the full thing, or the Associate of ISC toward CISSP? Also, do you have any other security related certs like Security+ or SSCP?

Passed the test, the questions are as vague and horrible as they say. About 20 questions in I thought it was a lost cause (I thought I was done in by putting it off for months and cramming for about 10 days 8 hour days in a row before the test). It got better as the test went on.

Now I just have to socially engineer someone into vouching for me :).

I recommend studying over months, there is so much information they can pull the questions from, and since it is semi-random you won't know what you are going to get.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

inignot posted:

Yeah, but you've still got to pass the written every two years to keep a CCIE current.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't this backwards? I started reading the 640 but I think I need to know how to configure a server before messing with AD.

There really is no catch-all 'configure a server' test that would help before AD would. The stuff covered in 640 includes most of what you'd need to know.

There are some enterprise network server design exams I think, but not that apply to an MCITP:EA and you're already pressed for time.

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

Tab8715 posted:

How much did you learn from the OCA? How long did you study and how much did it cost?

I actually learned quite a bit. The tests dig fairly deep into the mechanisms of the RDBMS and Oracle's brand of SQL. I passed both tests within about 9 months, but I also went to an Oracle University class for each of them. I also bought Sybex study guides and Kaplan Self-Test licenses (the combo I use for everything so far). I would guess the total cost at around $10k, but you could do it for much much less (probably about $750), and I doubt it would take significantly longer, if even as long if you have an familiarity with Oracle already.

dolicf posted:

This is not true, in my experience. Security+ isn't an extremely serious cert, but it's not useless. The IA team at a company I worked for previously required one, along with some experience, and they were far from a joke.

There's also very little likelihood someone with no IT knowledge would pass it within a week. Some people study extremely well, so that may have been your experience, but people reading this thread should not assume that will be the case for them.

Graves fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 28, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I felt S+ contained a lot of good, basic information about encryption standards and algorithms as well as their general strengths and weaknesses that the CCNA and MCSA fail to cover.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Graves posted:

I actually learned quite a bit. The tests dig fairly deep into the mechanisms of the RDBMS and Oracle's brand of SQL. I passed both tests within about 9 months, but I also went to an Oracle University class for each of them. I also bought Sybex study guides and Kaplan Self-Test licenses (the combo I use for everything so far). I would guess the total cost at around $10k, but you could do it for much much less (probably about $750), and I doubt it would take significantly longer, if even as long if you have an familiarity with Oracle already.

Is the test required?

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

Tab8715 posted:

Is the test required?

I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll try to cover any bases.

Is the Self-Test license required?
No, I just like to use them. They're a GREAT way to prepare for a test.

Is the class required?
Not for the two OCA tests, but it is required for the OCP test.

Are both tests required?
Yes, both tests are required. I think, maybe, at one point there was some flexibility with what one of the two tests could be, but now the two I mentioned are required.

psydude posted:

I felt S+ contained a lot of good, basic information about encryption standards and algorithms as well as their general strengths and weaknesses that the CCNA and MCSA fail to cover.

I agree. I don't know about the MCSA, but I did study for a CCNA at one point, before deciding to focus in on database administration, and I would say the Security+ fills in some gaps.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

Or in today's world, we use a calculator and not our fingers and abacus.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

routenull0 posted:

Or in today's world, we use a calculator and not our fingers and abacus.

Like this?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

How hard are the RedHat exams? I've been using Linux for almost 15 years (redhat with some Gentoo, Debian and OpenBSD thrown in), been a sysadmin on and off for a while, can set up a Kerberos realm & AFS cell, deployed Solaris 9 on U1s and run a shitload of CentOS on VMware at work. What certs should I shoot for just for shits and giggles?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

How hard are the RedHat exams? I've been using Linux for almost 15 years (redhat with some Gentoo, Debian and OpenBSD thrown in), been a sysadmin on and off for a while, can set up a Kerberos realm & AFS cell, deployed Solaris 9 on U1s and run a shitload of CentOS on VMware at work. What certs should I shoot for just for shits and giggles?

Go for the RHCE, the only thing you'll need to study for are the weird edge cases that you might not have to gently caress with on a daily basis, specifically selinux configs, quotas, cups, rpmbuild, or whatever. Get a book, take the test, and remember that it's extremely time limited - skip to the next task if you start fumbling or don't remember exactly how to do it.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
I agree. With that level of experience, you shouldn't have trouble passing the RHCE. Just make sure to study up on what the test covers, as there are definitely some outliers that you probably haven't experienced before.

Also, be aware that you must pass the RHCSA in order to become RHCE certified. It doesn't matter if you do it before or after you pass the RHCE, but without the RHCSA, passing an RHCE exam gets you nothing.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

luminalflux posted:

How hard are the RedHat exams? I've been using Linux for almost 15 years (redhat with some Gentoo, Debian and OpenBSD thrown in)

You should be fine. Exam objectives are here and here. Brush up on the "Red Hat way" of any objectives you're not confident on and you'll win. I've been an RHCE for almost a decade, and it's been a great investment and opened several doors for me.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone is interested, there's a Groupon today - five Cisco classes for $99. Start with prep for your CCENT then goes on to CCNA and later CCNP.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/it-uni...=occasions_deal

(I'm pretty sure this is not a referral link but I'm not out to get referral cash, so if this does look referraly I'll try to find a non-unique link to the deal)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Balthesar posted:

I passed the 70-461 (Querying SQL Server 2012) exam a couple of weeks ago. I've always had some interest in SQL but am using the exams as a blueprint for topics to study or look into.

I think the most frustrating thing about the 2012 series of Microsoft exams is that the exams have come out long before the materials to study with are available. There are a number of books for the SQL and Server series that aren't even available until April 2013, many months after both Server and SQL 2012 were released. There are plenty of other resources, but the thing I like about the exam prep series is the mapping between the book and exam objectives.

Sadly, this seems to pretty much be normal for the SQL exams. Microsoft never wrote books for anything other then first round of SQL Server exams for 2008 and they've grown the number of exams with 2012, so we'll see what they manage to actually get out the door.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

MJP posted:

In case anyone is interested, there's a Groupon today - five Cisco classes for $99. Start with prep for your CCENT then goes on to CCNA and later CCNP.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/it-uni...=occasions_deal

(I'm pretty sure this is not a referral link but I'm not out to get referral cash, so if this does look referraly I'll try to find a non-unique link to the deal)

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it. The video courses are pretty bland and not as easy to navigate as a dead tree book or even an ebook.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quick question. Looking into getting my MCSA. Is it worth it to do 2008 and then take the upgrade test to get 2012 as well, or should I go straight to 2012?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Quick question. Looking into getting my MCSA. Is it worth it to do 2008 and then take the upgrade test to get 2012 as well, or should I go straight to 2012?

Have you taken any of the exams already? If not, then I think it would be best to jump straight into 2012. If you're already part way there and think you can finish before they retire the 2008 certs (31-Jun-13 iirc), then go ahead and finish it up and upgrade to 2012 later.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Along with the VMware press
http://paulgrevink.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/vcap5-dca-study-guide-is-now-available/
300+ pdf of almost everything you need to know for the DCA.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Scheduled the Sec+ for next Friday. Time to get DoD8750/IAT II and start looking for jobs out in Maryland/NoVA. The Midwest is a wasteland for technical jobs.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

GOOCHY posted:

Scheduled the Sec+ for next Friday. Time to get DoD8750/IAT II and start looking for jobs out in Maryland/NoVA. The Midwest is a wasteland for technical jobs.

If you want in DoD, bone up for CISSP too. Opens up a lot in the DoD area.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Protokoll posted:

Please do not study for a cert if you don't plan on actually comprehending the BoK. You should be able to demonstrate passable understanding of basic concepts. We had a CCIE R&S interview last week that couldn't subnet a 10.x.x.x/20 address. He didn't know basic IOS commands. Today we interviewed an applicant for help desk with his Network+ that didn't know the purpose of a subnet mask.

Why are morons like this even given a chance for an in person interview? I'm assuming they had to have a BS resume and cheated to get the certs. It annoys me to read this because all I get are rejection letters and it would nice to get an interview for a change.

I'm slowly working at the CCNA but am somewhat lacking in motivation right now. I have my A+,N+,S+ and haven't had many results so far. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to quit trying to apply for jobs (because it feels like a wasted effort) and instead just focus on the getting my CCNA and then an active directory certification.

How much of a boost would having a CCNA add to getting hired somewhere? This is where I'm losing motivation, I don't want to spend months of work getting it and then have the same results I have now when it comes to jobs. I'll keep working at it but looking for work right now is just depressing :(.

Security+ is really easy also get the book by Darril Gibson and you can have it done in a week or two.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I see CCNA poo poo on like every generic Network Tech/Engineer I position ever listed and on a lot of tiny sysadmin jobs so I think it would help a lot if you can get motivated enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So would it be worth it to get any Windows 7 Certs if the exams are going to be retired in a year?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcitp-certification.aspx