Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

madsushi posted:

I know HP servers/blades pretty well. I also know enough to stay away from Dell. :)

I'd be happy to chime in with my experiences related to HP - specifically the c7000 series. Interestingly enough, I know enough about them that I did a fist-pump once we started replacing enclosures with R900s and R910s... To each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We are looking at replacing our ample Xenapp deployment with a xendesktop deployment running on xenserver. Does anyone have any experience with running xendesktop deployments on amd bulldozer chips? The 16 integer cores per proc seem very appealing for the application. As a follow up question, is there any kind of api for xenserver like vshield for vmware?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

We are looking at replacing our ample Xenapp deployment with a xendesktop deployment running on xenserver. Does anyone have any experience with running xendesktop deployments on amd bulldozer chips? The 16 integer cores per proc seem very appealing for the application. As a follow up question, is there any kind of api for xenserver like vshield for vmware?

I have a bulldozer right now actually, I am putting together another whitebox ESXi server. However testing view, not xen app; but I'll let you know how it goes!

Here is a nice review of the bulldozers by anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5058/amds-opteron-interlagos-6200

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

I have a bulldozer right now actually, I am putting together another whitebox ESXi server. However testing view, not xen app; but I'll let you know how it goes!

Here is a nice review of the bulldozers by anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5058/amds-opteron-interlagos-6200
We almost went with bulldozer for our main VMware farm, but we had a single application that didn't play well. it was important enough to sway us away. For VDI though, it's a whole different animal so I really am looking for real world experience.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

We almost went with bulldozer for our main VMware farm, but we had a single application that didn't play well. it was important enough to sway us away. For VDI though, it's a whole different animal so I really am looking for real world experience.

Yeah, since I only sell cisco servers I am stuck with intel. My pursumtion would be amd and it's larger core count would be better for a VDI deploy, however it fully depends on VDI's per host and consolidation you want to see. I'm going to stress test it with login VSI and some other tools. I can ask some vmware people I meet up with from time to time and see how they like it, and performance.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Raere posted:

Has anyone used any of the antivirus products that integrate with vShield Endpoint? Supposedly the antivirus engine is hosted in a virtual appliance and performs all of the scanning and updating from within that instead of inside each individual VM. Right now we have about ~15 server VMs, but we'll be moving to VDI sometime next year. I don't think it's a problem now, but as we add more VMs I can see how installing an AV client inside each one is going to start start creating a lot of overhead. VMWare only provides the API, and the AV vendors implement their own solutions. It looks like they all have trials and such, but I don't even know who to start with.

I've had lots of issues with Trendmicro. I'm currently running the latest hotfix everything they've got for Deep Security and still have issues with the virtual appliances taking a poo poo. I had to turn off DRS because it would cause trendmicro to flip out and refuse to protect anything that DRS vmotioned. I don't quite think it's ready for prime time yet.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Kachunkachunk posted:

Windows Firewall on your VC server? Or is it a Linux appliance?

Windows firewall is totally off.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Don't know which is the correct thread (until someone starts a "gently caress HP" thread), but the HP Insight Control for vCenter installer borked in some way when installing it on my vCenter server. Can't install it, can't uninstall it.

Thanks HP.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

luminalflux posted:

Don't know which is the correct thread (until someone starts a "gently caress HP" thread), but the HP Insight Control for vCenter installer borked in some way when installing it on my vCenter server. Can't install it, can't uninstall it.

Thanks HP.

Just wait until it starts leaking memory randomly and your vCenter grinds to a halt.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Number19 posted:

Just wait until it starts leaking memory randomly and your vCenter grinds to a halt.

Dell's theory is to make everything a plugin for vCenter. I don't like that idea for this reason. Keep the lovely software away from my vCenter.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Number19 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the responsibility of the LeftHand management tool.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

During our recent PKI certificate renewal I missed the HP vCenter plugin one. The plugin responded to having an expired certificate by leaking memory continuously until the server was unusable.

Enterprise software :shepface:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Number19 posted:

Enterprise software :shepface:
Whatever software says enterprise on the box is practically obligated to develop obnoxious failure modes.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

luminalflux posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the responsibility of the LeftHand management tool.

Speaking of the Lefthand management tool: mine wont let me setup SNMP. It just gives some "can't set the SNMP agent" error. HP has elevated it to L3 support and they don't know how to fix it.

It's so useless sometimes.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

luminalflux posted:

I have no idea whether this might help you but maybe it'll help someone at some point? I've had good results with manually unregistering vCenter plugins when they're totally broken and making everything unhappy: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/1025360

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
To the people asking about SRM
http://www.vhersey.com/
My teacher has a really great writeup on SRM if you want to check it out. Home Lab and all

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Corvettefisher posted:

To the people asking about SRM
http://www.vhersey.com/
My teacher has a really great writeup on SRM if you want to check it out. Home Lab and all
The reality is that SRM is so easy to setup and configure, a lab is more or less the entirety of the training you need. If you have any experience with VMware at all, you should be able to install and configure it in a few hours with no experience with SRM itself. In fact, I would say licensing it is more complicated than implementing it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

The reality is that SRM is so easy to setup and configure, a lab is more or less the entirety of the training you need. If you have any experience with VMware at all, you should be able to install and configure it in a few hours with no experience with SRM itself. In fact, I would say licensing it is more complicated than implementing it.

Yeah it is pretty straight forward but I recalled some people asking about it so I thought, well if anyone was interested.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a good online resource for jumping into Xen Server? I have some knowledge of VMware but I'm going to start a job where everything is hosted on Xen Server so welp.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Just Xen or Citrix Xenserver? If its Citrix, they have a great set of online docs just hit their website. Your vmware knowledge will transfer well. Concepts really translate nicely between the two.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
I have a coworker who thinks P2V is "pita-v". I find this funny for some reason and do not correct it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

tjl posted:

I have a coworker who thinks P2V is "pita-v". I find this funny for some reason and do not correct it.

This is how I imagine Joe Pesci would say it, if they made an awful movie about Italian mobsters shaking down IT guys. "Gimme the fuckin' money before I P 'ta V yer friggin skull!"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am looking at virtualizing a handful of small, low load servers we have hanging around at various locations. Wondering what sort of specs for the host would be recommended based on the following, with some room to grow:

Windows 2003 webserver:
hosts low load staff only (but accessible to the outside world) website via IIS, MYSQL database for said website, and primary Spiceworks install which collects data from 6 other Spiceworks installs in remote mode

Windows 2003 server:
hosts Peachtree accounting software and its database, has 4 users accessing it via terminal services.

Windows 2003 server:
Branch domain controller, currently holds PDC roles however, file server, provides DHCP services for 3 different VLANs at its physical location.

Ubuntu 12.04 x64 server:
hosts Unifi controller software, Graylog2 log collection software (not really server hardware, was more of an experiment, but ended up being put into use, log software keeps CPU maxed out a lot and stresses out the crappy old SATA drive..)

We have no shared storage... Would the free version suffice? Or would we be better off with one of the paid editions?

Say I wanted 2 hosts for HA/Load purposes which normally requires shared store. I see VMWare has an addon product (Virtual Storage appliance) that turns the shared storage between up to 3 hosts into shared storage for the VMFS store. Is anyone using this type of setup? Pitfalls?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need vCenter for HA, which means licensing the hosts and vCenter (or more realistically, getting a bundle).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My personal opinion is that if you're just going to dump everything onto one server running ESXi free, you shouldn't bother. Yeah you've decommed a bunch of crappy old servers, but you've also put all your eggs in one basket. If that machine dies, everything is down whereas before just the one service on that box would have been. Realistically you want some form of shared storage and one of the VMware Essentials kits (ideally Essentials Plus, but the basic kit is an option if VM downtime during maintenance/hardware failures is acceptable). like evil_bunnY says, you need vCenter Server to get all the cool features you think of when you hear "VMware".

Otherwise look at another solution, perhaps Ganeti with DRBD which can give you failover without shared storage, at the cost of higher I/O and bandwidth requirements. We use that for our non-production servers and it does OK. I don't love it but it's developed and used internally by Google so it's not a total hack job ;)

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 5, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005
What about virtual storage appliance? In looking at the docs on VMware's site that appears to take care of the shared storage issue... I 'm just wondering if anyone here is using it.

I would really like to have at least 2 hosts, but the expense of a NAS might just be too much, at least for me to get approved anyways.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

What about virtual storage appliance? In looking at the docs on VMware's site that appears to take care of the shared storage issue... I 'm just wondering if anyone here is using it.

I would really like to have at least 2 hosts, but the expense of a NAS might just be too much, at least for me to get approved anyways.

In my opinion VSA has too many pitfalls, some of which have been revampped in 5.1.1

However, for what you are doing it sounds like it would work, it is included in essentials plus which will give you your HA, vmotion, and VSA. Essentials+ will run you about 5-6K and should be fine for that environment.

I will agree with Docjowles, one server should be fine, just don't cheap out on the raid controller, and have some backup device in which you can perform backups to(AND CHECK TO MAKE SURE THEY WORK).

PS: Snapshots are NOT backups

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Citrix XenServer Advanced Edition runs $1,000 per host MSRP ($800 if you beat up your reseller). Spend the difference between Xen and VMWare on a really cheap SAN (Like a Dell PowerVault) or a really expensive NAS.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Poor man's shared storage can also be done with a bit of know-how and some form of highly-available file system. Hadoop, lustre/gluster, etc.
I'd go that route if a lot of actual purpose-built products weren't free for me to mess around with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wizzle posted:

Citrix XenServer Advanced Edition runs $1,000 per host MSRP ($800 if you beat up your reseller). Spend the difference between Xen and VMWare on a really cheap SAN (Like a Dell PowerVault) or a really expensive NAS.

Unless something has changed recently the free version of XenServer also allows for live migration on shared storage.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]

Internet Explorer posted:

Unless something has changed recently the free version of XenServer also allows for live migration on shared storage.

Does it? When v6 was debuting live migration was still a payware feature...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wizzle posted:

Hyper-V is a really great option too. I don't know all of it but it is pretty good for small enviroments

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

szlevi posted:

Does it? When v6 was debuting live migration was still a payware feature...

I've never known the XenServer free version to not include "XenMotion".

http://www.citrix.com/products/xenserver/features/editions.html?ntref=next

Corvettefisher posted:

Hyper-V is a really great option too. I don't know all of it but it is pretty good for small enviroments

I'd agree with you if I didn't just spend the last 4 hours dealing with rebooting two different Hyper-V hosts because they completely stopped responding to all management (console, RDP, RPC calls, and in one case pings). XenServer or VMware would be 1 quick command and no moving guests or downtime in the case of no shared storage.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

I'd agree with you if I didn't just spend the last 4 hours dealing with rebooting two different Hyper-V hosts because they completely stopped responding to all management (console, RDP, RPC calls, and in one case pings). XenServer or VMware would be 1 quick command and no moving guests or downtime in the case of no shared storage.
Like I said, I don't know too much about it. I though 2012 resolved a bunch of stability issues.

E: I'll do further research prior to posting about it.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

stevewm posted:

Might be worth looking at the HP Storevirtual as well. Slightly more expensive but more features and flexibility IMO.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

Like I said, I don't know too much about it. I though 2012 resolved a bunch of stability issues.

E: I'll do further research prior to posting about it.

2012 may be better. I know now it is a separate install. And the hosts I was talking about, the client used a standard Windows 2008 r2 install instead of Core. :downs:

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

Yes. The free version comes with a lot of features but you have to remember to re-license it every year. Also with the Advanced Version you can add unlimited tech support for $70 per host per year given a little loophole called Premier Support.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Docjowles posted:

My personal opinion is that if you're just going to dump everything onto one server running ESXi free, you shouldn't bother. Yeah you've decommed a bunch of crappy old servers, but you've also put all your eggs in one basket. If that machine dies, everything is down whereas before just the one service on that box would have been. Realistically you want some form of shared storage and one of the VMware Essentials kits (ideally Essentials Plus, but the basic kit is an option if VM downtime during maintenance/hardware failures is acceptable). like evil_bunnY says, you need vCenter Server to get all the cool features you think of when you hear "VMware".

Otherwise look at another solution, perhaps Ganeti with DRBD which can give you failover without shared storage, at the cost of higher I/O and bandwidth requirements. We use that for our non-production servers and it does OK. I don't love it but it's developed and used internally by Google so it's not a total hack job ;)

[ASK] Me about running two 4.1 servers in the same rack without vCenter

Having all the eggs in one basket with no easy way to move services to do hardware maintenance is one of the banes of my existence. Spend 60% of the cost of your server on a less powerful server, then get two of them. Yeah it costs more money, but so does after hours downtime because that's the only time you can patch esxi/hardware maintenance.

In other news, I've been gone on my honeymoon since the 20th of December, and I sure to come to work tomorrow to a stalled (Best case) or horribly botched (worst case) 5.1 greenfield deployment. Tomorrow's gonna be fun.

E: holy poo poo gone not working. I ain't done poo poo other than listen to a coworker bitch on gchat.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 7, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Really it comes down to what his SLA's, RTO, acceptable maintenance windows, and most importantly funds for this operation. Essentials Plus is a really great value however this seems like a relatively small deploy, and justifications of that spending might not be do-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wizzle posted:

Our really expensive NAS was $1.5m :(