Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

escape artist posted:

I might have won if it weren't for that loving baseball final jeopardy.

That was way easier than 90% of the other crap they had on tonight.

Even the dummy who got it wrong was half-right; the Dodgers did play in the LA Coliseum but I guess he missed the part that says "CURRENT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
What's wrong with you all? Part of my main daydream of being on Jeopardy is being able to tell a semi-interesting anecdote about myself on national television.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I rarely watch them because PVR, but I always laugh when the person's anecdote is even worse than most of them because you just KNOW that is the most interesting thing that has ever happened in that person's life.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HookShot posted:

I rarely watch them because PVR, but I always laugh when the person's anecdote is even worse than most of them because you just KNOW that is the most interesting thing that has ever happened in that person's life.

There are probably a lot of entertaining stories that are not told because
A) the person is embarrassed
B) it would not be good for early evening network TV

Like, I have plenty of good stories... but most of them are very dark. I'd probably end up telling the story of when I met President Clinton.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

escape artist posted:

There are probably a lot of entertaining stories that are not told because
A) the person is embarrassed
B) it would not be good for early evening network TV

Like, I have plenty of good stories... but most of them are very dark. I'd probably end up telling the story of when I met President Clinton.

You're ruining my judging of people I don't know on a nerd quiz show. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

jscolon2.0 posted:

What's wrong with you all? Part of my main daydream of being on Jeopardy is being able to tell a semi-interesting anecdote about myself on national television.

I'm pissed because I know I'll never do good enough on the online test, but I have interesting anecdotes!

Well, at least one.

I was attacked by a bear once.

You move, other contestants. :smug:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

escape artist posted:

So I hear you met President Clinton once.

Yes, Alex. He was crossing the street in New York and I waved at him.

Did he wave back?

No, he didn't see me, Alex.

Wonderful story.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I was attacked by a bear once.

You move, other contestants. :smug:

I always hope that one day, someone will have an utterly insane and hosed up story to tell.

Alex: "John from Buffalo. I'm told you spent some time in Croatia?"

John: "Jesus. Yes. So, I'm in Zagreb, in this hotel, and the cops are pounding the door in: 'Policija! Policija!' And I am balls-deep on DMT, right? And this crazy whore I bought is just bleeding *everywhere*; she starts screaming her head off..."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

The one anecdote I can recall watching offhand is some guy who didn't win telling Alex he watches My Little Pony (the one half the Internet watches) although they didn't say the name on the show.
Why on Earth you would admit that on national television is beyond me.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Island Nation posted:

The one anecdote I can recall watching offhand is some guy who didn't win telling Alex he watches My Little Pony (the one half the Internet watches) although they didn't say the name on the show.

They didn't say the name of the show? That's almost weirder, how did that work? Did he describe it or something? Was Alex like, "So Bob, I understand you like watching cartoons geared toward little girls?"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsywQM1tko

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Can't believe the two women didn't know which amendment gave women the right to vote. That is 10th grade poo poo. I had to memorize all the amendments in a regular class, and still know 3/4 of them.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Yes

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.

escape artist posted:

Can't believe the two women didn't know which amendment gave women the right to vote. That is 10th grade poo poo. I had to memorize all the amendments in a regular class, and still know 3/4 of them.

I'm still caught up on the judges giving the new champion credit for his bullshit "Reesie's piecies" answer. It wouldn't matter so much to me if the category weren't Rhyme Time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

escape artist posted:

During the commercial break, it donned on me that they meant "sex" as in "gender"*, and so I already knew it was the 19th Amendment.

*I'm not sure what other words to use, please don't hate me for being politically incorrect.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

GammaShade posted:

I'm still caught up on the judges giving the new champion credit for his bullshit "Reesie's piecies" answer. It wouldn't matter so much to me if the category weren't Rhyme Time.

Ugh, not even a Jeopardy thing, but it annoys me so much when people say it like that.

The words Reese's and pieces already rhyme...why are you changing both words to rhyme with the other, changed word?!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ugh, not even a Jeopardy thing, but it annoys me so much when people say it like that.

The words Reese's and pieces already rhyme...why are you changing both words to rhyme with the other, changed word?!

I have broken myself of this habit, but I did that from childhood to early adulthood. I don't know where it comes from or why people do it.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I say reesie's piecies all the time, and I KNOW it's wrong. gently caress y'all. All a y'all.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I say reesie's piecies all the time, and I KNOW it's wrong. gently caress y'all. All a y'all.

No, gently caress you! ;)

Colonial Air Force posted:

During the commercial break, it donned on me that they meant "sex" as in "gender"*, and so I already knew it was the 19th Amendment.

*I'm not sure what other words to use, please don't hate me for being politically incorrect.

I had a feeling it would be the 19th amendment before the answer, too. It really blows my mind though, that two highly intelligent and knowledgeable women didn't get it, and the one man knew it.

And yeah, Ree-See's Pee-Sees thing has driven me crazy my whole life. Is that how they say it in E.T. or something? I know nobody that says "Ree-Sees Peanut Butter Cups."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

escape artist posted:

And yeah, Ree-See's Pee-Sees thing has driven me crazy my whole life. Is that how they say it in E.T. or something? I know nobody that says "Ree-Sees Peanut Butter Cups."

I heard tons of people say Reesie's Cups growing up. I thought it was a general Southwest-accent thing.

And it does drive me insane. The guy's name was Reese, these are his Cups/Pieces, it's not that hard.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Why don't you draw a picture of some reesie's piecies with a box of crowns.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ricey's Pisces

The Final Jeopardy tonight was ridiculously easy. It could have been a single Jeopardy non-daily double question.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

escape artist posted:

The Final Jeopardy tonight was ridiculously easy. It could have been a single Jeopardy non-daily double question.

Seriously. I couldn't believe the one guy got it wrong.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
That 10 letter daily double question was bullshit. When was the last time anyone used the word "videophone"?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MondayHotDog posted:

That 10 letter daily double question was bullshit. When was the last time anyone used the word "videophone"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGkvXp0vdng

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

raditts posted:

Why don't you draw a picture of some reesie's piecies with a box of crowns.

For a LONG time I've wanted to start a crayon company called "Crown's Crayons."

"I need a box of 'crowns.'" ~my dumb market share

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

escape artist posted:

Ricey's Pisces

It should have been "This imaginary character became 'real' on November 18, 1985"

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ElwoodCuse posted:

It should have been "This imaginary character became 'real' on November 18, 1985"

And I wouldn't get it... Pinocchio would be my guess though.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

zVxTeflon posted:

Christ ditch the stories segment already. I have yet to hear one that isn't some stupid as gently caress no one cares type poo poo. Give them more time to finish off the board or at least edit away some of that dead air when noone rings in.

I PVR the show so I can skip right past the first commercial and the stories at the same time. I've got it timed to a science. Who the gently caress wants to listen to some rear end in a top hat give a boring story followed by Comedian Alex Trebek trying to elicit laughter by staring into the camera after every goddamn story.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 5, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I know Jeopardy is traditionally bad about the difficulty of sports questions, but Babe Ruth was ridiculously easy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Someone posted this in the GBS YouTube thread and I thought I'd cross post it here since someone brought it up earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEBCve-3Cw

It's a hour and a half documentary on the guy who "cheated" on Press Your Luck. I put cheated in quotes because he technically didn't cheat, just figured out the pattern and rhythm of the board. It's a pretty interesting watch and the guy looks loving psycho. If I didn't know better I'd say he just scared the Whammies away with his psycho crazy eyed stare. It's got interviews with the game host, the two contestants who played the game with him and some of the people behind the scenes in production.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 8, 2013

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jscolon2.0 posted:

I know Jeopardy is traditionally bad about the difficulty of sports questions, but Babe Ruth was ridiculously easy.

I think that might be the easiest final jeopardy I've ever seen. Jesus.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

KilGrey posted:

Someone posted this in the GBS YouTube thread and I thought I'd cross post it here since someone brought it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEBCve-3Cw

It's a hour and a half documentary on the guy who "cheated" on Press Your Luck. I put cheated in quotes because he technically didn't cheat just figured out the pattern and rhythm of the board. It's a pretty interesting watch and the guy looks loving psycho. If I didn't know better I'd say he just scared the Whammies away with his psycho crazy eyed stare. It's got interviews with the game host and the two contestants who played the game with him.

Oh my god I've seen that like two or three times already but I'm still tempted to watch it again. It's a seriously captivating story and depressing as heck he just went through life going from one get rich quick scheme to another. I'm almost surprised he was the first (only?) person to figure that out but then I remember how much work it must have taken to do it on a VCR. I'm glad they filmed it before Peter Tomarken's plane crash in 2006, RIP

e: in looking for the original post I also learned via GBS that Huell Howser died today, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :patriot:

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 8, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think that might be the easiest final jeopardy I've ever seen. Jesus.

Not to mention the previous one about the Seven Dwarves... Even my (stupid) father got it. I think they're switching the Final Jeopardy questions with the Single Jeopardy round $200 questions...

There were several questions about which I had no idea... But Babe Ruth and the Seven Dwarves? Come on man. I watch this show to challenge my brain, not to make it regress.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

uublog posted:

Oh my god I've seen that like two or three times already but I'm still tempted to watch it again. It's a seriously captivating story and depressing as heck he just went through life going from one get rich quick scheme to another. I'm almost surprised he was the first (only?) person to figure that out but then I remember how much work it must have taken to do it on a VCR. I'm glad they filmed it before Peter Tomarken's plane crash in 2006, RIP

I was surprised he was the only one to figure it out as well, but yeah, this was 1984 and I don't think VCRs were even that common then. But once you learn the pattern he's looking for, I couldn't unsee it.

The craziest 'get rich quick' scheme to me was when he brought home $50,000 in dollar bills because there was a contest on the radio that if you match a serial number they read out on a dollar bill you'd win some cash. He made his poor wife sit there and look through 50,000 bills every loving day to try to find a match.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Taking the online Jeopardy test for the first time tonight. Fully prepared to have all my dreams crushed by the internet.
And by that I mean, swiftly weeded out before I have a chance to embarrass myself and my family on national television.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

KilGrey posted:

I was surprised he was the only one to figure it out as well, but yeah, this was 1984 and I don't think VCRs were even that common then. But once you learn the pattern he's looking for, I couldn't unsee it.

The craziest 'get rich quick' scheme to me was when he brought home $50,000 in dollar bills because there was a contest on the radio that if you match a serial number they read out on a dollar bill you'd win some cash. He made his poor wife sit there and look through 50,000 bills every loving day to try to find a match.

Yeah, that was a crazy one. You'd think he'd be satisfied with the money he won on PYL, but I got the idea he was the kind of guy who never had enough. I can't believe he just left all those bills out for them to be stolen one night. It's crazy to me that he had ran off to some other place with some other woman and one day the wife heard he was dead from cancer. Just kind of came and went.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Taking the online Jeopardy test for the first time tonight. Fully prepared to have all my dreams crushed by the internet.
And by that I mean, swiftly weeded out before I have a chance to embarrass myself and my family on national television.

You and me both, "smartest among my group of friends, but a dumbass when it comes to real stuff" buddy! :hfive:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Don't fret if you don't make it. They've repeatedly said in the fine print "just because you pass the test, does not guarantee you move on to the next round."

I'm taking mine on Thursday @ 11pm. Let us know how it goes for you guys.

I expect it to be like this:
OPERA QUESTION
BRITISH MONARCH QUESTION
OPERA QUESTION
OBSCURE COMPOSER QUESTION
BASEBALL QUESTION
OPERA QUESTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'm doing Thursday at 10pm.