Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Right. Did it fall off or something? What I'm saying is I don't see the failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The failure was the head bolts only being torqued to ~50ft-lbs. Although if it lasted 2 years I would call it a mechanical wonder.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What are they supposed to be? I do a lot of motorcycles that are 25ft/lb so 50 doesn't sound crazy to me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
40lb-ft plus 90* and then another 90*. Likely around 120lb-ft or so.

Whats worse? This is the 3rd head failure I've seen like this.

Normally It takes a 3' cheater bar to pull headbolts.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My Plymouth 383 heads were torqued to 160-ft-lbs. There were sixteen a side. It was a bitch.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Not a car, but a failure.
Cheap Target lamp with a screw on plastic top. I unscrewed the retaining nut and bang. The plastic top shattered. I didn't know plastic could do that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mine go to 157 ft-lbs (in 3 steps, iirc), and 6 of them are under the loving injector bosses so you have to use Special Tool #257392408759304867-A(9) Mark 5 to get to them with a torque wrench. Those tools are known for breaking or bending, so what everyone does is get a $10 7/8" box wrench at the parts store, cut the box end off with about 3/4" of handle, then weld a long 1/2" drive extension to it and bend it with O/A until it's mostly in line with the head again.

It's like the most ghetto crows foot you've ever seen. And my last one was in my toolbag when it got stolen, so I'm going to have to make another this time around. drat thieves :argh:

Here's the horrible failure involved:

(the short stud to the far right is the one that's a pain. There is one per cylinder)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That is a bitchin' fuckin headgasket failure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my 22:1 CR escaping.

Seriously, even with earplugs, it was loving deafening. The exhaust system is 4" straight pipe that dumps right by the passenger window with only a turbo to muffle anything, and I was running balls to the wall at the top of 5th on NH13 toward Mont Vernon at basically maximum boost when it let loose on me. I thought I was gonna die, the whole cab filled with diesel fumes and smoke through the various extra mounting holes all over the firewall. I expected to see rods hanging out the side of the block and was very relieved to find that I only had a horrible compression leak out the back of #6. Drove it another 5 miles or so to a friends house and ended up fixing it there... for the first time...

What's left of the gasket now hangs on the wall in my office :v:

Here's a horrible failure (it's only a model)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aajp-A43glA

Apparently it's best if the servos for the ailerons remain attached to the airframe.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

I remember this - the FJ was at the SGI salvage lot in Regina, SK.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Not the horriblest mechanical failure, but still. The drill bit was so lovely that the drill had enough torque to twist the drill bit so it appeared to have been unwound. Chinese knock-off brand apparently.

Shamelessly stolen from reddit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Why did he have his drill in reverse while drilling?

edit: spoke to soon, I see it now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wasn't sure whether to put this in horrible car poo poo, horrible mechanical failures, the jeep thread, or here, but 14 inch grandpa still owes us seized 4.0 pictures, so here it shall go.

This guy showed up with a lightly knocking engine (probably due to a cracked 0331 head and washed-out bearings), he already has a spare sitting in the shop at home and was trailering his jeep so he really didn't give a gently caress what happened to it. It threw a rod on the first attempt of this obstacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNNYXfpfoWs

Key quotes:
"dude it's raining... poo poo... how is this still running"
"chunks of engine... is that a connecting rod?!"

They found chunks of bearings, conrod caps, most of a connecting rod, part of an oil pan... all over the ground.

And then he drove it back to the end of the trail and onto the trailer. 4.0 durability :black101:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The only failure is that he didn't make it up the obstacle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...while dumping oil all over the ground, bravo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is one tough bastard of an engine.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Aurune posted:

Not a car, but a failure.
Cheap Target lamp with a screw on plastic top. I unscrewed the retaining nut and bang. The plastic top shattered. I didn't know plastic could do that.

I've owned two lamps like that and they both failed in exactly the same way. One of them had a goose-neck lamp on the side with a shade from the same material, and when I went to turn the thing off after the main shade exploded, the other one went too.

I didn't even bother with taking it apart when I threw it into the dumpster, I just heaved it like a javelin with a farewell "gently caress ya!"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Great, half the lighting in my apartment comes from those things (what can I say, they're cheap, get the job done, and look decent enough), now I'm just waiting for them to start exploding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

...while dumping oil all over the ground, bravo.

It was at the front of the pan (#1 cyl let loose) and facing uphill, and they picked up as much of the scattered bits and cleaned up the oil as best as possible, but yes, that is a concern. It is also part of why he turned around and called it a day right then (that's Ma Bell trail in western mass, he was maybe 200ft from the trailer) rather than continuing to try and make it up.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Not quite a failure, but almost....

Helped a friend swap out a mid 70's washer for a late 90's one.

Found that attached to the old one. Guess it was a good thing we were swapping it out.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Cross posting from the Locomotive Insanity thread:

quote:

Blue Peter Rod

The result of the 1994 slip at Durham. 60532 was hauling an Edinburgh-York railtour and, after leaving Durham station, slipped violently while coming off the viaduct to the south of the station. The wheels were said to have spun at 140mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E54HUQYeFNg

quote:

During this time the locomotive worked very well and soon earned a reputation as a strong, reliable performer amongst footplate crews and passengers alike. However, on the 1st October 1994, whilst working a tour from Edinburgh to York the locomotive suffered a major mechanical failure, caused by a prolonged uncontrolled wheel slip on departure from Durham Station. During the slip both outside sets of valve gear were destroyed, the leading coupling rods were bent, all coupled wheel axle boxes were damaged and the left leading driving wheel moved on its axle.

Following the removal of the damaged valve gear the locomotive was hauled to Thornaby MPD, where NELPG volunteers carried out the extensive repairs necessary. One of the most difficult tasks required to effect the repair was the removal and refitting of the slipped wheel from its axle. A country-wide search for a wheel press capable of removing the 6'2" wheel from the crank axle eventually revealed the existence of a suitable device at the then British Steel fitting shops, Redcar (just 10 miles from the locomotive).

The repair work took 18 months to complete and following a period of running in on the NYMR the locomotive resumed its mainline career in November 1996, working a charter from Middlesbrough to Skipton via Newcastle and Carlisle.

A full history of the locomotive.

Typical train people, left out the worst bit:

the video posted:

The engine driver tried to wind the valve gear back towards centre, but the reverse wheel spun violently back to full forward gear and broke both his arms.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 8, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Is that the railroad equivalent of flooring my car on ice and having it rev so fast that the engine explodes?

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

Polymerized Cum posted:

Is that the railroad equivalent of flooring my car on ice and having it rev so fast that the engine explodes?

Imagine revving a big Detroit Diesel to 15000 rpm then yes its equivalent.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

Imagine revving a big Detroit Diesel to 15000 rpm then yes its equivalent.

2 or 4 stroke?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

General_Failure posted:

2 or 4 stroke?

Does it really matter? The two-strokes didn't really rev that high either, they just sounded faster because they're two-stroke and are firing twice as often. The famous Detroit 6-71 redlines at 2100, it just sounds sorta similar to a four-stroke turning 4200 which would be pretty high for a diesel.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

Does it really matter? The two-strokes didn't really rev that high either, they just sounded faster because they're two-stroke and are firing twice as often. The famous Detroit 6-71 redlines at 2100, it just sounds sorta similar to a four-stroke turning 4200 which would be pretty high for a diesel.

I know. It was a joke primarily to do with the sound of the 2 stroke. Spent a lot of time around them. very angry sounding diesels.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

General_Failure posted:

I know. It was a joke primarily to do with the sound of the 2 stroke. Spent a lot of time around them. very angry sounding diesels.

drat internet and it's inability to carry tone of expression and such.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sounds like a job for the ~{Sarcmarktm}~

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I wish i could get pictures off my old phone onto my computer. Im not as good with that as i am cars i guess.

ive got a pic here of a 2011 Ford Raptor that came in the shop with some issues. The town i live in has a fair amount of rich farm people, and this is one of their toys. I guess it gets rallied around the farm for coyote hunting. Its totally dented, covered in mud, and the interior is filthy. 30k on the clock.

So whats the issue? They snapped the RF coil spring clear in two.

That was totally not 1,000 words so you guys just imagine it, its pretty whack, that truck and how they treat it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Pretty sure this is about 50-75 pages back, but worth showing again:

The Dodge on the left rolled in a ditch once. The Raptor on the right rolled in the same ditch 3-4 times before stopping.

Story

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Raw_Beef posted:

That was totally not 1,000 words so you guys just imagine it, its pretty whack, that truck and how they treat it.

There is a farm across from one of my stores, the owner of it has another company and the farm was bought as sort of a hobby, and a place for his spoiled kids to play around on their ATVs and Snowmobiles on, they also drive regular cars around on the farm, most of the kids are not legal driving age.

One of the "Farm Vehicles" was a 2005 Toyota Highlander. Another? A 2002 Mercedes S50 AMG.

They gutted the Highlander's interior last year and painted it John Deere blitz black, and proceeded to drive it through a giant mud pit and hydrolock it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Devyl posted:

Pretty sure this is about 50-75 pages back, but worth showing again:

The Dodge on the left rolled in a ditch once. The Raptor on the right rolled in the same ditch 3-4 times before stopping.

Story

"going a bit under the speed limit"

lmao, my rear end. Guy either had no snow tires, no 4wd, or was going way too fast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They don't look like snow tires in the other picture. In the right conditions that's all it takes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, a bit under the speed limit probably means something like 60 in a 65 on ice. I was in a situation once where two dumbshits stopped in the middle of a snowstorm at night in the middle of nowhere in utah. I barely stayed on the road avoiding them and couldn't have been going much more than 35.

Here's something for the thread:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Sweet negative camber, yo! I mean, it's not like you need all those pesky bolts right?

Whats the story on that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like a camber bolt snapped off. They'll do that, especially in salty-rear end climates like ours. :(

Top and bottom camber bolts. Pimpin'.

Everything else under there looks pretty clean, and I don't recognize the control arm or those endlinks, but the caliper looks familiar... what is it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Celica GT4 or similar? Massive caliper but AWD (I'm disregarding the possibility of a FWD car having a brake that big), with a front bias by the size of the halfshaft. Maybe an evo?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Some dipshit trying to be hellaflush. Notice how the lower camber bolt is not actually bolted through the upright.

Not sure what car. Not a subaru or evo from the control arm though. It got posted by the owner of a honda shop so I'm going with that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jamal posted:

Some dipshit trying to be hellaflush. Notice how the lower camber bolt is not actually bolted through the upright.

Not sure what car. Not a subaru or evo from the control arm though. It got posted by the owner of a honda shop so I'm going with that.

I just figured it was a shear failure and some wiped metal is what was holding the bolt head in. If that is a complete bolt and that was done on purpose that is so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm replacing a harness on a Pathfinder right now. Battery acid ate the terminal off and got into the harness. So I've had to undo the connection in the fuse panel, then undo 3 connectors/bolts on the alternator, and about a dozen more cause the harness is like a squid.

Heading down to the alternator. There's more access from the top.

Book time says 0.6hr :(