Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Got a PS2? Play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. I've been playing Lord of the Rings: War In The North lately, it being from the same developers, but the story is pretty boring. There's a cool eagle to talk to and the game is okay so if you can't come up with anything else you could go with that. Seems pretty polished.

Also, did you play Torchlight 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Got a PS2? Play Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. I've been playing Lord of the Rings: War In The North lately, it being from the same developers, but the story is pretty boring. There's a cool eagle to talk to and the game is okay so if you can't come up with anything else you could go with that. Seems pretty polished.

Also, did you play Torchlight 2?

Are you playing this alone or co-op? I want to play it by myself but I hear it's extremely difficult that way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
War in the North? I'm only one or two chapters in(2-2.5 hours) but it hasn't been a big deal to play it solo. I've gone down maybe a handful of times. No idea if it gets much harder later on.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I do have a PS2 and will definitely have to check out Baldur's gate, I've been meaning to anyway. The LOTR game would be sweet, with the whole Tolkien world and all that, but I've heard bad things about the game btu maybe I should ignore those.

I didn't play Torchlight, but my buddy and his wife got it in lieu of D3 and said it was ok, but as far as Computer games go it'd have to be Mac compatible since that's all my wife has :(

Thanks for the reply, and also I guess I'll extend my request to outside the fantasy world, not sure why I limited myself to that I've just been on a fantasy kick lately.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 3, 2013

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

War in the North? I'm only one chapter in but it hasn't been a big deal to play it solo. I've gone down maybe a handful of times. No idea if it gets much harder later on.

I played it co-op with a buddy and the boss fights were brutally hard. I wonder if it's tuned different for single player.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I think the only boss fight I've had is Tharzog and he was really easy. If he was hard for you guys I'd say it's definitely tuned differently.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

RizieN posted:

Almost in the same vein, but kind of the opposite.

I'm trying to find a fun, character building/customizable Co-Operative RPG. My brother and I used to play Gauntlet Legends all the time and it was a blast. I played Diablo 3 with my wife and it was a blast. And now I feel like gaming again, and Black Ops is only so fun for so long. Same with Dungeon Defenders (which is really fun, but I can't marathon that game because its just a slasher with some tower defense).

The problem that is I want the game to be polished and not loving lovely. I'm pretty sure we tried to play Dungeon Siege 3 in anticipation of D3 and that game sucked, it just felt clunky and like an old lovely PC game or something, if I recall correctly. The 4 person Marvel game a while back was cool, but I don't want to revisit it.

I want a rich fantasy world with good co-op and at least a decent story. I don't want to do any Everquest style grinding, but a game that plays from that POV that would be ok (as opposed to the D3 style overhead view click click click).

It doesn't exist does it?

This is a stretch since it matches basically none of your explicit criteria, but Borderlands 2 co-op is fantastic. We've put about 100 hours into it so far and there's more DLC on the way.
[edit] Oh, I'm not sure if there's a Mac version...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 4, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RizieN posted:

I didn't play Torchlight, but my buddy and his wife got it in lieu of D3 and said it was ok, but as far as Computer games go it'd have to be Mac compatible since that's all my wife has :(

Good news! Both Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are availiable for Mac OS X.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Suspicious Dish posted:

Saria might work. Look forward to The Witness, which I have high hopes for as scratching that Myst itch.

Do you mean Saira, by Nifflas? And yeah, I've been following The Witness for ages but it's certainly not out yet. :v:

Asking this again, for new page:

flatluigi posted:

Replaying Fez and talking with a friend through her first playthrough of Myst (and her upcoming playthrough of Riven) has got me itching for a game along those lines, but I've honestly come across very little that share the same qualities. Any suggestions?

For those who haven't played either: both Fez and the Myst series have puzzles that are pushed into the background of the world; the major gameplay is atmospheric exploration and putting information together that isn't really explicitly told a lot of the time. Puzzles are decently frequent, but with a good touch that they don't always appear as puzzles to start with - one of my favorites is in Riven where you play with an object in a classroom until you realize it's used to teach kids their numbers - then you use it to figure out the game's number system.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

Do you mean Saira, by Nifflas?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Recommend me a Mafia game. I don't care if its a sandbox game, I'm just craving a gangster game specifically for the PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Recommend me a Mafia game. I don't care if its a sandbox game, I'm just craving a gangster game specifically for the PC.

Sleeping Dogs might work. You play as an undercover cop infiltrating a Triad syndicate in Hong Kong.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sleeping Dogs might work. You play as an undercover cop infiltrating a Triad syndicate in Hong Kong.

Good recommendation, but I beat the game the other day. I'm currently playing the Nightmare in North Point DLC cause the game is so fantastic.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just finished Far Cry 3 and it was super enjoyable, but I'm now at an impasse. I have a huge amount of games to play, but have no real pull towards any one particular game aside from War Thunder. However, tonight, I want to play something different than WW2 air combat.

Here's my steam game list:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SquadronROE/games?tab=all

Help me figure out what to play this afternoon. I have around 3-4 hours to play things. I don't really care if I've played it or not before, my only request is that it actually has to be playable. So nothing that relies on an online community that is now dead (Red Orchestra) or requires a subscription (EVE: Online). But whatever the consensus is, I'll play it. If it's Moonbase Alpha, I'll play the hell out of that. Gettysburg: Armored Warfare? Let's see what a cannon does to a tank (nothing at all, except in that game where it does X hitpoints of damage.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

flatluigi posted:

Do you mean Saira, by Nifflas? And yeah, I've been following The Witness for ages but it's certainly not out yet. :v:

Asking this again, for new page:

The gulf between good-Myst-like and bad-Myst-like is pretty gigantic in my experience. Riven is pretty much the only game that integrates the puzzles properly into the worldbuilding, others (and I include the rest of the Myst series) either throw them at you for no good reason (solve this tower of hanoi to open this door) or reduce everything to "search the background for the symbols that match and enter them into this doohickey for no readily apparent reason".

That said, Schism: Mysterious Journey has some okay puzzles, and is downright gorgeous to look at, but avoid the sequel at all costs, I could fill the whole PYF things dragging this game down thread on that loving abomination. I've heard good things about the Rhem series. I got a few hours into the first one before my laptop ate itself. There's no real plot to speak of, but exploring is kind of fun, the map is hideously convoluted so just getting anywhere is a bit of a headscratcher.

On a similar vein there's always Miasmata. It's a simple plant collection/alchemy game, with a pretty tricky cartography system. You have a map that you slowly fill in by tagging landmarks and triangulating your position to add new landmarks to the map - its also the only way you can work out your position on the map.

What other Myst-likes have you played? This is for my own benefit really.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

SquadronROE posted:

I just finished Far Cry 3 and it was super enjoyable, but I'm now at an impasse. I have a huge amount of games to play, but have no real pull towards any one particular game aside from War Thunder. However, tonight, I want to play something different than WW2 air combat.

Here's my steam game list:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SquadronROE/games?tab=all

Help me figure out what to play this afternoon. I have around 3-4 hours to play things. I don't really care if I've played it or not before, my only request is that it actually has to be playable. So nothing that relies on an online community that is now dead (Red Orchestra) or requires a subscription (EVE: Online). But whatever the consensus is, I'll play it. If it's Moonbase Alpha, I'll play the hell out of that. Gettysburg: Armored Warfare? Let's see what a cannon does to a tank (nothing at all, except in that game where it does X hitpoints of damage.

Based on my own experience, have you tried Wargame: European Escalation? I don't know if it's still on sale but it's a pretty drat good RTS game.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 4, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I have, but I could stand to put a few more hours into it. It's been a few months.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Oh, I didn't even check your Steam games list.

Also, there's several games in your list with no played hours that I would recommend to other people. Frozen Synapse, assuming it still has players, Metro 2033, Legend of Grimrock, the two newest Red Faction games and X3.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I do have a lot of games people would qualify as "good" on that list. I think I might fire up X3 again. I'd like to do starship shootering tonight.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I started out playing Divinity 2 last night. Thanks again for the recommendations, guys.

One question though. The world seems cool, but character control, meaning the look and feel of movement and combat, seems really jagged and unpolished. Do you ever get used to that or does it stick out at you the whole time?

vvv Seems obvious, but have you played Starcraft 2? I've never touched the multiplayer (*gasp!* *faint*), but I played through the single player campaign a few times and it's excellent.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 4, 2013

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Can someone recommend me a good action RTS? Looking for something more like Age of Empires, Warcraft III then something like Civilization or Total Wars, like uhh.. how do I explain this? Basically more fast paced, build your stuff, get resources, etc. Not really slow-paced like Civ games. Also preferably the game be more recent.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can someone recommend me a good action RTS? Looking for something more like Age of Empires, Warcraft III then something like Civilization or Total Wars, like uhh.. how do I explain this? Basically more fast paced, build your stuff, get resources, etc. Not really slow-paced like Civ games. Also preferably the game be more recent.

StarCraft II

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
^ Warning: Clicking required.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Company of Heroes, Age of Empires 3 are recent-ish (in case you don't have the latter), and the former must be - along with Wargame - one of the best games in the genre in quite a while.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

I AM BRAWW posted:

Even though it's not very recent, you might want to check out Rise of Nations. Easily one of my favourite games.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm looking for an accessible turn-based strategy game. Something like Civ 5. I used to play a popular browser-based game called Supremacy 1914. That single-player would be perfect if you know it. Paradox games have too high a learning curve for me.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Along with the Company of Heroes recommendation, try Dawn of War 2. Relic makes excellent fast-paced RTS's that focus on action and strategy instead of resource management and base building.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

busfahrer posted:

Even though it's not very recent, you might want to check out Rise of Nations. Easily one of my favourite games.

Seconding Rise of Nations, its the pinnacle of Age of Empires style RTS games. Very good game but I'm not sure where you'd get it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I AM BRAWW posted:

Red Alert 3? It's extremely fast paced despite having base building.

I echo the Relic games though. Dawn of War 2 especially as it has almost zero base building (just one factory HQ you upgrade to get more unit tiers;) it's all about unit and resource management.

rizuhbull, try Endless Space? It's basically Civ V in space. The only daunting parts are the tech tree and that's more due to physical size than detail. Galciv II is similar if you want even more hands off combat.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 4, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

rizuhbull posted:

I'm looking for an accessible turn-based strategy game. Something like Civ 5.

Well, Warlock: Master of the Arcane is a Paradox (published) game but it's basically Civ 5 with magic and a focus on combat.

If you just want anything that is turn based strategy, check out Eador: Genesis and Galactic Civilizations II. There are many more, but those two are my favorites.

Edit: Endless Space is good too, but the game has some serious flaws.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 4, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Anyone know of some PC RPGs with lots of options for races? Kinda silly request but I always prefer RPGs that let me pick my race like Orc or Human or Lizardman and for some reason whenever I google it I find a bunch of people talking about PnP RPGs, a couple of MMORPGs, and some people complaining about a lack of race variety :v:.

Also, cannot be a Bethesda or Bioware game as I've already played it, and I'd prefer something made in this decade.

Tagra posted:

This is a stretch since it matches basically none of your explicit criteria, but Borderlands 2 co-op is fantastic. We've put about 100 hours into it so far and there's more DLC on the way.
[edit] Oh, I'm not sure if there's a Mac version...

Yup, Borderlands 2 for Steam is PC and Mac compatible!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm looking for Zelda-style games to play.

I like the puzzle and combat of the Zelda games but I want something new. I've played the God of War games, Darksiders 1 and 2, and all of the Zelda games themselves so is there anything like those I could try?

I have everything except a WiiU, including a pretty good PC.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
3D Dot Game Heroes is basically a giant love letter to that style of game.

They are also a bit old, but have you tried the Dark Cloud games on PS2? They combine random dungeon running with some simple building mechanics and a fairly deep weapon customisation/building system.

Heck, maybe give Recettear a try? It's on Steam and there's a demo. It's a hybrid between shop simulator and dungeon crawler.

Liberatore posted:

Well, Warlock: Master of the Arcane is a Paradox (published) game but it's basically Civ 5 with magic and a focus on combat.

If you just want anything that is turn based strategy, check out Eador: Genesis and Galactic Civilizations II. There are many more, but those two are my favorites.

Edit: Endless Space is good too, but the game has some serious flaws.

Good list here. Also there's Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic on Gog.com (get that version, not the older ones in the series) which is a bit aged but holds up very well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 4, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: quote is not edit

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Daric posted:

I like the puzzle and combat of the Zelda games but I want something new. I've played the God of War games, Darksiders 1 and 2, and all of the Zelda games themselves so is there anything like those I could try?

You've likely already played it but Okami was pretty much the best Zelda game in years when it came out.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I AM BRAWW posted:

Wargame: European Escalation great fast paced RTS with a bonus of all the cold war tank porn you could hope for.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Daric posted:

In 3D, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus. If you haven't played SotC it's like Zelda but a big open world where you ride around on a horse and fight bosses. No smaller enemies, dungeons or NPCs. It's a pretty deep action/adventure/puzzle game despite how simple the premise is.

In 2D, there's 3D Dot Game Heroes, Alundra (I think it's on PSN now). And I don't like it personally, but lot's of other people enjoyed The Binding of Isaac. It's a randomly generated action-roguelike that's heavily influenced by Zelda.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
3d dot game heroes looks cool but Okami is on the PSN and I've never played it so I just bought it. Hopefully it's cool.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Okami is probably the best Zelda game, so I doubt you'll be too disappointed. And Shadow of the Colossus is definitely worth a look as well.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What other Myst-likes have you played? This is for my own benefit really.

The Myst series, Fez, and some of Nifflas' games. :v:

I'm beginning to think it's less "games like them have passed me by" and more "nobody has made any other of that drat style of game for some reason."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Because isolation exploration adventure is something that's hard to design right. In an isolated world, any sort of out-of-band communication like a hint system breaks the illusion too hard, so any confusing puzzle simply sails over the head of the player, and they stop playing.

It's hard to build an emotional connection without an immediate purpose or goal. Myst/Riven just threw you into a world and expected you to figure everything out.

And even Cyan, the originators of this, got it half-right with Myst, and then nailed it with Riven, and then went off the rails with the rest of it, probably to make it more accessible to more players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Exile wasn't that bad, honestly, and parts of Revelations were decent too. (End of Ages was terrible, though.)

Riven's definitely the best of the bunch and I should replay it sometime soon.