Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
No one cares about batteries. We care about awesome AI car poo poo.

(technically a boat motor, but it's still AI as hell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's... crazy...?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

That's... crazy...?

Yeah, who the hell let her climb on the car?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Every time I see these, I wonder how the hell they tune that thing to run with the air going into the cylinders at roughly the temperature of the sun.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every time I see these, I wonder how the hell they tune that thing to run with the air going into the cylinders at roughly the temperature of the sun.
It's OK, PV=nRT, you can just add another blower instead!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think underneath the second supercharger there is a air to water intercooler.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12..

Yeah, it's definitely different then the "Back To The Future conversion" which is pretty much the only look you ever see on those cars besides stock.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I always wonder how the motor mounts like that when turning.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

I don't think those cars spend much time turning at any sort of speed

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kastein posted:

Drag cars usually bolt the engine directly to the frame, or have aluminum solid mounts.

Wobert
Feb 4, 2002

Needs some more Lotus love before the company goes under (all from the LotusTalk.com forums):

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

cursedshitbox posted:

In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12.

This is a friends Ford Festiva he's currently putting together.
Said Festiva has a miata 1.8 BP engine.
Said Festiva also retains the factory power steering and air conditioning.

It looks totally boring and bland until you lift the hood.

His old BP Festiva looked like rear end but it was quite fun to drive.

Since I've never driven one of these, how fast is it? Google gives 1700-1900lbs for the chassis and ~140hp for the engine, so 12.1 - 13.6 lb/hp. That's near the figure of a BMW 335i so it must be one hell of a sleeper.

SwashedBuckles fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

And that is why we were stuck with the piece of poo poo BP and FS-DE combination for so long in actual Mazda cars.

How is the BP a piece of poo poo? I can agree with the FS, but the BP is an awesome motor.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Went to go karting today and found the Porsche Club of America was having a party.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Click for bigger.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cage posted:

Click for bigger.

My erection upon seeing this is mirroring the torque curve.

Ever higher.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

My erection upon seeing this is mirroring the torque curve.

Ever higher.

The torque curve is pretty drat ideal and rather flat. You should see a doctor for your impotence.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Conspicuous consumption.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

Conspicuous consumption.

There's not giving a gently caress, and then there's this. The only way that picture is any more awesome is if those jerry cans are filled with used oil they are planning to dump in a lake.

e- the Iwo flag is a nice touch

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

angryhampster posted:

Conspicuous consumption.

The greatest irony being it still gets better mileage than the H2 or H3.

The 6.5 is rated for 14MPG but the H2 is rated for 10.4 MPG on average.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's not like mileage matters much to you if you drive one of those enormous motorhomes around anyway. Those things are like an Iraqi oil fire.

Plus they occasionally destroy the gas station when they pull in to get something. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SwashedBuckles posted:

Since I've never driven one of these, how fast is it? Google gives 1700-1900lbs for the chassis and ~140hp for the engine, so 12.1 - 13.6 lb/hp. That's near the figure of a BMW 335i so it must be one hell of a sleeper.

Its pretty drat quick for what it is. on the little 12" tires it'll burn them through third gear. His other one was basically just a bare metal shell. I could pick the back end up and move it around like an old vw beetle.

The diesel pushers are good for 6-8mpg usually. Just like the big rear end eagle/prevost/GM/MCI coaches. They're thirsty.

MCI built the MCI-8 (iirc) with a 12v71 in the back. Fuel economy? HAHA.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's not like mileage matters much to you if you drive one of those enormous motorhomes around anyway. Those things are like an Iraqi oil fire.

Plus they occasionally destroy the gas station when they pull in to get something. :v:

They are basically medium duty trucks with a bunch of plastic poo poo strapped to the frame. They will get better mileage than some SUVs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I swapped my mustang lights recently, and when I pulled out the housings, I decided to replace the bulbs too.

Here's why:

The bulb was the original bulb, now twelve and half years old.

I was tempted to post it in Horrible Mechanical Failures, because it's the opposite of one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
" AI car poo poo"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I need this in my life.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Krakkles posted:

So I swapped my mustang lights recently, and when I pulled out the housings, I decided to replace the bulbs too.

Here's why:

I was tempted to post it in Horrible Mechanical Failures, because it's the opposite of one.

Typical behavior for a bottom-shelf cheap halogen bulb. They're not the brightest, but they last pretty much forever. Had one on my car a few weeks ago decide that after I slammed on my brakes for an idiot pulling out in front of me it was time to crap out; I've cautiously concluded that was a coincidence. Probably the stock bulb from when the car was new in 1999 too.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

VikingSkull posted:

I need this in my life.

One exists and your in the auction world, so thats already a better chance than most.
http://automotivemileposts.com/mark31970dualcowlphaetonshowcar.html

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cars from the 70's are so goddamn boring, they don't have the slightest bit of styl:stare: Ok so clearly this car isn't from the 70's, way too classy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

If I ever bought a Pagani I would also never take the plastic wrap off and just drive it like that.

I never realized this was a thing but the US Air Force operates Pontiac G8 GTs as "chase cars" to assist with U2s taking off.

They are being replaced with Camaros.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-u2-chase-cars-20121119,0,2750231.story

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

What am I missing? Other than lens damage or a bad seal that allows moisture in the housing this entirely within expected service life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Preoptopus posted:

" AI car poo poo"

As much as I love those magnificently ridiculous muscle cars with more dedicated blowers than a Bangkok brothel, you just can't go past the understated elegance of a classic coupe.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I need to know more about this car. Google Images reverse search shows me no love.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Motronic posted:

What am I missing? Other than lens damage or a bad seal that allows moisture in the housing this entirely within expected service life.
Really?

I guess with the number of bulbs I've had to replace, I've come to expect maybe a 2-3 year life. I dunno, maybe it's no big deal.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In the near 10 years I've owned cars (all used) I think I've replaced one headlight bulb and one indicator bulb.

To contribute, here's a clean E39:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

If I ever bought a Pagani I would also never take the plastic wrap off and just drive it like that.

I never realized this was a thing but the US Air Force operates Pontiac G8 GTs as "chase cars" to assist with U2s taking off.

They are being replaced with Camaros.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-u2-chase-cars-20121119,0,2750231.story

The government has a thing for muscle cars. The even inadvertently killed the first wave of muscle cars with one!

quote:

Imagine you’re aboard a commercial jet as it waits in the queue for takeoff. You look out the window and see a car pull up behind a passenger jet that’s already on the runway. Not just any car, but a rare 1970 Plymouth Superbird.

The Superbird was a homologation special, built in limited numbers to qualify it as a “production” car with the sole purpose being to dominate NASCAR. It had an aerodynamic, wedge-shaped nose that allowed it to hit 200 mph around tracks like Daytona and Talladega. A ridiculously tall wing provided downforce and stability and kept the car from going airborne, which is exactly what the jet in front of it is about to do.

The pilot pushes the throttles forward, sending 14,000 pounds of thrust rearward from each Pratt & Whitney JT8D turbofan engine. The driver of the Superbird grits his teeth, white knuckles clenching the wheel while the car shakes violently, and mashes the throttle pedal to the floor as the jet surges forward. The Plymouth gives chase, hanging close all the way to 100 mph. After about 20 seconds, the plane pulls away. Once it reaches 150 mph, the big 737 lifts off into the sky. The Superbird brakes, then turns around to do it all again.

Link

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012

Parked like a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Squeeze posted:

Parked like a boss.

I drove by a Gallardo a couple of days ago that was so scared of the curb when parking that he was covering about a third of the traffic lane instead... Surely that has a higher likelyhood of someone clipping you and doing more damage than the curb ever could. :psyduck:

I know it's a wide car but the parking spot was more than large enough for it.