Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I never had trouble with Chris and purees, I would mix in plenty of finger food with the main meal - crackers, grapes, etc.

But yeah, make your own baby food. Boil veggies and fruits in a saucepan, throw them in a food processor, strain them with a pasta strainer and freeze them in ice cube trays. You don't need to buy the fancy gadgets.

I picked up a bargain book at Barnes&Noble and basically made recipes from that for the first year. The kiddo ate better than we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Helanna posted:

Totally worth doing the Baby-Led Weaning. We decided to do it, and don't regret it for a moment; she adores her food and happily tucks into whatever I serve for her. She's not yet 7 months old, and this gives an idea of how much she's loving feeding herself.

Literally we just give her whatever we are having, while avoiding giving her too much salt or sugar. So much easier (and cheaper!) than messing around with purees, and she's loving food so far; no battles trying to shovel a spoon into her!

Huh. I had only briefly looked at the baby-led weaning stuff a while back, and I had gotten the impression that it meant that you couldn't introduce foods at all until around 1 year, and that anything that wasn't liquid or puree was a choking hazard up until then. I guess I have to look into this some more, because I'd rather do it this way.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Basically just be safe and do what works for you, keeping an emphasis on safety. We did a mixture of traditional and BLW in that we do some spoon-foods and some eating off of our plates depending on the situation and the foods. I think many people mix it up a bit.

Sometimes you'll notice that things that WERE safe stop being as safe--early on, I could let him gum on raw apple because he didn't have the jaw strength to gum off a piece, but a month later I had to stop that because he could break off large chunks, but couldn't crush them or move them around well. That reminds me that I should try them again this weekend now that he's older!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

Basically just be safe and do what works for you, keeping an emphasis on safety. We did a mixture of traditional and BLW in that we do some spoon-foods and some eating off of our plates depending on the situation and the foods. I think many people mix it up a bit.

Sometimes you'll notice that things that WERE safe stop being as safe--early on, I could let him gum on raw apple because he didn't have the jaw strength to gum off a piece, but a month later I had to stop that because he could break off large chunks, but couldn't crush them or move them around well. That reminds me that I should try them again this weekend now that he's older!

This is where I'm confused, I have no idea what's big or small enough to be safe. I mean, I guess I want him to be able to get some of it off, otherwise he's not actually eating any of it. Should I only give him stuff that turns to mush, like overcooked carrot or avocado?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Huh. I had only briefly looked at the baby-led weaning stuff a while back, and I had gotten the impression that it meant that you couldn't introduce foods at all until around 1 year, and that anything that wasn't liquid or puree was a choking hazard up until then. I guess I have to look into this some more, because I'd rather do it this way.

Mnemosyne posted:

This is where I'm confused, I have no idea what's big or small enough to be safe. I mean, I guess I want him to be able to get some of it off, otherwise he's not actually eating any of it. Should I only give him stuff that turns to mush, like overcooked carrot or avocado?

We give her almost everything we eat, there's very little that I'm avoiding currently. I don't give whole grapes (being round and easy to suck to the back of throat by accident, it can be a choking hazard. Similarly, apple she tends to gag on a bit. You need to learn the difference between gagging and choking; when doing BLW they do a fair big of gagging in the early days because they have such a strong gag reflex, but it's not inherently a problem. Isobel just gagged a bit and carried right on eating!

Some of the food she's enjoyed so far are toast, pears, any vegetable (steamed/roasted/boiled/whatever, softened a bit to allow chomping with gums, but not so mushy that baby can't grip them well), chicken, ham, cucumber, mushroom (looooooooooves raw mushrooms), mango, pancakes, weetabix, shepherds pie, bananas, cheese (particularly spreadable or goats cheese on toast). Loads of other things that we've eaten she's had as well. But her all time favourite food... STEAK. My baby, the 7 month old fillet steak eater. Though as she lacks teeth she mostly just sucks all the juice out of it gleefully.

I had these books recommended to me and bought both, though honestly the recipe book is the better of the two; it explains BLW and gives lots of examples of foods to try and simple recipes that are baby-friendly (low salt/ no sugar etc):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-Weaning-Helping-Your-Baby/dp/0091923808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357338548&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Baby-led-Weaning-Cookbook-delicious/dp/0091935288/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357338548&sr=8-2

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I started with pieces so big he couldn't possibly get it all in his mouth at once. Easy to hold and manipulate and if he did break off a chunk he got practice moving food around in his mouth. Chris was gnawing on chunks of mango at six months. Luckily our local Hannafords sells pre-sliced fruit so it was pretty easy to just grab a pack and let him gum away while I ate lunch.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Mnemo, you should ask your pediatrician's office if they have any handouts on feeding babies. At the 6-month visit, our office gives out a list of foods they recommend waiting on (basically allergens and honey), suggestions on how to introduce foods, and a list of choking hazards to avoid and how long. Your ped should be able to answer your questions.

I don't remember how old your baby is, so I can't really say that one food or another is perfect for it. Just try some bits of things. I think toast cut into sticks are an easy food to try because they're easy to hold and suck on.

The experience of holding food, smelling, tasting, and transferring from hand to mouth is just as important as getting food into the body.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

Mnemo, you should ask your pediatrician's office if they have any handouts on feeding babies. At the 6-month visit, our office gives out a list of foods they recommend waiting on (basically allergens and honey), suggestions on how to introduce foods, and a list of choking hazards to avoid and how long. Your ped should be able to answer your questions.

I don't remember how old your baby is, so I can't really say that one food or another is perfect for it. Just try some bits of things. I think toast cut into sticks are an easy food to try because they're easy to hold and suck on.

The experience of holding food, smelling, tasting, and transferring from hand to mouth is just as important as getting food into the body.

We just had our 6 month visit yesterday, so we won't be back (barring illness) for 3 months I think? But we talked about food, and she recommends purees and baby cereals.

The other problem with this is that my pediatrician and I already don't see eye to eye in the area of foods. I'm exclusively breastfeeding, and she told me that I HAD to start him on solids at 4 months or he would be iron deficient. This goes against the advice of basically every major medical organization (WHO, UNICEF, AAP, etc), so I ignored it and only started a little bit of fruit and veggie purees at 6 months. Currently he has only tried 3 purees, and he's having them once a day, about 4 times a week. She wants me to immediately step it up to meat purees twice a day, every day starting right now because OH NOES IRON.

I don't really mind that I disagree with her about foods, because I figured that that was an area that I could just follow the standards of the WHO & AAP and be fine, but they don't cover baby-led weaning.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Did she actually test the baby? If you're concerned about iron, you could just give some polyvisol drops, I guess. My ped has K on it for the vitamin D too, because we're not really outside that much in this freezing weather.

I'd be uncomfortable staying with a pediatrician who doesn't follow the recommendations of the AAP and whom I don't trust. They're really pushing roughly 6 months as a good time to start.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

Did she actually test the baby? If you're concerned about iron, you could just give some polyvisol drops, I guess. My ped has K on it for the vitamin D too, because we're not really outside that much in this freezing weather.

I'd be uncomfortable staying with a pediatrician who doesn't follow the recommendations of the AAP and whom I don't trust. They're really pushing roughly 6 months as a good time to start.

No, she didn't test him. I was considering asking her to, but she ordered an early lead test for him because we live in an old house which does have lead paint, and the hospital lab was unable to get blood out of him and pretty much just tortured him until I told them to stop and skip the test. Now I see why they don't generally order blood tests for babies, because that was horrible, and we didn't get any blood from it anyway.

It's not that I don't trust her in general, which is why I didn't switch. She has a specialization in kids with mental problems, and consults at the main mental hospital in the area. The genetic counselors referred me to her when I was pregnant, because my family has an extensive history of mental illness, and I figured I'm likely to need that. I trust that she's good at all the other stuff, so I figured that as long as I felt confident ignoring her advice and instead following my own instincts when it came to food, it didn't matter if we disagreed on that one area. And I really didn't need advice about food, because I had it all planned out, and I feel fine about my understanding of his nutritional needs. But now that I'm rethinking the baby-led weaning, my only questions are really in regards to what presents a choking hazard and what doesn't. Maybe my baby has jaws of doom or something, but I know how hard he bites, and he could easily gum off a big piece of avocado, banana or pear.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
That's why babies have pretty serious gag reflexes - so if something too big gets back there, they just push it back out. You just have to watch closely and see what they can handle and change it up if need be. If you don't feel confident in doing it, then stick with purees, but I found it infinitely easier to just put some food on the kid's tray and let him go to town while we ate than to sit and spoon feed every meal. I did spoon feed things that you'd need a spoon for anyway, like applesauce or yogurt or soups, but fruits and veggies and toast were great for letting him figure out how to pick stuff up and chew and all that jazz on his own. Baby mummums are pretty great when they're first starting out. Easy to grasp and dissolves pretty quickly in their mouths.

Also, I wouldn't stay with that doctor if they can't manage to provide accurate info that is pretty widely accepted at this point. It's not like you need a mental health expert for your infant. Maybe you will in the future and that's all well and good, but I wouldn't stay with a ped who didn't understand basic poo poo about infants.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm with Chickalicious. One of the nice things about a great ped is that they both reassure you about things you're doing right and give you a heads-up over things you might not know are dangerous. Mine, for example, is a mom who also successfully breastfed so she was able to give really good advice on nursing. She also checks every appointment to see how we're doing with the baby and how we're feeling about parenting, which made me feel like if I had started to get depressed or show signs of ppd, she was right there, ready to offer support and resources.

It's one thing for a pediatrician to say, "Well, the Academy recommends 6 months minimum as the earliest to start solid foods, like I wrote on this guidesheet I gave you. Personally, I feel that 6 months to the day is just an estimate because you want to look for these x signs of readiness that appear roughly around this time and sometimes a bit later." Mine said that, it made sense to me, and I felt comfortable that it aligned with the evidence that's being accepted all around the country.

I know that obviously your pediatrician's recommendation to you isn't being followed and wouldn't seriously harm your child, but I would still be concerned that someone who can't keep up with the guidelines on the most simple and basic things might not keep up with the latest research on more important things. If her specialty is mental illness, she may not be really focusing on the needs of infants, and right now, you need information about infants.

And as a side note, that's not a normal blood test D: Usually they're really unpleasant because of the squeezing the heel, but not torture, and you do get some blood out! It's good that she thought to test for it, because lead really affects the likelihood of mental problems presenting themselves! I hope you get to go back soon and try again.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Speaking of vitamin D, my pediatrician hasn't said anything about vitamin D drops even though baby is primarily breast fed (an ounce of formula here and there throughout the week). But then again, they aren't real up on breastfeeding and tried to make me go primarily formula at first. Are the D drops necessary? Baby is 7 weeks.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

frenchnewwave posted:

Speaking of vitamin D, my pediatrician hasn't said anything about vitamin D drops even though baby is primarily breast fed (an ounce of formula here and there throughout the week). But then again, they aren't real up on breastfeeding and tried to make me go primarily formula at first. Are the D drops necessary? Baby is 7 weeks.

I think recommendations vary from place to place. I'm in Norway, and they definitely recommend it here (for everyone, not just babies) because there just isn't enough sunlight most of the year).

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I live in the US South and my doctor told me it wasn't necessary.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

I think recommendations vary from place to place. I'm in Norway, and they definitely recommend it here (for everyone, not just babies) because there just isn't enough sunlight most of the year).

I'm in Scotland and while I've not heard of the drops this pregnancy whe midwives were very adamant about needing to take a vitamin D supplement (although with my last pregnancy 2 years ago it wasn't mentioned so I assume it's based on new research). My sister in law is a couple of hundred miles south in England and she hasn't been told to take it which I'm guessing is down to the difference in sunlight.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

With BLW important to remember that gagging = fine and natural, that's just their reflexes and it will lessen over time. Isobel still gags occasionally on some foods (omelette last night for example) but I just watch her closely and make sure that she's okay, and she continues eating. Choking is the bad one, and looks distinctly different - we've only really had one incident of her looking like she was choking, and a firm slap on the back sorted her out. Youtube can help if you want to see the difference!

With regard to Vitamin D, it's recommended for all babies for the first year to have it here (Ireland) because we don't see much sunshine. To be honest, it really ought to be recommended for everyone here, and I intend to keep giving it to my daughter as she grows up. The one we're giving her at the moment is orange flavour, and we call them "sunshine drops" and she gets them just after her bath and before bed - she gets all excited, flapping her arms and opening her mouth to receive them when we start saying "sunshine drops". It's pretty cute, and she obviously doesn't mind the taste.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

The one we're giving her at the moment is orange flavour, and we call them "sunshine drops" and she gets them just after her bath and before bed - she gets all excited, flapping her arms and opening her mouth to receive them when we start saying "sunshine drops". It's pretty cute, and she obviously doesn't mind the taste.

Haha kids are weird. I give my son a big spoonful of cod liver oil every day and he says thank you and asks for more. It tastes gross.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Helanna posted:

With regard to Vitamin D, it's recommended for all babies for the first year to have it here (Ireland) because we don't see much sunshine. To be honest, it really ought to be recommended for everyone here, and I intend to keep giving it to my daughter as she grows up. The one we're giving her at the moment is orange flavour, and we call them "sunshine drops" and she gets them just after her bath and before bed - she gets all excited, flapping her arms and opening her mouth to receive them when we start saying "sunshine drops". It's pretty cute, and she obviously doesn't mind the taste.

:3:

We live in Michigan and our pediatrician also recommended vitamin D for similar reasons. However, they said that supplementing my wife to around 4-5,000 mg/day would work just as well, and D is pretty cheap at the store.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Helanna posted:

I keep meaning to ask my GP if I can take a vitamin D supplement while I'm pregnant (because the bottle says to ask a doctor if you're pregnant or breastfeeding and I'm paranoid) but I always forget to once I get there. This is my first winter in Ireland and I feel like I haven't seen the sun since September.
Where would you get these "sunshine drops" and when do you start giving them to the baby?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Dandy Shrew posted:

I keep meaning to ask my GP if I can take a vitamin D supplement while I'm pregnant (because the bottle says to ask a doctor if you're pregnant or breastfeeding and I'm paranoid) but I always forget to once I get there. This is my first winter in Ireland and I feel like I haven't seen the sun since September.

One of my good friends was part of the research team that put out this study on Vitamin D & pregnancy: http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2009/12/hollis.html

In short, yes, taking extra vitamin D while pregnant & breastfeeding is very beneficial to both you and your baby.

Clip My Wings
Dec 15, 2004
Yes, that will do. Watch the spiral Bart. Let it entrance with it's twirliness, twirliness....
I can finally post in this thread!

I just took a second pregnancy test as the first one, taken about 6 days ago was negative (it was only a day after a missed period last week), so it looks like I'm at 5 weeks currently. I was pregnant last year but needed a d&c at around 9 weeks as there was no heartbeat. So, I'm going to be an anxious person with lots of questions for you guys and I'm apologizing in advance. Also, I just turned 38 and this is my/our first child, so there's that anxiety too.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

rectal cushion posted:

Chris was born in New England at the start of winter and they basically told me to give him the A,C,D drops from the get-go.

I also take extra vitamin D.

But then again, we're both pasty white northerners so...

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Mnemosyne posted:

No, she didn't test him. I was considering asking her to, but she ordered an early lead test for him because we live in an old house which does have lead paint, and the hospital lab was unable to get blood out of him and pretty much just tortured him until I told them to stop and skip the test. Now I see why they don't generally order blood tests for babies, because that was horrible, and we didn't get any blood from it anyway.

Just as an aside, I was in getting some blood drawn, and asked the tech about a blood test that had been ordered for my son (23 months.) Technically, it should be ok at any lab, but he said not to bother and go straight to the lab at the Children's hospital. They're set up for kids and babies, they have extra staff to help, all the special needles, etc. He said it would just be torture for everyone to try and do a young child/baby blood draw at a regular lab. I did have some blood taken from him when he was a baby, and it was done at the Children's hospital anyway, and now that I think of it, it's set up completely differently than the regular bloodlab, so what he says makes sense. Chances are your ped hospital has an onsite lab as well.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Clip My Wings posted:

I can finally post in this thread!

I just took a second pregnancy test as the first one, taken about 6 days ago was negative (it was only a day after a missed period last week), so it looks like I'm at 5 weeks currently. I was pregnant last year but needed a d&c at around 9 weeks as there was no heartbeat. So, I'm going to be an anxious person with lots of questions for you guys and I'm apologizing in advance. Also, I just turned 38 and this is my/our first child, so there's that anxiety too.

Congrats! I was super paranoid during my pregnancy and had a zillion questions and worries. (Now I get to be a paranoid mom!) Ask away!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
If you can take whatever it is you want to give baby and mash it up in your mouth without using your teeth it's probably ok to introduce. Their gums are incredibly strong (stick your finger back there and feel how hard they bite down), so as long as it's something that will dissolved into nothingness they are probably fine, because if anything they will just hold it in the side of their cheek till it dissolves (ie cherrios).

I have no idea if Amazon still does the free Amazon Prime membership for moms, but if they don't it's still a nice thing to have as a new parent. I found many times it was much easier to just order something and pay the $3.99 for next day shipping then the thought of putting a 2 year old and a new born into a car and driving all the way wherever it was I had to go just for 1 item.

Also rechargeable batteries. Seriously. You might not need them now, but if you just buy a few or there by the time the kid is 2 you will have a good supply. Don't say you wont have toys that make noise. You will. Even our goon loved seahorse takes batteries (with 2 (soon to be 3) sea horses in this house, plus I always try to have 3 charged and ready to go so that's 9 batteries already).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

And as a side note, that's not a normal blood test D: Usually they're really unpleasant because of the squeezing the heel, but not torture, and you do get some blood out! It's good that she thought to test for it, because lead really affects the likelihood of mental problems presenting themselves! I hope you get to go back soon and try again.

Yeah, once I went home and googled it, I saw that they were supposed to draw from his heel. They tried to do it like he was an adult, tying the rubber band around his upper arm and trying to draw from his arm. Of course they couldn't find his tiny little vein, so they kept the needle in his arm, and continued digging around under his skin with it, trying to chase the vein. Eventually my husband got so upset about what was going on that he cried, at which point I told them to stop, and we left.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Mnemosyne posted:

Yeah, once I went home and googled it, I saw that they were supposed to draw from his heel. They tried to do it like he was an adult, tying the rubber band around his upper arm and trying to draw from his arm. Of course they couldn't find his tiny little vein, so they kept the needle in his arm, and continued digging around under his skin with it, trying to chase the vein. Eventually my husband got so upset about what was going on that he cried, at which point I told them to stop, and we left.

Jesus christ I don't even have a kid yet and this makes me want to raise hellfire upon them.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/04/the-breast-pump-industry-is-booming-thanks-to-obamacare/

This is pretty cool actually - because of the changes to insurance rules in the States, there's a huge upsurge in breast pump sales.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Mnemosyne posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't imagine that. I'd be crying too. Poor bub :(

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Mnemosyne posted:

Must be an age thing, Chris had the lead test at 9 months and they took it from his arm - failed the first time (she tried for about twenty seconds before we called it quits) and they got it the second time (we came back a few days later).

They take a fair bit of blood so I don't think the heel quite cuts it.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Lyz posted:

Must be an age thing, Chris had the lead test at 9 months and they took it from his arm - failed the first time (she tried for about twenty seconds before we called it quits) and they got it the second time (we came back a few days later).

They take a fair bit of blood so I don't think the heel quite cuts it.

Funny, I live in the same area as Mnemosyne and our ped does lead tests at 9mo. which like Lyz said, was a regular in-the-arm blood draw. Luckily our ped's office has a really incredible pediatric phlebotomist and she did a fantastic job.

Mnemosyne, we did BLW with our little guy (turning a year next week!) if you ever want to get together and chat, feel free to PM me.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Dandy Shrew posted:

Where would you get these "sunshine drops" and when do you start giving them to the baby?

I didn't bother taking one when pregnant, I just took a general prenatal vitamin and a few other things (iron, calcium, raspberry leaf). The prenatal probably had Vit D in it!

Irish weather sucks if you like the sun :(

You can get baby Vitamin D drops in most pharmacies here; the one I get is from Boots and is the "Sona" D3. You can get it online too: http://www.sona.ie/infant-d3.html

I got it in Boots though because its €7.99 in there, and they often have their 3 for 2 on vitamins so works out at €15.99 for 12 months supply. We started giving right from birth, as soon as we were home from the hospital. She didn't appreciate it as a newborn but after a while she got used to it being part of her evening routine and now actively enjoys it.

Clip My Wings
Dec 15, 2004
Yes, that will do. Watch the spiral Bart. Let it entrance with it's twirliness, twirliness....
Did anyone else get terribly sick early on in their pregnancy? I just tested on Saturday & found out I'm pregnant (right around 5 weeks). I've been sick since Thursday with a really bad cold and occasional low grade fever. I'm thinking I should head to the doctor tomorrow before work just to make sure that I'm ok. I do feel like I'm improving, but I'm just really anxious about being sick now.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Clip My Wings posted:

Did anyone else get terribly sick early on in their pregnancy? I just tested on Saturday & found out I'm pregnant (right around 5 weeks). I've been sick since Thursday with a really bad cold and occasional low grade fever. I'm thinking I should head to the doctor tomorrow before work just to make sure that I'm ok. I do feel like I'm improving, but I'm just really anxious about being sick now.

This was very common with me and my friends during their pregnancies. It's the sinus pressure from all the extra fluids in your face and the fact that your immune system is directed to protect the baby now, not necessarily you. Just keep tabs on that fever and stay hydrated.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So my 10.5 week old had 2 little "strings" of blood in his poopy diaper on monday. A call to the pediatrician's office told my wife to cut out dairy, come in if it happens again. (breastfeeding only) She cut it way down but not completely out due to having company in town. Everything about his diapers was normal.

She started drinking milk again normally yesterday. Just changed the 3rd poopy diaper of the afternoon/evening and this time there was a tiny "string" of blood.

We'll call the pediatrician in the morning and make an appointment to go see him. Things I'm reading online about it say to cut out soy and nuts also. Anyone else had to deal with this? She's going to have to rework her whole diet if she can't have dairy or nuts.

The other thing is his poop is consistently greenish. It sometimes hits a mustard color but predominantly green. Could that be a reaction to the dairy also?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Yes, that sounds like a dairy intolerance. It's usually a sensitivity to the milk protein, not the lactose. She most likely needs to stop eating all dairy including hidden dairy ingredients (http://refluxrebels.com/MSPI/MSPI_Hidden_Ingredients.html). It may take a few weeks to fully get it out of her system and another couple weeks to get it out of the baby's, but most people see improvements pretty quickly. This intolerance often corelates with a soy intolerance as well, but I'd start with the dairy and if that works, then great, all solved, but if not, she can cut soy too. This probably isn't a forever thing. My friend had to cut dairy for her son and by the time he was nine months, she added some back in to her diet and it was fine. He's nearly 3 now and eats yogurt and cheese and milk with no problems.

There's some reading here for you: http://www.kellymom.com/health/allergies/food-sensitivity#protein and some more info at the site I linked above. This website has some recipes that will work for the diet: http://www.mspimama.com/p/recipe-index.html?m=1

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are there any single parents in this group? How do you do it? I'm not a single parent, but with my wife's work schedule right now, I might as well be. I mean, she's gone before the baby (9 months) gets up, and comes home after she's asleep. I work from home, and so far have been working upwards of full time and doing full time child care and I just...I can't anymore. I can't keep doing it. She's not crawling yet, but wants to be and hates being stuck anywhere, so she spends what feels like the majority of her waking time complaining about everything. I know I should take her to a daycare, but I feel like that's giving up, and I don't want to trust a stranger with my defenseless child, and that poo poo is expensive besides, even if I can afford it just fine. I know those are dumb reasons, but they bother me deeply. I'm losing my sanity here and I feel like I'm on the verge of tears every night when I finally put her to bed. The house is an absolute disaster because by the time the baby goes to bed, I just want to stop existing until I go to sleep, and I know that when I do go to sleep, it's just leading into the next morning when the baby will wake up crying because that is how she wakes up EVERY morning of late. I love my little girl to pieces but in my mind I've put a hole in just about every wall and smashed every dish in the house. I verbally snapped at her today when I couldn't even take the time to clean myself with a quick shower and immediately felt like poo poo for doing it, even if she didn't seem phased by it. I don't want to raise her that way, in that sort of attitude and stress, I'm normally a very calm person, and so I feel like I'm dropping the ball every time I get frustrated with her, which is more and more. Even though I know what I should do, I just can't bring myself to actually do it.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 7, 2013

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

What about doing part time day care? You could do a couple days a week and see how it goes. Working from home with an infant is madness and will only get nuttier as she gets more verbal and mobile. Or maybe hire a kid to come hang out at your house with her while you work for a few days a week. I bet a college student with some breaks in their schedule would jump on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Being a caregiver is a full time job. It is completely unconscienable to expect you to be a full time caregiver and work a full time job just because you happen to work out of the home. You cannot keep trying to do this because, as I think you know already, nobody can do a good job of either in the attempt.

Hire a nanny, enroll her in daycare, or quit your job.

Doing one of these things will make your life better. It's up to you to choose the best one for your family.