Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Adding to the core reports for EU3+, Konkan and Ahmadnagar have cores for Ahmadnagar, though they're not connected as provinces, and Raichur Doab still has a core for Deccan, though I don't know whether that's intentional or not. Namur also still has a core for Liege, and Kursk has a core for Kiev.

In a minor addition, Armagnac and Gascony have really similar colours, so maybe that should be changed too.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

This is high on my agenda for "things I am going to ask to be allowed to work on".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It's what Johan does in MP :(

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I recently bought Divine Wind and my Heir to the Throne savefile loads up but crashes almost immediately. Are the save files between expansions not compatible?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

To be fair, a friend of mine in a MP game once managed to misclick a peace agreement and lost a war he was winning, so you can't argue it isn't a viable strategy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Zettace posted:

I recently bought Divine Wind and my Heir to the Throne savefile loads up but crashes almost immediately. Are the save files between expansions not compatible?

No.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
AI Castille has done pretty well for itself

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Sweet lord that is coherent. I've actually colonized worse than that a few times.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kersch posted:

That's a more historically accurate colonial map than I've ever seen.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is it, like, impossible to get anywhere as an "Uncivilized" (How ... Eurocentric) nation in Victoria II? I decided to play as Vietnam and it's like 1856 and I've only managed to get a single reform. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I hate it when it's obvious the EUIII AI has hit some code thing that makes it refuse to make peace under any circumstances. Like you hold one French core and they attack, and you make a peace offer that gives them the core, a dozen other provinces, releases all your vassals, makes every nation internal to you independent, and hands them 10,000 ducats, worth hundreds and hundreds of war score and they still refuse. Then you beat the poo poo out of their army and they're begging for white peace six months later. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, AI.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kersch posted:

Yes, but only slightly better than real-life Castille.

I was hoping for a moment that Great Britain was in control of the Falklands, but unfortunately it's probably Aragon.

Fintilgin posted:

I hate it when it's obvious the EUIII AI has hit some code thing that makes it refuse to make peace under any circumstances. Like you hold one French core and they attack, and you make a peace offer that gives them the core, a dozen other provinces, releases all your vassals, makes every nation internal to you independent, and hands them 10,000 ducats, worth hundreds and hundreds of war score and they still refuse. Then you beat the poo poo out of their army and they're begging for white peace six months later. Way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, AI.

I think the AI always refuses peace in the first few months (years?) of war, unless you're already crushing them. At least the AI got better at amphibious invasions and having an actual navy when the game was upgraded to Divine Wind, I remember wars often dragging on forever in HTTT.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 5, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

On the other hand the CK2 AI appears to have a much better idea of whether a war is winnable or not.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Fintilgin posted:

Stuff like this is why I pretty much stopped playing EU3 altogether. It just got too annoying to deal with.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Was doing a game as The Papal State when I had a closer look at the "Declare the Kingdom of God" decision, is it me or is it kinda useless?
I mean I do own all of Italy (and some surrounding provinces for that matter), not everything is cored of course but most of it is. Now if I'd actually use that decision, I'd get cores on 6 or 7 provinces a couple of decades before they core anyway. But I wont have the hilarious excommunication wars anymore, just seems like a terrible terrible thing.

What am I missing here?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I think there are a lot of countries where the only point is really for roleplaying purposes, or if there are special missions for the new country that are really good. The only country I can think of that gives your really overwhelming bonuses for forming it is Germany. +1 base tax in *every* german county.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand the CK2 AI appears to have a much better idea of whether a war is winnable or not.

I've found that AI will sometimes refuse to surrender until 100%, but other times will surrender as soon as 20%. The rule seems to be that they're way more likely to give up vassal-held territory than their own demense, and seem to give up more easily if they have other wars going on.

Other topic: I just bought EUIII Chronicles at the tail end of the steam sale, so I'm looking to get into that. I like to play as my ancestors, but that might be difficult given that they're Scotland (doomed), Wales (not even a country probably), and Milan. Is Milan viable for a first-time player, having only played CKII before this?

Also, is there a set method to convert CKII saves to EUII, or is it more of a by-hand process? I'd like to see how my Dublin->Brittania game fares in the age of exploration, but it might not be worth a lot of effort.

Lastly, just to check: OPM = One-Province Monarch, right?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Tahirovic posted:

Was doing a game as The Papal State when I had a closer look at the "Declare the Kingdom of God" decision, is it me or is it kinda useless?
I mean I do own all of Italy (and some surrounding provinces for that matter), not everything is cored of course but most of it is. Now if I'd actually use that decision, I'd get cores on 6 or 7 provinces a couple of decades before they core anyway. But I wont have the hilarious excommunication wars anymore, just seems like a terrible terrible thing.

What am I missing here?

It's a good decision when crusades and excommunication are disabled, and the Papacy is rendered largely useless (mid 1600s or so?). Though I think excommunication doesn't go away in EU3+ because I remember at the end of Wiz's LP someone was still excommunicated. If that's the case, it's useless, never do it. Personally I wish the decision was a union decision that actually made you the Kingdom of God, that alone would be worth it for me, but what are ya going to do :v:.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

DrSunshine posted:

Is it, like, impossible to get anywhere as an "Uncivilized" (How ... Eurocentric) nation in Victoria II? I decided to play as Vietnam and it's like 1856 and I've only managed to get a single reform. :negative:

Can't say the OP didn't warn you. By 1910 you should be civilized and ready to go... and also sphered and/or vassalized; I hope you didn't plan on doing things as a small civilized power in Asia! :v:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Nolanar posted:

One-province minor, which makes a difference since a lot of them are theocracies or republics in the HRE.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

insider posted:

Stuff like this is why I pretty much stopped playing EU3 altogether. It just got too annoying to deal with.

Thing that I love about CK2 that EU3 is lacking: when you're offering some kind of diplomacy to an AI character/nation, if they're going to refuse your request, hovering over the "No" or "Yes" reaction will tell you what factors are influencing the decision. Instead, in EU3 (and V2 for that matter), every time I want to make an alliance, you just get a really loving annoying "IMPOSSIBLE" with no explanation of why.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Nolanar posted:

Other topic: I just bought EUIII Chronicles at the tail end of the steam sale, so I'm looking to get into that. I like to play as my ancestors, but that might be difficult given that they're Scotland (doomed), Wales (not even a country probably), and Milan. Is Milan viable for a first-time player, having only played CKII before this?

Also, is there a set method to convert CKII saves to EUII, or is it more of a by-hand process? I'd like to see how my Dublin->Brittania game fares in the age of exploration, but it might not be worth a lot of effort.

It might seem like scotland is doomed but under the right circumstances scotland can take over and ireland too if they're player controlled. England can fall apart from too much war exhaustion and split up into northumberland, wales, and some other smaller countries.

If you go as milan you'll probably have to deal with france or austria. If you can ally with france and keep good relations with them you'll probably be alright.

If you wanted someone easy just to learn the game go with england, castille or france. You can't really mess up any of those and can learn at your own pace.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

DrSunshine posted:

Cheat to become civilized. If you want it to be really fair, do it for your neighbors too. Nobody will judge you.

But yeah, being an uncivilized nation sucks massively, unless you're one of the countries that gets nice boosts to that poo poo like grorious Nippon, in which case it's way easier.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

piratepilates posted:

That's probably what the AI is trying to do in CK2 when they agree to your terms for a betrothal and then spam you with marriage offers that are the opposite of your terms.

And then you break the betrothal and matrilineally marry them anyway so what was the point of that you jerk :mad:

You don't need to break the betrothal; just *don't* answer their request (yes *or* no), click the 'betrothals ready to marry' notification at the top of the screen, and send them the correct type of marriage request. That way, you avoid hurting anyone's feelings!

Fister Roboto posted:

You know what the best part about war in EU3 is? It's being constantly spammed with peace deals from lovely landlocked OPMs, demanding that I give them all my money and release all my vassals and cancel all my alliances. I sure hope war and peace are a lot different in EU4!

From a multiplayer game a year or two ago. (I was trying to create Muslim South America, but mostly just succeeded in going bankrupt.) We agreed to load the last autosave.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Drone posted:

Thing that I love about CK2 that EU3 is lacking: when you're offering some kind of diplomacy to an AI character/nation, if they're going to refuse your request, hovering over the "No" or "Yes" reaction will tell you what factors are influencing the decision. Instead, in EU3 (and V2 for that matter), every time I want to make an alliance, you just get a really loving annoying "IMPOSSIBLE" with no explanation of why.

And the AI will sometimes cave even before you hit 100%. Sometimes its TOO forgiving but its less annoying than making me go through the motions after theyve basically been defeated already.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Nolanar posted:

Scotland can roll right over England at the start of the grand campaign with a little luck, due to an event that gives them 12 regiments in the Highlands province and some modifiers they get when they are at war with England. Milan is somewhat hard as a new player because Austria usually gets a mission to conquer a couple of your provinces. If you want to play as Wales you can start as England, release them as a vassal and cancel the vassalization before saving and loading up as them again, but that would be a pretty hard game for a new player. I think Castille is the preferred choice for a new player wanting to learn the game.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Scotland can roll right over England at the start of the grand campaign with a little luck, due to an event that gives them 12 regiments in the Highlands province and some modifiers they get when they are at war with England. Milan is somewhat hard as a new player because Austria usually gets a mission to conquer a couple of your provinces. If you want to play as Wales you can start as England, release them as a vassal and cancel the vassalization before saving and loading up as them again, but that would be a pretty hard game for a new player. I think Castille is the preferred choice for a new player wanting to learn the game.

Does the player get that event as Scotland? I've always thought it was one of those bullshit AI balancing events designed to keep AI Scotland alive for at least a fraction of its historical lifespan and prevent a player from crushing them within 6 months of the game starting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Crameltonian posted:

Does the player get that event as Scotland? I've always thought it was one of those bullshit AI balancing events designed to keep AI Scotland alive for at least a fraction of its historical lifespan and prevent a player from crushing them within 6 months of the game starting.

Yeah the player gets that event same as the AI, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have your fresh new regiments spawn in on the island north west of the mainland, and have the English fleet blockade them and have my only chance at surviving the war stuck on an island because the RNG didn't like me :mad:.

Also I played a game as the Teutonic Order (my gimmick was to never become Prussia and stay a Theocracy forever) and Scotland managed to conquer England and form Scottish Great Britain with 0 direct intervention from me. It happens, it just needs the Scottish AI to really capitalize on England loving up and Scotland making good alliances (they had an alliance with the French as I recall).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Cheat to become civilized. If you want it to be really fair, do it for your neighbors too. Nobody will judge you.

But yeah, being an uncivilized nation sucks massively, unless you're one of the countries that gets nice boosts to that poo poo like grorious Nippon, in which case it's way easier.

How do you cheat your way into civilization? I have no qualms cheating a P-dox game (` 'cash' is my best friend) but the only cheat I've ever found that can do something about civilization is increasing plurality, which makes you gain research points slightly faster but it still takes loving forever.

Or is there somewhere in the game files that you can just flip "civilized=no" to "civilized=yes" or something?

DrProsek posted:

Yeah the player gets that event same as the AI, and let me tell you how awesome it is to have your fresh new regiments spawn in on the island north west of the mainland, and have the English fleet blockade them and have my only chance at surviving the war stuck on an island because the RNG didn't like me :mad:.

Also I played a game as the Teutonic Order (my gimmick was to never become Prussia and stay a Theocracy forever) and Scotland managed to conquer England and form Scottish Great Britain with 0 direct intervention from me. It happens, it just needs the Scottish AI to really capitalize on England loving up and Scotland making good alliances (they had an alliance with the French as I recall).

I'm really jealous of you, England is loving unkillable in my game for some reason. As France I managed to annihilate them in a war for their holding in continental Europe. Smashed their armies, destroyed their manpower, the whole nine yards. Took the continental provinces, and watched and laughed as Scotland took over the northern 1/3 of England and Sweden and even loving Algiers managed to take provinces on the coasts of England. Then I look up 50 or so years later and they've managed to push the foreigners out and take over all the land Scotland took from them and then some. :shepicide:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 5, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

How do you cheat your way into civilization? I have no qualms cheating a P-dox game (` 'cash' is my best friend) but the only cheat I've ever found that can do something about civilization is increasing plurality, which makes you gain research points slightly faster but it still takes loving forever.

Or is there somewhere in the game files that you can just flip "civilized=no" to "civilized=yes" or something?

Assuming it's anything like Ricky, it should just be a tag in the save file or something. I did that in my very first Paradox game by making Korea civilized. So much easier.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly I kept a copy of the vanilla victoria 2 files just for playing Uncivs, the AHD civilizing mechanics are just completely unfun.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Open the console and type "debug researchpoints" to get 10k free research points. It takes about 4 years tops to civilize, barring revolutions.

edit: Usually, this is the only way to survive as an African minor. I've gotten pretty far as the Zulu, only to be curbstomped by a competent British army in the late 1860's.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PBJ posted:

Open the console and type "debug researchpoints" to get 10k free research points. It takes about 4 years tops to civilize, barring revolutions.

edit: Usually, this is the only way to survive as an African minor. I've gotten pretty far as the Zulu, only to be curbstomped by a competent British army in the late 1860's.

Awesome, thanks! Maybe now trying to play as Persia will end in something other than whiskey and tears when the Russians invade :haw:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Awesome, thanks! Maybe now trying to play as Persia will end in something other than whiskey and tears when the Russians invade :haw:

Only if you keep cheating in more research points until you have all the military tech, and even then it'd probably be a stretch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alchenar posted:

At the very least it shows you its decision modifiers and whether it's rejecting peace because it thinks it's winning, that it can win, or that the AI's losing but pretty sure it's a few days away from pushing your poo poo in. It was a black hole in EU3.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The decision to expose all of the reasons the AI does or does not do something in CK2 was amazing.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Is there a steam group, IRC channel or Skype chat for playing Paradox games multiplayer with goons? I got a taste of CK2 multiplayer playing with friends a while back and now single player just feels like a pale imitation :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The decision to expose all of the reasons the AI does or does not do something in CK2 was amazing.

I agree. It was similar to the complaint people had going from Civ 4 to Civ 5. In Civ 4, you always knew why the AI liked or hated you, and it was pretty transparent in its motivations. In Civ V, they obfuscated everything and it felt like you never knew why the AI did any of the things it did, making it really hard to predict and just frustrating. Part of this was because the AI (in the few months after launch) was absolutely awful and really did just behave erratically, but the obfuscation of information didn't help.

Transparency in AI is a wonderful thing.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Wiz posted:

- You will no longer lose accepted cultures as long as they remain part of your tax base.

Can you explain this a bit? I've never fully understood what causes a culture to become/stop being accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Jabarto posted:

Can you explain this a bit? I've never fully understood what causes a culture to become/stop being accepted.

In vanilla, cultures become accepted if at least 20% (I think) of your tax comes from core provinces of that culture, and stop being accepted if less than 5% does. In EU3+, now, they can become accepted by decision and never stop being accepted as long as you have a core province of that culture on the same continent as your capital.

• Locked thread