Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Should we do another thread for AGDQ like last year? I think Violen made that one.

Yeah he did.

E: Since you guys were talking about Poxnor earlier, he just got done with a practice run of Final Fantasy Legend 3 and is about to do one of FFL2, which is a glitch fest and a half.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm going to be going live shortly with more Mighty Bomb Jack sub-8 attempts. I would really like to get that time before AGDQ starts tomorrow, so I may be streaming for quite awhile depending on execution and luck: http://www.twitch.tv/sn64

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
AGDQ lined up perfectly for me last year in terms of having absolutely zero to do, but this time I'm having a hard enough time shuffling things around to see a small fraction of what I'd like to. Honestly, I'd do a terrible job maintaining a thread useful to anyone because I wouldn't be near a computer nearly enough to keep it halfway current. It'd probably be better in someone else's hands if anyone's willing/thinks they're in it for the long haul with this marathon. Sorry guys. :(

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What time does AGDQ start tomorrow? Banner says 1pm but the font for the time zone is completely indecipherable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would be willing to help during the overnight hours CST like I did last year, but I don't think I can really maintain a thread either. :(

Good Citizen posted:

What time does AGDQ start tomorrow? Banner says 1pm but the font for the time zone is completely indecipherable.

1PM EST, 12 PM CST, etc. If you go to the schedule page, it's automatically updated into your local time zone too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Can they put that on the website so that it does say 1pm EST? I was confused as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Are they going to do the thing where each game will be archived separately for easy viewing later?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can they put that on the website so that it does say 1pm EST? I was confused as well.

It does.

quote:

Note that start times are based on your computer's local timezone.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Theseawolf1 doing some CV2 practice before AGDQ. Hope you like seeing Simon whip himself through the floor.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ToastyPotato posted:

Are they going to do the thing where each game will be archived separately for easy viewing later?

Almost certainly, but it will probably take a few weeks like last time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna miss the entire awful games block. :negative:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Somebody I see beat me to making #agdq on Synirc. I know the actual stream chat tends to be horrible with so many people so I was thinking of registering it as a smaller more private alternative.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Finally here after an amazing road trip across half the country with neskamikaze! Through some bizarre streak of misinterpretations I thought I was supposed to be one of multiple people bringing scooters to agdq (made sense to me at the time), but my Razor Scooter turned out to be a hot commodity as I spent most of today scooting around giving iateyourpie's stream a royal tour. If you want a behind the scenes look at AGDQ (read: awkward interviews, blurry tv's, and hot hot razor scooter action) check out pie's archive here. I really hope someone does make a thread for this year's marathon... it's definitely going to be ridiculously hype and I love seeing new posters in the dedicated threads. Tomorrow's filled with awesome runs (including my mischief makers run :madmax:) so make sure you watch. See you guys tomorrow!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

furry drum circle posted:

Finally here after an amazing road trip across half the country with neskamikaze! Through some bizarre streak of misinterpretations I thought I was supposed to be one of multiple people bringing scooters to agdq (made sense to me at the time), but my Razor Scooter turned out to be a hot commodity as I spent most of today scooting around giving iateyourpie's stream a royal tour. If you want a behind the scenes look at AGDQ (read: awkward interviews, blurry tv's, and hot hot razor scooter action) check out pie's archive here. I really hope someone does make a thread for this year's marathon... it's definitely going to be ridiculously hype and I love seeing new posters in the dedicated threads. Tomorrow's filled with awesome runs (including my mischief makers run :madmax:) so make sure you watch. See you guys tomorrow!

Good luck peaches__. PLAY FAST :911:

edit: Remember shoutouts please

Studio fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 6, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dr. Dos posted:

Somebody I see beat me to making #agdq on Synirc. I know the actual stream chat tends to be horrible with so many people so I was thinking of registering it as a smaller more private alternative.
Sorry about that, in any case the channel is registered and setup on SynIRC now.
Mibbit Autojoin Link
IRC Autojoin Link
Should be a lot better to chat there than put up with the horde that'll be descending on SDA's channel.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

AGDQ thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526719

Also I might stream more Mighty Bomb Jack in like an hour because I want to get the sub-8 before AGDQ starts if possible.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

already +8 minutes, better reset.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Finally here after an amazing road trip across half the country with neskamikaze! Through some bizarre streak of misinterpretations I thought I was supposed to be one of multiple people bringing scooters to agdq (made sense to me at the time), but my Razor Scooter turned out to be a hot commodity as I spent most of today scooting around giving iateyourpie's stream a royal tour.

Razor Freestyle Scooter confirmed for a bonus Awful Game Done Quick (right???)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
17k viewers for a game on the first day. Wind Waker is going to come close to 50k.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I did it. I finally got my sub-8 minutes Mighty Bomb Jack any%. Specifically, I just got a 7:53.52 while watching AGDQ, and while I didn't stream it, I did cap it! I'm very pleased with this, even though I really wish I could have gotten that time while streaming for folks. Later tonight I'll try to figure out what I need to do to upload it to Youtube and then link it here.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Stopped by AGDQ for a few hours today, dropped off a ton of perler prizes, and met a bunch of cool people. Sorry my wife and I didn't come in to watch Mischief Makers, Peaches! We weren't quiet enough to be in the actual stream room. It was like Speed, except being under so many decibels instead of over 50 mph.

In other news, and to no one's surprise, a 4-H center full of speedrunners smells very bad.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I did it. I finally got my sub-8 minutes Mighty Bomb Jack any%. Specifically, I just got a 7:53.52 while watching AGDQ, and while I didn't stream it, I did cap it! I'm very pleased with this, even though I really wish I could have gotten that time while streaming for folks. Later tonight I'll try to figure out what I need to do to upload it to Youtube and then link it here.

Congrats, that's awesome!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Here's the Youtube video with this run in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw0u4HRVhgA

I think that 7:45 might be possible but I think I'm going to take a break from this particular category for awhile because drat it was frustrating at times.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

pksage posted:

In other news, and to no one's surprise, a 4-H center full of speedrunners smells very bad.

I always wondered about this. Thank you.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Amazing scooter tour.
Are you going to do more of this? Behind the scenes stuff is great.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
I know twitch doesn't support this, but I wish AGDQ viewers could manually adjust sound levels for "Announcer", "Runner/Room", and "Game". I'm happy that so many people are donating to a worthy charity, but this announcer's voice kind of grates on me, especially when he's all "SHHHHH STOP TALKING I NEED TO READ THESE OMG". At the very least, he should have the power to just turn down the other mics when people are being noisy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

pksage posted:

especially when he's all "SHHHHH STOP TALKING I NEED TO READ THESE OMG"

Did that happen this AGDQ, was it the room being too loud? I noticed that despite better mics they still pick up little sound, still miles ahead of previous marathons.

Brainstorming for ESA2013 I described the situation for some contacts who work in TV and was recommended to go with light-weight mic-only headsets (thin ones you hang on your ears, often "skin"-coloured) rather than lavs, shotgun mics (booms) or a single X/Y for the sofa. I would add a single large mic set to a low volume entirely for room reactions and feel, with instructions to announcers to pull that fader down when they need to talk or hush.
(Those headsets are equipped with fluff, and will have their signals filtered as to not pollute the audio with mouthbreathing etc)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

MrLonghair posted:

Did that happen this AGDQ, was it the room being too loud? I noticed that despite better mics they still pick up little sound, still miles ahead of previous marathons.

This AGDQ, but not because the room was actually too noisy, the guy was just being overbearing.

Current announcer is much more tolerable.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
My other friend killed the THPS wr. http://www.twitch.tv/remedy1502/c/1820006

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pksage posted:

This AGDQ, but not because the room was actually too noisy, the guy was just being overbearing.

Current announcer is much more tolerable.

One thing that would help is setting a better cap on donation amount that gets your comment read on air and having someone pre-screen/censure comments and add phonetic pronunciations so that the announcer can just rattle them off without having to think about what they're saying.

edit: just realized they should have a ticker on the bottom with pre-screened donation comments that can just run without interrupting the game/room audio.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MrLonghair posted:

Brainstorming for ESA2013 I described the situation for some contacts who work in TV and was recommended to go with light-weight mic-only headsets (thin ones you hang on your ears, often "skin"-coloured)

If you go with this type of mic, you may want to develop a lice containment plan :gonk:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you go with this type of mic, you may want to develop a lice containment plan :gonk:

these are called Countryman mics and are usually used in theater and personally I would not suggest them, they are very pricey and are pretty fragile, I wouldn't start handing $400-600 mics off people who have never had experience with them.

How come lavs are out of the question?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
I broke one of those during a high school play and it was uhhh unfortunate for me.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode
In totally unrelated news, Stivitybobo just broke his own Banjo Kazooie 100% record during a race. Naturally, he did so at the worst possible time for anyone to be watching.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend any tips for setting up a stream? With Open Broadcaster Software, my CPU seems just a little too weak to stream Hotline Miami (I get 50 FPS in game, which is enough to throw off the timings in game along with cause some lag). I'm wondering if there's a work around I can use until I get a stronger computer.

If I do get this working, I'm going to start streaming myself learning Hotline Miami. The only run I know of it so far was segmented, and cuts out everything that isn't core gameplay. I've got the Prelude and Metro down pretty solid so far, and I'm going to keep practicing even if I can't stream. It's just too drat fun not to.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Well your streaming options are essentially these four:

-xsplit, the most commonly used, but there's a paid version to not have a watermark. Plus this program destroys computers especially compared to the others.
-ffsplit, "Free alternative to xsplit." I've never used it but apparently using more than one thing on stream is really hard.
-Flash Media Live Encoder or FMLE, completely free but also apparently extremely hard to use.
-Open Broadcaster Software or OBS is in my opinion the best streaming program you can use. It's still in its early-ish stages so its really buggy sometimes but it is not crazy resource-intensive like xsplit and streams in super good quality.

So if you try all four of those and can't play at full speed, I don't know what to tell you, sorry :/ You could try setting the game to high resources in the task manager or something if you're desperate.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

JAssassin posted:

Can anyone recommend any tips for setting up a stream? With Open Broadcaster Software, my CPU seems just a little too weak to stream Hotline Miami (I get 50 FPS in game, which is enough to throw off the timings in game along with cause some lag). I'm wondering if there's a work around I can use until I get a stronger computer.

If I do get this working, I'm going to start streaming myself learning Hotline Miami. The only run I know of it so far was segmented, and cuts out everything that isn't core gameplay. I've got the Prelude and Metro down pretty solid so far, and I'm going to keep practicing even if I can't stream. It's just too drat fun not to.

What kind of computer are you running at the moment? My last one was a Phenom II x4 965 and such and streaming the simplest things through the simplest software was 99-100% CPU time. Switched to an i5 3570K and I could stream GTA4 PC at 1080p to Twitch through Xsplit if I wanted to.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

usedpizza posted:

-ffsplit, "Free alternative to xsplit." I've never used it but apparently using more than one thing on stream is really hard.

I'd suggest giving this a try for fullscreen games. Unless you really feel the need to put your webcam on the screen at the same time or something.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I've been streaming Dishonored any% and have been using Open Broadcaster Software. My computer is about three years old, but I can easily stream 1280x720 at 60fps. My native resolution is 1920x1200, but it's easier to stream at the lower resolution in windowed mode, so long as you don't mind playing in windowed mode. Xsplit was way too intense for my computer so I would never have a good FPS while streaming. I definitely remember getting frustrated trying to setup FMLE, and I've never tried ffsplit. I think a lot of people are using OBS now, so that's probably your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
I've heard that Procaster is the gold standard for free streaming software. Easy to use and as long as you don't need to do anything more complex than one video source it gets the job done.

• Locked thread