Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Boten Anna posted:

Jesus christ how could you not know how much loving nerd rage surrounded Steam when it first started? I was never into CS or any shooter games and at one time didn't even care about Half-Life (dark days...) and I knew that there was frothing at the mouth nerd rage about how steam is horrible poo poo that makes it so their 386 can't play CS 1.6 or whatever the gently caress.

Yeah, those were the early days of Steam when it was, again, a server browser and not a storefront. When it became the latter it was good and has basically become the standard for digital distribution of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Boten Anna posted:

I wanted to point out that no, this is not how the 3DS works, if you transfer your 3DS or do the full wipe thing without a system transfer (an option reserved for being a huge gigantic fuckup idiot) you can not download games that have been previously purchased.

Fair enough, I only transferred 3DS stuff once and then sold my old one. My point still stands, I'm not spending any money on Nintendo's digital services.

Let's get back to games! My retailer of choice had a 10% promotion for preorders last night so I put in preorders for all the games I want to get in Q1+2 and apart from some 3DS games, all I got was Pikmin and Rayman Legends for Wii U. Looking at the list they had just underlined that Nintendo will be the "off-console" again this generation; it seems like they are deliberately thinning out their releases and are missing basically all of the AAA games that come out in Spring (and there are a lot of them). I don't mind that one bit, but I don't think it will suddenly change for the Christmas season or 2014, either.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Katana Gomai posted:

it seems like they are deliberately thinning out their releases and are missing basically all of the AAA games that come out in Spring (and there are a lot of them). I don't mind that one bit, but I don't think it will suddenly change for the Christmas season or 2014, either.

Grand Theft Auto V :arghfist::(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

Fair enough, I only transferred 3DS stuff once and then sold my old one. My point still stands, I'm not spending any money on Nintendo's digital services.

Let's get back to games! My retailer of choice had a 10% promotion for preorders last night so I put in preorders for all the games I want to get in Q1+2 and apart from some 3DS games, all I got was Pikmin and Rayman Legends for Wii U. Looking at the list they had just underlined that Nintendo will be the "off-console" again this generation; it seems like they are deliberately thinning out their releases and are missing basically all of the AAA games that come out in Spring (and there are a lot of them). I don't mind that one bit, but I don't think it will suddenly change for the Christmas season or 2014, either.

The first year of any console's always slow with releases though. Even porting something from another console takes a fair bit of time and effort to convert. I'm impressed it's had this many good exclusives so soon (including the feb/march releases), to be quite honest.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Iacen posted:

Source

I might reconsider my stance on buying pre-owned consoles, if this holds up.

Yeah, and I got the Ambassador games + a few other random ones with my 3DS for free because I bought a used one. Which meant I ended up with more despite paying literally half the price it was new.

:mario: Good Job Nintendo® :mario:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Grand Theft Auto V :arghfist::(

No word on it coming out to the WiiU whatsoever? I mean it doesn't even have a release date.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Just speculation, but i think it's too early to start ruling out any games. No games have been announced since the launch window games right? Also isn't this the slow time of year for releases?

I was pretty lukewarm on GTA 5 after seeing the trailer, but i'd be interested to see what they do with the gamepad if it does make it's way to the Wii-U.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

katkillad2 posted:

Just speculation, but i think it's too early to start ruling out any games. No games have been announced since the launch window games right? Also isn't this the slow time of year for releases?

I was pretty lukewarm on GTA 5 after seeing the trailer, but i'd be interested to see what they do with the gamepad if it does make it's way to the Wii-U.

It's got an install base of 2.2 million so far, but I think it's dwarfed by the PS360 base. So who knows how many third parties will actually give this thing the time of day, I'm curbing my enthusiasm by focusing on one title I know will come out for it at least, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Has anyone else been having problems with wifi/netflix on it? I got the deluxe 2 weeks ago or so, and it was working fine until the past 4 days. Now it either cannot connect to the network at all, or when it does it is pretty slow and netflix will spend more time buffering than working. I have been trying to tease out whether it is our wifi, netflix, or the wii U itself, and it feels like it might be the wii U because netflix was working fine on the wii, when it would not even connect on the wii U. Searching for issues I keep finding guides for what appears to be a completely different problem online about not being able to connect at all that did not seem to help any with this one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Same with me actually. It has been working fine until this past week, where it will more often than not stall watching anything in Amazon, just watching a rotating circle forever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Why would GTA5 come out for the Wii U? Has anything changed since a dude in charge at Rockstar was asked about it and said something along the lines of "We have no plans for a port, and we haven't even seen the Wii U, so we're not even sure if a port is plausible."?

I know Reggie said he'd love to see it on the console, but I'm sure Reggie would also love to have every game come out on the console.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Soul Glo posted:

Why would GTA5 come out for the Wii U? Has anything changed since a dude in charge at Rockstar was asked about it and said something along the lines of "We have no plans for a port, and we haven't even seen the Wii U, so we're not even sure if a port is plausible."?

I know Reggie said he'd love to see it on the console, but I'm sure Reggie would also love to have every game come out on the console.

While I'll totally agree that GTA V won't come out because of specific Rockstar tendencies, I have a lot of hopes that there will be many more mature titles on the Wii U as Nintendo seems to be progressing and evolving past their near-censorship lack of support and encouragement for non-family friendly titles. And that's a really good trend for Nintendo to be taking, after 20 years of no-blood-in-Mortal-Kombat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Nintendo really want GTAV for it, they should pay Rockstar development costs of a port. It's a simple as that. I think bribery is how 360 got GTA IV, isn't it? I don't expect Reggie to get a tattoo announcing it though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

If Nintendo really want GTAV for it, they should pay Rockstar development costs of a port. It's a simple as that. I think bribery is how 360 got GTA IV, isn't it? I don't expect Reggie to get a tattoo announcing it though.

It wasn't bribery as much as it was "For every person on the PS3 there's twenty on the 360."

This is the reason for practically every Sony exclusive defecting/going multi-platform, and it really didn't help them when they weren't doing well at the start.

This is why I'm hoping companies like Platinum keep producing Nintendo-exclusive games, same with Monster Hunter and other franchises. Strong exclusives will be the only reason the core crowd will pick up a WiiU.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 5, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

It wasn't bribery as much as it was "For every person on the PS3 there's twenty on the 360."

This is the reason for practically every Sony exclusive defecting/going multi-platform, and it really didn't help them when they weren't doing well at the start.

This is why I'm hoping companies like Platinum keep producing Nintendo-exclusive games, same with Monster Hunter and other franchises. Strong exclusives will be the only reason the core crowd will pick up a WiiU.

I may have my timeline wrong, but I remember him coming out and rolling p his sleeve to show te GTAIV tattoo at the E3 before either PS3 or 360 were released. Maybe it was the one right after.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Okay, I just impulse-bought the deluxe. What screen protector should I get? I've only gone through the setup and already the greasy fingerprints are haunting me.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

Okay, I just impulse-bought the deluxe. What screen protector should I get? I've only gone through the setup and already the greasy fingerprints are haunting me.

A screen protector won't do poo poo for smudges, as the entire Gamepad is glossy plastic. Just keep a microfiber cloth nearby and wipe the pad at the start of the session.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The screen protectors out right now kind of suck. I have a Horii, but it was an rear end in a top hat to put on right and is like half an inch short. There will probably be better soon.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah, what the gently caress is going on with Hori this time around?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

greatn posted:

I may have my timeline wrong, but I remember him coming out and rolling p his sleeve to show te GTAIV tattoo at the E3 before either PS3 or 360 were released. Maybe it was the one right after.

That might have actually been the Halo 3 tattoo, if it was so early.

Reggie wouldnt get a tattoo, he would take a random member of the audience and forcibly tattoo them. With Reggies lack of art talent and all the thrashing, I wouldnt expect it to come out very good though.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

EDIT: Wrong Thread

On topic, Little Inferno owns and everyone should get it, if it's still on sale.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 6, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Just to settle this, from wikipedia:

quote:

The Corporate Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division, Peter Moore, announced at E3 2006 that the game would appear on Xbox 360, by rolling up his sleeve to reveal a GTA IV temporary tattoo.

It is also pretty much the most expensive non-MMO game ever developed (budget of 100 million) and had over a thousand people working on it!

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 6, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VarrosAnon posted:

While I'll totally agree that GTA V won't come out because of specific Rockstar tendencies, I have a lot of hopes that there will be many more mature titles on the Wii U as Nintendo seems to be progressing and evolving past their near-censorship lack of support and encouragement for non-family friendly titles. And that's a really good trend for Nintendo to be taking, after 20 years of no-blood-in-Mortal-Kombat.

Is it really a trend if they stopped that twenty years ago and have published piles of mature games since then? They're not evolving; they evolved. Past tense. In 1993. What's happening with Nintendo's publishing policies with the WiiU is nothing new; this what Nintendo has been doing since before the SNES was off shelves.

Now there is a problem with Nintendo's image since it seems that most people's opinion of them, including those in charge of game publishers, is frozen at around 1990 which is why people are constantly saying things like "I'm glad Nintendo is finally allowing more mature games on their system!" them when Nintendo has published games like Killer Instinct, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Eternal Darkness.

Edit: I should note that Nintendo probably didn't care that much about their image problem since other companies have the hyper-aggressive, young male demographic pretty well sown up and hardly anyone until smart phones came along was looking at the broader market. Which is why the Wii was such a massive hit while the rest of the game industry put their fingers in their ears and went "La La La! The Wii doesn't count! We're happy driving the industry over this cliff! Happy with it!"

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 6, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: I should note that Nintendo probably didn't care that much about their image problem since other companies have the hyper-aggressive, young male demographic pretty well sown up and hardly anyone until smart phones came along was looking at the broader market. Which is why the Wii was such a massive hit while the rest of the game industry put their fingers in their ears and went "La La La! The Wii doesn't count! We're happy driving the industry over this cliff! Happy with it!"

"The Wii U is going to fail just like the Wii."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AngryCaterpillar posted:

"The Wii U is going to fail just like the Wii."

So far that's accurate in terms of attachment rate. Or has that gone up since a Christmas rush? Was hovering around less than two before, right?

Any day now my tax forms should come in. Two weeks after that my return will hit (file early, return early) which will turn into a Wii U, Mario U and maybe Zombi U and Sonic Racers. That will be a fun shopping trip, and should be doable as I am still fairly routinely seeing consoles on shelves which is nice (for me, at least, I guess).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Soul Glo posted:

I am still fairly routinely seeing consoles on shelves which is nice (for me, at least, I guess).

Not underestimating demand tends to be good for the company too :v:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

xwonderboyx posted:

It's more smear the queer.

Those raised in the south know it.

edit: just so I don't come off like a weird jerk there was a game everyone I knew played where a ball of some sort, usually a football, was placed on the ground. The first person to pick it up was the "queer" and it was the job of everyone else to "smear" him/her and take the ball away. There was no goal other than being the person holding the ball the longest. No one ever really won.

As a kid I never really understood the significance of the name but now it's kind of hilarious. Also, I almost explained it to my mother-in-law with that name but stopped myself short because she is a gay lady.

This is from a couple pages back, sorry, but my internet crapped out for a day or so so I never had the chance to reply.

We played that here in West Virginia, but we called it the Greased Watermelon Game, and it was played in a swimming pool. You'd cover a watermelon with Crisco, drop it in the middle of a swimming pool, and have at it, though sometimes it was girls against boys. If you could get it to the side and onto a beach towel you'd finally get to eat it.

I almost drowned playing it once when I was 14 because only babies play in shallow water. (EDIT: Because I got the watermelon and the swarm of teenagers descended upon me and forced me under, and I WOULD NOT LET GO.)

OK, derail over.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The Lobster posted:

This is from a couple pages back, sorry, but my internet crapped out for a day or so so I never had the chance to reply.

We played that here in West Virginia, but we called it the Greased Watermelon Game, and it was played in a swimming pool. You'd cover a watermelon with Crisco, drop it in the middle of a swimming pool, and have at it, though sometimes it was girls against boys. If you could get it to the side and onto a beach towel you'd finally get to eat it.

I almost drowned playing it once when I was 14 because only babies play in shallow water. (EDIT: Because I got the watermelon and the swarm of teenagers descended upon me and forced me under, and I WOULD NOT LET GO.)

OK, derail over.

Holy poo poo, that game is real?? I only heard about it on It's Always Sunny where Danny DeVito wanted to be greased up in lieu of the watermelon. I just assumed it was some insane thing the show made up.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

robot roll call posted:

Holy poo poo, that game is real?? I only heard about it on It's Always Sunny where Danny DeVito wanted to be greased up in lieu of the watermelon. I just assumed it was some insane thing the show made up.

Man, I need to watch It's Always Sunny. Yes, it's a real game! Most often played on the fourth of July. :patriot:

Man, I just don't get the kiddie image of Nintendo. It bothered me when I was a kid and it bothers me now. Um, most of the people who grew up with me playing Nintendo... still play Nintendo? They are married and poo poo. They are grown-ups. But the image never grew up, so because I am a lady, when I go into Gamestop (only store around here) and buy a Nintendo game, I am just a casual gamer and should be treated like poo poo apparently. It's condescending. If I'm purchasing an "M" rated game it must be "for my boyfriend" and once I was even told, "Hey, your boyfriend won't be able to play that on his Xbox."

So of course I get all my PC stuff from Steam, duh. Then I don't have to deal with those assholes.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Couldn't you just get stuff off amazon (with prime) or go to a walmart/bestbuy/etc?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yeah, only deal with GameStop for Midnight releases and exclusives they get that you want.

sigher fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 6, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

The Lobster posted:

If I'm purchasing an "M" rated game it must be "for my boyfriend" and once I was even told, "Hey, your boyfriend won't be able to play that on his Xbox."

That's a really asinine thing to say. I like how he (I assume he) threw in the assumption that you didn't understand the concept of different platforms for good measure.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Lobster posted:

Man, I need to watch It's Always Sunny. Yes, it's a real game! Most often played on the fourth of July. :patriot:

Man, I just don't get the kiddie image of Nintendo. It bothered me when I was a kid and it bothers me now. Um, most of the people who grew up with me playing Nintendo... still play Nintendo? They are married and poo poo. They are grown-ups. But the image never grew up, so because I am a lady, when I go into Gamestop (only store around here) and buy a Nintendo game, I am just a casual gamer and should be treated like poo poo apparently. It's condescending. If I'm purchasing an "M" rated game it must be "for my boyfriend" and once I was even told, "Hey, your boyfriend won't be able to play that on his Xbox."

So of course I get all my PC stuff from Steam, duh. Then I don't have to deal with those assholes.

So he'll be able to play it on his PS3? :haw:

No really, Nintendo's kiddie image has got to be some residual thing from people who don't play video games at all. Miiverse sort of reflects the general userbase of Wii U owners, and it seems like most of us are in our teens and up. I wouldn't be surprised if the average Wii U owner turned out to be in his mid-to-late 20s. It seems like most kids want Xboxes these days, anyway.

Go back and grab Madworld ($3 used), and then play it because it's badass and only on Nintendo :dukedog:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny, I don't think Nintendo's dues will ever be paid for censoring Mortal Kombat 1. Even though the following year Mortal Kombat 2 had no censorship at all. They will never live it down.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
How much would you guys say you use the TV vs. playing strictly on the gamepad? I find myself playing in bed before going to sleep just using the gamepad + headphones a lot more than actually sitting down in front of the TV...

The only annoying thing is that there's no way to really set a "starting position" for orienting the controller. Like, if I'm playing on my back, it should let you set that upward position as the starting point and then base all movement off that. It's pretty annoying in Nintendoland sometimes.

I hope more and more functionality gets added to "playing without a TV" aspect, such as Virtual Console stuff played on the gamepad screen.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

ohnoitschris posted:

No really, Nintendo's kiddie image has got to be some residual thing from people who don't play video games at all. Miiverse sort of reflects the general userbase of Wii U owners, and it seems like most of us are in our teens and up. I wouldn't be surprised if the average Wii U owner turned out to be in his mid-to-late 20s. It seems like most kids want Xboxes these days, anyway.

Family-friendly doesn't mean kiddie, guys. I wasn't saying Nintendo caters only to kids, I'm saying that they're catering to us - the people who still have fond memories of playing Donkey Kong at the arcade and Mario 3 on the NES. That's going to be a failing business model if they don't stop milking their laurels. I love Nintendo franchises - Galaxy is probably one of my favorite games of all time - but I'm simply saying that with the Wii U, if they get a few titles that also cater to the 'hyper-aggressive young male' (which is also pretty unfair labeling) and give the Wii u a lot more options instead of being a one-trick experience, it will be a lot better for Nintendo's identity instead of the company that keeps iterating the same poo poo and getting away with it.

And you guys are giving Nintendo fans a lot of credit. They're not all goons who post in this thread. A huge amount of them are kids whose parents don't want them to play Halo, and most teenagers/college students (since we're talking big stereotypes here) get a 360 or PS3 as their main console, as they're not willing to drop 300$ for a Mario machine. Not all gamers are 12 year olds yelling at their parents to get them Call of Duty.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So they bugfixed Sonic, yes?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

So they bugfixed Sonic, yes?

A while back, I've had the game for weeks, and haven't had a single bug or glitch occur.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's a really asinine thing to say. I like how he (I assume he) threw in the assumption that you didn't understand the concept of different platforms for good measure.

You assume correctly.

I really should stop going there and I do order a lot of games online now, especially I bought stuff like Opoona that wouldn't be in the store (most likely) anyway. For a while back, when I was still in high school, they had this one woman working there who was in her 30s-40s, I'd say. She was intelligent and never assumed poo poo and was always helpful and even turned me on to stuff I love to this day. I have no idea what happened, she just wasn't there anymore after a point. (I hope whatever god she pissed off to be stuck working a lovely retail job decided her punishment was over.) These days, if the employees aren't the two guys I know from high school, I get condescended to. And not a woman in sight.

VarrosAnon posted:

Family-friendly doesn't mean kiddie, guys. I wasn't saying Nintendo caters only to kids, I'm saying that they're catering to us - the people who still have fond memories of playing Donkey Kong at the arcade and Mario 3 on the NES. That's going to be a failing business model if they don't stop milking their laurels. I love Nintendo franchises - Galaxy is probably one of my favorite games of all time - but I'm simply saying that with the Wii U, if they get a few titles that also cater to the 'hyper-aggressive young male' (which is also pretty unfair labeling) and give the Wii u a lot more options instead of being a one-trick experience, it will be a lot better for Nintendo's identity instead of the company that keeps iterating the same poo poo and getting away with it.

And you guys are giving Nintendo fans a lot of credit. They're not all goons who post in this thread. A huge amount of them are kids whose parents don't want them to play Halo, and most teenagers/college students (since we're talking big stereotypes here) get a 360 or PS3 as their main console, as they're not willing to drop 300$ for a Mario machine. Not all gamers are 12 year olds yelling at their parents to get them Call of Duty.

I agree they cater to us, and that family friendly isn't "kiddie" (although try convincing everyone else of that, really - in here you are preaching to the choir). It would definitely kick some serious rear end if we could get some of those more so called mature titles. Like everyone was saying earlier I would sell at least a portion of my soul if it would convince Rockstar to port GTA V over. But as fans, I don't know how much influence we have. A lot of those companies are in the group that equates family friendly with "kiddie," and they're still very wary of Nintendo. Probably the best hope is for a new franchise to start up on Wii U instead. ZombiU might be an option. Or something not out yet. Nintendo is getting friendly with the indie devs, and who knows? Maybe Rockstar could be convinced to do something entirely new once the install base is a bit bigger. Since the tech gap is bound to be a lot smaller this gen, I think that sort of thing has a better chance of happening than it has in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Lobster posted:

That's really lovely and you should complain to corporate about that. I buy stuff from Gamestops, well, not as frequently as I used to, but fairly often, and I've never once been talked down to for my purchases. There are even ladies working at both the Gamestops closest to me.

But really, it's none of their loving business what games you buy and you shouldn't put up with it. Complain to the bigwigs and get their asses chewed out and/or fired.

• Locked thread