Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Btmi announced Australia shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Maybe Jeff is a stone cold capitalist who has been playing poor for many years, building a devoted fan base, and then announcing a break up in order to create hype. Now, because everyone is afraid BTMI is about to go away forever we're all going to his shows and throwing money in his direction.

Or maybe Jeff just can't stop because he's nuts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

Maybe Jeff is a stone cold capitalist who has been playing poor for many years, building a devoted fan base, and then announcing a break up in order to create hype. Now, because everyone is afraid BTMI is about to go away forever we're all going to his shows and throwing money in his direction.

Or maybe Jeff just can't stop because he's nuts.

He said there were a few things they wanted to do as a band before breaking up, Australia was one and I think a full band tour in South America was another.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Matt is also moving there, so they might as well just go drop him off.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Cool, now I can go see them.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Gabbleduck posted:

Btmi announced Australia shows.

Planning on going to the Brisbane, Byron Bay and Coffs Harbor shows. Aw yes.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The Smith Street Band played with them a few weeks ago in Brooklyn. They were really great and I picked up their latest CD after the show. If you haven't heard them, make sure to see them when you go.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

dnz posted:

Planning on going to the Brisbane, Byron Bay and Coffs Harbor shows. Aw yes.

If all works out I was hoping on going down to their Sydney show as well. It's a great excuse to go camping down the East Coast.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Holy crap, the Aquabats Super Show is nuts.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
http://bombthemusicindustry.com/bigkisses/ New Kinda-Broken-Up-But-Not-Yet-Really Bomb song for a good cause.

Also, where are the Hometown Throwndown reports this year? Tonight's the last night, but I would have figured some people went to the other two.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I just got back, I didn't much care for the opening act "Star Gang Affiliate" or something like that. But Bouncing Souls and Bosstones had the entire crowd moving for most of the night. I'll see if I can't get some of my pictures uploaded.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

crazkylo posted:

I just got back, I didn't much care for the opening act "Star Gang Affiliate" or something like that. But Bouncing Souls and Bosstones had the entire crowd moving for most of the night. I'll see if I can't get some of my pictures uploaded.

Moufy ruled. Souls were their predictable boring live show. Dogmatics didn't impress. Soul Radics are great and everyone should check them out. Real good ska/reggae. Convictions were pretty awesome skapunk too. Pretty good for their first US show. Amazing Royal Crowns didn't look like they played their last show 11 years ago. They were on fire all night. Big D still sucks. Bosstones killed it every night. I had no voice by the end of all 3 nights.

Now have a lovely picture I took of Dicky in a tux and tophat at the start of last night's show:

edit: drunk asian neighbor: you said you work at the HOB right? If you were that bouncer catching crowdsurfers up front in my pic there than I love you. You saved my head from getting crushed by people entirely too fat to be up there so many times.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 1, 2013

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

edit: drunk asian neighbor: you said you work at the HOB right? If you were that bouncer catching crowdsurfers up front in my pic there than I love you. You saved my head from getting crushed by people entirely too fat to be up there so many times.

Nah I quit there in September. A lot of the dickish security people left between then and now, so for the most part everyone that works there is great nowadays!

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I only had 2 pictures come out alright, the rest where blurry from being pushed right as I go to take a picture.

It was my first time at the House of Blues, along with my first time seeing the Bosstones. I need to make more of en effort to get out to shows now that I have extra cash.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Unless those are really zoomed in, looks like you were right behind me night 2.

Here's the sets from all 3 nights.

Night 1:
I Want My City Back
This Time of Year
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Numbered Days
Hope I Never Lose My Wallet
Like A Shotgun
Someday I Suppose
1-2-8
She Just Happened
Graffiti Worth Reading
Kinder Words
Don't Worry Desmond Dekker
The Common Decency
Rudie Can't Fail
Sunday Afternoons on Wisdom Ave
The Old School off the Bright
Let's Face It
They Came to Boston
You Left Right?
The Rascal King
Dr D
Devil's Night Out
The Impression That I Get
The Impossible Dream
Encore:
They Will Need Music
Toxic Toast
Holy Smoke

Night 2:
The Old School off the Bright
Where'd You Go?
The Daylights
The Rascal King
Mr. Moran
Someday I Suppose
Let Me Be
Like A Shotgun
Another Drinkin Song
Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah
Allow Them
A Sad Silence
Kinder Words
Bad News and Bad Breaks
Everybody's Better
The Horseshoe and the Rabbits Foot
Graffiti Worth Reading
1-2-8
Dogs & Chaplains
Dr. D
Devil's Night Out
They Will Need Music
You Gotta Go!
Encore:
A Pretty Sad Excuse
737/Shoe Glue

Night 3:
Temporary Trip
Don't Know How to Party
Mr. Moran
The Rascal King
Like a Shotgun
He's Back
Do Somethin Crazy
Where'd You Go?
The Magic of Youth
The Bartender's Song
Royal Oil
Everybody's Better
Wasted Summers
The Common Decency
A Jackknife to a Swan
Hell of a Hat
Someday I Suppose
You Left Right?
Auld Lang Syne
They Will Need Music
Awfully Quiet
A Little Bit Ugly with Zig Zag Dance in the middle of it!!!!!!
Holy Smoke
Encore:
Pirate Ship
Kinder Words
Devil's Night Out
The Impossible Dream
Light's Out

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
No idea how kosher this is, but someone expressed interest earlier in the thread: I'm in a ska band, and we have videos from a recent show. Videos NSFW due to language.

The Skashank Redemption (Columbus, OH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh8ptsnTxdE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwj2U17h5bI

Sound quality isn't ideal, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I moved around quite a bit during the entire show, but I did stay in the general area the pictures where taken from.

I ended up moving back every now and then and then having to kind of force my way back up near the front.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

FateoMcSkippy posted:

A Little Bit Ugly with Zig Zag Dance in the middle of it!!!!!!

ugh you've got to be loving kidding me :suicide:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Going to see The Smith Street Band and BTMI in Newcastle, so loving stoked! Might even go to the Sydney show...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
New Streetlight within the next 4 weeks, right?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

rear end Catchcum posted:

New Streetlight within the next 4 weeks, right?

Of course :laffo:

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I was hoping to see people say good thing about the Dogmatics because it's my cousin's band. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Did anyone see the track listing for the Asian Man membership vinyl?

The Taxpayers are covering The Wild, The Wild are covering Shinobu, Cheap Girls are doing The Smoking Popes, BtMI! is doing Slow Gherkin, and there are a few other choice ones on there.

There really needs to be a digital download of this :ohdear:

e:

SIDE A
The Atom Age - Southern Rock (Alkaline Trio)
Sundials - Brave As A Noun (AJJ)
Mikey Erg - Touring In The Fall (The Plus Ones)
Dan Potthast - Grown rear end Man (Gnarboots) :monocle:
Miracles - Under My Belt (The Broadways)
AJJ - San Jose Fight Song (Ten In The Swear Jar)
The Taxpayers - Set Ourselves Free (The Wild) :fap:
BtMI! - Shed Some Skin (Slow Gherkin) :slick:

SIDE B
The Wild - Not Gonna Happen (Shinobu) :f5:
Cheap Girls - Brand New Hairstyle (Smoking Popes) :iamafag:
Dan Andriano - Lincoln (Mu330)
Gnarboots - La (Mu330)
Summer Vacation - Blake St. Valentine (Toys That Kill)
Chotto Ghetto - Black Square (Ee)

:holymoley:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 8, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ska-rap, First Wave so it actually isn't bad

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

That was great.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Some new stuff about the new Streetlight album:

Tomas posted:

Long time, eh?

So this is the time when we should be shipping out all the pre-orders for "The Hands That Thieve" and "The Hand That Thieves" but as most of you who have been posted next to your mailboxes have figured out - it hasn't shipped yet. "Streetlight, is there a silver lining amongst all this placating?" you ask - and the answer is - YES.
The album has been mastered and as proof - today we proudly provide you with the first of many samples of the new Streetlight Manifesto record. Here are two, minute-long clips of two songs that you'll hear on "The Hands That Thieve".
The release date is currently up in the air, though.
When we hear from Victory Records about when they'll be releasing the album, we will be right there to let you know. We hope to know the release date within a week or so.
We understand patience has been worn thin but we stand by this record and the work that has gone into it with such unwavering aplomb that our excitement should match yours when you hear the samples. But at the same time, we understand that you've all been very understanding with us and our delays, and deadlines that have come and gone, that we would like to compensate you accordingly. With every single pre-order (from the RISC Store) of the new album of any size (from the CD by itself to the Mega Bundle) we will be including a free live EP CD that we recorded on the "Hands That Thieve Tour" last fall. The free live EP will be an exclusive RISC Store gift and is the only professional live Streetlight Manifesto recording to date.
So once again, thank you for your continued patience and we hope this acts as an appetizer before the feast is served. Keep your napkin on your lap.

Here are the two samples:
https://soundcloud.com/pentimentomusic/sets/streetlight-manifesto-thtt

I think it sounds pretty solid between those samples and some live videos posted earlier in the thread. Plus since I preordered the CD back in October, I'm pretty excited about the professional live EP too.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gently caress the live ep. Pre-orders should have gotten emailed a download link. :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

gently caress the live ep. Pre-orders should have gotten emailed a download link. :colbert:

That's what happens when Victory tries to gently caress them on the release date.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm surprised Victory even remembers them as they're busy with bands like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dodecalypse posted:

I think it sounds pretty solid between those samples and some live videos posted earlier in the thread. Plus since I preordered the CD back in October, I'm pretty excited about the professional live EP too.

guys, its coming. Its finally coming :unsmith:

So excited for this, can't wait. Took long enough Tomas

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the name of the ska-core band that had that song that goes "Lay your head down" and "Driving up the wall"

I think the band name starts with a P

edit: The Pilfers, thanks OP!

the fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 17, 2013

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm surprised Victory even remembers them as they're busy with bands like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

Yes, "Surrounded by Silence" was the right choice when they picked a name for that song.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Holy crap, new Streetlight. Glad I clicked on the thread.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I'm way late on the BTMI discussion, but I'm Terrorfied!!! has one of the best chorus breakdowns ever.

Dodecalypse posted:

Seems to be a lot more latin influence than previous albums. And by the time I get my drat hoodie from the pre-order it's going to be too hot to wear it, dammit Florida.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Holy poo poo, Tokyo Ska Paradise actually got US distribution for their latest album and it's on iTunes and Spotify. It's a fuckin ska miracle.

Now everyone can hear the weirdly translated but cool as poo poo song they did with Angelo Moore from Fishbone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is it awesome? It's awesome, right?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think they can make a bad album. They cover a couple of jazz standards too.

I just hope this means their back library can get a US distributor too. World Ska Symphony never got a release here :(

e: The album reminds me of Perfect Future and if you love their trainwreck English drunk singing and beautiful horn melodies like I do there's a lot to like here. A lot of both.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2013

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm sorry ska thread, I should've listened to you all those years ago and gone to the BTMI shows when I could. Spent today listening to everything they've ever made and I love them.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Shabadu posted:

I'm sorry ska thread, I should've listened to you all those years ago and gone to the BTMI shows when I could. Spent today listening to everything they've ever made and I love them.

Hurry up and get to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

lessthankyle posted:

Hurry up and get to Australia.

Are you in Melbourne? A ska thread goon meet would be pretty weird but...