Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Got codes from the EA Daily Spin for Mirror's Edge and Skate It. They're free to a good home.

Mirror's Edge: https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=P3JXKHJTJLYW

Skate It: https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=KTW69ATTMLYP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

KGBAgent185 posted:

I just noticed that punch quest got a 2012 editor's choice award and it is still featured in the App Store, grats guys.

EDGE magazine in the UK also put it on their list of best games of 2012, and it also won the special award for 'Most Undeserved F2P Cataclysm:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-edge-awards-2012-alternative-awards/12/ posted:

By the time RocketCat had almost reached a million downloads of its brilliant free-to-play auto-runner, Punch Quest, the game had banked a paltry $10K, barely a minimum wage salary for the developer effort involved. It’s sad that RocketCat was forced to learn an expensive lesson in what non-grinding, non-pestering, player-friendly game design gets you in the world of free-to-play.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I'm going to be leaving town for a couple of weeks to help take care of a convalescing grandmother. She doesn't have internet and there's not much to do around where she lives so I'm going to have long stretches without much to do. I'm hoping to load up my iPad with some fun apps before I go. I'd like to spend about $10-20, maybe a little more. I took a look at the 'Best of 2012' TA list (and I think 2011 too) and picked out some things that look like they may strike my fancy.

Stuff I'm considering: League of Evil, Waking Mars, Devil's Attorney, Dynamite Jack, Bring Me Sandwiches.

Also, are there any particular Kairosoft games that are better/more in depth than others? I currently own the soccer one and whichever one was just on sale for $1 (Dungeon Village?).

Thoughts? Any other suggestions maybe along those lines? What I mostly play at the moment is Cook, Serve, Delicious, which I love, but I'm running out of things to do with it. :(

Thanks!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

EDGE magazine in the UK also put it on their list of best games of 2012, and it also won the special award for 'Most Undeserved F2P Cataclysm:
Hahaha, oh man. It's completely horrible that you basically have to be an rear end in a top hat to profit on the app store, but... there you have it, I guess.

Sorry your experiment in being a good guy game developer didn't pay off Kepa. :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Hahaha, oh man. It's completely horrible that you basically have to be an rear end in a top hat to profit on the app store, but... there you have it, I guess.

Well with a F2P game, yeah. I'm thankful we never hit the "All games will be F2P in the future!" dystopia people were predicting.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I donate a couple of bucks to Punchquest folks whenever I can. It's not fair that rear end in a top hat designers get money, where great designers who provide non-intrusive services get screwed.

I want the PunchQuest folks that whatever you produce, I will always buy. I am a customer for life.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is the soccer Kairosoft game any good? I really enjoyed Hot Springs Story and Game Dev Story, but I haven't seen the goon consensus on it.

rgrdgr Blitz
Feb 2, 2006

Grand Mastar Bizhoe

randyest posted:

That looks pretty cool; trying it. I see there's some IAP -- is the $5 "content forever" IAP really everything (which would be fine) or do you get nickled and dimed?

It's really everything, no nickel and diming, unless you wanna nickel and dime yourself with gold packs and stuff.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I took the plunge on The Room the other day based on this thread, and finished both that and Bastion yesterday. Great games.

I'm now looking at starting The Walking Dead, but I do also want to watch the TV show that I haven't started yet. Is doing one before the other particularly spoilerish, or are they distinct storylines?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Distinct story lines with a character shared between for an episode or two, it takes place before the show.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The Need For Speed: Most Wanted game is loving garbage. I thought for a dollar it might be a bit of a thing to piss about with from time to time when I can't get near the real thing on my PS3. Even for a dollar I feel like I wasted my money though.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is the soccer Kairosoft game any good? I really enjoyed Hot Springs Story and Game Dev Story, but I haven't seen the goon consensus on it.

Yes the soccer one is excellent. Also check out grand prix story.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Froist posted:

I took the plunge on The Room the other day based on this thread, and finished both that and Bastion yesterday. Great games.

I'm now looking at starting The Walking Dead, but I do also want to watch the TV show that I haven't started yet. Is doing one before the other particularly spoilerish, or are they distinct storylines?

As queeb said, they're mostly completely separate, apart from one reveal in the second episode of the game that I don't think comes up for a fair bit in the show (for those who've played the game and watched the show who might be able to offer a more concrete answer, I'm talking about the bit in Episode 2 where Ben tells you that everyone's already infected. I've only seen the first season, so I'm not sure when that comes up in the show).

Other than that, there's a character or two who appear in the show and who are also in the game for a little, but it's nothing huge. Storylines are otherwise distinct.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've been enjoying The Grading Game, a sort of word puzzle game where you look for spelling and grammatical errors in essays, with the goal of failing every student. There is a free version - check it out if that sounds interesting!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smenj posted:

I'm not sure when that comes up in the show

Rick is told at the end of season 1 and he reveals it to the group at the end of season 2.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Daveski posted:

I've been enjoying The Grading Game, a sort of word puzzle game where you look for spelling and grammatical errors in essays, with the goal of failing every student. There is a free version - check it out if that sounds interesting!

I thought you were joking but it's real.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/02/the-grading-game-review-good-times-for-grammar-nerds/

This looks like the worst game.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
You know, you could just go to your local high school or university and offer to proofread papers if you want to do it so badly.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

1024x768 posted:

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/02/the-grading-game-review-good-times-for-grammar-nerds/

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

1024x768 posted:

I played the free version a bit and it's not that bad, but I don't think I'll be going back to it. The same 'essays' come up over and over again, granted with different programmatically generated mistakes in there, but you learn the patterns for those too. I just found the time limits far too strict; I could very rarely make it through finding all the mistakes. Plus there were some 'correct' UK spellings that it marked as incorrect, as soon as I hit those I was out :britain:

I've played the first episode of The Walking Dead, really enjoyed it but tempted to re-play it as I instantly regretted the decision I made at the end :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Froist posted:

I've played the first episode of The Walking Dead, really enjoyed it but tempted to re-play it as I instantly regretted the decision I made at the end :(

Do not do this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Froist posted:

I played the free version a bit and it's not that bad, but I don't think I'll be going back to it. The same 'essays' come up over and over again, granted with different programmatically generated mistakes in there, but you learn the patterns for those too. I just found the time limits far too strict; I could very rarely make it through finding all the mistakes. Plus there were some 'correct' UK spellings that it marked as incorrect, as soon as I hit those I was out :britain:

Yeah the free version only has like 3 or 4 different essays, but the paid version appears to have over 100. Obviously the game won't appeal to everyone, but I've been having a good time with it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Do not do this.

Don't do this because you're playing the game wrong by wanting to change your decisions? People can play however they want, guy. They may not get the true experience by min maxing a story and decision heavy game like this, especially when the decisions are purposefully timed to force quick actions, but I'd be a liar if I said I've never done that. I was very guilty of scumming Heavy Rain.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Parkingtigers posted:

The Need For Speed: Most Wanted game is loving garbage. I thought for a dollar it might be a bit of a thing to piss about with from time to time when I can't get near the real thing on my PS3. Even for a dollar I feel like I wasted my money though.

Mind me asking why? You opinion about games is usually reasonable but I've been loving nfs when I grabbed it for that price before christmas. The controls are almost as good as Asphalts, the gfx are pretty decent and there seems to be a decent amount of content, hell I even like the way the friend scoring is handled so I can compete with a mate who bought it at the same time.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bummey posted:

Don't do this because you're playing the game wrong by wanting to change your decisions? People can play however they want, guy. They may not get the true experience by min maxing a story and decision heavy game like this, especially when the decisions are purposefully timed to force quick actions, but I'd be a liar if I said I've never done that. I was very guilty of scumming Heavy Rain.

No. Don't do it because the illusion that your choices make a difference dissolves as soon as you play through again. The game is very good about making you feel like you're having an impact on the story, but it's very bad about actually allowing you to have one. Playing again or starting over midway will completely sour the game for you.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

No. Don't do it because the illusion that your choices make a difference dissolves as soon as you play through again. The game is very good about making you feel like you're having an impact on the story, but it's very bad about actually allowing you to have one. Playing again or starting over midway will completely sour the game for you.

Eh I was never under the illusion my choices changed much. All the major events will happen one way or the other, but the way everything reacts to the choices you made is still a thing. In the end the game recognizes what you do and it's very interesting. How you respond to decisions, even if the game doesn't much care, will color(...pun?) your perspective of Lee and the other characters. That's why it's so great.

Feels like the 'no influence' angle of ME3 (ignoring terrible endings) when the rest of the game is very diverse based on how you played judging it by the end points feels silly.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

Ah, yes, that. I really need to get around to playing The Walking Dead instead of letting it rot in my steam library. All I've heard about The Walking Dead says that the story is static and all your decisions do is affect your relationship with other people, right?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The decisions you make in The Walking Dead affect your relationships, yeah, but it's really more about how they affect the player. That's more or less the core "effect" the game is designed to evoke, so undermining that would probably ruin the game for the dude who was asking. He said he felt regret for the decision he made. That's exactly what should be happening.

It's a little different from, say, Fallout or some kind of interactive fiction where your choices can lead to wildly different outcomes because it's not quite a role-playing game. It's more about the player finding out what they would do in said situations, and making them question the morality of their own choices. The game also forces you to play a kind of father figure to another character, which is pretty effective in making people try to do what they consider to be "right" rather than just try to be a different person.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 6, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Is there another game like The Room? I love it and want more.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Walking Dead is a great example of the difference between plot and narrative, which people sometimes confuse. The plot is the same for everyone, you will start and end the journey at the same places, and hit the same major events through the story. Everyone's personal narrative will be different though, and your version of a scene may vary greatly from my version of the same scene.

What makes it one of the greatest (and for some THE greatest) game of last year is that all of the choices you are presented are difficult, there is no "right" path, and despite knowing this you will often regret decisions that you make.

Fazana posted:

Mind me asking why? You opinion about games is usually reasonable but I've been loving nfs when I grabbed it for that price before christmas. The controls are almost as good as Asphalts, the gfx are pretty decent and there seems to be a decent amount of content, hell I even like the way the friend scoring is handled so I can compete with a mate who bought it at the same time.

I guess I'm just getting a little sick of some branches of iOS gaming that seem to be focusing of pushing the graphics to the system's limits and ignoring the fundamentals of gameplay. It's got shiny cars and a ton of polygons all moving around, but it's still just a racing game where you essentially drive along an artificial corridor just dodging a little bit left and right to avoid other cars and the edge of the track. Advanced player input is reduced to drifting (a bit) so that you can earn some nitrous to boost (a bit). I guess that what makes it so bad is that this almost on-rails feel is the type of gameplay we had in racing games 20 years ago and the car handling isn't really compelling enough to justify being locked to these race corridors. There have already been a ton of games like this already on iOS, and early in the platform's life it was easy enough to let it go as the novelty of a 3D-looking racing game on these new devices (especially on phones) meant that old gameplay felt if not fresh, then enough of a novelty at least that it was enough.

Maybe I'm just old. Maybe I've just seen too many of these games. NFS:MW is essentially a 16 Bit-era game with really shiny modern graphics (and it's only avoiding an 8 bit comparison because at least trackside obstacles don't instantly blow up the car). I'd trade all those licensed cars and polygons for a much less detailed game that let me, I don't know, turn around and drive in the other direction once in a while. Takedowns lack impact, so that's not enough of a draw either. It's not lifeless, it's just ... stale, outdated, old. A new game shouldn't feel so antiquated, and I don't care how pretty a game is we know the system, and the franchise on other platforms, is capable of greater ingenuity and design than the "tilt your way through a corridor" action on offer here.

Other opinions are available of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nickoten posted:

The decisions you make in The Walking Dead affect your relationships, yeah, but it's really more about how they affect the player. That's more or less the core "effect" the game is designed to evoke, so undermining that would probably ruin the game for the dude who was asking. He said he felt regret for the decision he made. That's exactly what should be happening.

It's a little different from, say, Fallout or some kind of interactive fiction where your choices can lead to wildly different outcomes because it's not quite a role-playing game. It's more about the player finding out what they would do in said situations, and making them question the morality of their own choices. The game also forces you to play a kind of father figure to another character, which is pretty effective in making people try to do what they consider to be "right" rather than just try to be a different person.

This is all spot on, and exactly why it's such a great experience. I've been reading the comics since issue 10 was released, love the show, but I think the game is the best yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I played through The Walking Dead and regretted many of the decisions I made, but I never wanted to restart because it was my story, and poo poo happens when you have to make decisions without being able to carefully measure every aspect of them. I hate it when the attitude that every consequence must be completely controllable and preventable by the player gets worked into a game - life doesn't work that way.

Also, you can't skip scenes so it's agonizing playing through the game again.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Bottom Liner posted:

This is all spot on, and exactly why it's such a great experience. I've been reading the comics since issue 10 was released, love the show, but I think the game is the best yet.

The game is the best of the three mediums that is tackling the same story because it was a complete and self-contained story. The TV show, and to a greater extent the comic book, are not as good because of their ongoing nature. I actually gave up on the comic around issue 70 as it was pretty clear that even after 6 years Robert Kirkman had no idea where he was going with the story. It was never bad, just meandering and directionless. There's only so long you can get away with making it up as you go along.

It remains one of the great truisms of writing, that you need to know the ending of the story before you write the beginning so you know if it's going to be worth the journey for you and for the audience. The game nailed the ending. Boy did it nail the ending.

I'm so happy that game exists, and that it did so well critically and commercially. It's the torchbearer for good storytelling, and the importance of good storytelling, and it will have a knock-on effect to the rest of the industry. We need games like this to raise people's expectations and shake devs out of the "good enough" mentality when it comes to game writing.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Nickoten posted:

Basically this. If you play through with different choices you'll no longer be feeling all the regret, and anxiety, and stress. You'll just be feeling 'beep boop videogames choice = 1'.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'll take the hint, plough on and accept my decision :)

Necroneocon posted:

Is there another game like The Room? I love it and want more.

Playing it most reminded me of Myst and Riven, but the puzzles in those games require a lot more world exploration to solve and I think (though it's been a while) were a fair bit more obtuse. Having just checked though, those games are non-universal iPhone only. There is realMyst for iPad but I never played that version.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

nucleicmaxid posted:

It's their second best game after Grand Prix Story IMO, which you should also get.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Froist posted:

Thanks for the discussion guys. I'll take the hint, plough on and accept my decision :)

Playing it most reminded me of Myst and Riven, but the puzzles in those games require a lot more world exploration to solve and I think (though it's been a while) were a fair bit more obtuse. Having just checked though, those games are non-universal iPhone only. There is realMyst for iPad but I never played that version.

It's probably unlikely but I'd love to see actual world exploration vs. just puzzle boxes in part 2.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I preferred the focus on the puzzle boxes. Sometimes I just want great puzzles with a story focus without having to spend all this time navigating between scenes to get what I need to solve them. The clever mechanical and aesthetic design of the puzzles in The Room is what makes it work.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

There's a new Battleheart clone out, Sci-Fi Heroes. It's not great, has some slow down and rather long load times on a 4, but... whatever, more Battleheart-like gameplay and I'm totally okay with that. It's also free and loaded with iap. Battleheart 2 can't come soon enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd like to enjoy Rad Soldiers more, but every menu in the game seems to ping back to the server and it fails fairly often. That and long load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Daveski posted:

My SO has some sort of bizarre obsession with proofing, so thanks for this.

Even though I don't even sort of get it.

• Locked thread