Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What's this "_ sighed and drew his Katana" phrase, that I see pop up in threads from time to time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mister Macys posted:

What's this "_ sighed and drew his Katana" phrase, that I see pop up in threads from time to time?

Seems to be from this GOP fanfiction.

Part III posted:

Reagan chose to ignore the address, instead turning to the audience. Pointing at the nominee, Reagan boomed "This is the man you have selected? This is the man you think will defeat the Democrats at this trying hour? This is the man you think can lead this nation to glory it deserves? This self-proclaimed maverick?"

McCain quickly threw off his surprise, objecting "My policies are in line with the party's! Abortion, immigration, campaign finance reform, the religious right, torture, all my positions now fit it! I am a Republican. I'm loyal to the party of Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. Why wouldn't I be best?"

Reagan spun around and stared into McCain's eyes. "Because, you intend to commit treason."

"This is ridiculous! Who are you? What gives you the right to make such claims?"

"You intend to commit treason on behalf of the communists, as you were compelled to when you were captured in Vietnam."

"No! I hate the gooks! I will hate them for as long as I live!"

"I don't blame you for your purposes, you remained oblivious to them. They brainwashed you. Now it's up to you to do the right thing. Serve this country and step down."

"I worked years to get where I am! After so many set-backs, I'm finally given this opportunity! I will not yield. I will not flinch. I will fight. Fight! FIGHT!"

"Then I will have to take you down myself," Reagan sighed as he drew his katana.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

"Do you speak English/French/Spanish/etc.?" is the way we phrase the question, even if what we mean is "Do you understand ____?" Like if I was watching a French DVD with no English subtitles, you might say, "Oh, I didn't know you spoke French" even though speaking has nothing to do with watching a DVD.

I know they do the same (speak=understand) in Spanish, French, German and Italian. Do other languages use the same/similar word choice when asking about knowledge/understanding of a language? For example: Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any others not already mentioned really.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
In Japanese, there are three common ways of asking this, in no particular order:

1. Can you speak XXXX?(~を話せますか?)

2. Do you understand XXXX?(~がわかりますか?)

3. Can you do XXXX?(~ができますか?)

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 4, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
You know that new Star Wars X-wing Miniatures board game that everyone is going nuts over and that's expensive as all gently caress? Is there a similar game that doesn't cost as much? It would be cheaper to buy crack rocks and have space battles with them.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Is there a good book/website with a detailed history of the phone company? I was reading the obsolete technology thread, and some of the stories about being forced to lease phones, not being allowed to hook up answering machines, etc. made me want to read more about the historical reasons why we had a phone monopoly for so long, and what the effects of that were.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

You can start with the wikipedia article on Bell Systems.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Noni posted:

You know that new Star Wars X-wing Miniatures board game that everyone is going nuts over and that's expensive as all gently caress? Is there a similar game that doesn't cost as much? It would be cheaper to buy crack rocks and have space battles with them.

We have our very own board game thread that you can ask in but I do not know of any cheaper alternatives that are any good. If you are into playing board games though read that thread. There are a LOT of good games out there right now.

Edit - opps quoted wrong person.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

greazeball posted:

"Do you speak English/French/Spanish/etc.?" is the way we phrase the question, even if what we mean is "Do you understand ____?" Like if I was watching a French DVD with no English subtitles, you might say, "Oh, I didn't know you spoke French" even though speaking has nothing to do with watching a DVD.

I know they do the same (speak=understand) in Spanish, French, German and Italian. Do other languages use the same/similar word choice when asking about knowledge/understanding of a language? For example: Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Chinese, Japanese, Korean or any others not already mentioned really.

Russian does too but, like anything, it's situational. When I first started learning it and was hanging out with Russian people they would sometimes stop and ask me, "Do you understand?"

Wotan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 4, 2013

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Penguissimo posted:

Is there a good book/website with a detailed history of the phone company? I was reading the obsolete technology thread, and some of the stories about being forced to lease phones, not being allowed to hook up answering machines, etc. made me want to read more about the historical reasons why we had a phone monopoly for so long, and what the effects of that were.

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3246&context=lcp [PDF]
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/09/how-att-conquered-the-20th-century/
http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/150/1870.xhtml
http://www.mikundan.com/Portfolio/winstaru/WUContents/courses/intro/1history1.htm

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Capt. Morgan posted:

You can start with the wikipedia article on Bell Systems.

Awesome, thanks guys!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a good (possibly online) program I can use to track the amount of money I'm taking in and the amount im spending, and what i'm spending it on?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Avocados posted:

Is there a good (possibly online) program I can use to track the amount of money I'm taking in and the amount im spending, and what i'm spending it on?

https://www.mint.com/ for online
quicken for offline

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

There were these awesome paintings I saw on the internet a few years ago that I lost. They are of the nose-art girls on WWII planes come to life, flying alongside the plane in question. The two that stood out to me were a woman with jaws painted on her face like the flying tigers paint job, and a tattooed Japanese girl floating next to her sunk plane. My boss is a WWII nut and talking to him reminded me of them. They were so beautifully done that its driving my crazy that I can't find them.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

Tasty_Crayon posted:

There were these awesome paintings I saw on the internet a few years ago that I lost. They are of the nose-art girls on WWII planes come to life, flying alongside the plane in question. The two that stood out to me were a woman with jaws painted on her face like the flying tigers paint job, and a tattooed Japanese girl floating next to her sunk plane. My boss is a WWII nut and talking to him reminded me of them. They were so beautifully done that its driving my crazy that I can't find them.

check http://gangus.cgsociety.org/gallery/

http://gangus.cgsociety.org/gallery/496735/ fits the jaws description.

Edit: this one is pretty cool too: http://gangus.cgsociety.org/gallery/398685/

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I was recently given an older 46 inch busted JVC. It looks like this:

Any idea what exactly is wrong with it or how much it would cost to repair?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That's the guy! Thanks!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

fuckpot posted:

There is a depressing lack of Simpson's quotes on youtube. Has a big index of Simpson's quotes been attempted before but Fox has taken them down?

Pretty much. The only ones I ever see are upside down or reversed, or in another language, something like that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Douche Bag posted:

The screen is busted and it'll cost more than a new, better TV to fix it. If it's even fixable.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Douche Bag posted:

Screen is cracked, it's going to cost you about the same amount as the TV

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Nevermind.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 5, 2013

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Douche Bag posted:

Who gave this to you? Now you're just disposing of it for them for free (judging from the other responses). I hope they had good intentions.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

How do I send a message to an entire Facebook group? Is that still even a thing I can do?

I figure I can always just create an event and invite the whole group (oh god, can I even do that?) as a workaround for getting information out, if nothing else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FadingChord posted:

How do I send a message to an entire Facebook group? Is that still even a thing I can do?

I figure I can always just create an event and invite the whole group (oh god, can I even do that?) as a workaround for getting information out, if nothing else.

Can you not just post on the group's wall?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

FadingChord posted:

It looks to me like only group admins can message the whole group.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a simple way to remove audio/subtitle streams from mkv files? How about adding subtitle streams from srt files? Or do I have to re-encode the entire thing to do that?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Amelia Song posted:

It looks to me like only group admins can message the whole group.

I'm a group admin; I just can't find the button in the new groups layout. Somebody make me feel stupid, please.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

tarepanda posted:

Is there a simple way to remove audio/subtitle streams from mkv files? How about adding subtitle streams from srt files? Or do I have to re-encode the entire thing to do that?

MKVToolNix
Run the GUI program. Add your mkv and srt files as input files, then you can remove or rearrange the tracks and remux.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EDIT: Nvm I'll just make an E/N thread.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2013

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Dudebro posted:

Who gave this to you? Now you're just disposing of it for them for free (judging from the other responses). I hope they had good intentions.

They, like me, thought it might be fixable :downs:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Turtlicious posted:

What age do people stop getting Christmas / Birthday gifts? I just read/participated in a convo that made me re-think an assumption I had which was that once you were a teen all gifts stop. Is this not the norm?

I guess nobody loves you.

(The hell? I spent 300 bucks on Christmas this year, and I'm broke as gently caress. Giving people you love stuff is the best.)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

What's this from?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

What age do people stop getting Christmas / Birthday gifts? I just read/participated in a convo that made me re-think an assumption I had which was that once you were a teen all gifts stop. Is this not the norm?

For birthdays, there probably comes a point when family (except parents and some tenacious aunts/uncles/grandparents) isn't really involved in any sort of gathering. When you stop blowing out candles on pony cakes to the sound of applause and start wanting to go to the mall, hang out with friends, or simply sink through the floor, birthday gifts from family die a natural death.

Christmas is a little more complicated in my experience with my own family and being an interloper with several others throughout the last decade. Everyone brings gifts for the kids of the family. If they don't, someone will probably cover for them and put their name on a gift. I've seen it many times over--this is when parents can teach their kids to pay attention to who gave what, and to remember to thank them for it no matter what, so you don't want to be the odd one out...do you? :smith:

So you drat well better bring those gifts or arrange a collaboration/pure lie ahead of time. This lasts until they're in high school, nearly done with high school, or whenever they became too cool for happiness and gratitude and just want cash and to be left alone. Then across the board they seem to get weaned off from presents with gift cards, checks, and maybe some "oh poo poo find something to wrap quick" things. Parents keep buying for their own kids. Adult kids keep buying for their own parents or get the siblings to pool funds for something really nice.

For the rest, if the holiday isn't just about food or singing carols together or watching TV or playing games, I think adults--siblings and maybe cousins, aunts, uncles, etc--seem to get into drawing names so they get just one nice gift for whoever they draw. Easy on finances, and cuts last-minute boxed chocolate, tube sock, and random kitchen appliance gifts down by maybe 75%. Also popular seems to be the white elephant gift exchange where several mystery presents get chosen one-by-one by participants, unwrapped to joy or horror, and eventually traded or stolen for something someone else got.

Disclaimer: I am not a gift expert, etiquette maven, or even particularly well-adjusted. But I've been to a billion family Christmas parties of many shapes and sizes, God help me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Liebfraumilch posted:

whenever they became too cool for happiness and gratitude and just want cash and to be left alone.

I read your post twice to try to figure out why I liked it so much and this line right here is the reason.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In Excel, I've generated a column of numbers using a formula rather than manually typed values. I want to copy and paste this column into another spreadsheet, but it all comes up as zeros because it's still a formula and the input data is not there. How can I copy the results?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

In Excel, I've generated a column of numbers using a formula rather than manually typed values. I want to copy and paste this column into another spreadsheet, but it all comes up as zeros because it's still a formula and the input data is not there. How can I copy the results?

Create a new page in the first workbook.
Copy the column you want.
Go to your new page, select paste special->paste as values.
Copy the values.
Paste in your 2nd workbook.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
What's a good gift for someone you don't know, that doesn't drink alcohol? For a 24-year old girl? Only something small, that I can get at short notice. My first thought was like fancy soap but I've just been told that the suggestion of her using it in the shower makes it inappropriate coming from a stranger (I think this is bullshit). How about like a nice, scented candle?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

When people talk about using ear protection for loud concerts, is there anything in particular you're looking for or are all earplugs the same? And while I'm on this note, is there a way they're supposed to be used beyond "shove in ear?"

I don't think I've ever really worn an earplug. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been to many loud concerts.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hoops posted:

What's a good gift for someone you don't know, that doesn't drink alcohol? For a 24-year old girl? Only something small, that I can get at short notice. My first thought was like fancy soap but I've just been told that the suggestion of her using it in the shower makes it inappropriate coming from a stranger (I think this is bullshit). How about like a nice, scented candle?

Everybody needs a good umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hoops posted:

How about a nice unscented candle? Why do they all smell like a tire fire in a candy store?

Other ideas:

Some nice tea or coffee mugs
A non-nerdy boardgame (like Settlers of Catan or Pictionary)

Why are you expected to bring a gift to a 24-year old stranger?