Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

pile of brown, why were you near a homeless man's dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's like bushmeat, but more underground.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Someone did talk to the dog's owner; the fact that everything he said was lies influenced my decision. It wasn't me because I was dressing the wound in my hand (the dogs teeth flayed strips out of my fingers and they bled alot), but he copied down onto paper what he said was the dogs license number and vaccintion ID but neither was on file with county animal services (the people who issue those numbers) I also did some googling; rabies is rare but not unheard of and I live in a semirural area with plenty of wild things like oposssums, bats and other common vectors for rabies. The county animal services reported that there have been infected dogs in our area in the last ten years. You're totally free to not ever get vaccinated for rabies though if you ever get bit by a wild animal, I just wasn't willing to gamble when the choices are 99% dont get sick 1% death.

Steakandchips: He tied it to the door at my (then) place of employment. And it looked friendly so I petted it on my way in. :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's like bushmeat, but more underground.

You raise your own eatin' hounds, don't you?

Cottage pie without peas on the side just ain't cottage pie. (Even if it is vegetarian).

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

You raise your own eatin' hounds, don't you?

Ain't called a chow for nuthin.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Didn't some cat survive rabies once? If some pussy cat survived rabies clearly a well-fed human should be able to shrug it off like the common cold.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Someone did talk to the dog's owner; the fact that everything he said was lies influenced my decision. It wasn't me because I was dressing the wound in my hand (the dogs teeth flayed strips out of my fingers and they bled alot), but he copied down onto paper what he said was the dogs license number and vaccintion ID but neither was on file with county animal services (the people who issue those numbers) I also did some googling; rabies is rare but not unheard of and I live in a semirural area with plenty of wild things like oposssums, bats and other common vectors for rabies. The county animal services reported that there have been infected dogs in our area in the last ten years. You're totally free to not ever get vaccinated for rabies though if you ever get bit by a wild animal, I just wasn't willing to gamble when the choices are 99% dont get sick 1% death.

Steakandchips: He tied it to the door at my (then) place of employment. And it looked friendly so I petted it on my way in. :(

I'm with you, man. I think rabies is the worst possible way to die.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
The homeless guy wouldn't be able to tie the dog up if it were rabid. Rabid dogs won't let you get close to them at all until they jump at you and attack. They do not look friendly in any way.

But hey, better safe than sorry. Hopefully you get a good discount for paying cash instead of going through insurance.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

pile of brown posted:

it looked friendly so
No. Never do this. You know this now, but holy poo poo this is one thing that was drilled into my (and everyone else I know) head from the moment we could comprehend what an animal was: If you don't know it, don't try to touch it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

This, basically. Never ever ever touch an animal you don't know. If you must touch, ask it's owner first. Although they can also lie like bastards and their "super friendly"dog is really some hellbeast with a taste for blood.

On topic, I found the perfect nutmeg to cinnamon ratio in my homemade cocoa mix. Awww yes.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Eeyo posted:

Didn't some cat survive rabies once? If some pussy cat survived rabies clearly a well-fed human should be able to shrug it off like the common cold.

There was a little girl in south america who survived it once, but I believe that was a different strain of rabies that's less deadly.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

hoboerotic posted:

There was a little girl in south america who survived it once, but I believe that was a different strain of rabies that's less deadly.

I don't know whether that's true or not, but Jeanna Giese is the first human to have survived rabies without a vaccine before or after infection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_protocol

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

gently caress 2012. I don't ever want to go to 5 family funerals in one year ever again. I started to wonder whether my boss would even believe me the last couple of times, it was so outlandish. My good friend's father's funeral took place too quickly for them to notify people, or I would have been at that one, too. I have high hopes for 2013, namely that no-one else I know or love dies.

Kenning posted:

So I'm pretty much convinced that lentils are the perfect party food. I made like 2.5 quarts of lentil dip for New Year's and it all got destroyed. Lentils, garlic, cumin/coriander/fennel/mustard, chopped parsley, and the juice of a lime. Eat it all night.

Proportions, please!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When I got my first smartphone two years ago, I downloaded the Awful App, and deleted it after an hour. The standard Android browser works just fine, I'm genuinely surprised that so many of you use the app.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I got my first smartphone two years ago, I downloaded the Awful App, and deleted it after an hour. The standard Android browser works just fine, I'm genuinely surprised that so many of you use the app.

Congratulations on being old and crotchety I guess. I resisted the app for a long time but it's way better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The awful betamax app is waaaay better than using a browser.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
None of the forums apps ever do PMs so I never use them.

I talk to people by SA forums PMs yes...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FishBulb posted:

Awful Betamax does PMs just fine.

And the browser is pretty terrible on my old rear end Android. Just my opinion, Squashy, but I'd recommend giving it another shot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look you kids, when I was your age and we wanted a forum we communicated by writing messages on actual physical boards. Hundreds of people would see the same message in a day and if they wanted to reply in a way that others could see they'd write a message on the same board as well or if they wanted a private dialogue they'd call the phone number attached to the message. It worked anywhere and we didn't have to worry about features being there or not or whether the interface was convenient or anything. We called it... what was it called? Oh yeah, a public restroom

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Eat This Glob posted:

Awful Betamax does PMs just fine.

And the browser is pretty terrible on my old rear end Android. Just my opinion, Squashy, but I'd recommend giving it another shot.

How old is that one its been a few months since I've tried any.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That Girl posted:

gently caress 2012. I don't ever want to go to 5 family funerals in one year ever again. I started to wonder whether my boss would even believe me the last couple of times, it was so outlandish. My good friend's father's funeral took place too quickly for them to notify people, or I would have been at that one, too. I have high hopes for 2013, namely that no-one else I know or love dies.

Proportions, please!

Oh man. Uh, okay, so it was 3 cups of dried green lentils and 6 cups of water, which I simmered with 3 bay leaves and a few chicken stock ice cubes until the lentils were soft. Then I blended/food processed it with about 3/4 of a bulb of garlic (so like 10-14 cloves — it was garlicky as gently caress), and several heaping pinches of a spice mix that was probably 1 part fennel, 1 part coriander, 2 parts mustard and 4 or 5 parts cumin (toasted, ground in a molcajete). During the blending process I incorporated as much as 2 cups (I was sort of eyeballing it) of the leftover cooking fluid, added several very large sprinkles of kosher salt, and the juice of one lime, along with two hefty glugs of nice olive oil. Oh yes, and most of a bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped.

I served it with tortilla chips, but pita chips would have been awesome as well. Or hell, just some pita bread.

edit: Oh yeah, to clarify – I drained the lentils, then reused some of the cooking liquid. I didn't just boil+blend.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 4, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

FishBulb posted:

So how do you like being awkward?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ugh. Water pipe going into the barn burst tonight. We spent over an hour in -5F weather getting the drat thing closed off. I'm so cold I don't think I'll thaw until spring comes around.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FishBulb posted:

How old is that one its been a few months since I've tried any.

Dunno for sure. I installed it in the summer, I think.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Ugh. Water pipe going into the barn burst tonight. We spent over an hour in -5F weather getting the drat thing closed off. I'm so cold I don't think I'll thaw until spring comes around.

Couldn't shut down the well?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Neither app is doing sweet gently caress all on the iPhone. Gonna stick with chrome for iPhone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

Neither app is doing sweet gently caress all on the iPhone. Gonna stick with chrome for iPhone.

The update has been in with Apple for a while, now.

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

Kenning posted:

Oh man. Uh, okay, so it was 3 cups of dried green lentils and 6 cups of water, which I simmered with 3 bay leaves and a few chicken stock ice cubes until the lentils were soft. Then I blended/food processed it with about 3/4 of a bulb of garlic (so like 10-14 cloves — it was garlicky as gently caress), and several heaping pinches of a spice mix that was probably 1 part fennel, 1 part coriander, 2 parts mustard and 4 or 5 parts cumin (toasted, ground in a molcajete). During the blending process I incorporated as much as 2 cups (I was sort of eyeballing it) of the leftover cooking fluid, added several very large sprinkles of kosher salt, and the juice of one lime, along with two hefty glugs of nice olive oil. Oh yes, and most of a bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped.

I served it with tortilla chips, but pita chips would have been awesome as well. Or hell, just some pita bread.

edit: Oh yeah, to clarify – I drained the lentils, then reused some of the cooking liquid. I didn't just boil+blend.

Oh wow, that was more specific than I'd expected, thanks!

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
A family member just tried to tell me I can't serve roasted leg of lamb and gumbo at my post-holiday family dinner for the people who couldn't visit sooner.

Too drat late! The lamb is about to go in the oven and the gumbo is simmering, and I will serve whatever I drat well please when I have to do all the cooking.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Lamb is like a cross-cuisine bridge. I'd understand if it you were serving pork.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, who the hell doesn't like lamb?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Me :( Lamb has an off flavor that makes me dry heave. I had rack of lamb once as a kid that I really liked, but every time since then I can't get past a couple bites. I wish I liked it. Are there milder cuts or places of origin that can help me get acclimated?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Skinny King Pimp posted:

People who have had crappy really gamy lamb.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Swedes. Never could understand why, they eat all sorts of strong-tasting stuff but they never could dig on a good bit of mutton. The only exception in their national cuisine is fårfiol, smoked leg of lamb, and even that is somewhat unusual.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Koreans don't like lamb much either, from what I've seen.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Oh hey, a somewhat serious update on life stuff...

I'm quitting tomorrow!

- Wife has asked me to take time out to walk the Camino, by myself - she will handle stuff at home while it happens. I am considering it.
- I have applied for a job in Greenland that I really want
- I have a job interview tuesday as the CIO of a medium sized company, that I really want
- My present company will not accept lightly that I quit

I think beautiful things are about to happen!

Facebook friends: Please don't comment on this on facebook, as various people I am connected to through there are unaware, and should remain so for a while longer while the vp at work get's through his stages of grief.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's awesome!

May I ask why you're quitting?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
The answer to that is pretty complex actually..

Fatigue..
A desire not to fire anyone anymore..
Need for new horizons..
Being 40..
Wanting to do something else..

I have calculated that with an average work week of 40 hours, I now have worked enough to be 54, and it shows..

Wanting to spend more time with the kids..
Actually liking my wife enough to spend time with her..
Betting on her career for a while (she is upper echelon at another company)..
Wanting to go to Greenland (lived there for a while, always wanted to go back)..
Starting a company..
Writing..
Walking (been wanting to do Via Francigena, and El Camino is a good warm-up for that)..
Being tired of all the political bullshittery and rambunctioness of upper echelons..

and finally having an option to opt out now, which most likely will not present itself ever again..

The cons are all monetary and renumerative in nature, and gently caress that!

Edit: Some spelling fixed, because...

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 6, 2013

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Cons: Greenland :v

Just kidding, good luck dude!

Also: You guys have eachother on facebook? I feel so left out! >:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

The answer to that is pretty complex actually..

Fatigue..
A desire not to fire anyone anymore..
Need for new horizons..
Being 40..
Wanting to do something else..

I have calculated that with an average work week of 40 hours, I now have worked enough to be 54, and it shows..

Wanting to spend more time with the kids..
Actually liking my wife enough to spend time with her..
Betting on her career for a while (she is upper echelon at another company)..
Wanting to go to Greenland (lived there for a while, always wanted to go back)..
Starting a company..
Writing..
Walking (been wanting to do Via Francigena, and El Camino is a good warm-up for that)..
Being tired of all the political bullshittery and rambunctioness of upper echelons..

and finally having an option to opt out now, which most likely will not present itself ever again..

The cons are all monetary and renumerative in nature, and gently caress that!

Edit: Some spelling fixed, because...

Is this the job you've had for a while? You decided not to take that other offer?

I think you should wander the world for a while, visiting all the GWS goons.