Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What about this episode does everyone not like? I was expecting something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Andorra posted:

What about this episode does everyone not like? I was expecting something terrible.
It's just an incredibly boring game compared to most of the other games Arino has played for the show.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Novasol posted:

This game. Man, gently caress this game.

... still going to watch immediately, though.
Haha, poo poo, wasn't it you who LPed this game waaaaay back?

I gotta say, though, I'm really curious about the PC(?) version. The screenshot that got posted looks ridiculous.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Obeast posted:

It's just an incredibly boring game compared to most of the other games Arino has played for the show.

Pretty much this. It's more entertaining to watch him struggle with a hard game (or even just any game that has action) compared to something like this. It put him to sleep, for gently caress's sake! It may also be the problem with games like this and Link to the Past - the games are so long that a lot of parts are skipped over when they're condensed to an hour or so, so you don't see as many of his struggles since they have a lot of footage to edit down. I was also kinda disappointed at the lack of Inoko MAX but "His first helpful contribution in five challenges!" made me laugh.

At least the Tamage was great. Abe arguing with the store owner over the value of those stamps was fantastic.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
about time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Shock Trooper posted:

At least the Tamage was great. Abe arguing with the store owner over the value of those stamps was fantastic.

Highlight of the episode IMO.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Highlight of the episode IMO.

It was a great Tamage. I actually laughed out loud when Arino went "They're not even listening!"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 6, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know, I didn't find this episode/game to be any more boring than other text-heavy challenges like Night of the Sickle Weasel or Hokkaido Serial Murder. For my money, the absolute worst/most boring challenge is still Famicom Jump. Talk about a game that has absolutely nothing interesting going on in it.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

If you guys like watching people play old(ish) videogames, SpeedDemosArchive is doing another live charity marathon right now.

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, I didn't find this episode/game to be any more boring than other text-heavy challenges like Night of the Sickle Weasel or Hokkaido Serial Murder. For my money, the absolute worst/most boring challenge is still Famicom Jump. Talk about a game that has absolutely nothing interesting going on in it.

Even though I've mostly grown used to it, the Americanized names/text (I can understand not using the Japanese name for the Percy guy, but hearing 'King Onion' and seeing whatever his American name was, was pretty grating) bothered me again in this episode. I really don't think this game was well-known enough to warrant that treatment, and I think there's plenty of places to go if people want to see the American versions of games played but not as many for seeing the Japanese versions of things, but I don't really want to start another argument about it.

Dr. Psychobabble
Jun 14, 2009
Thank you very much for translating this infamous episode!

The game portions were bland as expected, Arino trying hard to make jokes whenever he could.
But as it has already been pointed out, the Tamage is great. Specially that one highlight.
The "Aces" segment was also enjoyable as usual, but every time Arino shakes the boxes I cringe... Those are precious old consoles, you know!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

Thank you very much for translating this infamous episode!

The game portions were bland as expected, Arino trying hard to make jokes whenever he could.
But as it has already been pointed out, the Tamage is great. Specially that one highlight.
The "Aces" segment was also enjoyable as usual, but every time Arino shakes the boxes I cringe... Those are precious old consoles, you know!

They don't say it but presumably it's Kibe's old console! I can just imagine him wincing off camera...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Putting Kibe through hell is always funny.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Kibe does seem like a cat person.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The whole Aces of Hardware segment might as well have been Kibe's Corner. Look at their system selection: Sega Master System, Sega SG-1000, Sega Game Gear, and then if they have time for it they'll do the 3do, Cassettevision, and Puter. I suppose it could be that Sega had more failed hardware than anyone but it really feels like Kibe just wanted to show off his collection.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

What was Kibe talking about when he was telling Arino about the indentations on the cartridge?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

What was Kibe talking about when he was telling Arino about the indentations on the cartridge?

He was talking about the packaging design.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Was this the text heavy episode you were hinting at?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Was this the text heavy episode you were hinting at?

Yes. The entire interface had to be reworked every time it appeared on screen so that it was clear what Arino was doing at the time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Random Stranger posted:

Sega had more failed hardware than anyone

Yep. :(

RIP Nomad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Doc Hawkins posted:

RIP Nomad.

I love my Nomad, it was incredibly handy as long as you never expected to use it on battery power. That thing could kill 6 AAs in like 40 minutes.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Doc Hawkins posted:

RIP Nomad.
And the Dreamcast... :smith: I know it's probably Sega's most popular failed console, but drat was that had some amazing games on it. At least Sega hasn't forgotten about it and is re-releasing games from it's library, so it's not all bad. Now, if Capcom can get their heads out of their asses and re-release Power Stone, then I'll be really okay. :)

I've never played a Saturn, but from what I've heard, that was a pretty great console as well.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 7, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The J-Wiki article on Kibe says that as of 2008 he owns 21 game consoles.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Saturn was pretty bad in the US, but the line-up was solid in Japan. The Dreamcast had a pretty great lineup worldwide thanks to Sega's arcade hardware.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Lifespan posted:

The Saturn was pretty bad in the US, but the line-up was solid in Japan. The Dreamcast had a pretty great lineup worldwide thanks to Sega's arcade hardware.

The Saturn was certainly superior in Japan, but Id have a really hard time saying it was bad in the US.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just realized this Princess Tomato episode uses a bit of Inuyasha music bits... :stare:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

I think that's what I owned in 2002. :retrogames:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Haha, poo poo, wasn't it you who LPed this game waaaaay back?

Random Stranger posted:

The whole Aces of Hardware segment might as well have been Kibe's Corner. Look at their system selection: Sega Master System, Sega SG-1000, Sega Game Gear, and then if they have time for it they'll do the 3do, Cassettevision, and Puter. I suppose it could be that Sega had more failed hardware than anyone but it really feels like Kibe just wanted to show off his collection.

Is it my imagination, or has this exact same Aces segment been used in another episode? Because I definitely remember seeing it :psyduck:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You're probably thinking of the clip show episode after Arino got back from medical leave. I remember that had a few re-run Aces of Hardware segments.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Novasol posted:

Is it my imagination, or has this exact same Aces segment been used in another episode? Because I definitely remember seeing it :psyduck:

It was rerun in the Cannes Film Festival episode, which we released a long time ago.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

That actually seems low for a serious collector. I counted up about 17 consoles that I own, and most of those I bought new and just hung on to. I think the only manufacturers I have more than two consoles each from are Nintendo and Atari. If I started to fill in gaps, I could hit 30 easy.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Got my beautiful sparkly pins today! Thanks Chococat.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

UP AND ADAM posted:

Got my beautiful sparkly pins today! Thanks Chococat.

Same here. They're an ever better quality than I expected too. Thanks Chococat!

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I ran through Princess Tomato in like a day and a half after getting it back in October, and I feel like a huge nerd for enjoying it way more than Arino did. :negative:

I feel like they could've done more with the game if they were going for comedy. They didn't even feature that terrifying-looking alcoholic bunch of grapes in the resistance compound, did they?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

kimpira posted:

I feel like they could've done more with the game if they were going for comedy. They didn't even feature that terrifying-looking alcoholic bunch of grapes in the resistance compound, did they?

Oh god, Grapey. It always scared me how he drinks grape juice...

I'm guessing Arino didn't have any interesting reactions to even to some of the more bizarre moments. Producer Kan said the episode was unsalvageable.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Got my pins today too, thanks~!

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Oh god, Grapey. It always scared me how he drinks grape juice...

I'm guessing Arino didn't have any interesting reactions to even to some of the more bizarre moments. Producer Kan said the episode was unsalvageable.

It just strikes me as an odd choice. I mean, there's little to no challenge involved in clearing the game, it's definitely more of a journey/atmosphere kinda thing. I guess they wanted to go easy on him after Super Ghouls n Ghosts? Still, the skit sections were fun as hell and it was kinda funny seeing Arino's tolerance level dropping the longer the challenge went on!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pulled Pork posted:

It just strikes me as an odd choice. I mean, there's little to no challenge involved in clearing the game, it's definitely more of a journey/atmosphere kinda thing. I guess they wanted to go easy on him after Super Ghouls n Ghosts? Still, the skit sections were fun as hell and it was kinda funny seeing Arino's tolerance level dropping the longer the challenge went on!

I think they thought since the game was goofy and less pressure that Arino would have more funny comments to make about it. Instead he was just as bored of it as we were watching and just wanted to get it done.

They give away the game and a business card at the end of each episode x all the seasons, plus the chief has done autograph signings... is it unusual that nobody resells them? Its not often that the statue is on ebay (too rich for my blood) but I havent seen anything with his signature pop up... and I want one.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Gutcruncher posted:

The Saturn was certainly superior in Japan, but Id have a really hard time saying it was bad in the US.

Given its reputation as an arcade-at-home powerhouse, there were a pathetic amount of ports released here. I guess it makes sense, though, since arcades in the US were dead by then. At least Taito was brave enough to put out the only two shmups - Darius Gaiden (meh) and Galactic Attack (friggin awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ofecks posted:

Darius Gaiden (meh)

:frogout:

Darius Gaiden was great.