Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

kthegreat posted:

I just bought Knights of the Old Republic 2 off of Steam, is there any advice for this game besides obviously installing the Sith Lords Restored Content Mod?
Play a male character. Each gender gets one exclusive companion, and the female companion is boring and irrelevant as gently caress.

You get the kill xp if one neutral (or even hostile) NPC kills another. I think there's like one spot where that really matters, but don't be in a hurry to break up fights between NPC mobs for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just picked up White Knight Chronicles 2, I know i'm an rear end in a top hat for buying it, but does anyone have any tips for starting out, preferably not along the lines of 'play a better game'. I heard the skill system wasn't very well explained in-game, so any hints for that would be greatly appreciated

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Vadun posted:

Force speed is amazing, powerattack is pretty bad. Dual pistols with the right light side buffs is the best way to break the game
And for those who prefer to go all space-wizards, Force Lightning is another great way to break the game. It's good to have at least one completely overpowered ability, because the final (mostly unfinished) chapter is full of meaningless high-level trash mobs so having a win button will make it a lot more tolerable.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

NihilCredo posted:

And for those who prefer to go all space-wizards, Force Lightning is another great way to break the game. It's good to have at least one completely overpowered ability, because the final (mostly unfinished) chapter is full of meaningless high-level trash mobs so having a win button will make it a lot more tolerable.

KOTOR 2 is so easy, it's difficult to not break the game by the end. There are 3-4 fights that are difficult, maybe 2-3 more if you have an iffy build, but in general it's probably the easiest video game I've ever played.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Just picked up White Knight Chronicles 2, I know i'm an rear end in a top hat for buying it, but does anyone have any tips for starting out, preferably not along the lines of 'play a better game'. I heard the skill system wasn't very well explained in-game, so any hints for that would be greatly appreciated

- The existing page has a lot of useful stuff, but beyond that:

- Completing all the sidequests you can is a phenomenal way to stay equipped. Some of them are very grindy, but there's often ones which just involve talking to some people that will give you some extremely up-to-date gear, partially meant to help people push their way through the first half.

- Wiki says combos aren't useful but I have to admit that I liked having a quick two-skill combo around for general spam purposes, especially early-game where that'll basically kill something.

- There's a free respec at the wine merchants where you start - smack the training dummy around. This will work up to level thirty-something.

- At higher levels, you'll want to be picking up all the stats you can from the other weapon trees. Weapon-switching is fiddly and kind of pointless compared to stats stats stats.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Picked up Deus Ex HR for the 360. Having never played any Deus Ex, I'd appreciate any tips worthwhile :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Didion posted:

Picked up Deus Ex HR for the 360. Having never played any Deus Ex, I'd appreciate any tips worthwhile :)

Keep in mind that this game is pretty different from the first game(I've never played the second but I hear it's a touch more like HR. critically reviled, though), but basically:

-Sneaking gets you a lot of XP. Like, a LOT. A sneaky, mostly pacifistic run is actually much easier than a manshoot run.
-The boss fights are pretty lovely, but they mostly all have cheeses that you can do to end them quickly. You can also just take the typhoon aug and that will get you through them as well. If you're playing a straight up manshoot Jensen you probably won't have problems in the first place.
-Take the strength aug.
-If an aug seems totally useless, just trust that it's totally useless. For instance, the analyze augs for hacking. Completely worthless.
-Every single bit of gameplay counts if you want the achievement for total pacifism, including the prologue tutorial thing.
-Other than that it's not particularly easy to screw up. You can honestly just ignore my tips and play how you want, this is just how I(and most people, seemingly) think the game is best played for a smooth run. There's some fun stuff you can do if you stray outside these bounds.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Didion posted:

Don't linger too long in the office after the prologue. Get a move on, you can explore the place later at your leisure.

You will be asked to report in for an upgrade to your cyber implants later on. You don't have to do it and it will make a boss fight harder.

You can save Malik.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stelas posted:

- Completing all the sidequests you can is a phenomenal way to stay equipped. Some of them are very grindy, but there's often ones which just involve talking to some people that will give you some extremely up-to-date gear, partially meant to help people push their way through the first half.

I should clarify this. There are quests and there's what is known as "Errands". Errands are simple little tasks you'll find dozens of in any given town, with more that show up through the game. These are usually nothing more than "Go talk to NPC X" or "Bring me this much of Material Y". Quests need to be bought from the guild shop to become selectable (although doing these with AI party members is inadvisable), Errands are received from NPCs in towns. Additionally, there are also Bounties you can take from the guild shop. These are just orders to find and kill a certain monster that will only spawn with the bounty active. Do every single bounty, they are totally worth the effort.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So I've had Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion for awhile now...but I'm really not very good at it. Wiki didn't have anything so anyone have any good tips?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Perfect, thank you both!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any advice for Tropico 4 or Port Royale 3 (spesificly are there any solid trade routes that are better than others?)

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
For Tropico, if you pick the Booze Baron trait for your Presidente and then export rum/spiced rum you will make utterly obscene amounts of money.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Didion posted:

The game rewards a sneaky approach. Shooting a guy in a the face earns a little XP, taking him down nonlethally earns more, sneaking by him earns the most. Hacking also earns a barrel of XP. HOWEVER... don't worry about that. The only thing that XP does is give you Praxis (more augs) and you will be given tons of Praxis in the course of the game; in addition to XP, you can buy two at LIMB at the start of every episode, and you'll find others lying around. Combined with the fact that at least a third of the augs suck balls, you'll get all the augs you really need about halfway through. Therefore, don't bother hacking some computer you don't care about just for the XP, that will lead to boredom.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Elendil004 posted:

Any advice for Tropico 4 or Port Royale 3 (spesificly are there any solid trade routes that are better than others?)

The best income is to farm a single resource, and then using factories to turn them into food / alcohol / cigars to export.

Until you get a grasp on the game mechanics, and how to build effective road networks, the quickest way to generate money is to build a large ring around a fertile area of land, place farms inside the ring, and factories / utility buildings on the outside.

The way raw good are transported around the island as part of the production process is important when planning out a city, but if the entire product process takes place within and around the circle, and you don't actually have to worry about that until most of your city has been build somewhere else on the island.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Any advice for the King Arthur collection?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Thanks for the Tropico 4 tips, what about Port Royale 3? I really want to know what the best trade route to print money is so I can focus on the fun stuff.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Hank Morgan posted:

Any advice for the King Arthur collection?

Knights are one of three classes Might, Magic and Command but not necessarily pigeon holed into one role by their class because...
Knights skills are divided into two categories, Class skills (same for all knights of that class) and General Skills (tailor picked for each Knight). Counter-intuitively its the General skills that are more important and define what each individual knight is good for, for example Kay has a fog skill and a skill that makes friendly archers shoot 3 arrows per shot each making him king of destroying the enemy with mass archers all day long.
Might Knights that have bomb magic that hits all enemies close too them are extremely good in cavalry units for charging into a fight going badly and blowing everything up.
Don't underestimate the humble skill that prevents enemy units from moving, it looks boring, it sounds boring but it costs hardly any mana, lasts forever and works on enemy Melee Monster Knights.

Learn the armour types and the terrain they like/don't like fighting in, it makes a huge difference early on. Later who has the more bitching Might Knight leading their core infantry unit tends too be more decisive.
Archers murder lightly armoured units who run at them across a field. This includes light cavalry.
Heavily armoured infantry with shields can sit in a marsh and take archer fire until the battle time limit runs out, the AI will still shoot at them happily while you charge everything else.
Anyone can sit in a forest and largely ignore archers.
If an enemy Knight has an area damage spell the enemy AI will cast it on your lowest HP unit the second the battle begins every time. Bring a sacrificial level 1 archer unit and deploy them off to the side of your main army. The enemy Sidhe knights nearly all have an area damage spell, this doesnt get annoying by the 25th battle, not at all.

As for the campaign strategy and economy stuff you can search me, I swear I have done exactly the same thing on two consecutive runs and one ended bankrupt and the other with a bigger army than ever before. You definitely don't want too hold off on founding Camelot when the quest too take either London or Welshcityidontrememberthenameof comes up though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I just installed Dawn of Discovery Gold. I must have missed some tutorial option, or maybe I'm just too obtuse to figure out the first scenario, but I appear to be directed to commit some arson, and have no idea what to do or how to proceed. There also seems to be a ton of stuff I can build, but to what purpose I can't tell. Any advice?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also picked up Anno 2070 from the steam sale. Seems really fun so far. What ought I to know?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Elendil004 posted:

Also picked up Anno 2070 from the steam sale. Seems really fun so far. What ought I to know?

The thing that got me in my earliest Anno games was letting ascension get away from me. I've always found it better to disable it until I'm ready to build the chains necessary to support the new tier.

@Anno 1404 guy: The campaign is basically an extended tutorial.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Chief Savage Man posted:

@Anno 1404 guy: The campaign is basically an extended tutorial.

Thanks. I just figured out that I had launched the Venice add-on, which I guess assumes you've played the campaign, and so throws you in the semi-deep end. I just started up regular Anno 1404, and the beginning of the campaign seems much more like the shallow end.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Anything else for the first Fable?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Fable_1:_The_Lost_Chapters

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Haha it's hilarious that one of the tips is unironically "beat the poo poo out of your wife".

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing that this doesn't mention about Physical Shield - the spell basically functions like the Energy Shield of Diablo, absorbing damage from mana rather than health. However, in addition to that, it also both prevents flinching and - far more importantly - taking damage does not reduce your combat multiplier while active.

If you don't feel like doing stupid things like beating your wife, which is stupid, there's an arena a decent chunk of the way through the game. With Physical Shield and a nice stock of mana potions, you can get your combat multiplier into the mid-40s without trouble. Just quit out of the quest around 8 waves in and you'll retain the absurd amounts of XP and can run it again.

Also of note is that the rare potions you can find which give you a straight 1k experience of one type? Those are boosted by your multiplier too. Anything that gets your multiplier crazy high, use your potions then for a ridiculous amount of experience.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Be sure you're playing The Lost Chapters and not vanilla.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gynovore posted:

The game [Deus Ex: Human Revolution] rewards a sneaky approach.

And punishes the lethal approach.

No matter how much noise the non-lethal takedown may make in the animation, it is always completely silent for gameplay purposes. No matter how silent a lethal takedown appears to be in the animation, it always makes noise for gameplay purposes. The description for the silencers is a lie, they aren't meaningfully stealthy at all. The crossbow might be silent, but it doesn't kill in one shot and that first shot will alert the target, while the tranquilizer rifle (if you don't miss and hit a nearby wall) will never alert the target and will always put the target to sleep.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudorandom name posted:

And punishes the lethal approach.

No matter how much noise the non-lethal takedown may make in the animation, it is always completely silent for gameplay purposes. No matter how silent a lethal takedown appears to be in the animation, it always makes noise for gameplay purposes. The description for the silencers is a lie, they aren't meaningfully stealthy at all. The crossbow might be silent, but it doesn't kill in one shot and that first shot will alert the target, while the tranquilizer rifle (if you don't miss and hit a nearby wall) will never alert the target and will always put the target to sleep.

Also, you can take the invisibility cloak and forget about the footstep silencer. Enemies will say "Hey! I heard something!" but they won't take action.

This and others stuff is why I don't consider HR to be a real sequel to Deus Ex. In the original, you could choose between being a nano-auged killing machine, a stealthy ghost, or a hybrid approach. Here, stealth is forced on you. (Except the boss fights, where you have to rely on gimmicks).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's not at all "forced on you" because I played as a nano-auged killing machine. Hell, I played the game like Crysis which consisted of me setting up elaborate kills, luring enemies into traps, and swiftly clearing out entire rooms in a matter of seconds. You just have to remember that enemies don't drop a lot of ammo so stock up in stores, keep backup weapons, get the explosive upgrade for the revolver or armor piercing for the pistol, make every shot count, and use the super effective AoE weapons like grenades and mines. Gas grenades in particular can clear out entire rooms.

If anything the game punishes stealth. Alert enemies will randomly look behind themselves, the part with Malik is drat near impossible stealthily (cleared it in 30 seconds when I didn't have to worry about not killing/not being seen), and bosses will require you to stock up in their arenas if you don't have any explosives. Stealth take downs give bonus xp because you're purposefully handicapping yourself but XP is absolutely worthless, don't even worry about it. I don't even know why they give you XP for fighting people. You will get enough PRAXIS throughout the game. Play the game how you want because it gives you a ton of options, lethal and not, to get through it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, DXHR works great as a pure FPS, since you may gain a lot fewer XP but you also need very few augs - damage reduction and recoil compensation being the only critical ones. Then instead of bothering with hacking, sneaking, jumping etc. you can just walk around the empty levels at your leisure, picking up security codes from corpses and ignoring alarms. If you have the DLC (:argh:, that was total bullshit) you can even use the auto-hacks for the bonus-type containers.

What it does not work well for is the stealthy assassin gameplay (which is incidentally one of my favourites, sigh). If you go with the sneaking path, staying nonlethal is simply the better choice for 99% of the enemies you'll meet. In this sense Pseudorandom Name was completely correct.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Also, you can take the invisibility cloak and forget about the footstep silencer. Enemies will say "Hey! I heard something!" but they won't take action.
They'll take action by moving towards the location where they last heard you, by which time you've already moved on.

Gynovore posted:

This and others stuff is why I don't consider HR to be a real sequel to Deus Ex. In the original, you could choose between being a nano-auged killing machine, a stealthy ghost, or a hybrid approach. Here, stealth is forced on you. (Except the boss fights, where you have to rely on gimmicks).
My gimmick was carrying the rocket launcher everywhere I went.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I went to play Children of the Nile after starting up Caesar 3 and remembering how horribly it's aged. Are there any mods to make the UI not look like rear end at high resolutions? Last time I played I had 4:3 monitor, but at 1080p it just looks amazingly stretched and ugly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, DXHR works great as a pure FPS
Except for the bit where the shooty bits are sluggish and totally unsatisfying. Which is just a bit of a problem, I'd say.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To each their own because I loved the combat. Unless you're going for the achievement you can always switch playing styles at no penalty.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

al-azad posted:

To each their own because I loved the combat. Unless you're going for the achievement you can always switch playing styles at no penalty.

I enjoyed the combat as well, but still, I expected more from a box with 'Deus Ex' on the cover.

Actually, my main gripe was the lack of replay value. Since at least a quarter of the augs flat-out suck donkey anus, another quarter are situational at best, and you're given assloads of Praxis, there really is no difference between builds. The only choice you make is which weapons to carry and upgrade, and whether to try nonlethal (which I found boring as hell and quit before leaving Detroit).

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Anything for Warhammer: Dawn of War including Soulstorm, Dark Crusade, and Winter assault, or Warhammer: Dawn of War 2 including Retribution and Chaos Rising?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anything for Warhammer: Dawn of War including Soulstorm, Dark Crusade, and Winter assault, or Warhammer: Dawn of War 2 including Retribution and Chaos Rising?

Dawn of War: It's a pretty basic RTS with squads, only the focus is on capture and hold. It's really easy to pick up the basic's during the campaign, but multiplayer is a completely different story.

Winter Assault: Both campaigns are mostly identical. Just play your favorite race, don't bother with the others.

Dark Crusade: Easily the best of the series. Rush to capture the 'special' territories close to your starting position. Fight every AI attacking battle unless you've got a huge numerical advantage or you'll probably lose. The commander's

DoW 2: Focus on terrain and tactics. Scouts are the weakest by the numbers but can devastate the enemies with their special abilities if you use them right. Tactics and cover are much more important in this game then DoW 1. Capture special objectives every chance you get, they add special abilities that allow you to go nuts (getting multiple orbital bombardments for one)

Chaos Rising: The new 'corruption' aspect doesn't change anything major, just a few lines of dialogue and 1 boss. It's mostly a playstyle choice.

Retribution: Play Orcs or Tyranids. They're the only new feature to DoW 2 that is worth getting into.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Regarding DoW2 multiplayer:

If you are planning on doing DoW2 Multiplayer, play Retribution - it uses Steamworks. The other ones use GFWL.

Take advantage of cover and don't fight battles that you won't win. Some early game matchups are impossible to win unless you got the advantage of terrain and/or numbers. For example, one Guardsmen squad against a Space Marine squad.

Go capping like crazy. Especially power points, and build generators according to your build order. If you are planning on going fast into Tier 2, just create 3 generators, then expand once you get a bigger military presence. Requisition points "mature" over time, granting more points.

Whenever you win a battle in the early game, try to harass and destroy the enemy "power farm" - that is, his generators. That will set him back in the technology race.

Always move your set-up teams once your enemy knows about them.

Try all races, or at least read about them, so you know what can counter what. For example, if I get a Havoc Squad as Chaos (a set-up team with a heavy bolter) then the other guy will surely try to get jump infantry or infiltrators to take it out. So I get a melee squad, a vehicle or spotters to counter their counter.

Quick summary of the multiplayer races:

Space Marines: Durable, strong, expensive, and slow. They have some great shooting, better-than-average close quarters units, and really good heroes. Their vehicles are great too - the Dreadnought is a motherfucking beast. Just be careful - you will feel every loss. Also, Assault Marines work wonders against ranged infantry, but can't do poo poo about dedicated melee squads. Don't ever use the Orbital Bombardment global power - just get Terminators.

Eldar: Fast, fragile, and full of abilities. You need some good micro to make the most out of their units, and a mistimed charge will leave your army broken and dying. But if you manage the steep learning curve, you will see Eldar are almost unfair for the amount of damage they can dish out, even if they can't take any back. Their Warp Spider Exarch is a dick, since he can teleport all around the map to cap and de-cap stuff.

Orks: Cheap, great in melee, decent ranged power if massed, great global abilities, great commanders, funny as all hell. Even though it looks like an horde army, don't make that mistake. You can't afford to lose many Boyz until you got the lead.

Chaos Space Marines: The jack-of-all-trades army. Decent at everything, but with the option of specializing towards a particular field, thanks to the Chaos Gods marks. They got cannon fodder, unlike the regular Space Marines, but their vehicles and men aren't as powerful individually without some upgrading. Second best global super nuke in the game, after the Eldar.

Imperial Guard: You want a lot of men, and you want them all firing. Their early game requires some micro, due to their starting vehicle, but once you get a handful of Guardsmen squads and a Chimera to reinforce them, your enemy will be sweating. You want to force the enemy into an attrition war, but get some specialized melee units to counter-charge enemy formations trying to block your shooting. The Imperial Guard Weapon Team is kinda bugged though - don't use it.

Tyranids: Another horde army, but with some great shooting and melee. You can't go full melee with them, at least not early on. You need "command" broods to improve your weaker Gaunt hordes with their auras, but a savvy enemy will aim for them - if they die, they spread a shockwave on death that kills. They do have excellent mobility. Their global abilites suck, more often than not.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Finished Final Fantasy 13 last night; sort of loved parts of it, hated other parts of it with a passion. Just starting Final Fantasy 13-2 tonight.

Read the entry on beforeiplay, just a few other questions:

- Do I have to worry about upgrading items/weapons at all? I only really upgraded everyone's starting weapons and an accessory or two last time because it seemed like a colossal waste of time.
- What is the shop system like this time around?
- Are summons around this time? Are they any more useful this time? (In FF13 I don't think I could kill a single near-endgame enemy with one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Jetfire posted:

Finished Final Fantasy 13 last night; sort of loved parts of it, hated other parts of it with a passion. Just starting Final Fantasy 13-2 tonight.

Read the entry on beforeiplay, just a few other questions:

- Do I have to worry about upgrading items/weapons at all? I only really upgraded everyone's starting weapons and an accessory or two last time because it seemed like a colossal waste of time.
- What is the shop system like this time around?
- Are summons around this time? Are they any more useful this time? (In FF13 I don't think I could kill a single near-endgame enemy with one)

In order:
- It's been a little bit since I played 13-2, but I'm almost positive there is no upgrading of weapons like in 13. The only upgrading you'll be doing is by buying better weapons from the merchant
- There's only one merchant and she shows up at predetermined places in each time period. She sells everything you need, and the later you get in the game, the better stuff she has for sale
- Honest to god, I don't even remember if there are summons. I'm pretty sure there aren't.