Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I had my last cigarette on December 31st, at noon. I'd been smoking American Spirits for about a week, and it helped tremendously. My cravings are down, and my food intake is way up. Here goes a smoke free 2013!

Natural cigarettes have helped me a lot in curving my desire to smoke. Be careful with American Spirits though. They boast 120% more tobacco than an average cigarette, but they also contain 37%ish debased or deprotinated nicotine. I can't remember the science behind it but its the same difference between cocaine and crack cocaine. Basically they sprinkle three to four times as much "pure" nicotine on their cigarettes than all major brands.

Winstons are also additive free cigarettes and they're pretty awful. Winston Lights hurt my throat and chest much more than any Marlboro Red or Newport ever will. It helps a lot to make smoking not enjoyable. Its kind of like having someone who's trying to lose weight cut out any added sugars, spices, or butter on all their food. A lot of diet systems utilize this, like the Nutrisystem campaign. If you only eat food that tastes bad you won't eat as much :downs: . When people try to do this with smoking they tend to relapse back to their pack a day habit with dirty cigarettes under the excuse, "If im going to kill myself and feel terrible, I might as well enjoy it."

the_apache posted:

Christ on a bike, all these replies about "planning" to do this, that and the other. The best thing I've done with my smoking habit? I didn't set stupid goals.

Every time you want a cigarette, tell yourself no. Keep putting it off for as long as possible. When it gets too much, have a cigarette. I did this for 4-5 months and from 12-16 a day, I'm now on 3 or 4. I've come to realise that the more you think of quitting smoking and checking up on your progress, it just makes you think more about cigarettes and gives you more of a reason to have one more pack. Stop it in your own time and don't set stupid goals. Cut down gradually.

gently caress nicotine gum/inhalers, they taste like poo poo. I would (seriously) rather smoke a normal cigarette.

Those three to four cigarettes a day become the highlight of your day though. You schedule your life around them and they stay the key focus of your attention. Also like people mentioned it does take a huge amount of willpower to limit yourself for months and months on end. Its so easy to increase your smoking for whatever excuse you give yourself and fall back to half a pack or a pack a day. I've done what you have and been back at a pack a day probably three to four times in the last two years.

If its working congrats. You'll feel a lot better cutting out a dozen cigarettes in your day but for me its a far cry from ever being done with nicotine.

If you take the perspective of smoking being a drug addiction rather than a terrible habit then cutting down or tapering loses some of its appeal. "Four months ago I smoked meth every other day but now I only smoke meth once a week!"

Also I have the same attitude towards nicotine substitutes. Any kid of gum, lozenge, or snus makes my throat seize up and I'll also get a gag reflex pretty bad. The patch takes forever to kick in and when it does I get incredibly tired and sleepy. Cue that excuse I mentioned earlier, "If I'm going to be a nicotine addict I might as well (sort of) enjoy smoking cigarettes rather than not enjoy or actually detest the consumption of nicotine through alternate means."

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleshreaper
Sep 22, 2008
After smoking for 8 years, I quit for 2 months when I got so sick I couldn't smoke. This lead to some major depression, to the point of having trouble functioning at work. I relapsed for a week, then saw my doctor who put me on some anti-depressants. I haven't smoked for 3 weeks now and I feel allright so far.

It terrifies me when I think about the grip it had on me. Now the hard part is just to never smoke again I guess. My issues is alway "oh hey its just one with your friends for old times".

RandomlyEpic
Jan 7, 2013
I have been a smoker for a very long time and until recently have never had any desire to quit. However, in the last year I quit for half of it using the nicotine mini mints which did help a lot. For some strange and unexplained reason I began smoking again, just not quite as much. I like the idea of this thread and will be checking back on it for some quitting inspiration!

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Fleshreaper posted:

My issues is alway "oh hey its just one with your friends for old times".

But you're not a smoker anymore. If you were still a smoker, then yeah it would be hard, but you quit smoking. Why would you be tempted to have a cigarette if you don't smoke?

Fleshreaper
Sep 22, 2008
Probably because I miss it, and still wish I could smoke. The mentality of being a smoker is so ingrained in my mind that I had never thought of my self as a "non-smoker". I guess its time to start thinking that way.

Honestly I'm sure I used it a social crutch as well.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
If you have stopped all nicotine for more than one week then it's all in your head. Have one (don't buy a pack), it will either make you feel ill or do nothing at all.

Then ask yourself if all the benefits of not smoking are worth any perceived benefits you might have of becoming a nicotine addict again.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

jax posted:

If you have stopped all nicotine for more than one week then it's all in your head. Have one (don't buy a pack), it will either make you feel ill or do nothing at all.

Then ask yourself if all the benefits of not smoking are worth any perceived benefits you might have of becoming a nicotine addict again.

I made it three or four weeks before breaking down the first time I tried to quit and it neither made me feel ill nor did it do nothing, it made me feel jittery and awesome and gave me a nicotine buzz. This advice may have worked for you but I don't think "try smoking again" after just one week is going to reliably going to lead you "you're right, that was awful," and in the off-chance it leads to "that was incredible, why did I ever quit, I love this" it's probably not all that solid of advice.

The rest of it is totally solid though, it does eventually become all in your head, you are now a non-smoker and the perceived benefits of smoking are quickly forgotten.

Seriously, I can't remember why I used to smoke, except that "not doing it" was sort of hard, which is basically the stupidest reason to do something when it is expensive, harmful and disgusting all in one!

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Yeah one week is a bit optimistic (and bad advice!), though that's the time it took for me to notice no effect.

Probably not universal but most people I know noticed the same thing, that sense of relief and pleasure didn't happen once the nicotine left the system. Basically once you get to a certain time period you're not depriving yourself of something (physically) pleasurable, there's no addiction to feed.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
uncle bens low fat puaddings
Alright, I've been smoking for about 4 years now, my peak was a pack a day but since the last time I tried to quit I think I'm at about 12-14 a day now.

My habit's very ritualistic... I smoke on my way to work, on my way to lunch, on my way back from lunch, after work, after eating, waiting for the mechanic, in moments of boredom, etc.

I'm on day 2 (~36 hours in) at the moment. I took a single puff of my roommate's cig yesterday, and while it was beyond satisfying, I know it leads to relapses so I really can't do that anymore. My girlfriend's been really supportive and reassuring, and has at the same time been doling out some tough love and telling me to stop focusing so much on the incoming hardships and just know I can quit. I don't want to tell my parents I'm quitting until I'm a ways into it, as I'm sure it's getting disappointing for them to see me start again.

So far it's been good, one thing that helps majorly is acknowledging the craving and introspecting, trying to identify why EXACTLY I feel like I require a cigarette, and then realizing that I'm enough of a badass to not have my world collapse around me if I don't give in to that craving.

However, the last two times I quit, my relapse was when I was out at the bar with friends. That's always one of my biggest triggers, being at the bar, and while I know that I should realistically remove myself from that trigger until the cravings subside a bit, my last six months have been more or less devoid of a proper social life (long story short, was preparing for a vacation and it took up all my spare time and money) and I really want to you know, hang out with my friends and go to the bar and poo poo.

I'm thinking of buying NJoy disposable e-cigs before I go for nights out. My concern is the level of nicotine - in this situation the craving seems to be for the physical act of smoking more than for nicotine, so I don't want to introduce it back into my system if a substitute will do.

So my posting in this thread is fourfold basically:

1) To congratulate all that have successfully quit and defeated the nicotine monster

2) To vent a little bit to people that have actually taken this journey

3) To get some reassurance that it is possible to truly regain control and quit cold turkey

4) To see if anyone can recommend a low-nicotine disposable e-cig, to deal with cravings on nights out without puffing on an actual cigarette

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

DoleMIGHTY posted:

I'm on day 2 (~36 hours in) at the moment. I took a single puff of my roommate's cig yesterday, and while it was beyond satisfying, I know it leads to relapses so I really can't do that anymore.

As soon as you took that puff, that counts as smoking. So is it 36 hrs from that puff?

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007

Twat McTwatterson posted:

As soon as you took that puff, that counts as smoking. So is it 36 hrs from that puff?

It is now!

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

I'm in the 19th hour and I think I would sell my soul to satan for a puff this past hour. Not feeling good.
I keep thinking- if only I had stayed quit that last time I would be well past all this bs.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Whoever suggested the toothpick thing, it's working! I don't care how much of a tool I look like.

The only problem I'm having is stopping myself from smoking when something lovely happens. For instance a couple days ago I had quit for about a week when I was out at a nightclub with my best friend who is also quitting. It was tough for both of us seeing as we used to smoke so much together when we went out, but we were going ok. Then I got myself kicked out, got in a "gently caress everything" mood, and went to buy a pack of smokes. I think I went through about 18-20 of them (though I remember giving plenty out to random people on the street).

So question: how do I stop using bad circumstance as an excuse to have a cigarette?

edit: I'm pretty sure the gently caress everything mood is why I started smoking in the first place

The Mutato fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 8, 2013

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

The Mutato posted:

So question: how do I stop using bad circumstance as an excuse to have a cigarette?

Man up. Once you have made it through some poo poo without a smoke, then you know you can. It hardens your resolve. You just need to believe!

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
So today is 7 months and 4 days.

I feel great even though sometimes I still miss having a cigarette, but it's more of a social thing than anything. But at that point I remember that the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits. I mean, with the money I saved I actually bought a computer. The moment I realised that I was always broke because my cigarette habit costs me more than 200€ a month was truly mind-blowing because I had been denying that for a long time.

However there was that one day that I bummed a couple of cigarettes of my co-workers, but that was 2 months ago and it was a party at work which was insane. Afterwards I felt pretty bad, but the best solution was to keep going strong. There were no withdrawal symptoms, which was a comforting feeling. So since then I haven't had a cigarette, so it looks like I have it under control. I just need to keep myself in check during those very drunk, social events.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
I took the plunge last week. I'm generally okay with it although I've had a few mental arguments with myself...

"Hey our corner store! I should just grab a pack for the occasional one..."
"No, gently caress off"

Otherwise it's been pretty good, except it's ramping up my appetite which I have to fight now too. I'll have a decent breakfast of eggs and fruit, have some fruit for a snack, big salad with chicken for lunch and a decent protein/veggy dinner.

I started dieting to lose a few pounds before the new year, and everything had been fine up until I quit smoking. The hunger pangs are weird, I'll have the same style mental conversations...

"Oh poo poo! McDonald's! Maybe just a couple small McDoubles! It won't kill you!"
"No, gently caress off"

It's surprising how nice it's been so far not smoking though. It's not like things taste a million times better, or smell a million times better (or maybe they do, I'm stuffed up most of the winter), it's the little things. I was able to take a really deep breath of air for the last couple of days without coughing or choking and my throat feels... good?

My wife still smokes, but it doesn't bother me when she does. She'll go outside at home, we walk together and drive together while she smokes and I really don't have any desire to actually have one with her anymore.

Day 8, going well so far!

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007

sh1fty posted:

Whatever you guys do, do NOT take Champix. I work with a guy on it and he has become a loving scary monster. I'd rather be with someone who smoked any day than someone on that poo poo.

You ain't kiddin!

quote:

What are the most common side effects?
In clinical trials, the most common side effects of CHANTIX include:

Nausea (30%)
Sleep problems (trouble sleeping, changes in dreaming)
Turning into a scary monster
Constipation
Gas
I'd rather be with someone who smoked any day than someone on this poo poo
Vomiting

(he probably cares more about quitting smoking than the temporary personality changes, this is p. bad advice dude)

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane

DoleMIGHTY posted:

You ain't kiddin!

(he probably cares more about quitting smoking than the temporary personality changes, this is p. bad advice dude)

I disagree, there are plenty of benign ways to quit smoking. Losing your sanity isn't worth it. Just pop a lozenge or gum when things get hairy. As a person with past mental health issues, I'm glad I saw that post.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Just wanted to say that it's totally worth quitting, and no matter who you are, you can do it if you want it badly enough and use whatever support is available/you need to do so. I started smoking when I was 19, was good for about a pack to two packs a day for the next eight years or so. I quit cold turkey, finally, back in October of 2011, and haven't touched one since. I don't have cravings anymore, I can move more easily, I'm even playing sports again and loving it.

There is nothing good about cigarettes aside from the wonderful feeling you get when you feed your addiction, and it only gets better once you're off them for real.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
I quit smoking early in 2012 and I feel like I am now The poo poo at everything physical compared to what I was. I also save a gently caress-tonne of money and don't smell bad. It is all around a good idea to quit smoking, and I feel like a part of me has matured for not needing/wanting to do something so compulsively anymore.

Hopefully someone reads those two sentences and something 'clicks' with them and spurs them on to give it up. I went cold turkey in the middle of an overseas trip and a subsequent house move - change of environment is all you need.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007

pastorrich posted:

I disagree, there are plenty of benign ways to quit smoking. Losing your sanity isn't worth it. Just pop a lozenge or gum when things get hairy. As a person with past mental health issues, I'm glad I saw that post.

Well, I'd say your situation warrants a different solution, but I'm also pretty sure your doctor would alert you of those particular effects if you have prior mental health issues.

I also know three people that have quit successfully (2+ years now, each) using chantix, and while they did have some side effects (one dude said he found himself putting on deathmetal and doing pushups several times just because it jacks you up apparently) they all vouch for its effectiveness.

It's def. not for everyone, but I'd say it's a far cry from "DO NOT TAKE THIS WHATEVER YOU DO".

DoleMIGHTY fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 9, 2013

Dumpstar
Jul 24, 2001

I think I just need to check in everyday to this thread for encouragement, and finish the Alan Carr book.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
It's been 46 hours since my last cigarette. I decided to quit cold turkey in the middle of my pack due to feeling like poo poo. I've had a number of multiple weeks without smoking in the past months, but I have a real problem with the combination of friends, alcohol and not smoking. Maybe I should lay of the beers for a few weeks until I can let the habit sink in?

EDIT: Also I feel so exhausted right now I didn't even bother showering or shaving this morning. Sorry fellow team members. :(

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

It's been 46 hours since my last cigarette. I decided to quit cold turkey in the middle of my pack due to feeling like poo poo. I've had a number of multiple weeks without smoking in the past months, but I have a real problem with the combination of friends, alcohol and not smoking. Maybe I should lay of the beers for a few weeks until I can let the habit sink in?

EDIT: Also I feel so exhausted right now I didn't even bother showering or shaving this morning. Sorry fellow team members. :(

The exhaustion will pass and when it does you'll start feeling better and better. The first few days are physically rough but you can do it! Besides, it's worth it, that's why you quit.

As for the social situations, what worked for me was asking my friends to not give me any cigarettes. After a few beers that turned into: Slap me in the face if I ask for a cigarette. It worked, even though they never slapped me they did turn me down ever time. It can be hard but if your friends help you it gets a bit easier.

Also, if they smoke outside don't go after them, even if that means that you're alone for a couple of minutes. If you feel comfortable enough you can join them, but when you really feel like smoking don't go after them. Those are the moments to avoid especially when there is a physical addiction, not just a mental one. Because when they go outside they go outside with the sole purpose of smoking. Even more important: don't go outside when you're a bit drunk, it's even harder.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I might be trying to quit, I don't know, but it's day two over here and having to sit here until I teach my next class for two hours without smoking at all is loving torture.

DoleMIGHTY
Oct 23, 2007
drat, 3 days in and I'm already starting to realize how I smelled right after coming back in from a smoke... even in a crowded bar I could smell it on my buddy and it's really disconcerting in retrospect.

Still going strong though, this thread helps a lot!

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Draadnagel posted:

So today is 7 months and 4 days.

I feel great even though sometimes I still miss having a cigarette, but it's more of a social thing than anything. But at that point I remember that the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits. I mean, with the money I saved I actually bought a computer. The moment I realised that I was always broke because my cigarette habit costs me more than 200€ a month was truly mind-blowing because I had been denying that for a long time.

However there was that one day that I bummed a couple of cigarettes of my co-workers, but that was 2 months ago and it was a party at work which was insane. Afterwards I felt pretty bad, but the best solution was to keep going strong. There were no withdrawal symptoms, which was a comforting feeling. So since then I haven't had a cigarette, so it looks like I have it under control. I just need to keep myself in check during those very drunk, social events.

After reading that post, how can you say 7 months and 4 days?

Seems to me to be 2 months. Fantastic job, but don't play the game you playing. It makes it easier to slip because you've already prepared the slip in your mind- I had one and it was ok, if I have one now I'll still be ok and I can still say 7 months.

Not how it works. 2 months is where you're at.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
The past couple weeks I transitioned to using e-cigs about half the time, and completely switched a few days ago. Obviously not the same as completely quitting, but I'm already finding it easier to start breaking my rituals/routines (I think I went about 4-5 hours yesterday without puffing on it and didn't even notice, when I was an hourly smoker) and have noticed a huge difference with my breathing and how I feel.

Getting good equipment and e-juice makes all the difference. The crappy ones really suck.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, I've traded in a nicotine habit for a caffeine habit, but I guess it's a better deal overall. Basically, I find it's a lot easier if you find something else you can do to replace the periods of time you used to spend smoking cigarettes. Make coffee or walk around your block or chew on a stick of gum or something.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
I don't quite understand why this statement 'oh I had a cigarette yesterday after not having one for 12 months, I have now been a non-smoker for 1 day' is useful for stopping smoking. I stopped smoking 4 months ago but I had a few cigarettes (typically when drunk) in the first couple of months, I think I would have been massively demotivated if I'd have considered that having one meant I had only given up for 'a few hours'.

It's dangerous adopting that mentality because instead of thinking 'I don't smoke, that cigarette was just a blip' you might just as well think 'Oh god I'm a smoker again, I'm addicted, I need another cigarette'. I don't necessarily agree that absolutism with regard to giving up is always a good thing, though it's certainly very important in the first month.

But it all depends on your personality and individual addiction I suppose.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Royality posted:

But it all depends on your personality and individual addiction I suppose.

Definitely.

My above post worked for me in this fashion: if I'm at 7 months, then I'm no longer physically addicted. Mentally maybe, but physically definitely not. That means that I can rationally think about choosing to smoke this cigarette or not; that is, I am not physically compelled to smoke it.

Therefore, if I make that choice, in my mind the past 7 months has literally gone up in smoke. For me, that guilt, that albatross around my neck, realizing that I had been smoke free for 7 months, now I'm "technically" on day 1, well that feeling of guilt is overwhelmingly despondent.

That guilt is greater than wanting to smoke a cigarette while drunk/with friends/whatever excuse you want.

When GUILT>SMOKE, you've won the battle. Just ain't worth giving up that amount of time smoke free only to then put cancer back into your body. For most people, it will take multiple attempts for this to be realized. 1 month smoke free, had a smoke, poo poo... 3 months, got drunk had a smoke, gently caress I feel like poo poo. This quit attempt now at 7 months, gently caress no ain't worth it.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I've been thinking about quitting for a while, but it's mostly the "Smoke last one in the pack and tell myself I won't buy more then an hour or two later find myself at the gas station counter" type of thinking about quitting.

I know it's mostly just the decision not to do that kind of crap, but for some reason nicotine is the hardest thing I've ever tried to stop. (Compared to alcohol, pot, being a lazy fat rear end, etc...)

Is there anything that'll diminish the desire to smoke? I'm trying to use sunflower seeds and gum at work, but it's not really helping. For the record I've "quit" for a couple days here and there but I typically smoke about two packs over three days.

ndyce
Sep 19, 2003

That Robot sodomized McDonalds with a Shotgun!

Fleshreaper posted:

After smoking for 8 years, I quit for 2 months when I got so sick I couldn't smoke. This lead to some major depression, to the point of having trouble functioning at work.

I smoked a pack a day for the better part of seven years, and have been quit for four months. I did it cold turkey, had a prescription for wellbutrin was too stubborn to use it. The one thing I did in preparation was quit smoking in my car, I broke that habit a few months before I quit and it helped tremendously. I'd been trying to quit all summer, and some time in September I got sick and knew if I kept smoking I'd land my self in the hospital. I quit for a lot of reasons, promised myself I'd quit when I finished college, health, money, and over the last six months of smoking I went from a pack to a pack and a half a day which was hurting me.

I've certainly got some kind of depression, as well as anger issues. Fortunately I haven't punched anything since month two. There was a week around the two month mark where I was freaking out pretty hard. I spent half an hour crying and screaming one night, broke a couple of household items, punched a filing cabinet and damaged my hand. At that point I could feel the part of my consciousness that was given up to cigarettes still lingering and pulling at my attention. I've had to ask my manager to be relieved at work several times, fearing I was going to snap at a customer or co-worker to the degree I could loose my job. Not smoking is rough, I let it become a little blow off for all my daily stress. I'm getting though it and learning how to cope without a cigarette crutch.

As far as I've experienced there is no substitute for a cigarette. Toothpicks were close, but with one perched on my lip all day my lip started getting raw. Currently I have a couple of dice in my lighter pocket that I roll when it occurs to me that I should have a cigarette. It doesn't help much with a craving, but its something to do.

ndyce fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 13, 2013

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

ndyce posted:

I've certainly got some kind of depression, as well as anger issues. Fortunately I haven't punched anything since month two. There was a week around the two month mark where I was freaking out pretty hard. I spent half an hour crying and screaming one night, broke a couple of household items, punched a filing cabinet and damaged my hand.

This happened to me too, the anger went away before the depression unfortunately but 4 months on and I've just got past it. My girlfriend got the brunt of the anger (which she was very understanding about!) but the depression is harder to deal with - it helped that I could rationalise it away because I was giving up smoking. One thing is for sure though - giving up smoking can definitely seriously gently caress with your mental health. I genuinely thought I had a serious problem that was unrelated to stopping smoking at some points but slowly you readjust and you don't want to tell people they're cunts or find yourself with that hopeless feeling in your chest!

My point being I think that is absolutely a normal thing to happen, and the best thing you can do is remind yourself that it's just a chemical reaction in your brain and in a way it's a good thing - just another sign of your body healing. It goes away fairly quickly I think.

Harakiri
Dec 23, 2012

Do not attempt to leave the building.
So I woke up wheezing and barely able to breathe (not for the first time) a few days ago. It was to the point that even though it was 3am and I really wanted more sleep before I went to work, I had to get up because laying down made it so hard to breathe it was painful. This time I finally conceded that I might have to quit smoking. I have known this for a while as my Dr has told me on several occasions, during bouts of chest problems, that quitting smoking is going to be my only option if I don't want to end up tied to an oxygen tank at a fairly young age (I am 27). No idea why me, a bunch of people my age have smoked at least as long as me and have not had health problems yet, luck of the draw I guess.

I know I should have quit a long time ago but the problem is not only that I enjoy smoking (you have to want to quit) but several previous attempts have been so awful they put me off attempting it again for a fairly long time. There have been times I have actually wanted to but been frightened to even try. The longest period of time I quit for was with patches, after about 3 months I was so depressed/angry/emotional that I just couldn't cope with it anymore. There were not even any reinforcing factors that I remember, so many people talk about their sense of taste and smell returning, having more energy etc. All that happened for me was crying a hell of a lot. The other serious attempt was on Champix and after a few weeks I just couldn't handle the side effects, although I didn't find that not smoking bothered me very much while I was on it. I feel kind of trapped by smoking, I really don't want to be a smoker anymore and I am so worried about my health but every quit attempt has been a disaster. The more short lived attempts have involved e-cigs, gum, inhalators, stop smoking clinics, that Alan Carr book, even acupuncture. I am running out of ideas.

I decided to try again with Champix, mostly because even though the side effects are a bit rough, I work in the service industry and honestly can't see myself dealing with people well while experiencing the level of anxiety and rage and depression that I remember withdrawal causing. I value my job! I am still on the lower starter dose but it seems to have kicked in immediately, I am not even at my quit date yet but have almost zero urge to smoke, I went from 20 per day to around 5 in 3 days and when I do smoke I light up, realise it tastes like crap and I didn't really want it and put it out again half way through. Result! The nausea isn't as bad as I remember and only lasts about 20 mins. The more difficult stuff is the awful dreams and feeling low and SO tired, it may be unrelated but for the first time I remember since a major tragedy happened in my life a few years back, I called in sick because I was just too tired and had zippo motivation to leave the house. Its not like me at all. I am praying that its just a one off as if its not I am going to have to rethink my strategy and I find it so effective at killing cravings/withdrawal symptoms. Its the mental fogginess that happened last time that got to me, I felt so out of it after a while on the stuff and my mood was so crappy that it was becoming difficult to do anything. So I stopped taking and was smoking again a few days later.

I know it sounds like I am being a big baby. I have friends that have said they just decided to quit and did, they had a few rough days and coped by eating mints or playing with a tangle toy, but that is not my experience at all. Same with Champix, I don't know anyone who has taken it personally but some people seem to find the side effects mild or at least tolerable. I just want this time to be it. The only people I know who are not smokers planning to stay smokers or people who have never smoked are in the 'just did it one day, wasn't so bad' category hence the venting at a forum. Hopefully this time I will remain (comparatively) sane and it wont be such a big deal.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Harakiri posted:

So I woke up wheezing and barely able to breathe (not for the first time)

Harakiri posted:

I know I should have quit a long time ago but the problem is not only that I enjoy smoking

How much longer you gonna let yourself be duped, man? Clowns belong in the circus. You getting clowned.

Twat McTwatterson fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 17, 2013

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Round 3 4.
My doctor said that poo poo's serious and DO END THIS NOW when I made x-ray for applying a visa.

This time, I'll just try to see how long I could last. If it's more than 24 hours, I'm free!
:smithicide:

Supporting factor is that I'm out of cigs and money. I couldn't buy one even if I wanted to.
So if I break (and I likely will), I'm still on heavily reduced amount (ones I can beg for). Two packs a day I can not beg.

If all fails, I'll go for some heavy meds (if they exist). Round 3 4 means that I lack willpower and books/horrible lung pictures don't work at all for me.
Also, I'm going into my change jar to get some sunflower seeds. If anything ever worked, they did.

This post is deja vu as hell.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 17, 2013

Harakiri
Dec 23, 2012

Do not attempt to leave the building.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

How much longer you gonna let yourself be duped, man? Clowns belong in the circus. You getting clowned.

Yeah, that's addiction I guess. Of course I hate the resulting health issues, when I say I enjoy smoking I guess I mean it's familiar. It punctuates my day and helps me calm down when I am stressed and I associate it with mostly positive things, the first thing I do when I relax after work, socialising (most my friends and all my family smoke). I started at 14 so it feels a bit like what I have always done, certainly as an adult. Thinking about it, it's probably more attachment than enjoyment.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Harakiri posted:

Yeah, that's addiction I guess. Of course I hate the resulting health issues, when I say I enjoy smoking I guess I mean it's familiar. It punctuates my day and helps me calm down when I am stressed and I associate it with mostly positive things, the first thing I do when I relax after work, socialising (most my friends and all my family smoke). I started at 14 so it feels a bit like what I have always done, certainly as an adult. Thinking about it, it's probably more attachment than enjoyment.

Everybody says this poo poo and feels this way, dude. You can beat it; it's all a lie. I promise I said those exact words to myself and now recognize it all as addiction lying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Harakiri posted:

I smoked for 18 years and I told myself the same stupid things. They're excuses, that's all they are. I, too, had reached the point in my life where I had spent more of it smoking than not smoking, and thought I would never quit. Cigarettes would kill me. This depressed me. This made me smoke. I thought it made me feel happy and less stressed. It absolutely doesn't. That is the nicotine lying to you. These are the things you tell yourself because your brain craves its fix. It's all utter, complete, fabulous bullshit. There is nothing positive at all about smoking.

• Locked thread