Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I usually try and name all of my Krogan "FOUR TOOCHONKAH" and most Quarian Females "BANANA".

I don't know if anyone will get the Quarian thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I just let my cat walk over my keyboard for a few seconds.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Nordick posted:

(My Fury's still called Nydia)

My friend named one of his twin daughters Nydia. Is it from like a book or something, or do you both have the same taste in names?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Demitri Omni posted:

I usually try and name all of my Krogan "FOUR TOOCHONKAH" and most Quarian Females "BANANA".

My Tooth!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arcaeris posted:

My friend named one of his twin daughters Nydia. Is it from like a book or something, or do you both have the same taste in names?
I have no idea if it's from something, it just popped into my head and sounded fitting. :shrug:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Charlie Mopps posted:

I just let my cat walk over my keyboard for a few seconds.

Don't hit delete.

I usually go with really boring one syllable names like Bob or Al for the most part. Except for the Krogans and the Vorcha. The Krogan are some variation of Buttons, Buttercup or Binky. I got a Vorcha Sent, named him Dr. Teeth and now I'm naming the rest after the band.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I named all my Voluses after ruthless philosophers (Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, etc) because they seem like the kinds of nerds who would do that and my krogans are Rash, Zitz, and Pimple. Luckily the krodept hasn't dropped for me yet, because he's going to throw off the whole dynamic! I'm also fond of Battlin' Bob the Batarian Brawler.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Within 10 seconds of a round 4 possessed praetorians. :waycool:

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Demitri Omni posted:

That joke started when the demo came out.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Got most of my names from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Who wouldn't want to hire Butch Deadlift the Volus Mercenary or Bob Johnson the Batarian Vanguard?

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Coming back to this - is the talon + geth infiltrator combo still really strong? What else are some of the stronger classes now?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Judas Priest posted:

Coming back to this - is the talon + geth infiltrator combo still really strong? What else are some of the stronger classes now?

It is, the Talon is pretty good on anything, but I think it's a bit of wasted potential. If you're going Geth Infiltrator, you may as well slap something heavier with even more punch on it, like a Piranha or Reegar. Talon is pretty awesome for caster classes as it's reasonably light, and the Geth Inf. doesn't care that much about cooldown.

The strongest class right now (in terms of survivability and DPS) is probably the Turian Ghost Infiltrator with a Harrier. Stim packs are basically better Ops Survival Packs that you can replenish at ammo boxes and his Cloak ability has an AR bonus damage evolution.

The Geth Trooper (when skipping Hunter Mode completely) is also a powerhouse and has a flamer that deals ungodly amounts of damage. I like to run it with a Reegar against Shields / Barriers and between that and the flamer you've got incredibly potent stuff against any defense. Plus the flamer can set up Fire Explosions for teammates.

The new Drell Infiltrator is also pretty awesome and probably my favorite class for classic sniping, like with a Black Widow. Along with his Recon Mine he's pretty good at locking down entire rooms or corridors just by himself and he's a real boss killer.

E: Depending on when you stopped playing there have also been massive boosts to other stuff.
They've boosted tech combos a while back and therefore the N7 Paladin Sentinel is now an absolute death machine, as you can pretty much just cast any of your three powers all willy nilly, all the time, and fire of some kind of tech explosion at any given point.

The Human Adept is also really good now since they've buffed Singularity, quite possibly my favorite Adept at the moment.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 6, 2013

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Judas Priest posted:

The talon + anything is a great combo for the most part, but yeah, it rocks rear end on GI with stability and bonus damages and that proxy mine debuff.

In addition to the GI, the Paladin is extremely powerful due to the endless techsplosions, the Turian Ghost for his assault rifle passives and cloak bonus, the two new Asari and Drell characters can do some serious damage as well. All the old go-to classes are still good, though sabotage is no longer nearly as good as it once was, and decoy isn't as useful either since it can't trick Banshees or phantoms anymore.

The Volus classes aren't powerhouses of damage, but they are amazing support classes, especially the engineer. You can turn any team-mate into Big McLargehuge with him.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

a big fat bunny posted:

Got most of my names from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Who wouldn't want to hire Butch Deadlift the Volus Mercenary or Bob Johnson the Batarian Vanguard?
You'd better have a Volus named Roll Fizzlebeef

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Houdini posted:

That joke started when the demo came out.

I never knew if it was actually a thing, I just knew that me and a few friends always called it out for a while early on.

Also, is it me, or do the Volus have two seperate lines for their patriotic callout? I could swear I've heard them say "For Eye-roon" and also "For Ear-roon-ey".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1st AD posted:

Dude has all character cards maxed, but only a Hurricane V

Eh? I've had all characters maxed forever and only a Hurricane II.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm back to playing this game again after taking a long break. They added a bunch of great stuff while I was gone, but it seems you still can't rebind keys in multiplayer? On my Human Engineer I have Incenerate set to button 2, but on my Salarian Engineer it's set to 3 by default. I remember this driving me crazy last time I played.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm back to playing this game again after taking a long break. They added a bunch of great stuff while I was gone, but it seems you still can't rebind keys in multiplayer? On my Human Engineer I have Incenerate set to button 2, but on my Salarian Engineer it's set to 3 by default. I remember this driving me crazy last time I played.

Yeah it's inconsistent, but I honestly haven't even thought about this since the demo. It's probably best to not spend too much thought on it and you should get used to it soon enough!

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
loving Human Vanguards.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Was using the Viper to get some progress done towards the Sniper Rifles challenge done, and whoa boy does this gun have some dick on it. A 6-shot mag with decent damage for each shot, and that sound that it makes with each shot. Granted, I only tried it on Silver, but I think it'll transition well over to Gold and it's Shield gate mechanics.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gold and Platinum have the same shield gate as Silver now.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Is it just me, or did they put the charge time back on the Acolyte's shots recently? :saddowns: Makes it about as useful as a Krysae now.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Serpentis posted:

Is it just me, or did they put the charge time back on the Acolyte's shots recently? :saddowns: Makes it about as useful as a Krysae now.

I think they put that back in with the update that unlocked the drell infiltrator and the rest of the classes. I'm pretty sure they did it because taking the charge off didn't stop missile glitchers.

It's still pretty good on a human adapt for the instant shield strip into singularity.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Serpentis posted:

Don't say things you can't take back.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I'm mainly a Silver player but I sometimes I like a challenge so I put it on Gold with my Fury. Collectors on Gold is surprisingly challenging and is so much bullshit that it's kind of fun.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Burning Mustache posted:

Yeah it's inconsistent, but I honestly haven't even thought about this since the demo. It's probably best to not spend too much thought on it and you should get used to it soon enough!

Yea, I'll hopefully get used to it in a few days of regular play. It's really only a problem for Engineer and Vanguard.

I just unlocked the Geth Soldier and holy poo poo does the flame attack destroy everything in range. My only question is who thought the god awful HUD popup for Hunter Mode was a good idea? :colbert:

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
SMG Mastery was the grindiest of grinds. I swear I will never touch another SMG not named "Hurricane" after this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Serpentis posted:

The acolyte went from good to horribly brokenly good, then back to good again. Even with the charge time, it's still a high-damage AoE that murders shields and weighs as much as a pillow. You just have to be more careful with your shots now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any further updates/speculation on that rumored MP DLC that's supposed to drop between late January - early February?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think it's important to remember with the acoylte you don't have to charge up all the way for it to stun enemies. It's still a good volus engineer weapon because it can give you the time to get a proximity mine off or run away (or end up second place in scoring with bad groups).

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Been so busy I didn't even notice there was an Asari Infiltrator. Wish the ME wiki site was a better organized but it looks like you can do biotic explosions while cloaked as her? Wondering if that's as powerful as I think it is.

exquisite tea posted:

Any further updates/speculation on that rumored MP DLC that's supposed to drop between late January - early February?

If it drops late Feb I'll probably be there to play it while it's fresh and all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cleatcleat posted:

Been so busy I didn't even notice there was an Asari Infiltrator. Wish the ME wiki site was a better organized but it looks like you can do biotic explosions while cloaked as her? Wondering if that's as powerful as I think it is.

You can in theory but the evolutions you would have to take in the Cloak tree to make it work (duration and bonus power) pale in comparison to taking all damage evolutions and tossing out super-powered Dark Channels and Warps.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I doubt the cloak buff affects explosions. Most power damage buffs don't affect them, the only things they check are the levels of the two powers and if there are specific detonation-related buffs.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Rick posted:

I think it's important to remember with the acoylte you don't have to charge up all the way for it to stun enemies. It's still a good volus engineer weapon because it can give you the time to get a proximity mine off or run away (or end up second place in scoring with bad groups).

Wait, wait, wait. Did they change the mechanics on it? Last I checked the acolyte required a minimum charge up time, and once charged it didn't aquire additional damage. Still wont change my strategy of never letting go of my right trigger when playing the fury, but still.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Elotana posted:

I doubt the cloak buff affects explosions. Most power damage buffs don't affect them, the only things they check are the levels of the two powers and if there are specific detonation-related buffs.

I think you're correct, if I'm not mistaken earlier in this thread somebody mentioned that mechanic working that way

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've been going challenge crazy lately, and let me say going from solo bronzes and pubbie silvers with lovely weapons I never use to goon golds with a full kit is awesome.

I was about to quit the game out of frustration.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
Posting to say I sent a friend request to N7 Goons (same GT as forum name). Endless silver runs is getting dull, and pubbie golds just hurt (to be fair, I probably do kind of suck).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Don't say things you can't take back.

I have no intention of doing so. The Krysae and I really do not get along at all. That being said, I guess I'll give the Acolyte another shot in some lower difficulty games and see if I can't re-establish a rhythm with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KidKrampus posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Did they change the mechanics on it? Last I checked the acolyte required a minimum charge up time, and once charged it didn't aquire additional damage. Still wont change my strategy of never letting go of my right trigger when playing the fury, but still.

You can let go before the "charge full" noise comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Elotana posted:

Right, what I meant to say was "you can in theory do DC-Warp combos while in stealth with the proper evolutions," not "biotic explosions receive bonus damage from Cloak."

• Locked thread